Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Government recommended to toll National Roads & more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Then it becomes an "ownership" tax :)
    Then the cost should have no relation to engine size, power output, Co2 emissions, age etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

That is a joke.

well you know what we should all do.

sell our cars and do what they do in copenhagen cycle too work and bring there kids too school in there bikes.

I tell you if we all did that the government would have a emergency meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

That is a joke.

sell our cars and do what they do in copenhagen cycle too work and bring there kids too school in there bikes.

Not much use if you commute 30 miles into Dublin to work...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Then they'd introduce a pedal tax, BRT and put a tax on calories.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That is a joke.

Right....... so I live in Mayo and work in Dublin..... ;)

There has been a big improvement down here in cycle lanes and that, Castlebar is pants in fairness, but IF they did have cycle lanes between towns you would see more people leaving the cars at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Cionád wrote: »
    Then they'd introduce a pedal tax, BRT and put a tax on calories.
    Of that I have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

if there gona get rid of 'off the road exemption' then they should introduce a single fee like they do in england for any car no matter engine size ect ect...

im officially moving out of this country now, sick of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Will this increase the costs for businesses by any chance?

I'm not sure how tolls work having never paid one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Fianna Fail and the Greens, they're such tyrants we'd probably be better off having the Tans back.

Too true! it is a (soft) tyranny that we find ourselves in. Democracy is a myth. Well, tyrants usually fall in a revolution. I'd say Ireland is just about on the tipping point. How much more sh1te are people going to take from that scum in Leinster Hse before they rise up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

im officially moving out of this country now, sick of it!!

+1

I had the exact same thought when I read the article. This one has really wound me. I'll take medicine for the hard times we're in but I wont take it up the @rse from this lot. Idiots busted the country and now thesame idiots are busting us trying to sort their f*^k up. They caused the sh!t so let them fall on their swords. No , it doesnt happen , well they can stick it right up their hol3s if they think they're getting a years road tax of me for a car I drive 4 weeks of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

True. Back in the area I grew up they tried to blow up and knock a mobile phone mast a few years back, the locals were protesting against it. Imagine what would happen to a toll booth there!

Donegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Can we rename the thread as it is totally misleading?Nothing has been approved by anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

This is the usual smoke and daggers/ doomsday scenario the gov. puts out to butter people up for the cuts in the next budget.

Nothing to worry about here, none of this will come to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

It has just been pointed out to me by a friend ( dont know his exact source) that its illegal to toll roads that have already been built , you can onlt toll new roads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭robdsherlock

[QUOTE=Saab Ed;67076482 well they can stick it right up their hol3s if they think they're getting a years road tax of me for a car I drive 4 weeks of the year.[/QUOTE]

+1

maybe two months most in the year my other car comes out and no way am i going to be paying over 600e a year for two months driving, i was even going to garage it altogether and restore/rebuild the car over a few years and maybe 5-6 years down the road have a decent car for the summer months, what would happen there when its parked up for a few years?? i dont know but i do know i wont be paying tax for it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Only a shower of civil servants and a "consultant" could dream up a scheme to tax the N roads. These guys really need a dose of reality.

What annoys me more is when they are confronted regarding the idea, they back downand say "well it's only an idea"

Stop wasting our effing time with stupid ideas and come up with some decent ones!

It never ceases to amaze me how it's always a simple shuffling of the deck chairs instead of looking for proper cuts. They always fall back to the default position - raise more taxes.

If they were serious about improving productivity and carrying out reform, they'd reward people who pay their motor tax online, e.g. a 5% or €10 discount. Instead, they penalize you more for using a facility you've already paid for! The government should privatise these departments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

ashleey wrote: »
    Donegal?

Nope, the good old wilds of North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Was it only yesterday our great leaders told us tourist numbers from the UK were down by 1,000,000? Ok says Gormless, let's bring in a road toll to keep out the rest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

I knew we would regret leaving the Union!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Could the thread title be changed ? The government have approved nothing, they're just recommendations put forward to the government.

Thread title updated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Cionád wrote: »
    # Chairperson
    Mr. Pat McLoughlin, Business Consultant
    # Membership
    Professor John O'Hagan, Department of Economics, Trinity College
    Mr. Ian Talbot, Chief Executive, Chambers Ireland
    Ms. Geraldine Tallon, Secretary General, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government
    Mr. Donal McNally, Second Secretary General, Department of Finance
    Mr. John Quinlivan, Former County Manager

I don't know who they are but they sound like a right bunch of arseholes to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That crowds annual income is probably over 100,000 each, what we get for our money eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The green party are simply anti-motorist.

This is a group put together by gormley, to create a report for him, which he has peopled with at least one of his subordinates (and more than likely hand picked candidates who agree with him) and they then reach conclusions which are in pursuit of a green party anti-motorist agenda :

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0723/breaking2.html
    The group has also recommended that tolling charges be extended from motorways to national roads. It has argued this would be consistent with Government policy on the environment by incentivising road users to use other transport.
    The report has also suggested that a handling fee be introduced for processing motor tax payments that are made in person or by post rather than online. This, the report concluded, would recognise the much higher staff costs of manual processing.

It has also called for an end to the “off-the-road” facility in respect of motor tax, which allows car owners to self-declare vehicles as not in use.

Basically they are trying to price more economically challenged people off the roads, they make it too expensive to keep the car on the road, then too expensive to own one while it's off the road.

Scary to think the green party currently have approx 2 to 3% popular support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Morlar wrote: »
    Scary to think the green party currently have approx 2 to 3% popular support.

Even scarier to think that a party with 2 -3% support get to dictate transport policy

Gormley thinks everyone in the country lives on the 46A bus route....he is simply a clown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Re Mr. Pat mcloughlin , Buisness consutant

this was was a former CEO of the HSE. There were a 11 of these CEO's at the time who got very nice lumpsums when they made them all redundent.

Now give our healthservice has been in sh!te order since ad infinitum I dont think anybody present or former associated with the role of CEO in the health board could even call themselves Buisness consutant.

The fact that he is even recommended here http://www.greenparty.ie/en/news/latest_news/green_party_leader_addresses_dail_on_budget_2010 by gormless gives us an idea as to how useless he is!!

Shame auld crap!!! get one of your cronies to do a report saying exactly what you want!!!

The report was compiled by the "Local Government Efficiency Review Group." A name like that would make me think that they were going to review the efficiency of local government or something similar. How the placing of tolls on national roads even came under their scope is beyond me.
    The group is informally called An Bord Snip Eile and is chaired by Pat McLoughlin, the former Health Service Executive (HSE) deputy chief executive
    Ah yes, someone from the HSE, that well known model of excellence and efficiency. Good choice.

The report has also suggested that a handling fee be introduced for processing motor tax payments that are made in person or by post rather than online. This, the report concluded, would recognise the much higher staff costs of manual processing.

Perhaps this is something that a group tasked with reviewing efficiency could look at? No, we'll just ask people to pay for the service twice instead.

The report is over 200 pages. The roads bit starts on page 118.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

furtzy wrote: »
    Even scarier to think that a party with 2 -3% support get to dictate transport policy

When you think that the 97-98% that don't support them don't get a say... :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

steve06 wrote: »
    When you think that the 97-98% that don't support them don't get a say... :mad::mad::mad:

welcome to our republic

some 42% I think voted FF and around 3% Green

so therefore 55% (i.e. the majority ) of voters did not support our current government...such is life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

From an Irish Independent article:
    The proposal is one of several reforms of local authorities estimated to save the taxpayer more than 500 million euro.

Okay, sounds like a good idea. Saving the taxpayer money. Count me in.
    new tolling schemes on national roads; hiking planning fees; removing the "off-the-road" facility allowing car owners to self-declare vehicles as not in use; increasing a ten-year driving licence fee from 25 euro to 40 euro, and a replacement from 15 euro to 30 euro.

Eh, now I as a taxpayer have to pay more money? What's going on?
    Mr Gormley said the recommendations would help authorities operate in a more cost-effective way, thereby helping economic recovery.

Please explain how being handed more money for the same half-arsed job makes you more cost-effective.

Advertisement