Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Sigh... Would've been great if they got someone with halfway decent Irish to translate Carrigstown there - it should say Baile an Charraig...

Although sexy young females = :D

Drools...

The husband looks a bit familiar. I need a better look though! Will we get introduced to the Dillons next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

eimearcmh wrote: »
    The husband looks a bit familiar. I need a better look though! Will we get introduced to the Dillons next week?

We will be introduced to them this week :)

Another article about them:
    THE first new family in an RTE soap in a decade is due to make its appearance on 'Fair City' in the coming days.

The Dillons will make their debut in Carrigstown on September 7, although regular viewers will already be familiar with mum Judith and her daughter Neasa.

The dad, Tommy (Geoff Minogue), joins his doctor wife Judith (Catherine Byrne) and their three daughters Neasa (Aoibhin Garrihy), Caoimhe (Aoibheann McCaul) and Dearbhla (Kerrie O'Sullivan) and son Zak (Kevin Joyce).

A spokesperson for RTE promised that the new family would mean a few surprises and shenanigans for Carrigstown's residents.

Neasa's past comes back to haunt her, Caoimhe's life takes an unexpected turn, Dearbhla is curiously drawn to her new neighbours and Zak grapples with making friends.

Actress Catherine Byrne said it was good to be joined by her 'family' on set: "Everyone's been here for years and you're the outsider, but now we're a gang to be reckoned with."

Actor Geoff Minogue agreed: "We have the advantage of coming in as a gang from day one."

To prepare for their arrival at Number 48, which will be their new home, a team of builders reconstructed the house to ensure there was enough room for the large family. A games-room extension was added to the Molloys' old home and the house is slightly more upmarket than the other homes, with stylish and modern decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

The husband looks a bit familiar. I need a better look though!

He played the Studio Engineer in Once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

This will be the third character he's played in Fair City as well as being another of the ex Glenroe stars now in Carrigstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I thought it was Ivor the Driver for one awful moment there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Epicurus wrote: »
    This will be the third character he's played in Fair City as well as being another of the ex Glenroe stars now in Carrigstown.

Who are the three. I know Mina/Ester is one. Terry/Waynes wife was in both, Blackie Connors have appeared in both.

Mick Byrne/Miley Byrne died this morning. Different soap i know.

I think there are a lot of links between all the Irish soaps. Enda Oates, who plays Pete, used to be in Glenroe as a vicar or something. Aisling O'Neill (Carol) played a male baby on The Riordans.

The strangest one is the character of Bobby Ryan, who appeared in both Glenroe and Fair City. He was the environmentalist who took Suzanne to Borneo for a year, but then left her for a bonobo.

https://www.tribune.ie/article/2003/feb/02/fair-play-to-you-bobby/

I know there's a few more links, but I'm drawing a blank. I bet nlgbblbth would know more.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Who are the three. I know Mina/Ester is one. Terry/Waynes wife was in both, Blackie Connors have appeared in both.

Mick Byrne/Miley Byrne died this morning. Different soap i know.

Sorry to hear Mick Lally has died, no age either :(

Deise Tom wrote: »

He was Mr Boyle and Mr. Ruadhri Downes (2005) I don't remember either of them if minor parts; just reading from his cv

He played Seamus in Glenroe, Biddys brother in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

RIP Mick Lally - an absolute legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Gibson101

RIP Mick Lally - an absolute legend.

In every sense of the world. Fantastic actor and my best wishes to his family.

Thanks for your answers.

RIP Mick Lally

Be a Floor Manager.

The website spoke to Fair City Dara O'Broin to find out about the role of Floor Manager.

What are the duties of a floor manager?
    Firstly, we are the Director's representative on the floor. We pass on notes from the Director to the Actors and the other departments. We work very closely with the Directors to achieve the look and performances they want. We coordinate background action and vehicles on the Lot and background action in studio.
    Secondly, we coordinate with all sections: stage managers, cameras, lighting, sound, make up, wardrobe, and design, but especially staging and props. The aim is to have all the pieces of the Fair City puzzle ready to rehearse/record at the same (correct!) time.
    Thirdly, we keep a very sharp eye on safety. It's a potential minefield on set with so much equipment, cables, sets and people, so we have to ensure that Fair City runs smoothly and safely for all cast and crew.
    How did you become a floor manager?
    I started in the TV Sound department in 1978. After a brief 17 years learning about television someone wiser than me thought I might make a good Floor Manager. I try to prove them right every day. I have been involved in many dramas over the years - on and off camera!
    What are important qualities to have, to be a floor manager?

Patience, a deep understanding of all the elements of production, people skills, patience, time keeping, good humour and patience.
    How do you approach your working day on Fair City?
    With the same enthusiasm as I had my first day in RTÉ but with a few less nerves. I read the script three or four times and make note of any potential problems or questions. I then meet with the Director and we work through the week's scripts scene by scene. We discuss each scene in terms of the set, which walls we need, any special props, continuity with previous or following scenes. Most of our time is spent on the different setups needed to capture each scene. Some scenes may involve five or more, different parts. These can be shot separately or in one run.
    On Monday we read through all four episodes with the actors and the whole production team and then rehearse any particularly big or complex scenes. Next is a technical meeting with design, staging, lighting, cameras, sound and the director to fine tune the shooting week. Then we start shooting on Tuesday.
    What is the difference between working on a live studio programme and a pre-recorded programme?
    When you pre-record there is the chance to do something again and again. This fine-tuning can make it better or cover problems. Multiple takes can be edited together to make the best version. This can also result in losing the essence of the performance.
    With a live show there is one chance to get it right. All the 'what if' situations must be considered. There is a greater chance of getting it wrong but a greater satisfaction in getting it right. Everyone sees your mistakes when it's Live!
    What is the best thing and worst thing about being a floor manager?
    Working closely with so many talented people is a pleasure but it's the people I meet, as audience, guests, performers, interviewees or crew that I remember most fondly.
    Sometimes it's hard to accept the great triangle that says "We want Good, Fast and Cheap TV". I can manage any two at a time.
    What advice would you give to anyone wanting become a floor manager?
    Study harder at school and get a real job. If that doesn't work for you then get really nosey about everyone else's job to the point where you think you know it better than them. Welcome to my world.
    Many thanks to Dara for answering our questions for this How To...

Have you watched the credits and wondered "What is a Stage Manager?", or "How did that Assistant Producer come to work in television?". If you are curious to know more about a production role in Fair City please email faircity@rte.ie with the subject line "How to...", and we will endeavour to slake your curiosity.

Spoilers

Sunday
    Damien warns Suzanne against befriending Neasa, saying she is in debt and has dodgy connections. Neasa tries to avoid helping Judith move in. Christy prompts Carol to use Charlie to find dirt on Esther. Neasa is offended to learn that Suzanne's coldness is down to Damien.

Niamh becomes suspicious that Esther is cheating her clients. Wayne enjoys Damien's discomfort at Neasa's arrival. Neasa causes a stir in McCoy's when she arrives with a hen party. Niamh tells Carol that she thinks Esther rigs her weighing scales. Leo and Ray make up.

Damien rebukes Louie for his concern for Suzanne. Carol forces Esther out of the mayoral race. Neasa clashes with Carol over her drunken behaviour and Neasa tries to attack her. She is ejected out of the pub by Louie and Carol. Damien convinces Suzanne not to help a drunken Neasa.

Carol is re-elected unopposed thanks to Niamh's information on Esther. Bob tends to a disorientated Neasa. Suzanne surprises Damien with plans for a romantic night together.

Neasa presses Bob into driving a cab illegally. Ray agrees to be Leo's date for the wedding.Zumo exploits Neasa's disorientated state to accuse Bob of assault.

Tuesday
    Neasa refuses to open up and tell Judith what happened to her the night before. Zumo tells Leo that Bob assaulted Neasa. Leo refuses to believe it. Bob and Neasa fail to agree on the facts of their confrontation. Zumo pressures a hazy Neasa to report Bob.

Wayne tries to convince Damien to invest in his business. Leo approaches Bob about what Zumo is saying. He reprimands him for driving the cab and tells him to sort it out. Wayne unsuccessfully tries to do a business pitch with Suzanne.

The rest of the Dillons arrive in Carrigstown. They are Tommy the dad, Zak, Dearbhla and Caoimhe. Zumo shocks Judith with news of Neasa's attack. He tells her she should report Bob. Judith is relieved when she hears her family have arrived a day early. Neasa is forced by Judith to report the crime.

Leo and Tommy bond over a pint. Neasa makes a statement to Det Deegan.Caoimhe and Dearbhla squabble over their bedrooms. A nosy Esther checks out the new neighbours. Zumo gives a witness statement to Deegan and lies about what happened.

Tommy is delighted to learn that Neasa is moving back home. An unwitting Tommy defends Bob to Louie. Leo persuades Bob to go to Deegan voluntarily for questioning. Neasa is torn when she sees Bob being taken into custody.

Wednesday
    Leo complains to Deegan about the chance that Bob might be charged with sexual assault.
    Tommy worries over his family adjusting to their new home. Damien is shocked to discover that Neasa will now be his next door neighbour. Leo fails to lift Bob's spirits.

Zumo blackens Bob's name around town, saying he tried to rape a girl. Damien is unhappy when he has to collect a debt from a friend. Louie sows doubts in Deegan's mind about Neasa's story. Tommy refuses to invest with Wayne. Damien tells Wayne he has to collect a debt from him.

Bob is alarmed to learn that Tommy is Neasa's father. Judith and Tommy have a heart-to-heart about the new move to Carrigstown and their hopes for the future. Wayne and Damien fight after Wayne insinuates that he won't say anything to any one about Neasa if Damien doesn't hassle him for money.

Judith refuses to believe Bob's version of the assault. Bob's fear grows when he learns the extent of Zumo's power over him, after Deegan tells him that Zumo is the main witness. Neasa reveals to Judith that Bob did not sexual assault her.

Deegan warns Bob to stay away from Neasa and her family as he seems to be intimidating her.Damien and Wayne make amends. Damien tells Wayne he erased his debt from the computer.

Tommy tries to calm his family's bickering while Neasa hides the truth from him. Esther reveals Bob's crime to Louie. Damien announces that he quit his job as debt collector. Bob attacks Zumo in front of everyone in the pub.

Thursday
    Deegan warns Bob to control himself. Damien ignores Mark's plea to tell Suzanne about quitting his job. Judith pressures Neasa to tell Tommy about the assault. Tommy speculates about Bob's mental health. Leo forces Damien to question his job prospects.

Tommy organises a housewarming party. Esther forces Leo to question his support for Bob.
    Damien decides he should do a night course. Dearbhla asks Rachel, who is Zak's school mate, to go to the party. Damien and Neasa agree to act as though nothing happens.

As the gossip against him starts, Bob vows to clear his name. Wayne puts a proposition to Damien. Leo urges Bob not to confront Tommy. Bob's plan to approach Tommy is foiled by Neasa's presence. Suzanne forces Damien to attend the housewarming party. Caoimhe suspects Rachel and Zak fancy each other.

Louie tells Suzanne that Damien has no job and she furiously berates him for quitting his job.
    Suzanne goes to the party without Damien. Bob crashes the Dillons' party. He confronts Tommy and then flees followed by Tommy, Judith and Neasa.

Leo and Deegan start to doubt Bob's innocence. Tommy attacks Bob but is dragged away by Neasa and Judith. Neasa apologises to Bob as a shocked Judith looks on.

Who removes the spoilers by the way? Im never quick enough to see any of them!!:p

Who removes the spoilers by the way? Im never quick enough to see any of them!!:p

Noone removes them! if you right click over the grey text with your mouse, you can read them :)

angel01 wrote: »
    Noone removes them! if you right click over the grey text with your mouse, you can read them :)

left click

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

where has Zumo's Lump gone :eek::eek::eek: ?

left click

Oops sorry..:o

• Advertisement

A new family is set to cause some serious upheaval on Fair City from next week.

