Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Government recommended to toll National Roads & more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭ChuckNorrisgod

pedal tax thats is the best ever your are very funny have too say
    Cionád wrote: »
    Then they'd introduce a pedal tax, BRT and put a tax on calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Hmm.

Im only getting online now and cant be assed reading all the replies. Sorry. :D

So, I will just make my point.

How can you Toll lets say the N20 between Cork and Limerick at, lets say newtwopothouse, because I will just leave limerick on the Kilmallock road and head to Mallow the back way and rejoin there. It is the exact same driving time if you dont get caught behind anybody.

Also you could avoid the N7 plazas at many many many many regional roads turn offs OR are they going to block off regional roads access 5kms before and after to catch us.

BTW FVCK OFF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

OK, Charge tolls to use roads. If you disband Motortax, VRT, Insurance Levies and reduce Fuel Duties. You can have your cake and eat it, Paddy!

Also how do they expect the few working people still left to get to work! Oh it was alright to back the inflated prices of homes to sore in the last ten years. Forcing people to buy homes 80km from work in many cases.
    These proposed taxes are purely Penal. State Sponsored Highway robbery.
    I think its time to leave this sinking ship!

jock101 wrote: »
    I think its time to leave this sinking ship!

I had already told myself today that I would likely, and not be alone, pull up to the toll booth and wait until I was let go through for free.

This spits in the face like Clare Co Co whom started charging to park in a car park in Kilkee when they had not done any work on the car park since the 1970's other than put up a height barrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Enough is Enough, we need to start from the beginning again, rip up the rule book and re-define everything to make life equal for everyone.

At the moment, the taxpayer is being riden everyday, banks are lying (what's new), Greens are a Dublin based party who don't give two fcuks about rural life and now this.

What planet are these people living on? It's now true that they don't understand the hardship that majority of the people of this country are going through and now they want to take more money. Remember that Cowen said that taxes won't rise so where is the money going to come from. Cuts to everyday services is not going to do it so let's tax the fcukin motorists sure the transport is crap so they have no choice but to drive, easy pickings.

Lovely Jubbly as Delboy said

• Advertisement

Well its a DelBoy Country, Producing PaddyWhackery since 1922!:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

It's never going to happen. But it goes to show once again the great minds of your leaders who just want to rape the ordinary person trying to get to work to pay their bills.

Some brightspark in the So calledrolleyes.gif Government, had the idea of forcing you to pay motortax even if you have the car off the road on your private property. What do you think of this State gangster extortionism. Will you submit and pay such tribute to your Lords and Masters!biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Another question would be, what would define a car not in use on the road, engine, no engine, in running condition? What about restoration projects or kit cars, also some people have a scrap copy of their car to scavenge parts ect.. from, you know recycling like they would want.

jock101 wrote: »
    Some brightspark in the So calledrolleyes.gif Government, had the idea of forcing you to pay motortax even if you have the car off the road on your private property. What do you think of this State gangster extortionism. Will you submit and pay such tribute to your Lords and Masters!biggrin.gif
    conneem-TT wrote: »
    Another question would be, what would define a car not in use on the road, engine, no engine, in running condition? What about restoration projects or kit cars, also some people have a scrap copy of their car to scavenge parts ect.. from.

Go to Dublin Airport and look at the Tarmac Vehicles. 99% UK Vehicles. Only Irish regs I saw were the two 8 Series D reg Exec vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

dickgormley.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

QUOTE:
    It has also called for an end to the “off-the-road” facility in respect of motor tax, which allows car owners to self-declare vehicles as not in use.

Is this like SORN in the UK or a tax on off the road cars? Time to re-register my garaged cars to my 2 year old son! They can't fine or jail him..... Right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

I do not mind to have to have to pay the entire year for my car tax, if they seriously drop the rates...
    My tax is 1566 so sometimes I can't afford the all year, so I just pay 3 or 6 months, if they want more money and more frequentely, they have to make this more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Cionád wrote: »
    # Chairperson
    Mr. Pat McLoughlin, Business Consultant
    # Membership
    Professor John O'Hagan, Department of Economics, Trinity College
    Mr. Ian Talbot, Chief Executive, Chambers Ireland
    Ms. Geraldine Tallon, Secretary General, Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government
    Mr. Donal McNally, Second Secretary General, Department of Finance
    Mr. John Quinlivan, Former County Manager

How much have we paid this lot in fees and expenses to come up with these ludicrous suggestions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

furtzy wrote: »
    Even scarier to think that a party with 2 -3% support get to dictate transport policy

Gormley thinks everyone in the country lives on the 46A bus route....he is simply a clown

I wouldn't say Gormless is a clown.
    I WOULD say that he's a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh*t!
    And a cnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Berty wrote: »

How can you Toll lets say the N20 between Cork and Limerick at, lets say newtwopothouse, because I will just leave limerick on the Kilmallock road and head to Mallow the back way and rejoin there. It is the exact same driving time if you dont get caught behind anybody.

And the same applies to every N road in the country, so the "brains trust" that came up with this will prompt people to hit the B roads, boreens and lanes to avoid the tolling points and thus said roads will be jammed, dangerous and destroyed (even more than they already are). Meanwhile every N road will need a toll infrastucture errecting, and maintaining 24 hours a day and it's pretty quiet at nights these days esp if commerical traffic were given a "free", after all the government doesn't want to jack up trading costs does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

What bloody fools voted in the Green Party during the last General Election anyway? From what I can see, everything Gormley has touched so far he's destroyed and just gives off the vibe of being an arrogant prick in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

VolvoMan wrote: »
    What bloody fools voted in the Green Party during the last General Election anyway? From what I can see, everything Gormley has touched so far he's destroyed and just gives off the vibe of being an arrogant prick in general.

Don't forget that El Duce himself Bertie Ahern never told the electorate before the last election that he would go into coalition with the Yellows , sorry Greens, if he had then the result might have been a little different. He dragged in a bunch of extremist tree huggers and gave them top jobs without any previous experience or qualifications. No wonder Ireland Inc is in the gutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

I WOULD say that he's a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh*t!
    And a cnut.

:D well yeah thats what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

And a cnut.

So are you hinting at the fact you won't vote Green?
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

mike65 wrote: »
    Hilarious. How are they going to achieve such without issuing a sort of "N-Road" pass charged annually? The reason you can toll motorways is cos the tolls are hard to avoid and doing so negates some of the advantages of using said road, with N roads dodging would be quite easy for car users certainly. Where would this leave locals who use the nearest N road for access to the church on Sunday for example? Won't someone think of the God fearing?

fook religion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

gormless.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Abolish motor tax and toll the roads and fuel instead.

I know many people won't agree with me but I think road charging should be based on usage. I'd be happy enough to have motorways tolled if motor tax were abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

At least you can buy a tax free bicycle......

Or you can get pretend "broadband" if you live in rural areas....

Levy on fossil fuels....

Block on incinerator right next to where most of the country's rubbish is generated that would have allowed Ireland avoid fines

These Greens are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

And a cnut.

That is almost accurate, however a tad on the complementary side.

From Irish Times
    By contrast, extra revenue identified under the “roads” heading amounts to a modest €10 million, which suggests that tolling booths on national roads will be placed few and far between, if they are ever given the go-ahead. In any instance, the group clearly identifies that revenue-raising measure as a mediu-m to long-term goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If they stopped wasting money on "consultants", they'd save €10m .... at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Abolish motor tax and toll the roads and fuel instead.

I know many people won't agree with me but I think road charging should be based on usage. I'd be happy enough to have motorways tolled if motor tax were abolished.

But what if you live right next to the toll and have to go through it everyday and then the opposite happens to someone else

Toll roads and fuel, one or the other and not the former actually.

• Advertisement

It looks like these penal movement control taxes are being forced through by Gormless, including a congestion charge coming on its heels soon for Cities. I pity poor country paddy, having to pay everytime he wants to drive to his local town!

Advertisement