Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostitution

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Criminalising punters won't stop people killing prostitutes. The only solution is to bring the entire industry above ground with proper regulation, rights and working conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

Brits ?? Ok so they are at fault :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I posted a link earlier in this thread (or maybe it was the other prostitution thread) where Ruhama say all foreign prostitutes are trafficked, and where they say all prostitutes have been coerced and forced.

The story if the 17 year old Romanian backfired a bit for them as they were unable to provide any evidence she exists. They then lobbied the government to introduce a law where they (Ruhama) would not need to provide any evidence for the things they say; that people should be prosecuted based on their word only. Again, I post a linked to this somewhere earlier in this thread.

In a nutshell, Ruhama are ****ing insane. I hate them for their lies which have half of Ireland convinced there are women chained to walls all over the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

AARRGh, got to say kudos for your tenacity.

This is such a long thread, I actually have read all of it over a long while so now I have forgotten most of it!

So, what I want is proper legislation protecting all kinds of sex workers.

No more denial that people want sex and are willing to do and pay anything for it,no more bull****ting.

I agree with AAARRGH when the case is made vociferiously that not all sex workers are trafficked victims. If you do think this, then surely legislation in favour of the sex worker would get rid of these shocking cases.,

Fact is, Ruhama are a right wing catholic organisation, and whatever good they may do 'rescuing' genuine victims, and nobody is denying here that trafficking and victimisation does go on.

Nonetheless we need to face up to the fact that as Irish people yes we like sex, need it, and sometimes we pay for it. Therefore, regulate the industry.

• Advertisement

Thanks Darlughda.
    Darlughda wrote: »
    I agree with AAARRGH when the case is made vociferiously that not all sex workers are trafficked victims. If you do think this, then surely legislation in favour of the sex worker would get rid of these shocking cases.

I'm beginning to think though that these people don't really care about the victims, hence why they don't want to improve the working standards of sex workers. I think their real issue is they think sex is sort of dirty and it disgusts them that people are paying for it. The trafficking angle is just a socially acceptable way to express these feelings.

I could be wrong of course, but I can't think of any other reason why they don't want to legitimise or at least semi-legitimise the industry to make it safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Done

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

not all prostitution is what you would expect...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jun/05/brothel-in-country-village-experience

I want proper legislation that protects prostitutes rather than criminalises them.

I don't understand why people do hard drugs as I think you have to be a mega strong person to come out the other side. But I dont think you should ban all drugs.

People should have the freedom to choose and be allowed to be informed and protected if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Jake LeMotta

Man, I just took a walk through my local hooker zone.

I swear, you can tell the girls that have been working a while from the ones that just started.

Some of them are just flaked.
    It's like, all the sexual energy has been drained out of them and they're just shells of human beings - glassy eye'd and emotionless.

The new ones look fresh - but unless they know when to give it a rest you know they're gonna be the same not to long.

Edit: How do these girls establish a meaningful relationships/lives, when they decide to give it all up??
    You'd imagine they need to go into rehab or something.
    Especially the one's that are at it a long time.

Just my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

musicmonky wrote: »
    I want proper legislation that protects prostitutes rather than criminalises them.
    Indeed, so do I. Like in Sweden. Arrest the punters and put their names in the papers.

Works (as well as such things can work) for Sweden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

Prostitution has been around for thousands of years. I'm in no way condoning it, but unless the thinking changes about it, then it will change. I think it's very sad that people feel that they have to do this, no matter their circumstances. It's a very harsh reality for them, and people that use them have to realise this isn't just a "service" that they're providing, they're real people with a motive behind doing this - be it for money, or supporting their kids, or whatever. I would hate to think that anyone I know would ever go to one, as I would never look at them the same again - sex isn't something to be taken lightly (not meaning it shouldn't be fun, but with the right person) as it's a huge act of intimacy with another person. I think that more should be done to help people who go down the line of prostitution and not just leave them to their own devices, even if they do choose it I'm pretty sure most of them are very unhappy with doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭mkahnisbent

RachPie wrote: »
    sex isn't something to be taken lightly (not meaning it shouldn't be fun, but with the right person) as it's a huge act of intimacy with another person

You're making the same mistake many other people make: you're projecting your opinion of sex onto prostitutes and assuming they think like you.