Fans of the hit soap will already have met fun-loving temptress Neasa Dillon, played by actress Aoibhin Garrihy. The beautiful blonde had a one-night stand with her married debt collector Damien Halpin earlier this summer. And now she looks set to stir up things between him and his wife Suzanne again when her family moves in two doors down from the increasingly troubled couple. And to make matters even more complicated, Neasa's mum Judith will be pregnant by Suzanne's doctor.

The bubbly flirt is due back in Carrigstown with a bang this week, and will be quickly followed by her equally eye-catching sisters Caoimhe and Dearbhla, played by Aoibheann McCaul from Malahide and Kerrie O'Sullivan from Clonskeagh. The stunning siblings form part of the RTE soap's brand new clan The Dillons (right), who will appear together for the first time on Thursday night. Rounding out the feisty, well-heeled family will be dad Tommy, played by Geoff Minogue, and brother Zac, played by Kevin Joyce.

The young Terenure actor admitted the most challenging part of his role has been abandoning his Leinster rugby jersey in favour of a Kilkenny hurling jersey."It's all I ever seem to wear as well," he joked. Viewers will see the family move in next week from their rural farm in Kilkenny, but Judith and Neasa are back on screens this week to set things up for their arrival.

Catherine Byrne from Rathfarnham, who plays Dr Judith Dillon, said: "It's really exciting. We're a bit of a force to be reckoned with because there are six of us and we have our own house now so it's lovely." Aoibhin (22), from Castleknock, said the family, which are the first to be introduced to the series in the past decade, instantly clicked before the cameras even started rolling.

"It's been really strange how fast we have gelled together. We have only been working together for four weeks and we feel like we've known each other all our lives."

Oops sorry..:o

Your grand. Obviously what you said worked anyways, i was able to get the spoilers up:D

The Dillons better not be a disappointment after all this. :)

Thats true! Ive never known more about a soap family before i actually saw them on screen:)

I'd say there are some nervous people in RTE alright. Bringing in six new characters at one time is a big risk, particularly when some of them are so young and inexperienced.

They can't just quietly drop them, either. After all this fuss, they'll have to leave them there even if everyone hates them. But Judith and Neasa are great, and it sounds like the others have settled in already.

I am a bit wary of those pictures of Neasa in the skimpy outfit and bunny ears. I hope they're not just going to stick her in as window-dressing. It would be a waste of a good actress.

She could become a victim of her own extreme beauty, and God I know what that's like. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Gibson101

I'd say there are some nervous people in RTE alright. Bringing in six new characters at one time is a big risk, particularly when some of them are so young and inexperienced.

They can't just quietly drop them, either. After all this fuss, they'll have to leave them there even if everyone hates them. But Judith and Neasa are great, and it sounds like the others have settled in already.
    :D
    I am a bit wary of those pictures of Neasa in the skimpy outfit and bunny ears. I hope they're not just going to stick her in as window-dressing. It would be a waste of a good actress.

She could become a victim of her own extreme beauty, and God I know what that's like. :cool:

It's a huge risk and the show needs that sort of freshness to bring in new viewers. There's a terrible imbalance between men and women in the show and these girls can correct that I feel. Especially Neasa who is stunning, but if she's just eye candy like for example Avi, then I think it could backfire on them badly. I'm excited about the prospect of them causing as much trouble as possible :D The show needs that edge.

Gibson101 wrote: »
    It's a huge risk and the show needs that sort of freshness to bring in new viewers. There's a terrible imbalance between men and women in the show and these girls can correct that I feel. Especially Neasa who is stunning, but if she's just eye candy like for example Avi, then I think it could backfire on them badly.

I may be jumping the gun on this, but I think Neasa has proved herself already. Her scenes with Damien were very convincing, when they could so easily have been overdone.

I like the fact that she gets to interact with Zumo and Bob next week. One great thing about a big new family is the opportunity it gives everyone else to get stories.

Do you think a lot of new viewers will tune in? Is a new family that much news for people who aren't already fans? I'm not sure, but it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

What I would have done differently last night....just for comedy.

Deegan: Change for a fifty

Zumo: Make it a hundred and I'll do a full monty......

• Advertisement

Don't forget to send questions in for the Victor Burke interview today. Just sent mine in. Also sent in my competition entry - probably shoud have spent more time with the limerick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement