Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole claimants may have to work in community

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

same goes for construction workers so?? we spent yrs training,passed exams etc...or is it only if you have a collage degree that you should be exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 youngmoney

i think everyone should be exempt, i dont think it should be brought in. until they can say to an accounting graduate, heres an accounting placement for 19 hours a week, or to a law grad heres a law placement for 19 hours a week. go and do that, it will make you more employable....that would be fair enough...but as it stands i dont think this idea will achieve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

they won't be coming down on me cos i switched to disability allowance some years ago. basically my feet get sore when i walk too long..
    like, over 10 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

but what will happen with this new idea is that people that are new to the dole will be harrassed while life long scroungers will be left alone,as usual.
    In cases like that I don't think anyone would support the scheme however form the the information in the article it seems that people who are new to the dole / who are on Jobseeker's / who are covered by PRSI won't be on it.

my experience of the social welfare system is that if you cant play the system,like all scroungers can,then they make life pretty ****ty for you.
    i cant see many nigerians, life long irish scroungers,romas,d4 collage grads, etc...being forced into community work..do you? no they go after people who never claimed the dole in their lives before now cos they know they have a work ethic and will take the work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

10 reasons that the “work for dole” scheme is an odious idea.

1) The overwhelming majority of people on the dole paid PRSI for years before they became unemployed. It is not their fault that the government has blown ninety thousand million euros on bailouts and guarantee schemes and recapitalisation schemes for bankers. Forcing, at economic gunpoint, the weakest people in society to serve the political interests of the government is inequitable, and constitutes majoritarian tyranny against a weak demographic.

2) This scheme will not remove one single person from government dependency. The dole bill will still have to be paid, and this scheme will almost certainly cost more in administration than it will save in fraud reduction.

3) Such a scheme can only be fair if all 400,000 unemployed people are expected to partake in it. As is, 10% of unemployed people will be singled out for special treatment, leaving 360,000 lucky lottery winners free to continue as usual. Again, utterly inequitable.

4) Finding people with skills to work in the economy for less than those skills are worth fundamentally undermines the value of the skill for everyone. For example, if a community wants a project built, and an unemployed architect is assigned to them from this scheme, then architects in employment are missing out on work and fees, and the person working is being paid a pittance for their labour.

5) In the alternative, assigning people with general skills to activities for which they are not specifically qualified (for example, assigning a former secretary to work with the elderly) exposes the government to potentially huge liability in the event that unmotivated, unskilled workers make a mistake. Do we think that unmotivated, unskilled workers might make a mistake?

6) The idea that the purpose of such a scheme will be to crack down on fraud is a fundamentally disingenuous one. For starters, cracking down on fraud can be accomplished by allocating existing resources to that task (spotchecks + higher mandatory sentences). More importantly, if the scheme is limited to 10% of the unemployed, as news reports suggest, it will target only 10% of the fraud. This fact will be routinely ignored by the proponents of the scheme.

7) The added costs of compliance with such a scheme will be devastating for the unemployed. Are we going to pay for the childcare for a single mother who has to go out to work for a pittance? Are we going to pay transport costs? Or are we going to force people living below the poverty line to take a real terms cut in living standards for the sake of a cheap, populist, stunt?

8) By definition, most of the work will be pointless. “Work schemes” tend to create work for which there is no economic market – the idea that the hedgerows of ireland need trimming will be news to the average person living in rural Ireland, for example. If the work is meaningful, it will put existing people out of jobs (for example, repainting a school may be an idea the government has in mind, but what happens the local painter). If it is meaningless, then the scheme has no societal benefit at all.

9) Why wasn’t this scheme introduced in the boom? The answer? Because while there were many many jobs which could have been done by people on such a scheme because of the labour shortage, the people in office preferred to allow immigrants to do those jobs. At a time when it could have been imaginative, there was no imagination. Now, when it is mean spirited and pointless, there is no shortage of those traits in government.

10) The human reason. Contrary to the spin that this scheme will somehow be empowering, the only emotions this kind of work will arouse in your average unemployed accountant are those of humiliation, shame, and resentment.

It’s an odious idea, designed to win votes from grumpy taxpayers on the backs of the “lazy” unemployed, and to detract attention from the failings of government. It should be resisted fiercely.

lot of truth there. as someone on the dole,who cant find any work, i wouldnt mind the idea of the scheme cant see it being run for the benifit of the unemployed but rather the employer. also, as you said not all will be hassled to take part,they'll hassle the decent working class man cos they know he has a work ethic all the while the professionl scrounger(irish,nigerian,polish etc....) will plod along nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I hate the idea of forcing people to work for their dole. It's the kind of nonsense that appeals only to tabloid-reading idiots and the kind of tedious, embittered cretins who whinge and moan endlessly about their taxes. If you don't like paying tax, quit your job and live (a life of total luxury, obviously) on €200 per week instead, you boring fucks.

However... if the government was to adopt a carrot, rather than a stick approach and create temporary community-based jobs (yes, actual jobs, rather than 'work-for-your-dole') for skilled people currently receiving unemployment payments, I wouldn't have any objections. It could be like a great big nationwide equivalent of a 'tidy towns committee', with unemployed architects, engineers, carpenters, bricklayers, etc being paid to make towns and villages more aesthetically pleasing, thus making the country a less shit place in the long-term and more attractive to tourists.

Anything which involves forcing the unemployed (most of whom - contrary to the kind of bullshit that crops up with monotonous regularity on AH - genuinely want proper jobs) into some half-arsed scheme, geared primarily towards demeaning them, is doomed to failure. It's nothing more than a right-winger's wet dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

To Gizmo. The people of which you refere are well used to the dark arts of Disability,Addict,Neurosis,Mentally Unstable. They know every trick in the book .Its the family occupation. There just carrying on the family dradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Collie D wrote: »
    Two completely different opinions and both completely valid. If people want to volunteer for this fair play to them. If they don't, they shouldn't be forced into community service like a petty criminal.

I'd imagine the people saying "Wow 210e for 19hrs is like gettin part-time work, sign me up!" have probably not earned up the credits to get a fair whack off the social welfare. I'd imagine those who have barely worked in the last couple of years, maybe people only out of college too, only getting 50e a week from the dole wouldn't mind something like this, its not a bad part-time wage as long as its not something humiliating the workers have to do.

I worked part-time from the time I was 14 up til becoming unemployed from full time work aged 23, so qualified for the full 196e. I pay a fair chunk of this towards a student loan i pay each month that i took out to do a post-grad degree in accountancy in hope of starting a career. The economy went tits up in the meantime and i haven't been able to get any work in the area, i send in CV's for things i want to work in(e.g. not working in retail etc.) tbf i awknowledge i would have a handy number financially if it wasnt for the loan, but its rare i have anything like 200e a week to spend on myself.

ive been out of work 10 months now, the only help ive got was FAS calling me in to explore options. told me i could work in that "9 month scheme where you work for nothing" essentially, but other than that there's not much they can do for me as im over qualified for all the courses they offer(e.g. "Entry to book-keeping" etc). i had considered doing one of their CV & interview courses as i think poor interviews by myself have cost me a few times.

I would love to have my old Job back and happily be still working but I for one won't be doing any of this ****e if i can help it, unless its something decent like a part-time stint in something to do with my degree which may lead to employment if i perform well, that wont cost me travel fare(then there's lunches on top of that) Ive plenty of things to do to keep busy if thats what people are saying its for and can't stand the boredom, take up some hobbies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

youngmoney wrote: »
    To those with practical degrees, what make you think you are better than an average street sweeper when you are actually not currently employed, and the street sweeper is?

terry those with practical degrees im sure dont think they are any better than a street sweeper...but if they have a degree in accounting or engineering that many of them will have gained top marks for by persevering through hours and hours of studying away in the library, often weekends upon weekends of being abused in their part time jobs trying to raise funds to keep them going through college, making numerous sacrifices to get the marks they needed, on top of all the money they sapped from their poor parents to get them leaving cert grinds..... all on the basis of false promises and chinese whispers that told us, put in the slog now and you will be comfortable later on for your efforts..... you would have to pardon someone if after all the expense and 5 or 6 years of studying that they would slightly resent having to do a job, that had they known they were going to end up doing, could have saved themselves 1000's in educational fees and simply went working straight after the junior/leaving cert....[/QUOTE]

+1

I did my degree then post-grad in accountancy, needed to keep on a part-time position to pay the loan i needed for said post-grad

I had to rush back from lecturers over at 4pm to make it into work at 5pm, then get sneered at by managers who treated me as tho i only got out of bed a min ago for work, giving me the worst things to do cos i was "fresh" and they'd been in all day. when i had been up and down in college since 8am that morning. Also worked from 8am-7pm on saturdays,Then I had to take the only summer holidays i was entitled to off to study for a repeat exam i had so got no break whatsoever.

Ah well that accounting degree worked out well for me, i now get an opportunity to help the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 youngmoney

i hear ya! dont know which is more depressing...applying for jobs youd love and know you wont get, or applying for jobs youd hate....but also know you wont get!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I think every one of us knows multiple people who sit on their backsides getting dole money they often don't need at all and drink it every weekend though, right? I know I do, and this scheme would be a damn good idea for them. But as mentioned previously, the cons far outweigh the pros and it seems like the government is desperately grappling votes with another half baked idea. Even seems very reminiscent of the famine follies in my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I think every one of us knows multiple people who sit on their backsides getting dole money they often don't need at all and drink it every weekend though, right? I know I do...

Thanks, you've just defined the word 'spurious' beautifully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

For those who say that most dole people want to work, it depends a lot IMO.

There are people on the dole who get rent allowance of say, €100 a week, possibly more. Before a good bit of those people could have been getting an extra €150-€200 a week into the hand. That means they had €350-€400 in the pocket every week, and their rent payed.

They wouldn't have wanted to work, at say, apple computers where they would come out with €350 after taxes and having to pay rent and medical care. Working a lot more as well. But the "long time scroungers" have to study now. I don't know many people who are just sitting on their arse while receiving the dole. (job seekers allowance, disability or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 simtouch

A shi!te experience!! but for the people that are on the dole and doing nothing except drinking and being bums in general ,it might make them think of a new career path;)

You live by your opinion and us unemployed can easily get out of being humiliated, so my fellow unemployed professionals lets contact employers and offer to do the loud mouths jobs for 210.00 euros a week then they go on the dole clean the streets and we take financial pressure off their employer. Everyone wins ! basically if i am made do it then i am sure i can pursade some employer to let me do some one's 500.00 euro job for 210.00 no problem.:)
    Hey i might get the career i want yet poor sod that i will replace for a chaeper rate.

Big Steve wrote: »
    Oh my favorite. community service. make them work for it. Everyone on the dole goes out 2 or 3 days a week sweeps their local streets or park at about 8 in the morn when the rest of us tax payers are going to work, paints the local businesses to remove graffiti or help out by portering in hospitals teaching people to read. if you don't show up for one of the days you only get half your dole. you miss both you don't get anything the next week. not like they have much else to do. and no more double weeks come Christmas.
    You live by your opinion and us unemployed can easily get out of being humiliated, so my fellow unemployed professionals lets contact employers and offer to do the loud mouths jobs for 210.00 euros a week then they go on the dole clean the streets and we take financial pressure off their employer. Everyone wins ! basically if i am made do it then i am sure i can pursade some employer to let me do some one's 500.00 euro job for 210.00 no problem.smile.gif
    Hey i might get the career i want yet poor sod that i will replace for a chaeper rate.

You sweep the streets

People will be able to get out of it very easily if they want, I can imagine now people showing up smelling like **** and doing the bear min and fighting with the other workers just so they will be left out of the scheme:D.
    We can just contact employers and offer to do someone's €500.00 job for €210.00 euro a week this will be very benifical for many employers, it may even bring down the cost of living and wage costs. You never know it might even be your job i offer to do for €210.00 a week. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Collie D wrote: »
    What experience would an out of work accountant or a recently graduated law student get from sweeping streets?
    What experience would they get sitting at home?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I'd be interested in hearing O' Cuiv's explanation of why he expects it to be cost neutral. I would have thought a scheme like this would be costly to set up and implement.

As for his claim that the extra cost may be offset by "people who are not genuinely unemployed ceasing to claim benefits" - thats just gibberish nonsense.

If i was really unemployed this actually could threaten peoples jobs so i am sure you get my point at this stage, leave the unemployed alone as they could offer to do someone's job for €210.00 a week and i would not like it to be mine. Live and let live it could be us sooner than we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Why are they saying only 10,000 will be in the scheme, why not everybody on the dole, tbh i think they should have to tidy tax payers houses, iron clothes, cut the lawn etc for anyone working, it's only fair.

what nonsense is this.

the people that will have to do this so called community service were taxpayers and probably have being paying their taxes for donkeys years until they lost their jobs and you are saying that these people quote: should have to tidy tax payers houses, iron clothes, cut the lawn etc for anyone working, it's only fair. what planet are you on ?

another thing i lost my job 7 months ago i worked as a computer repair technician and i am supposed to do community service ? well hang on right there... if you break the law you will be brought to court and the judge will either give you a prison sentence or will give you community service, i am not a criminal so why the hell should i have to be forced to do such a thing, and if i don't comply i lose my benefit from which i have payed years and years of taxes.

I thought slavery was a thing of the past in ireland but it looks like i'm wrong.

this just boggles the mind. it just goes to show you how messed up and insane this government really is.

It would make more sense if the Govt created (real) jobs, there are markets out there that a commercial operation wouldn't touch as there is insufficient profit in it for them.

Recycling computers for example, systems could be built from the parts and sold/donated, the remainder dismantled for recycling.

Stripping scrapped cars, after the breakers have sold the good bits.

Many scrapped items are shipped to the far east for stripping, these could be done here, it won't be profitable, but it's more beneficial than sitting at home scratching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It would make more sense if the Govt created (real) jobs, there are markets out there that a commercial operation wouldn't touch as there is insufficient profit in it for them.

Recycling computers for example, systems could be built from the parts and sold/donated, the remainder dismantled for recycling.

Many scrapped items are shipped to the far east for stripping, these could be done here, it won't be profitable, but it's more beneficial than sitting at home scratching.

why does everyone assume that people are sitting at home scratching ? i never got that one.

standing in a 400 person que looking for a decent job when all a business/company wants are two workers out of this amount of people every sh*tty day, i'd rather be scratching my ass at home as it is always a waste of time. come december budget people will really feel the pain thats forsure.

i might just get a loan and start my own small repair business at least i will get help with a small grant from the social and if it doesn't work i'll emigrate out of this sesspool of sludge of a country.

i'd be ashamed of myself to even pay tax again in this country cause it's all going to the god damn bank bailouts. that destroyed all our jobs in the first place. it makes me physically sick.

zenno wrote: »
    why does everyone assume that people are sitting at home scratching ? i never got that one.

I'm referring to the "professional" claimants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

gizmo wrote: »
    The term "forced labour" immediately brings to mind other terms which have severely negative connotations
    Oh does it? Right, we should just go ahead and just call it slavery so.
    none of which usually result in the recipient earning above minimum wage.
    Slaves need to be fed and housed too.
    I'm not denying that in the slightest, however it should be pointed out that the social welfare system is far more generous at home than it is in the UK but that's an issue for a different thread.
    This is true, but thats not the fault of the vast majority of welfare recipients, who made their contributions in good faith. Its the fault once again of the exact same people who are now bringing forced labour to Ireland. By pushing up things like public sector worker wages and welfare assistance (since there were so few people on welfare at the time), they set themselves up nicely to be completely hammered when the eminently predictable collapse came.

I think starbelgrade has summed it up nicely there.

This is the kind of thinking we need, there are a lot of motivated, educated and intelligent people out there without work - why isn't the government figuring out how to use that to create real jobs and enterprise? How long did it take After Hours to come up with this solution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

This is a great idea, we all know an area local to us that needs tidying, graffiti removed, place swept, grass cut etc, weeds pulled put. Plus all work would be helping their town look nicer, that can only be a good thing.

The town where i live in, Balbriggan could do with a project like this, There should be a criteria of course, It should only be for long term unemployed, i.e pre 2007 dole claimants that have not done a tap.

chain gans FTW :pac:

Alan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

This is a great idea, we all know an area local to us that needs tidying, graffiti removed, place swept, grass cut etc, weeds pulled put. Plus all work would be helping their town look nicer, that can only be a good thing.

The town where i live in, Balbriggan could do with a project like this, There should be a criteria of course, It should only be for long term unemployed, i.e pre 2007 dole claimants that have not done a tap.

chain gans FTW :pac:

Alan

as long as someone else has to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

If there are jobs out there to be done like town maintenance let the bloody government turn them into proper tax paying jobs with that will give unemployed people a proper living, a reason to get up in the morning and a sense of self-worth. Maybe the people who think their communities need tidying up should get up off their arses and help do it themselves.

So many of the posts in this thread talk about 'They'. Cop on, they could very easily turn into I and I wonder how keen you would be on getting out there and doing it yourselves when and if you lose your jobs.

Advertisement