Please believe me when I say not everyone thinks sex is sacred. That's one of the major differences between you and a prostitute.

Honestly I find is sick the way so many people want to control the behavior of others and force everyone to think like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Personally i don't think we should be encouraging it or excepting it.Majority of women who end up in that kind of rat race,is because they have no option lost all self worth and do not feel they can amount to anything.
    And men should not be going to them and cut it out all together to kill the trade.
    You never know who is there because they want to be and who started out forced and know no other life,or think they are not worth or able for anything good in life.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dissident-republican-boss-is-central-to-gang-of-peopletraffickers-and-pimps-2228120.html

Off topic question sorry,Is there still rent boys in phoenix park as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Just watched this documentary on 4OD about two women who try to set up a brothel in Britain. They also travel to other brothels around the world and one woman in Nevada says she earns around half a million a year.

Thought I'd just post it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Im Q

I like them and am completely open to everone male and female in every country. Their choice.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Australia-New-South-Wales-Explains-Why-Legalising-Prostitution-Works-Ian-Woods-Reports/Article/201007415669830?lpos=UK_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Teaser_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_15669830_Australia%3A_New_South_Wales_Explains_Why_Legalising_Prostitution_Works._Ian_Woods_Reports
    'Fewer Murders' If Prostitution Allowed Share Share Comments (47)
    11:22am UK, Saturday July 24, 2010

Ian Woods, Australia correspondent

A leading expert on prostitution has insisted that Britain would have fewer murders if the sex industry was decriminalised.
    His comments come after Prime Minister David Cameron said it may be time to "look again" at the UK's sex laws, in the wake of three killings in Bradford.

Professor Basil Donovan, the head of the Sexual Health Department at the University of New South Wales, has seen the effect of legalising sex work - the Australian state decriminalised prostitution 15 years ago.

New South Wales has around 300 council approved brothels, 200 of them in Sydney. He said making the industry legal, makes it safer for all those involved.

Professor Basil Donovan

"Decriminalisation results in a healthier sex industry, which means that if your son or your husband sneaks off to the brothel at night, he's far more likely to come home healthy."

The cases of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV have fallen, with prostitutes able to get condoms for free through government agencies.

Professor Donovan told Sky News sex workers are more likely to cooperate with police investigations, if they are not threatened with prosecution.

"You couldn't get a Steve Wright situation in New South Wales," he said.

Wright murdered five women in Ipswich in 2006. Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper, preyed on prostitutes in the 1970s and, more recently, three women were killed in Bradford.

A safe sex 'health' warning to clients

Prof Donovan said the Wright case was made worse because "you had an industry which was terrified of the police and gave them criminal status".

The professor continued: "One of the things criminal status does is it depersonalises people. People lose their rights to protection by the state."

Amore is a nine-room brothel in the west of Sydney. Clients pay around £150 an hour to have sex in rooms which are well equipped and furnished with a bed, spa bath and shower.

One of the women who works there agreed to give Sky News an insight into the profession. She called herself Randy Dollars and said she was 26 and a former clerical worker.

"Randy Dollars" feels safe working as a prostitute

In some other parts of Australia, she would be breaking the law and running the risk of having the premises raided by police. But not in New South Wales.

"I can actually ask the police for help and support and they're not going to try to arrest me, and I don't have to hide my profession," she said.

"If there's a client or a person that I feel is of interest to the police, I can call the police and tell them. In a criminalised setting, I would not do that."

Consequently she says that sex work is like any other job, just "less stressful".

Janelle Faulkes, chief executive of sex workers association Scarlett Alliance

"It is meant to be a relaxing environment and when you're worried about things like police raids, or what's going to happen next? Is someone going to bang on the door and rush in and arrest you? It's not relaxing."

Legalising the profession, she said, meant it is no longer prone to police corruption or links to the underworld.

Although the rules are meant to keep brothels away from schools and residential neighbourhoods, Amore is on a busy main road, close to smart apartments and opposite a public park and children's playground.

The sex workers have their own association which lobbies on their behalf.

Janelle Faulkes, the chief executive of Scarlet Alliance, said what goes on in a brothel is similar to any other neighbourhood - consenting adults have sex behind closed doors.

Kings Cross in Sydney, an area well known for the sex trade

"I think we really need to address what is the fear of what goes on in a brothel.," she said.

"It is adults having sex and going about their day-to-day business. It isn't really something that's going to have a strong impact on the community."

Mr Cameron talked of "looking again" at Britain's prostitution laws in the wake of the murders in Bradford, but it seems unlikely that it will be high up the Government's agenda.

There are not many votes to be won by decriminalisation and, potentially, many votes to be lost if it sparked a moral crusade by opponents of reform.

The law was changed in New South Wales with bi-partisan support but, even 15 years later, it was hard to persuade politicians to talk about the success of liberalising sex laws.

It may be legal, but the stigma remains and, like the business itself, they prefer to discuss it behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It's all very well to say it's their choice but that doesn't mean it should be encouraged either.

If my daughter/sister/friend came to me and said ' AudreyH I want to be a prostitute....what do you think?' the last thing I'd do would be tell her I'd be happy to see walk the streets alone at night dressed in barely anything, selling herself all manner of men or get involved in seedy clubs and dodgy pimps who would kill her as quick as look at her if she disappointed them.

I feel very sorry for any woman who is in such dire straits that the only way she can see out of it is to sell her body and , in my opinion, reduce herself to nothing more than an instrument for men's pleasure.

Regardless of how you regulate it there will always be those abuse it, because it's human nature for many to go against the rules.

It's all very well to say it's their choice but that doesn't mean it should be encouraged either.

It probably shouldn't be discouraged either. Not everyone thinks sex is dirty or wrong. I understand you have issues with sex for money, but it is very unhealthy to apply your own moral code to everyone.

Saying all that, it's certainly a tougher job than say working as a receptionist, but the extremely high salary makes up for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Popeyes

I fully support prostitution and think it should be fully legalized which would, as the above article states, serve to protect prostitutes and their clients.

Only downside would be places like amsterdam and thailand might loose some of their appeal from a tourist point of view, to a certain extent.

Having said that, I was in NZ for a year and prostitution is fully legal, as well as some A class drugs - which are actually available in the chemists, and for some reason there is just not the same public attention focused on these things as there is in say, amsterdam.

But yeah, at the end of the day - it's slightly contrary activity as regards how women are intended to be viewed as such - delicate, precious, intimate, loving etc - selling themselves for money doesn't exactly suggest any of them things; but at the end of the day, it's just people doing what they gotta do - make money.

And who do they hurt? (Apart for the public feminine ideal)
    Nobody - it's not like they're drug pushers or something.
    All natural.
    Make it legal - help these chicks make a living.
    And lets do away with once and for all the idea that women are repressed in society as regards status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    Indeed, so do I. Like in Sweden. Arrest the punters and put their names in the papers.

Works (as well as such things can work) for Sweden.

So people can sell illegal services with impunity, but buying illegal services gets prison?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Popeyes wrote: »
    And who do they hurt? (Apart for the public feminine ideal)
    Nobody - it's not like they're drug pushers or something.
    All natural.
    Make it legal - help these chicks make a living.
    And lets do away with once and for all the idea that women are repressed in society as regards status.

Have you any idea what your talking about, or have you even read this tread properly... Of course people are hurt!

