Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Government recommended to toll National Roads & more

Options
  • 23-07-2010 9:37am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well this should go down well.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0723/breaking2.html
    "The merging of local authority management, an extension of toll charges to national roads and extra levies on those who do not pay their motor tax online are among a series of proposals aimed at saving over €500 million in the State’s 34 local authorities."

Looks like they are also doing away with the "off the road" exemption for Motor Tax. So unless it's scrapped, you pay Tax on it whether it's driven or not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Well, I may as well be first to say it but that's bullsh!t!

Do they want to drive people off the National roads and onto the terrible regional roads?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If they approve this i'm going to truck bomb the Dail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hilarious. How are they going to achieve such without issuing a sort of "N-Road" pass charged annually? The reason you can toll motorways is cos the tolls are hard to avoid and doing so negates some of the advantages of using said road, with N roads dodging would be quite easy for car users certainly. Where would this leave locals who use the nearest N road for access to the chruch on Sunday for example? Won't someone think of the God fearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Christ next thing people will be paying tolls for walking on the bloody footpaths!

The group has also recommended that tolling charges be extended from motorways to national roads. It has argued this would be consistent with Government policy on the environment by incentivising road users to use other transport. It would also allow a stream of revenue for local councils to invest in local roads.

Other transport? Our public transport infrastructure is crap! Looks like the Greens still have clout! :mad:
    While the group has said the distribution of the tolling booths should be equitable, placing them on national roads as well as motorways would be seen as controversial and politically unpopular.

No sh*t Sherlock.

• Advertisement

I'd say some booths in certain counties would last a weekend before "elements" blew them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mr O'Loughlin said the new tolls ...could prove to be good for the environment.

Now I've heard it all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

who comes up with this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Do they want to drive people off the National roads and onto the terrible regional roads?

Not to mention paying for terrible National roads, the N5 through Roscommon would be a joke to pay for!

I can't see it ever happening, rural TD's will see this as suicide.

who comes up with this sort of thing?

# Chairperson
    Mr. Pat McLoughlin, Business Consultant
    # Membership
    Professor John O'Hagan, Department of Economics, Trinity College
    Mr. Ian Talbot, Chief Executive, Chambers Ireland
    Ms. Geraldine Tallon, Secretary General, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government
    Mr. Donal McNally, Second Secretary General, Department of Finance
    Mr. John Quinlivan, Former County Manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

You've just got to love this country. A group are tasked with finding savings of €500m and instead of actually doing that, they say just tax more roads.:rolleyes:

mike65 wrote: »
    I'd say some booths in certain counties would last a weekend before "elements" blew them up.

True. Back in the area I grew up they tried to blow up and knock a mobile phone mast a few years back, the locals were protesting against it. Imagine what would happen to a toll booth there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

These are all just proposals from some new committee - they even said that tolling national roads was just an idea and they have no idea if or how it would be implemented.

They also mentioned charging ppl a "handling" charge if you dont renew your motor tax online - which is ridiculous.

Fianna Fail and the Greens, they're such tyrants we'd probably be better off having the Tans back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Hard to see the point in here, now tolling works quite ok.

If you want to save time, you take the motorway and pay and if you don´t want to pay, then there are N-roads.

Paying toll for National road sounds utterly crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Surely they couldn't toll roads that have been paid for out of tax payers money or worse paid for by EU grants

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What's more hilarious is that they're going to charge people more money for being good citizens and paying their tax if they don't know how to use a computer and go online to do it.

Hi, I'm the Government, and you're a motorist. Bend over, spread your cheeks because I'm going to rape you. Repeatedly.

Calming down now slightly I'm thinking won't this, if it is introduced, probably increase road deaths?

People will use regional roads over national roads. These have 80 km/h limits but people will try and make their journeys in the same time and do 100 km/h + on these roads. And obviously a lot of these roads are terrible, pot-holed, bendy.

Would love to hear the RSA response to this, which will probably be nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The reason why we pay for motorways (and the M50 bridge) is because they were built under private-public partnership and the private investors want their money back (and then some).

N-roads have already been paid for ...by the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

This wont happen

In all these 'reports' there is always one or two items simply designed to cause uproar so when they dont implement them we are relieved and happy with the Government.....see recent 'rumours' about property tax and water charges

on radio this morning the chair of group was asked if it was actually legal to toll existing roads....he had no idea and just muttered soemthing about 'giving a menu of options to Government'.......where have I heard that phrase before?.....oh yes An Bord Snip Nua......

You've just got to love this country. A group are tasked with finding savings of €500m and instead of actually doing that, they say just tax more roads.

tbf they have identified a long list of other significant options which are badly needed including reorganisation of staffing within local authorites etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, there's no way they can go ahead with tolling national roads. Not within this Government's lifetime at least. Freight transportation would be crippled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Could the thread title be changed ? The government have approved nothing, they're just recommendations put forward to the government. And if they were to try implement it, they'd run into a lot of legal hassle because of existing right of ways etc.

Less of the tabloid sensationalist type of reporting.

Talking aboput the right now on RTE, a flaw has already been pointed out - you have to have a non-tolled alternative to a Motorway. Conor Faulknan notes that a penny/cent on fuel would achieve same.

May as well get the knives out to prevent this happening.

I sent an email to AA Ireland stating that this could result in more road deaths if introduced (due to people using regional roads over tolled national roads) and sent them a link to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Looks like the recession ain't over by a long chalk! This is all part of the present Fianna Fail and Green PR machine. They've been doing this for quite a while, throw out these ideas and if nobody complains then fine. If there's uproar then they row back a bit to look like the good guys. I'm beginning to think the politicians think we are as stupid as they are! :cool:

I cant help wondering how much the local authorities would save by abolishing the town councils with paid mayors, councillors, expense accounts et al?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

After reading this I had to check to make sure it wasn't the 1st of April.

Crazy crazy stuff to be coming out with.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Some of these "Experts" really are laughable. The idiot from the NRA was talking a couple of years ago about tolling the Jack Lynch Tunnel......until it was pointed out to him that it was majority funded by the EU, when he eventually shut up about it. Same rules will apply to National roads.....any of them funded with EU money cannot be charged for.

Jackie Healey Ray giving out about the proposal, he's good for something! :)

edit - actually Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

whiterebel wrote: »
    Some of these "Experts" really are laughable. The idiot from the NRA was talking a couple of years ago about tolling the Jack Lynch Tunnel......until it was pointed out to him that it was majority funded by the EU, when he eventually shut up about it. Same rules will apply to National roads.....any of them funded with EU money cannot be charged for.

They discovered that in Watergrasshill when the M8 toll was introduced and extended to part of the road provided under EU funds. An alternative (non-tolled) route had to be provided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Their toll proposal is bull****, mainly for the reason that peasant has mentioned above.

Now the extra levy for not paying tax online I don't understand. A private company, for example Vodafone or UPC, may charge a small levy if not paying by direct debit to cover the admin required in processing other types of payments. However, the people behind the desks in the Motor office are already paid for by you. And if you charge a second time for the privilege, there'll have to be some job losses in said office.

Maybe some of the money saved could be used to buy John Gormley a spine?

As for councils, I see a saving to be made straight away.
    While no reduction in number is envisaged for the 29 county councils and the five city councils, the group recommends far-reaching changes in organisational structures.

Anyone know why we have 29 county councils to cover 26 counties?

Advertisement