Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The government rumoured to be nationalising AIB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

sligopark wrote: »
    and self serving politican banksters FF FG and Labour caused the bubble that has f8cked us all ;)

FG are not the saviours everyone would like to think they are and labour LOL LOL LOL LOL didn't they cry too Lisbon=Jobs

self serving ego masturbating bank balance inflating [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL] the lot of them

Actually the worrying thing is I have yet to hear what the opposition would do in the present circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Stekelly wrote: »
    God you people are so silly. Did you not read the OP. WE'RE ALL SCREWED, BURN YOUR MONEY, RUN AWAY AND HIDE. This is not the time for rational thinking. Listen to the guy scaremongering on the internet, he knows best.

Welcome to AH.... A seasoned pro like yourself should know better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

TheZohan wrote: »
    Most people knew that AIB needed a further €3bn in capital, all they've done here is a share swap.

aren't swapsies about equal values or am I missing something?

600 million into 3 billion doesn't that like equal 5 times the value?

am I missing something or has someone not got a junior cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Duiske wrote: »
    Exactly. And thats all this is, a capital injection. That €3bn was going to end up in AIB regardless.

People have to sensationalise it somehow. If the government just gave AIB the money in return for nothing there would be the very same thread with soem minor tweaks about how they are givign all our money away for free and we cant get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I know the IMF is a bad thing - I worded that post badly:o

I meant that if people panic, we will have to bring it in.

Though tbh, we are more likely to beg the ECB.

We won't have to beg the ECB at all, they'd be more than happy to help us out, we all poop on the same pot afterall. The ECB purchased our bonds during the week to stabilize the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    In a nutshell:
    EU/IMF intervention will mean a budget with 20bn in cuts as opposed to the proposed 3bn in cuts that the December budget is planning to implement

and only 20 billion because our government was ireland inc and not iceland inc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Hahahaha, FF get some good poll news and then overshadow it themselves. Probably had it planned because they were expecting to get hammered (though Cowen wouldn't mind that).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Since when was an education an important part of being in Government?:pac::pac:

Einstein's theory of evolution proved that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

love the tags

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

ok,so give it to me straight folks...

are my an post Cyrill the squirrel stamps now worthless? :(

if you could sumarise the situation,in a nutshell...

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Actually the worrying think is I have yet to hear what the opposition would do in the present circumstances.

Why would they come out and say anything?The peopel are whipped up nicely to vote out FF. Commiting to any sort of policy when you dont have to would be lunacy. Eamonn Gilmore can keep waffling on about nothing as he has been doing, until the election rolls around, then introduce all the same cuts FF would have had to bring in and he gets to blame them. the only way he can cause himself problems is by opening his trap. His stance will be firmly to stand and smile for the cameras for however long it takes for the election to come about, all the while laughing at FG.

I think you missed my post...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

stepbar wrote: »
    I think you missed my post...

Serious answers have no place in A.H.:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kaidan wrote: »
    love the tags

The "I have a sponge in my gee" was mine. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    In a nutshell:
    EU/IMF intervention will mean a budget with 20bn in cuts as opposed to the proposed 3bn in cuts that everybody's worried about.
    Could you imagine the increase in crime if that were to happen!
    Holy hell! :(

You are missing something indeed. AIB needs €3b. The government can either A) give them €3b B) Give them €600m for the shares then give them €2.4b or C) give them €3b for the shares.

A would be stupid, so that leaves B and C, They chose C but as you can see, theres no difference between B and C, bar the easily led public getting whipped in to a frenzy by the media at different times.

You're missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Why would they come out and say anything?The peopel are whipped up nicely to vote out FF. Commiting to any sort of policy when you dont have to would be lunacy. Eamonn Gilmore can keep wafflign on about nothign as he has been doing, until the election rolls around, then introduce all the same cuts FF would have had to bring in and he gets to blame them. the onyl way he can cause himself problems is by opening his trap. His stance will be firmly to stand and smile for the cameras for however long it takes for the election to come about, all the while laughing at FG.

While I see where you are coming from, it really does sum up the state of politics, kind of funny to see people banging on about giving Labour/FG the chance thinking they are going to get us out of this mess. Actually quite funny that people have forgotten policies for the last election of all the parties. Actually not funny at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

You are missing something indeed. AIB needs €3b. The government can either A) give them €3b B) Give them €600m for the shares then give them €2.4b or C) give them €3b for the shares.

A would be stupid, so that leaves B and C, They chose C but as you can see, theres no difference between B and C, bar the easily led public getting whipped in to a frenzy by the media at different times.

Or (D), buy the share capital for 600 million Euro and loan them the 2.4 billion Euro with internet thereon, and securitize the 2.4 Billion with AIB property???

Well look.... In the pub I'm in there's no recession so screw ye all... Another overpriced Carlsberg please barman....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Sheesh. Has everyone forgotten that deposits are guaranteed, in addition to the current bank guarantees? Money in AIB is not at risk.

If you have shares in AIB ... the NYSE stock spiked up 17% at about 4PM Irish time (as the ISE closed), and volume was 3x the average, so the markets have clearly heard something.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

From Denis Naughten's (FG) twitter account:
    AIB on brink of nationalisation,Ireland now on brink.Need all party budget!

Yet AIB is up 17% on the NYSE. Sounds like there's something fishy going on.

MrDarcy wrote: »
    Or (D), buy the share capital for 600 million Euro and loan them the 2.4 billion Euro with internet thereon, and securitize the 2.4 Billion with AIB property???

Loan themselves €2.4b you mean?

MrDarcy wrote: »
    I doubt Aib has anything to securitize ......

The consequence of this is that the bond markets are going to send our sovereign interest rate crusing past 7% tomorrow and then it's game over for us, we are in Greek territory then, financial markets shut, IMF how do you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I'm a little stupid, can someone tell me how this will effect me? How will this effect Irish people?

stepbar wrote: »
    I doubt Aib has anything to securitize ......

No, the government could say to them, "here, we own the bank now, we are taking the ATM network out of the private ownership of AIB and creating a separate entity under state control to manage this ATM network from now on"...

This would go a long long way towards stopping us ever having a gun put to our heads in this country again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

The "I have a sponge in my gee" was mine. :p

Eh not mine, I was genuinely searching for a thread with gee sponging recommendations and instead was met with this... :mad:

Seriously though, it's low tide here, help me!

• Advertisement

From Denis Naughten's (FG) twitter account:

Yet AIB is up 17% on the NYSE. Sounds like there's something fishy going on.

Yup, Gordan Gecko is out of prison.

Advertisement