Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Any 4hour pacers for the DCM on these boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    pdiddyw wrote: »

Read through this thread for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

littlebug wrote: »
    +1 i've always pinned the gels to me until last week. I barely notice the gel belt + gels whereas with gels pinned to me they tend to move about a bit and it means fiddling with pins which is a nuisance.

any idea LB where you can pick up a gel belt in Galway? Can you attach the powerbar gels to them as well? In the pics I recall it appears thats its the High 5 gels that are attached, or maybe thats just a High 5 gel belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)
    Seeing as we have passed the 14day threshold the weather predictions are now covering the 25th......

http://www.meteoprog.co.uk/en/weather/Dublin/11_15/
    Cloudy, 7 - 12 deg, winds from the east ranging from 5-15 mph

http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/ie/dublin/dublin/details13.aspx
    Clouds & Sun, 9 deg, Realfeel 4 deg, Winds NNE 15 mph

Would be nice to have northerly winds for a change around Crumlin & Walkinstown but it's bound to change a bit between now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

4 stars (good)
    Speedy44 wrote: »
    any idea LB where you can pick up a gel belt in Galway? Can you attach the powerbar gels to them as well? In the pics I recall it appears thats its the High 5 gels that are attached, or maybe thats just a High 5 gel belt?

Hi Speedy, I got mine in Marrey bikes in Ballinrobe... probably not much use to you? I know someone who had trouble locating them in Galway last week. Catweazle would probably know the best place to get them.
    Mine can only hold the hi5 type gels ie the long skinny ones but the one I bought has a zipped pouch so I'm going to put a couple of the powerbar gels into that for the later stages. This is like the one I got but mine is SIS and the pouch is slightly bigger I think.

http://www.marreybikes.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=gel+belt&osCsid=ba3vkmp70d2k55vehlpnk9pde1

Actually I'll be in Ballinrobe later today if you want me to pick one up for you?

edited to add... they also have them without the pouch.

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Hi Speedy, I got mine in Marrey bikes in Ballinrobe... probably not much use to you? I know someone who had trouble locating them in Galway last week. Catweazle would probably know the best place to get them.
    Mine can only hold the hi5 type gels ie the long skinny ones but the one I bought has a zipped pouch so I'm going to put a couple of the powerbar gels into that for the later stages. This is like the one I got but mine is SIS and the pouch is slightly bigger I think.

http://www.marreybikes.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=gel+belt&osCsid=ba3vkmp70d2k55vehlpnk9pde1

Actually I'll be in Ballinrobe later today if you want me to pick one up for you?

edited to add... they also have them without the pouch.

hmmm, I'm still weary of wearing anything extra while running, especially when I'm not used to it. I'll leave it for now LB, but tx for the offer. I may try out the pins over the wkend and if I feel there not suitable, Ballinrobe in only about 20mls from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

4 stars (good)
    No problem Speedy :) try the pins and see how you go. I'll be in Ballinrobe a couple of times between now and D day and I'm also in and out to Galway/ headford a lot so if you do decide to get a belt it's absolutely no problem to pick up/ drop off somewhere for you if you don't get time.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thedeal

On the subject of Gel belts I did the Athlone 3/4 and seen somebody using an arm band with Gel's attached looked like the High5 gels aswell. Does anybody know what these are like and if so where the best place is to buy them as the pouch in my fuel belt can only hold 2 High5 gels and I am looking to carry 7 for DCM!

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Someone Called? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pdiddyw

Someone Called? :D

Cool thanks, I keep an eye out for you on the day, presume you'll be the one with the balloon!!:D..
    Will you be doing its as average per mile as in roughly 9.17 per mile, or be hoping to do the first quarter a slight bit slower than say the second?and pick up the pace as you go, just curious as first timer..ta

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

4 stars (good)
    thedeal wrote: »
    On the subject of Gel belts I did the Athlone 3/4 and seen somebody using an arm band with Gel's attached looked like the High5 gels aswell. Does anybody know what these are like and if so where the best place is to buy them as the pouch in my fuel beltcan only hold 2 High5 gels and I am looking to carry 7 for DCM!

Thanks in advance...
    I got one on amphibion king website. Recieved one which was different to the one pictured, probably better though. Carries 4 gels. Sorry cant post link, stupid mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Cool thanks, I keep an eye out for you on the day, presume you'll be the one with the balloon!!:D..
    Will you be doing its as average per mile as in roughly 9.17 per mile, or be hoping to do the first quarter a slight bit slower than say the second?and pick up the pace as you go, just curious as first timer..ta

4hrs is 9:09 per mile. If you have a garmin this normally ends up being about 9:03- 9:05 per garmin mile as they normally measure the course a bit long (mainly due to crowds/ not taking the shortest possible route).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)
    Will you be doing its as average per mile as in roughly 9.08 per mile, or be hoping to do the first quarter a slight bit slower than say the second?and pick up the pace as you go, just curious as first timer..ta

FYP
    The pacers are doing even splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    4hrs is 9:09 per mile. If you have a garmin this normally ends up being about 9:03- 9:05 per garmin mile as they normally measure the course a bit long (mainly due to crowds/ not taking the shortest possible route).

There should be a prize for the runner who measures the shortest distance on their garmin for the DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Which of the Club Energise drinks will be handed out?
    I want to try some tonight and at the weekend on my runs to see how my stomach handles them. I'm assuming it's either the orange one or the lucozade type one, anybody know which of those it is?
    http://www.clubenergise.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey pdiddyw,

Best of luck for your first Marathon, hope you have a blast.

