Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishejit

ennisk.jpg_38139868_enniskillen300.jpgHumphreys__Enniskil__25344s.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Child soldiers

amnesty-kids-soccer.jpg

...playing football with a skull

amnesty-kids-hanging.jpg

child_soldier_congo.jpg?w=215&h=194

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

the first two look fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Now that I look at them again you could be right, it might be Amnesty using the images to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Pillars20of20Creation.jpg

M16: Pillars of Creation

Link
    Explanation: It has become one of the most famous images of modern times. This image, taken with the Hubble Space Telescope in 1995, shows evaporating gaseous globules (EGGs) emerging from pillars of molecular hydrogen gas and dust. The giant pillars are light years in length and are so dense that interior gas contracts gravitationally to form stars. At each pillars' end, the intense radiation of bright young stars causes low density material to boil away, leaving stellar nurseries of dense EGGs exposed. The Eagle Nebula, associated with the open star cluster M16, lies about 7000 light years away. The pillars of creation were again imaged by the orbiting Chandra X-ray Observatory, and it was found that most EGGS are not strong emitters of X-rays.
    And from Wikipedia
    In early 2007, scientists using the Spitzer discovered evidence that potentially indicates the Pillars were destroyed by a nearby supernova explosion about 6,000 years ago, but the light showing the new shape of the nebula will not reach Earth for another millennium.
    That quote just blows my mind.

Bigger Pic

Those little 'blobs' you see are about the same size as our solar system.

87478833.png

Just to give you an idea, Voyager 1 launched 32 years ago, who's radio signals take 31 hours to reach us is only now nearing the edge of our solar system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

I had so much to do tonight but came across this thread. Some actual epic stories in these pages; Some of the pics were taken by me in Cambodia in 05 so while they may not have shaped the world the stories behind them did.

A couple of sporting ones 1st

Cant find the one i wanted but there is a great one of POC in a lineout V england in the 1st croker game
    ireland_england.jpg
    The Saint wrote: »
    Pol Pot after dying of natural causes a free man (albeit on the run), a fate that wasn't affored to his countless victims.
    The Cambodia story is horrible. Picture of the memorial with all the skulls in the Killing Fields, taken by myself;
    80491363027b3cc3c1c1d0c6574a82737291dbd966bc0fcd81ee611973e5cf3c574f1484.jpg913275999be629c7a4c052130768bce910380b8f3cba7f7d62b873c2b9a536d525a5bdc6.jpg

Cambodia is awash with land mines; A man Aki Ra runs a land mine museum and as any children in Cambodia who cannot work are a burden on families Aki Ra has taken in and educates a number of these;
    Here in an image from 05, One of these victims of land mines is playing boules with disarmed hand grenades
    1730259326af35621efca9b83bf857a8ae1f9e3c59034ce73d6aed3c227e01c1e583ed80.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

The live televised death of the greatest racing driver ever

crashbig.jpg
    xgxmkiiklf.jpg
    senna-mort2.jpg
    picf2-3.jpg
    369.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭deisedude

This is a photograph taken early in the school siege at Columbine

2000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sorry to doublepost but this is a very striking image of the American flag being used as a weapon of hate

artwork_images_424079904_281565_stanleyj-forman.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Do you have any links handy to the story behind the pic?
    This page here shows the after pic

BopExecution.jpg

The police man who shot them was later cleared at the s.african pardons commission.

This page here has stacks more war ones - some quite hairy.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?37661-The-Face-of-War/page9

There are many pictures of Anc vs inkhata there too including this lovely one

ManBurning.jpg

Also (I think) links off to the so called 'bang bang club' at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

A more recent one.. Not sure if its been posted ive went back a good few pages and haven't noticed it.

car-crash-dutch-queen-pic-getty-543630228.jpg

on a lighter note:

post_thanks.gif <---- The birth of "thanks" whores

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

Whats the story of the 5 year old pregnant girl above ^?
    Is that even possible? :eek:

see link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lina_Medina its seems she is still alive today but her son died - shocking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

willy-brandt-kniefall-warschauer-ghetto-jpg.jpeg

Willy Brandt at the Warsaw Ghetto memorial 1970. Paved the way for a gradual thaw in east-west relations amongst europeans at least. Significant for us put the picture is iconic in many ways for so many people in Germany, Poland and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

This is pretty graphic. Gun cam footage and the radio logs from an apache helicopter gunning down a group of gun men in Iraq, along with 2 reporters and about 12 innocent people. It was released as evidence in a case brought against the United States by the Reuters news agency for the unjustified killing of their reporters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

Vanunu3.jpg

Mordechai Vanunu, the nuclear scientist who exposed Israels nuclear programme, his kidnapping in a honey trap has all the elements of a James Bond story. He wrote details of the kidnapping on his palm for photographers.

1411_artane1981_l_231466t.jpg

Stardust 14.02.1981.

Shook this country to its core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I haven't been able to verify this but if it's real it's really something

82099_bikegrowsintree.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

A Kyrgyz opposition supporter checks the body of a dead man on the street, killed during an anti-government protest in Bishkek on April 7, 2010. (TODAY)

k30_22916393.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

icelandVolcanoAsh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

This photo always upsets me. It makes me think of how a young american with a mother and father who loved him was drafted and due to world events and twists of fate died on a beach in Northern France. (Omaha)

Just thinking about the events of Overlord always makes me well up and we should be thankful that they gave their lives to defeat evil.

american-soldier-on-omaha-beach-6-june-1944.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ukraine Air Show disaster back in 2002 where 78 people were killed when a jet fighter came down too low and ploughed into the crowd.

7910739.jpg
    eject.jpg
    3144-758138.jpg

Nothing but limbs and goo was scattered across the runway. There's a video on the web showing the jet chop through the crowd at an incredible speed plus the immediate aftermath with the remains of victims everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

not sure if its been posted

heisler-17.jpg

The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of "Cat," and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

hair-peace.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Ukraine Air Show disaster back in 2002 where 78 people were killed when a jet fighter came down too low and ploughed into the crowd.

Nothing but limbs and goo was scattered across the runway. There's a video on the web showing the jet chop through the crowd at an incredible speed plus the immediate aftermath with the remains of victims everywhere.

The video to this is one of the most gruesome things I have ever seen....utter carnage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

newbie2 wrote: »
    ok one more then i'm going to bed

streaker.jpg?w=500&h=409
    Have you notice how much this photo looks like one of the Passion Paintings in the Cisteen Chapel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

The volcano in Iceland.

e35_00009724.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I have learnt more from this thread than I have in 6 years of history classes.

Sheer awesomeness from the first post.

It's a pity, I think pretty much everything has already been posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

youtube_logo.jpg

5 years old today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

download.blog?fhandle=YmxvZzIyNzA2QGZzNC50aXN0b3J5LmNvbTovYXR0YWNoLzEvMTU3LmpwZw%3D%3D

This is seemingly the most expensive photograph in the world. I think it ticks the shocking box alright - 1) for crazy money for it, & 2) shows the uniformity of the Wal Mart culture... Pretty damn scary to be honest...

Andreas Gursky: 99 Cent II Diptychon 2001 $3,346,456 Sotheby’s 2007

The sale of this colorful work was a milestone at auction, not only the most expensive photography ever sold, but tripled the auction record for a contemporary photo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_photographs

Advertisement