Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The government rumoured to be nationalising AIB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

MrDarcy wrote: »
    The consequence of this is that the bond markets are going to send our sovereign interest rate crusing past 7% tomorrow and then it's game over for us, we are in Greek territory then, financial markets shut, IMF how do you do...

Of course we could beg a few quid from the euro central reserves, apparently it's there as a safety net for a crisis like this, but that would mean Lenihan having to admit he chose the wrong path, and FF don't do apologies like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

From Denis Naughten's (FG) twitter account:

Yet AIB is up 17% on the NYSE. Sounds like there's something fishy going on.

His previous post said this

Just leaving 101st birthday party of FG member Matt Leonard. All he wants is an erection!
    :eek::eek::eek:

Stekelly wrote: »
    You are missing something indeed. AIB needs €3b. The government can either A) give them €3b B) Give them €600m for the shares then give them €2.4b or C) give them €3b for the shares.

A would be stupid, so that leaves B and C, They chose C but as you can see, theres no difference between B and C, bar the easily led public getting whipped in to a frenzy by the media at different times.

Getting the shares is the easy bit... now we just need to talk them up to about €15 each (or whatever they were before the crash) and sell the lot to get our money back. And pigs might! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

sligopark wrote: »
    one buch of w*nkers replaced by another bunch of w*nkers who agreed with every decision make by the first bunch of w*nkers?

Dream on

Become a politican.... Change the world... Yada yada yada....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Getting the shares is the easy bit... now we just need to talk them up to about €15 each (or whatever they were before the crash) and sell the lot to get our money back. And pigs might! :rolleyes:

What they end up at is irrelevant. Even if the government sold the lot for €1 it's still €1 more than they would have if they just gave them the €3b that has to go in anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

TheZohan wrote: »
    Yup, Gordan Gecko is out of prison.
    Looking forwards to seeing that second part. :D

Biggins wrote: »
    Looking forwards to seeing that second part. :D
    Dude got old

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://twitter.com/davidmcw McWilliams hasn't actually twittered since the 28th.
    Dean820 wrote: »
    I'm a little stupid, can someone tell me how this will effect me?
    On a day to day basis, not a lot.
    How will this effect Irish people?
    We are essentially taking on more of the debts and assets of AIB. Depending on how things work out in the medium to long term we might make or lose money. However, seeing as we guaranteed AIB anyway, there may be no real change compared to yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

You are missing something indeed. AIB needs €3b. The government can either A) give them €3b B) Give them €600m for the shares then give them €2.4b or C) give them €3b for the shares.

A would be stupid, so that leaves B and C, They chose C but as you can see, theres no difference between B and C, bar the easily led public getting whipped in to a frenzy by the media at different times.

I get it AIB needs €3bn and they are worth €600m, what I don't get is how having given them 5 times what the company is currently worth, 'we/the state' will still only assume 70 percent share ownership of the company, surely with the amount we're pumping in, we should be over 90 percent, unless the AIB shareholders want to match our input.

If AIB ever recovers, the private shareholders will benefit massively from this state investment. Is this why it was reported that the AIB share price went up tonight in NY ?

heyjude wrote: »
    I get it AIB needs €3bn and they are worth €600m, what I don't get is how having given them 5 times what the company is currently worth, 'we/the state' will still only assume 70 percent share ownership of the company, surely with the amount we're pumping in, we should be over 90 percent, unless the AIB shareholders want to match our input.

If AIB ever recovers, the private shareholders will benefit massively from this state investment. Is this why it was reported that the AIB share price went up tonight in NY ?

There isnt 90% available, we already own a percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

MrDarcy wrote: »
    Or (D), buy the share capital for 600 million Euro and loan them the 2.4 billion Euro with internet thereon, and securitize the 2.4 Billion with AIB property???

Yes, loan them the internet!:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is this why it was reported that the AIB share price went up tonight in NY ?

