Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Make Womb For Baby
    Tiny ‘Hand Of Hope’ reaches out to Doctor...
    Fetus emerges from Mom's womb to grasp Doctor’s finger – “Thanks for the gift of life!”

21-week-old unborn baby Samuel Alexander Armas is being operated on by surgeon
    Joseph Bruner. The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive
    if removed from his mother's womb.

Little Samuel's mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta. She knew of
    Dr. Bruner's remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
    in Nashville, he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb.
    During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small
    incision to operate on the baby.

As Dr. Bruner completed the surgery on Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully
    developed hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger. Dr. Bruner was
    reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of
    his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.

Little Samuel's mother said they “wept for days” when they saw the picture. She said,
    “The photo reminds us pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness - it's about a little person.”

Samuel was born in perfect health, the operation 100 percent successful...

WombBaby.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Make Womb For Baby
    Fetus emerges from Mom's womb to grasp Doctor’s finger – “Thanks for the gift of life!”

Little Samuel's mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta. She knew of
    Dr. Bruner's remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
    in Nashville, he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb.
    During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small

As Dr. Bruner completed the surgery on Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully
    developed hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon's finger. Dr. Bruner was
    reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of
    his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.

Little Samuel's mother said they “wept for days” when they saw the picture. She said,
    “The photo reminds us pregnancy isn't about disability or an illness - it's about a little person.”

WombBaby.jpg

A lovely thought, but unfortunately not true.
    The surgeon was just moving the babys arm back into position in the womb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Stonewall Riots
    6a00d83451c83e69e200e550393c1a8834-800wi.jpg

Pripyat (city evacuated by chernobyl)
    734-760092.jpg
    pripyat-3.jpg
    pripyat.jpg

Might have been posted before, Bhopal Disaster
    bhopal.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Hope Eager Windfall

Make Womb For Baby

Just to follow that up.. I posted similar in this thread awhile back.

Here's a photo of my niece (Brianna R.I.P.) who underwent the procedure..

attachment.php?attachmentid=120662&stc=1&d=1279447036

Mod's I'd appreciate you leaving this up as its an update of an earlier post, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Make Womb For Baby

WombBaby.jpg

Amazing photo but leave it to the interwebs tubes to add drama.
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/thehand.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Caught in the oil ..

That is so sad. Broke my heart :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

michael_phelps.jpg Michael Phelps with his eight Olympic medals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

^^ I CAN SEE HIS.....

...medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Perfect timing...

whale_1682753c.jpg

Story here..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was almost totally convinced that the first pic looked shooped until i read the article and other pics that went with it.

the net has made me such a cynic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

not too sure how many of these images have been posted already so ill just leave the link, good summaries with the photos too..

http://www.pixcetera.com/blog/2009/12/25/the-decade-in-pictures/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Le_Mans_crash.jpg

As the race entered its third hour the cars were breaking records at every lap when Jaguar Driver Mike Hawthorn received a signal from his pit crew to stop for petrol. As he braked, an Austin-Healey swerved to avoid him. A few lengths behind, Levegh raised his hand, signalling another Mercedes to slow up. At 150 mph he had no chance to do so himself.

Hitting the Healey, the Mercedes took off like a rocket, struck the embankment beside the track, hurtled end over end and then disintegrated over the crowd. The hood decapitated tightly jammed spectators like a guillotine. The engine and front axle cut a swath like an artillery barrage. And the car's magnesium body burst into flames like a torch, burning others to death. In a few searing seconds 82 people were dead and 76 were maimed. Hawthorn, though unnerved, went on to win and set a new record. But few spectators had the enthusiasm to cheer.

Le_Mans_crash001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Has Phoebe Prince been mentioned yet? Irish teen that was bullied to death in an American High school. Such a waste of life.

phoebe-prince-arrests.jpg

Another tragedy, that may not have rocked the world, but definitely rocked Ireland (and breaks my heart and churns my stomach whenever I think about it) is the Bray love triangle murder-suicide that happened last year. Like a scene from a horror film, Shane Clancy (22) murdered his friend Sebastian Creane (22) and then comitted suicide after stabbing his ex, Jennifer Hannigan, & Sebastian's brother, Dylan Creane.

BrayStabbingAug2009PHOTOCALL.jpg

Seb Creane
    seb_creane017374_display.jpg

Shane Clancy
    543a0f13-c7d8-4926-_382881c.jpg
    He looks like a normal happy guy - makes you wonder how people can snap.

2508_sebfuneral_col_383870t.jpg
    I remember the mourners wore red converse to the Seb's funeral (can't find a picture of it though)

Have to mention the recent Donegal crash - worst collision in Irish history.

_48338708_crash7.jpg

Donegal-car-crash-006.jpg

i thought this thread was about photo's that shook the world...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

thebullkf wrote: »
    i thought this thread was about photo's that shook the world...???

Well it's not about pedantry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Sheeps wrote: »
    This is pretty graphic. Gun cam footage and the radio logs from an apache helicopter gunning down a group of gun men in Iraq, along with 2 reporters and about 12 innocent people. It was released as evidence in a case brought against the United States by the Reuters news agency for the unjustified killing of their reporters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0
    Disgusting and disgraceful!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nofaceboy

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

barnes_1009818c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

dh110.jpg

Sometimes things, purely odd, happen. However the disaster on September 6, 1952, prompted the introduction of stringent safety measures to protect spectators at air shows and no member of the public has been killed at a British air show since.

DH110_001.jpg

At the Farnborough Air Show in Hampshire on 6 September 1952, thousands of spectators watched as a De Havilland 110 aircraft broke the sound barrier and then disintegrated in the sky above them and fell to earth. The De Havilland 110 fighter had just broken the sound barrier when it broke up over the spectators, showering them with debris. Among the dead are the pilot, John Derry, and the flight test observer Anthony Richards. The two airmen had completed one fly-past in which they amazed 130, 000 spectators by breaking the sound barrier to produce a sonic boom.

The de Havilland 110 had just exceeded the speed of sound

"I was a 14-year-old boy in the crowd that watched the DH110 break up. I was some 50 yards from the perimeter fence by the runway and below the hill where the engine came down. I am certain that that day will remain in my memory until I die - the contrast of the excitement of seeing this futuristic aircraft streak overhead and then to watch it coming towards us and to see bits start to fly off and know that something was wrong. Then the engines came out and one whistled over our heads while the cockpit crashed just short of the fence in front of us. I wonder now if it was that British stoicsm which had been heightened during the war that allowed the show to continue about an hour later despite the carnage on the ground. My mother was almost hysterical on the drive home - the only time I saw her composure breakdown."
    - Graham Scott, USA

"I still have vivid memories of being in the crowd on one of the twin hills. We could see the engines coming towards us and we were looking down the fuselage. At the last minute one lifted over our heads and the other crashed into the crowds on our right. Those killed did not stand a chance as there was nowhere to run. The coach returning to Coventry with the Armstrong Siddeley apprentices had nine empty seats and the sister of a close friend was among those killed. I have never flown since nor attended any air show."
    - Sheila Williams, UK

The disaster prompted the introduction of stringent safety measures to protect spectators at air shows and no member of the public has been killed since at a British air show. Aerobatics displays are kept within a well-defined "box", to ensure an aircraft flying towards the crowd would still fall well short of the public in case of engine failure. Jets must stay at least 754 feet (230 meters) from the crowd if flying straight and 1,476 feet (450m) when doing manoeuvres and at least 492 feet (150m) above the ground.

DH110_002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Vietnam War.

remains.jpg

old_woman.jpg

water_torture.jpg

Water Torture.

crippled.jpg

Victim of Agent Orange.

http://www.travelersdigest.com/us_vietnam_war_atrocities.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DR Electrical

article-0-000ECDF100000258-796_468x534.jpg

He went on too to score.Great pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

smithwicks wrote: »
    The Marlboro Man
    long.jpg

A more apt pic for our generation maybe?
    marlboro_man.jpg

Keep them coming folks :)

That guy was used as an image of the modern day marine. Tired exausted etc after weeks of battle. However unfortunately on his return to America after serving his country he developed post traumatic stress and became an alcoholic.