Just so you know kid, 4hrs is 9:09 miles or 5:40 kms!

My strategy
    I'll be running at pretty much dead on 9:08/mile or 5:39/km whichever way you look at it. While some of the miles may be a couple of seconds either way, I aim to hit the 5km checkpoints in about 28:15 each.

Bottom line, you stick with me or any of the 4hr guys and you will cross the line strong in circa 3:59:30 to the best feeling in the world :D

Oh and for the extra buzz, lets say we do 1:59:50/1:59:40 for the negative split cherry on top!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I want to try some tonight and at the weekend on my runs to see how my stomach handles them. I'm assuming it's either the orange one or the lucozade type one, anybody know which of those it is?

Last year (and would expect this year) it was the orange flavoured still sports drink - as you mention, similar to Lucozade sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

4 stars (good)

It's been taken over by Britvic as far as I know and rebranded as
    http://www.energisesport.ie/our-products/default.php
    Bottle is more like powerade which is more useful when carrying.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=15732

Just wondering how this affects anyone who may run with pacers and be looking to medal?

Think it could happen in a few cats, M50, M55and most of the Female cat's

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

grimbergen wrote: »
    can you or anybody recommend a good gel belt to use? I tend to use the square size gels as opposed to the long ones.

This was a good thread on belts and pouches. I use the hilly one mentioned which is light and very comfortable.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055906968

My worry about the belts with elastic loops and the pins is that you run the risk of loosing gels. As Krusty_Clown said you should have enough time to get one and try it out. I'm so used to the Hilly one I wear it on all my training runs. I also attached a couple of phone pouches to the front for extra gels on marathon day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Bez Bing wrote: »
    There should be a prize for the runner who measures the shortest distance on their garmin for the DCM

Well it's quite easy to take a few shortcuts ;) but that might get you disqualified :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Well it's quite easy to take a few shortcuts ;) but that might get you disqualified :pac:

True, Ive noticed that any race Ive run in the park lots of people blatantly run through the grass to cut corners. Very bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Gringo78 wrote: »
    I sneakily lurk on this thread every so often to check out peoples targets...

Yes, I'm a great believer in marathon by HR. first one I aimed for 86% MHR on a hot day but ignored it once it started to rise after halfway....bad idea! Hit the wall at 18-19 and was reduced to 8-9min miles after a 10min mile.

Second time round 83% was the target HR with 86% as the upper limit. I was aiming for sub 3 and HR actually never rose above 83% as I stuck behind the pacer, easiest race I ever ran.

My tips: 3:15-3:30 runner, first marathon, aim for max 82% MHR on the flat. Select a pace you are happy with, go out at that pace for first 5 miles. If HR is taking off, back off. If HR is significantly lower than 82% you have a choice - would you be satisfied with marathon finishing time at current pace or would you like to knock a few more minutes off? If you want to push things a bit then slowly increase the pace over a mole or two and gradually bring the HR up to 82%. once you're past 22miles you can start to push things higher within reason.

On hills, allow HR to rise to maximum 85%, on downhills pace up, don't let the HR drop too low.

Better to keep the HR more or less even for first 21-22 miles.

Above 87% MHR I think you are probably burning glycogen to the extent that you cannot replenish fast enough to avoid running out completely by 20-21miles thus hitting the wall.

A guy running in our sub 3 pace group in Cork reached his HM pace HR 6 miles in. He didn't back off the pace and went down like a bag of spuds at 20 miles and made it to the finish line in an ambulance....finger prick test showed almost zero glycogen left.

If it's your first marathon, set a conservative HR target, be very careful about exceeding it and set an 'alarm bells' value cos hitting the wall really ain't pleasant. It'll take a few miles for your HR to settle in the race so concentrate on pace rather than HR for first 3 miles, only then start to believe the HR.

the percentages you give...is that Working heart rate or just straight calculation ? There can be quite a bot of differen\ce bewteen both.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭plodder

4 stars (good)
    Speedy44 wrote: »

Just wondering how this affects anyone who may run with pacers and be looking to medal?

Think it could happen in a few cats, M50, M55and most of the Female cat's
    Good question. It's clear enough what the rule is, so they certainly shouldn't run with pacers, but it must be hard to enforce for the older cats at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

4 stars (good)

Tesco €1.59 ea
    Dunnes €1 ea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

the percentages you give...is that Working heart rate or just straight calculation ? There can be quite a bot of differen\ce bewteen both.
    Thanks

Straight % of max HR

Disclaimer: Don't experiment on the day. You should have a fair idea from training what your MP HR could be. In the middle of an easy run run a flat mile at target HR and see how it feels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

4 stars (good)
    ecoli wrote: »
    Lads just thought i would give you heads up on this:

I say to make people aware at the expo that if they are running it as the AAI National Champs for a club team etc they are not permitted to use pacers. This might not apply to alot of people but its better to cover yourselves

I've been told this will only apply to those in the medals, so no difference at all to those using the pacemakers (even if you're in a club).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I've been told this will only apply to those in the medals, so no difference at all to those using the pacemakers (even if you're in a club).

Looking at the results these masters and women athletes who are in the medals can still be between these ranges though so it may still be worth stressing to people this fact:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/aai-marathon_masters_results-2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭lukeeman

4 stars (good)
    Does anybody know are setanta tv doing a highlight programe of the marathon this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

4 stars (good)
    Do those Athletics Ireland rules re. pacing apply internationally? If that was the case, wouldn't Paula Radcliffe's world record be invalid as she was paced by a man for some of it?

Advertisement