From what little I know of the stock market, shares of a company usually go up when there are rumours of them being bought out.

Read my post.... It explains all...

Dude got old
    True but still has it! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The €600m is the market capitalization i.e. what the shares are worth, but AIB has other assets too, such as property. In accounting terms, a mortgage on their books is an asset on the balance sheet, but when the borrowers can't pay back, and the value of the mortgage is in doubt, that's what's popularly known as a "toxic asset". :eek:

Now, if the government is actually going to buy the shares, there are a couple more points to make:
    - this is not "nationalisation" in the conventional sense. In a real Nationalisation scenario, the government just takes the assets, and shares become worthless.
    - The spike in the share price is to be expected, because that means shareholders see a chance to make a profit. People were buying AIB, on the NYSE, at 17% up for the rest of the day. Those buyers expect to make a profit themselves. I expect the ISE to follow suit in the morning. In other words: if the govt. wants to buy those shares on the market, the bill's about to get a lot bigger.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Whatever about toxic assets, I have a toxic ass.

bnt wrote: »
    The €600m is the market capitalization i.e. what the shares are worth, but AIB has other assets too, such as property. In accounting terms, a mortgage on their books is an asset on the balance sheet, but when the borrowers can't pay back, and the value of the mortgage is in doubt, that's what's popularly known as a "toxic asset". :eek:

Aka... Recap job needed.... I think this thought process is a bit beyond AH....

Whatever about toxic assets, I have a toxic ass.

Until the morning..... And I'll be farting like Larry Murphy.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

These shares will skyrocket in value anyway in the short to medium term. Brian Lenihan said that we have turned the corner going forward and everythings under control.

knird evol wrote: »
    These shares will skyrocket in value anyway in the short to medium term. Brian Lenihan said that we have turned the corner going forward and everythings under control.

And pigs will fly over Leinster House.....

• Advertisement

knird evol wrote: »
    ...Brian Lenihan said that we have turned the corner going forward and everythings under control.
    I heard the last time he said that, was as he was standing on the deck of the Titanic in Belfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I heard the last time he said that, was as he was standing on the deck of the Titanic in Belfast!

Did you draw him naked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

There isnt 90% available, we already own a percentage.

I said "we should be over 90 percent" I didn't say we should get an extra 90%, I realise that we had some stake after previous 'investments/cash injections' in AIB. But I think that allowing for what we have already pumped into AIB plus this additional €3bn, we should have substantially more than 70 percent and would welcome the news, if this was so.

Did you draw him naked?
    Draw him naked! :eek:

Its hard enough to draw a cheque with him! :o

Draw him naked! :eek:

Its hard enough to draw a cheque with him! :o

Not if it's a mixer it ain't ....

stepbar wrote: »
    Not if it's a mixer it ain't ....
    What! A gin and tonic? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

stepbar wrote: »
    And pigs will fly over Leinster House.....

Wouldn't be the first time.

From this article shortly before the last election:
    The Greens are not ruling out coalition with anyone after the general election, party leader Trevor Sargent told a news conference in Dublin yesterday.

However, he suggested an arrangement with Fianna Fáil was highly unlikely. "If pigs could fly," he said, "I'm sure that would also make news." He expressed deep scepticism that Fianna Fáil would, for example, accept Green Party proposals for ethical reform in politics.

What! A gin and tonic? ;)

Na a cement mixer but I heard cowan likes the baby Guinness... That's a mixer in any man's language !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

FG TD Denis Naughton posted this on his twitter page:
    AIB on brink of nationalisation,Ireland now on brink.Need all party budget!

http://twitter.com/DenisNaughten

The biggest bank in Ireland being nationalised two years after the mess started - confidence in the country will be shattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

so hang on a minute, wait, just wait till i get this straight in my head..... he made the whole thing up from what he could see on the wall behind the agent, kobayashe, the barbershop quartet in skokie illinois, mr redfoot in california....
    and then he just walks out... and isn't limping

Advertisement