I do not have any links to verify this, it came up in conversation with american friends on holiday two years ago[/QUOTE]

Great pic, I reckon he deserved that sneaky fag.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Senna's Crash.

SENNA-A94003.jpg

Edit: I know another pic of the event has been posted but this is the one that stuck in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Here's a couple that I'd argue are historically significant though I'm not sure whether could be defined as photos that "shook the world":

1. The Zodiac Killer wrote this on the car of one of his victims. Cecelia Shepard, age 22, was stabbed 10 times, five in the front and five in the back. Bryan Hartnell, age 20, was stabbed six times in the back but survived.
    The Zodiac Killer was a serial killer who operated in Northern California in the late 1960s. The Zodiac killer's identity remains unknown. The Zodiac killer coined the name "Zodiac" in a series of taunting letters sent to the local Bay Area press. These letters included four cryptograms (or ciphers), three of which have yet to be solved. The Zodiac murdered victims in Benicia, Vallejo, Lake Berryessa, and San Francisco between December 1968 and October 1969. Four men and three women, between the ages of 16 and 29, were targeted.

zodaicdoor.jpg
    zodiackiller.jpg

The Siege of Sidney Street, popularly known as the "Battle of Stepney", was a notorious gunfight in London's East End in 1911. It ended with the deaths of two members of a politically-motivated gang of burglars supposedly led by Peter Piatkow, a.k.a. "Peter the Painter", and sparked a major political row over the involvement of the Home Secretary, Winston Churchill.
    sidneystreetchurchill.jpg

Robert "Budd" Dwyer (November 21, 1939 – January 22, 1987) was an American politician from the state of Pennsylvania. On the morning of January 22, 1987, he committed suicide by shooting himself in the mouth with a revolver during a televised press conference at his office in Harrisburg, the state capital of Pennsylvania.
    rbudddwyer.jpg

Emmett Louis "Bobo" Till (July 25, 1941 – August 28, 1955) was an African American boy from Chicago, Illinois, who was murdered at the age of 14 in Money, Mississippi, a small town in the state's Delta region, after reportedly whistling at a white woman ... Till's mother insisted on a public funeral service, with an open casket so as to show the world the brutality of the killing:[2] Till had been beaten and an eye gouged out, before he was shot through the head and thrown into the Tallahatchie River with a 70-pound cotton gin fan tied around his neck with barbed wire.
    emmetttill6.jpg

The "Million Dollar Quartet" is the name given to recordings made on Tuesday December 4, 1956 in the Sun Record Studios in Memphis, Tennessee. The recordings were of an impromptu jam session among Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, and Johnny Cash.
    milliondollarquartet.jpg

safrica.gif]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

rfk-conspiracy-test.jpg?w=640&h=482

robert_kennedy_assassination_wide.jpg

Scum!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Scum!!!!!!

You are new to the site so I am going to give you a chance to explain that comment

We don't like referring to people as scum on this site and as it is a discussion site we expect people to give more than a one liner

You are new to the site so I am going to give you a chance to explain that comment

We don't like referring to people as scum on this site and as it is a discussion site we expect people to give more than a one liner

it was directed at one of the pics of the japanese killin dolphins...sea was red with blood

TechnoPool wrote: »
    i know its horrible and all how its being done, but we kill,catch and eat plenty of other animals, fish ect .
    this pic...
    so relax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

877555-the-cove.jpg

Tens of thousands of dolphins are killed each year in a sea side town called Taiji in Japan. Some of the captured dolphins are being sold off to water world type parks to do dolphin displays around the world, the rest (including the baby dolphins) are slaughtered infront of each other for their meat, which is being put into school childrens compulsory canteen food.

Advertisement