Many of the prostitutes are scared for they lives and their families lives. Granted there are some who so it and make good money from it, maybe even some who enjoy it, but there are many who are Slaves in the industry, locked in and told, run and you family gets it!

Tell me again, who do they hurt!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jack The Butcher

Have you any idea what your talking about, or have you even read this tread properly... Of course people are hurt!

Many of the prostitutes are scared for they lives and their families lives. Granted there are some who so it and make good money from it, maybe even some who enjoy it, but there are many who are Slaves in the industry, locked in and told, run and you family gets it!

Tell me again, who do they hurt!?

Well, I'm sure in some situations there are victims.
    I can't comment on them as I have no experience of them.

But in my experience of prostitution in particular locations - thailand and amsterdam - the girls are under no obligation to anyone but themselves.
    From what I saw, most of them enjoy the work they do.

Having said that, I'm under no illusion.
    They're in it to make money.
    It's not a case of they're doing it purely out of enjoyment.

I'm sure that money is necessary to support themselves, and their families in some cases.

And that's why I'm making the point - it should be legalized.
    The professional working world isn't for everyone.
    And prostitution so happens to be - from what I have seen - a great way to make pretty serious dough in a relatively short space of time - in a relaxed environment.

For example - I spoke with one girl in a window in Amsterdam some time ago (strictly spoke) and she explained how, out of the 54 weeks of the year, she would work 6 of them as a window prostitute, and make enough money to put herself through college in her home city of Prague.

6 weeks out of 54 working - and that's the kind of dough we're talking.

Now, say a girl works 4/5 years in the trade.
    She's potentially set up for life.

Gone are the days when women are financially dependent on men - and legalization of this trade would only serve to enhance this situation - as well as, hopefully, alleviate the type of situations you are referring to - them being, those which are detrimental to those involved in the trade; those subject to pimping, prostitution against their will, abuse etc. as it would be overseen by the authorities - what with it being legal - and therefore these malpractices may well be eliminated entirely.

Well, I'm sure in some situations there are victims.
    I can't comment on them as I have no experience of them.

Didnt mean to come across so strong, but I have seen first hand what it can be like to some of the women who are forced into it, how they are pretty much locked in a house 24 hours a day just to serve lads who are so desperate they will shag a women for money, so desperate that they will have sex with a women who has had sex with god knows how many other lads before him that day.
    But in my experience of prostitution in particular locations - thailand and amsterdam - the girls are under no obligation to anyone but themselves.
    From what I saw, most of them enjoy the work they do.
    Thats what you saw, what about what you didn't see.. kids being pimped out for prostitution and porn. I can see what your saying about how it can help the women in the industry, but there are always going to be a black market where women and children will be bought and sold and used to pleasure a bunch of dirty perverts.
    Having said that, I'm under no illusion.
    They're in it to make money.
    It's not a case of they're doing it purely out of enjoyment.
    Yes, thats true for many prostitutes, but as I said above, there are many who have no choice, who are told their lives and their families lives are at risk if they stop doing it.

Think of this, In USA they made owning a gun legal, now there are more people with guns, more people selling them on the black market and more people being shot. Making something legal can only work if there is enough resources to police it, and in Ireland we certainly don't have enough Gardai to police an industry as big as prostitution.
    I'm sure that money is necessary to support themselves, and their families in some cases.

And that's why I'm making the point - it should be legalized.
    The professional working world isn't for everyone.
    And prostitution so happens to be - from what I have seen - a great way to make pretty serious dough in a relatively short space of time - in a relaxed environment.

For example - I spoke with one girl in a window in Amsterdam some time ago (strictly spoke) and she explained how, out of the 54 weeks of the year, she would work 6 of them as a window prostitute, and make enough money to put herself through college in her home city of Prague.

6 weeks out of 54 working - and that's the kind of dough we're talking.

Now, say a girl works 4/5 years in the trade.
    She's potentially set up for life.
    I agree with you that the money is great, and for those girls that enter into prostution on their own accord, they are very wealthy women. But is it really worth the risk of catching Aids or other infections that may possibly kill them. And what about the girls that are forced into it, they get nothing. They work for food basically.
    Gone are the days when women are financially dependent on men
    Actually, thats kinda a contradiction.. Without the men, there would be no work for them. ;) So if you think about it, its the men of the world that are keeping the industry alive, keeping young girls locked up as sex slaves when they should be out enjoying life, hanging around with their friends and going home to a safe place each night.. not locked up to be raped 10 times a day every day.
    - and legalization of this trade would only serve to enhance this situation - as well as, hopefully, alleviate the type of situations you are referring to - them being, those which are detrimental to those involved in the trade; those subject to pimping, prostitution against their will, abuse etc. as it would be overseen by the authorities - what with it being legal - and therefore these malpractices may well be eliminated entirely.
    You will never get rid of the black market, its where the best money is in any industry. Cigarettes are legal, yet people still smuggle them into Ireland to sell them cheap - its a multi-million Euro black market industry. As long as there is a market for something, there will also be a black-market too.

Don't get me wrong, I can see what your saying and your point of view, but I think for many, people don't see or realise that just because everything looks good on the outside, there can be a very dark and brutal world on the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jack The Butcher

Didnt mean to come across so strong, but I have seen first hand what it can be like to some of the women who are forced into it, how they are pretty much locked in a house 24 hours a day just to serve lads who are so desperate they will shag a women for money, so desperate that they will have sex with a women who has had sex with god knows how many other lads before him that day.

Thats what you saw, what about what you didn't see.. kids being pimped out for prostitution and porn. I can see what your saying about how it can help the women in the industry, but there are always going to be a black market where women and children will be bought and sold and used to pleasure a bunch of dirty perverts.

Yes, thats true for many prostitutes, but as I said above, there are many who have no choice, who are told their lives and their families lives are at risk if they stop doing it.

Think of this, In USA they made owning a gun legal, now there are more people with guns, more people selling them on the black market and more people being shot. Making something legal can only work if there is enough resources to police it, and in Ireland we certainly don't have enough Gardai to police an industry as big as prostitution.

I agree with you that the money is great, and for those girls that enter into prostution on their own accord, they are very wealthy women. But is it really worth the risk of catching Aids or other infections that may possibly kill them. And what about the girls that are forced into it, they get nothing. They work for food basically.

Actually, thats kinda a contradiction.. Without the men, there would be no work for them. ;) So if you think about it, its the men of the world that are keeping the industry alive, keeping young girls locked up as sex slaves when they should be out enjoying life, hanging around with their friends and going home to a safe place each night.. not locked up to be raped 10 times a day every day.

You will never get rid of the black market, its where the best money is in any industry. Cigarettes are legal, yet people still smuggle them into Ireland to sell them cheap - its a multi-million Euro black market industry. As long as there is a market for something, there will also be a black-market too.

Don't get me wrong, I can see what your saying and your point of view, but I think for many, people don't see or realise that just because everything looks good on the outside, there can be a very dark and brutal world on the inside.

Good points.

Particularly about the fact that to have it legalized, the necessary police force must be in place.
    I haven't read much of this thread, but I suspect his is one of the more valid points that has been made.

Your right about thailand and other Asian countries; there is a huge black market trade where girls and children are prostituted against their will.
    And of course that is macabre and scandalous, to say the least.

One thing I noticed, having spent time in Amsterdam, is the police force is quite stunning.
    There is rarely a street to be found that is not being patrolled by beat police, cars/horseback/motorbike, as well as plain clothes.

Indeed, there seems to be a female police sector that check up on the prostitutes and bring them condiments through out the day - make sure they're staying in good shape for the job, no doubt.

