Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Badbark wrote: »
    I've checked the official site and found that the water bottles will be 250ml but can't find any info on the Energise sports drinks. Does anyone know the amount of ml in these drinks supplied during the marathon?

These usually come in 500ml bottles AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Badbark

ecoli wrote: »

Cool thanks. I'm just working out my fuelling and and fluid strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

I just noticed on the official
    "There is one mass start for ALL at 09:00 hrs”
    I would have thought they might have let the first wave go i.e < 3.30 , then the second wave 3.30-4.15, and then the third and final wave “>4.15”?
    I remember the half marathon they allow a slight gap between each wave –which was great as it was less congested…
    I’m guess what I’m saying that “if there is one mass start” then it is obv going to make the first mile very slow due to congestion?

Also this might appear as a bit of a daft question but sure how bad..I'm a first timer :rolleyes:….Do the pacers carry the balloons for the entire race or just for the first mile or two in the DCM…obv easier to ID them with the balloon if one was to lose them during the course of the race.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    pdiddyw wrote: »
    IDo the pacers carry the balloons for the entire race or just for the first mile or two in the DCM….

The very fast guys - 3.00 and 3.15 - might let go of their balloons, but everyone else is supposed to carry their balloons to the end.

The marathon facebook page put up a picture of last year's start a few days ago. You can quite clearly see the balloons from miles away. Don't know if they'll be as big this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    What's everyone's training schedule this week

Last week

Tue 5 mile
    Wed 6 mile
    Friday 15.5 mile

I haven't been following a particular plan, more listening to my body and going with that ...

I guess it's just a few runs to keep the cardio up ???
    Not too sure as it's my first marathon - completed the 20+miler on Oct 1st

Got my registration email this morning form..... so feeling nervous now

• Advertisement

Jacky08 wrote: »
    What's everyone's training schedule this week

Last week

Tue 5 mile
    Wed 6 mile
    Friday 15.5 mile

I haven't been following a particular plan, more listening to my body and going with that ...

I guess it's just a few runs to keep the cardio up ???
    Not too sure as it's my first marathon - completed the 20+miler on Oct 1st

Got my registration email this morning form..... so feeling nervous now

My advice would be that might be a bit much maybe 13 miles might be a bit more benefit as you are trying to allow the body to recover from the hard work and residual muscle damage done over the course of your training. Intensity should be light and if you are training three times a week currently remain at that. number of days shouldnt change but there should be anything from 25-50% mileage drop this week and as much as 75% next week

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

3 stars (average)
    Badbark wrote: »
    Cool thanks. I'm just working out my fuelling and and fluid strategy.

Badbark I presume uve been drinking Club Energiser on ur training runs and are used to it...

If ur not I would'nt touch it on marathon day..I made that mistake last year and I found it far too sweet and heavy unlike say powerade etc..Havent touched a drop of it since...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jacky08

4 stars (good)
    My advice would be that might be a bit much maybe 13 miles might be a bit more benefit as you are trying to allow the body to recover from the hard work and residual muscle damage done over the course of your training. Intensity should be light and if you are training three times a week currently remain at that. number of days shouldnt change but there should be anything from 25-50% mileage drop this week and as much as 75% next week

To be fair I just enjoyed the run on Friday - just ran two hours and felt good, body recovered quite well .... I really need to rest up and watch my knees in the coming weeks so I was literally going to do about 3* 5-6 mile runs this week and leave it at that ... last run before DCM on Friday 15th....is leaving 7 days wihtout any running too risky come the big day

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Do we know this for sure? When I last ran it (2008) the sports drink was in plastic cups (water was in bottles).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

sh*t, now I'm getting worried ! The gels I've been taking, sparingly I might add, have been the Powerbar Gels. I notice from the DCM Map, they have only 2 got stations, at about 15 & 18.5mls. So are the High 5 gels not as potent as the Powerbar?

I hate carrying stuff and have never worn a belt, and only have the 1 pocket in my shorts.

So if I take one before the off and another at 10K, I have to wait 'til 15mls for the next one.

Are these stations not fairly close together?

Also, I have never taken on a sports drink while running, actually I think I tried gatorade once in the states and it left my mouth dry. So I am weary of doing this on the big day. Maybe I will try one during my 13mls next Sunday. Last year I bombed because of not taking in enough water or gels, don't want to screw it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Relying on the race organizers for anything more than water is risky.

You may well benefit from "bonus" energy drinks, jellies and gels, but if you don't lay your hands on these or wrong flavour/wrong brand, what happens?

Bring what you need or, if you are lucky, have someone on the course to dole stuff out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    sh*t, now I'm getting worried ! .....................

Also, I have never taken on a sports drink while running, actually I think I tried gatorade once in the states and it left my mouth dry. So I am weary of doing this on the big day. Maybe I will try one during my 13mls next Sunday. Last year I bombed because of not taking in enough water or gels, don't want to screw it up again.

Quote from colleague who ran Berlin recently: "There was powerade on offer out there, and at approx the 20 odd mile mark I saw a guy take a few gulps of it, he was 10 or 15 strides ahead of me, and almost immediately after he took it, I noticed him slowing up, then he stepped aside, and I swear to God you wouldn't believe what he vomited up, he must have emptied his stomach, bad move, race over."

Moral of the story: On the day, don't drink/eat anything you haven't tried in training.

Gels: I'm the same boat as you. I won't wear a belt and I want to take 5 isotonic gels with me. I'm thinking of using a zip-lok bag (pinned to singlet/shorts) and will experiment with one over the next 10 days.

Hydration: Start hydrating from NOW. Just drink more and regularly every day. Binging, instead of regular, tends to flush out your electrolytes, so the slow drip method works better. Stay off the soft drinks too - depletes Potassium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Buy your favourite gels, carry them with you - it's the only solution!

Here's a good way to pin them to your shorts. I carried mine in Berlin using this approach and it works a charm. Hardly noticed the gels at all. I also covered the gels in medical tape so that they wouldn't irritate my sensitive bum cheeks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Salty Dog

Peckham wrote: »
    Do we know this for sure? When I last ran it (2008) the sports drink was in plastic cups (water was in bottles).

Last year was bottles alright. 08 was mainly cups but I seem to remember seeing the odd bottle @ the Miltown station.

Anyone know is there any issues with collecting another persons race number at the expo who can't make it ?

Jacky08 wrote: »
    To be fair I just enjoyed the run on Friday - just ran two hours and felt good, body recovered quite well .... I really need to rest up and watch my knees in the coming weeks so I was literally going to do about 3* 5-6 mile runs this week and leave it at that ... last run before DCM on Friday 15th....is leaving 7 days wihtout any running too risky come the big day

Thanks

Short answer yes even 10-15 min very easy just to keep the legs ticking over is better than complete rest

liamo123 wrote: »
    Badbark I presume uve been drinking Club Energiser on ur training runs and are used to it...

If ur not I would'nt touch it on marathon day..I made that mistake last year and I found it far too sweet and heavy unlike say powerade etc..Havent touched a drop of it since...

Good point, I've only had a bottle during last years DCM and didn't suffer any problems, but will have to give it another go during my last LSR just to make sure.

Or I might just make my home made isotonic drink double strength in my Camelbak and stick to water during the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    Salty Dog wrote: »
    Last year was bottles alright. 08 was mainly cups but I seem to remember seeing the odd bottle @ the Miltown station.
    I seem to remember getting bottles around Chapelizod in 08 as well.
    Anyone know is there any issues with collecting another persons race number at the expo who can't make it ?
    Shouldn't be. make sure other person signs the acceptance slip though.

No issue at all as I collected it for a friends brother last year because he couldn't make it down until the morning of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

4 stars (good)
    This may seem like a stupid question, sorry in advance....
    Is there a particular side of the road the pacers run on? I'm planning to run with the 3.45 group and I want to know what side of the road to tell my family to stand on. I ran DC as my first Marathon two years ago and I didn't see my family untill Fosters Avenue because I missed them in Phoenix Park (probably the easiest place to cheer people on). By the time they saw me I was struggling badly and this year I'd like them to also see me while I'm still smiling in Phoenix Park. I know they'll find it easier to find me if they're looking for the balloon (purple I think?).
    Best of luck to everyone and Happy Tapering...

Any other suggestions for good places for my family to cheer me on? They'll be driving and are coming from South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 stars (good)
    Any news on who'll be competing for the respective mens and womens national title? I know Barry Minnock is definitley running, as is last years winner, sergiu. Other than that Im not sure who else is in.
    As for the ladies, I have no idea who has thrown their hat into the ring. Although if Maria Mc Cambridge is running then the others should just resign themselves to fighting over the scraps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

havent really found any gel s that suit , ran my last 20 miler without them and felt ok , what are my options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

paulb79 wrote: »
    havent really found any gel s that suit , ran my last 20 miler without them and felt ok , what are my options

jaffa cakes, fig rolls, jelly babies all washed down with a can of flat coke :D

More seriously I like the SIS gels, they go down easy, taste alright and you don't need water with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭paulb79

might give those a try , were stocks them.

tunguska wrote: »
    Any news on who'll be competing for the respective mens and womens national title? I know Barry Minnock is definitley running, as is last years winner, sergiu. Other than that Im not sure who else is in.
    As for the ladies, I have no idea who has thrown their hat into the ring. Although if Maria Mc Cambridge is running then the others should just resign themselves to fighting over the scraps.

Think a fair few of the mission marathon group are down to run it (moreso the women than the men)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Tesco

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)

Cycle shops
    Is there a particular side of the road the pacers run on?

There's 4 of them in the group, so probably both sides. You're unlikely to lose sight of them anyway, even if they're all on the right when you're on the left, because they'll be attached to pretty big balloons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

4 stars (good)
    No, lots of people collect packs for other people. It's common for one person to collect an entire groups packs (bring a case on wheels!). However you need to bring the acceptance slip/card for every individual for whom you're collecting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Torq ftw ... they do actually taste like yoghurt! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Torq_Box_Of_20__45g_Gel_Sachets/5360033126/
    My stomach can't take any of the powerbar ones at all, don't mind the High5 ones but I find Torq give a bigger energy kick.

Advertisement