The girl I spoke to while I was there explained also how she had, in her room, two alarm buttons.
    One for private security, and one that alerts the nearby beat police that she is in need of assistance, should a circumstance arise.

I must concur with your point that, realistically, this type of law enforcement could never exist in the UK or Ireland, one major reason being the tax increase that would result, as the standard tax rate in Holland is 50%.

And I don't think any Irish citizens would concede this rate just so some blokes can legally get their jollies for a reasonable fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Your point here is not against prostitution but against exploitation and slavery. If prostitution were legalised a lot of that exploitation would be removed.

Not true, where gun laws are liberalised in certain US states, crime rates have fallen.

There are measures prostitutions can take to protect themselves from STD’s
    Actually, thats kinda a contradiction.. Without the men, there would be no work for them. So if you think about it, its the men of the world that are keeping the industry alive, keeping young girls locked up as sex slaves when they should be out enjoying life, hanging around with their friends and going home to a safe place each night.. not locked up to be raped 10 times a day every day.

Again exploitation and slavery argument.

Price of ciggies is too high. Prostitutes have been know to lower their prices in particular during recessions.

BTW, most people engage in prostitution when they have sex it's just not explicit as money is not exchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    BTW, most people engage in prostitution when they have sex it's just not explicit as money is not exchanged.

:confused:

That makes no sense at all.

The definition of Prostitution from Dictionary.com

pros·ti·tu·tion
    –noun 1. the act or practice of engaging in sexual intercourse for money.

Having sex is not prostitution if money is not exchanged.

:confused:

That makes no sense at all.

The definition of Prostitution from Dictionary.com

pros·ti·tu·tion
    –noun 1. the act or practice of engaging in sexual intercourse for money.

Having sex is not prostitution if money is not exchanged.

True, if you stick to the specific definition. But don't people grant sexual favours for a jobs promotion say?

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    True, if you stick to the specific definition. But don't people grant sexual favors for a jobs promotion say?

Those people are hardly locked in a house 24hrs a day!

Tell me this, gun crime might be going down in some states, but if it wasn't a problem, why do other states have Gun Drives to try and get them off the streets? Maybe because a lot people are being killed by them.

As for prostitutes protecting themselfve from STD's, surly when they offer unprotected sex, thats not really being protected, is it. And BTW, they do offer unprotected sex for a extra fee.

Also, making something legal doesn't actually get rid of the problem. There is always going to be a black market. Just because adults could prostitute themselves out legally, doesn't mean human traffickers will stop prostituting kids out. The problem will never go away. Its worldwide. making something legal only means that government can have some sort of control over it and make extra tax dollars in the process.

Oh, so when I have sex with my GF, is she a prostitute.. She would slap you hard if she read that comment. lol

• Advertisement

Those people are hardly locked in a house 24hrs a day!
    What people are locked in a house 24hrs a day?

Tell me this, gun crime might be going down in some states, but if it wasn't a problem, why do other states have Gun Drives to try and get them off the streets? Maybe because a lot people are being killed by them.

What are gun drives?
    As for prostitutes protecting themselfve from STD's, surly when they offer unprotected sex, thats not really being protected, is it. And BTW, they do offer unprotected sex for a extra fee.

Well if they want to take the risk, more fools them. BTW, can you back that up with a link?
    Also, making something legal doesn't actually get rid of the problem. There is always going to be a black market. Just because adults could prostitute themselves out legally, doesn't mean human traffickers will stop prostituting kids out. The problem will never go away. Its worldwide. making something legal only means that government can have some sort of control over it and make extra tax dollars in the process.

Prostituting kids out is peadohilia. Giving kids smokes and alcohol is also unlawful but that doesn't mean we should ban smokes and alcohol for adults.
    Oh, so when I have sex with my GF, is she a prostitute.. She would slap you hard if she read that comment. lol

You are in a relationship with your GF. One aspect of that (healthy) relationship is sex. If your GF refused to have sex with you, I don't think the relationship would last very long, would it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement