Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Government recommended to toll National Roads & more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Anyone know why we have 29 county councils to cover 26 counties?

DLRCoCo
    Fingal
    south Dublin CoCo

I'm sure there are another few spare ones around, split in Cork maybe?

there should simply be 4 local authorities.
    Ulster
    Munster
    Leinster
    Connaght

And additional ones for the 5 main cities. They are just needless and expensive duplication to have so many. I'm sure that would go along way towards the 500m savings...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

However, the people behind the desks in the Motor office are already paid for by you. And if you charge a second time for the privilege, there'll have to be some job losses in said office.

I think that's the idea, the more people that use online, the less people needed sat in the office
    As for councils, I see a saving to be made straight away.

34 councils overseeing it really

I find it interesting that they are recommending chnages to the administrative structures but not the political ones, god forbid there would be less councillors around!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

AA Ireland,

Undoubtedly you have heard this morning about the governments plans to toll our National Road system.

I'm thinking won't this, if it is introduced, probably increase road deaths?

People will the use regional roads over national roads. These have 80 km/h limits but people will try and make their journeys in the same time and do 100 km/h + on these roads. And obviously a lot of these roads are terrible, pot-holed, bendy.

Would love to hear the RSA response to this, which will probably be nothing at all.

There is a discussion started now on Boards.ie discussing this issue which may provide some good insight to the publics opinion on this shambles.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977697

Regards,
    XXX XXX.

Dear XXX–

Thanks for your email. I have to say this is an absolutely ridiculous idea. The notion of peppering the N-road network with tolls is absolutely ridiculous. I can’t say it strongly enough.

Even if we accept that they want to raise more money from motorists (which is the only purpose here) there are much more efficient ways of doing so. An extra cent per litre on petrol and diesel would raise more money for the exchequer than tolling the N-roads.

Your road safety point is also valid, and strengthens the case against this ridiculous idea.

The AA takes the view that this proposal has to be stopped in its tracks, immediately, and we are going to work very hard with the support of Irish motorists to do just that.

Regards,

Conor Faughnan

Director of Policy

Just got this from Conor Faughnan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Apart from the 3 dublin counties, there is North and South Tipperary CC - not sure why

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I'm sure there are another few spare ones around, split in Cork maybe?

its Tipperary bizzarely...Tipp North and South

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

mike65 wrote: »
    Talking aboput the right now on RTE, a flaw has already been pointed out - you have to have a non-tolled alternative to a Motorway. Conor Faulknan notes that a penny/cent on fuel would achieve same.
    I've said it before. It's a much simpler way of collecting taxes and with a bit of intelligence behind it would make little or no difference to peoples day to day expenses.
    Of course, it would have to go hand in hand with the removal of those tax discs that people apparently have problems paying for.
    It also cuts out the whole CO2 nonsense.
    Then the user WILL pay, no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

Sorry being devil advocate here, Country has high percentage of Beemers per capita(according to German ambassdor to Ireland, surely they are not cheaper), second high percentage of Gaming gadgets per capita, i heard from other threads people are waiting to hold their hands on new shiny Apple iPads, even few people dont want be frnd unless you have i<somegadget> so why this whining and moaning for pesky few toll charges?

MySelf56 wrote: »
    Sorry being devil advocate here, Country has high percentage of Beemers per capita(according to German ambassdor to Ireland, surely they are not cheaper), second high percentage of Gaming gadgets per capita, i heard from other threads people are waiting to hold their hands on new shiny Apple iPads, even few people dont want be frnd unless you have i<somegadget> so why this whining and moaning for pesky few toll charges?

because they are a ****ing stupid way to collect tax. just have the balls to tack 3-4% onto income tax and job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

w@nkers!

I don't want to even think about how this government is going to feck us all over... might just emigrate

Luxury purchases are easily avoided, nationwide N-road toll charges are not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I reckon this will be a dead proposal by tea-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dpmurray

Its not moaning over a pesky few toll charges.. its that point that its just another way for councils/government to rip off the general public.

Tolling for motorways / national routes is fair enough, but the quality of most national routes are a disgrace by international standards. Plus why the hell do people have to pay such high car taxes and now be expected to pay for poor quality roads.

As everyone else is saying... it'll be a disgrace if this goes through.

just have the balls to tack 3-4% onto income tax and job done.

They did already hiked taxes, "Income feking levy" does ring any bells. I am against the idea taxing way out of recesssion. Hiking 1 cent exchequer will have domino effect on goods transportation charges as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

How can you justify being charged a tax because for example you decide to save your money for something nice rather than spending 50 euro a week p*ssing it up against a wall or leaving it behind in an ashtray ect..

It seems you have a begruding attitude first and foremost.

This proposal blantantly targets a certain demographic without any good reason. People have no option but to use the road network to get to work ect.., we already pay a road tax and these roads were built with public money, so it is totally unjustified other than fill the coffers.

They did already hiked taxes, "Income feking levy" does ring any bells. I am against the idea taxing way out of recesssion. Hiking 1 cent exchequer will have domino effect on goods transportation charges as well.

we still have one of the lowest tax rates in the EU and one of the narrowest tax bands, so much of the workforce is outside the tax net. Income tax needs to be higher. I don't want it to be and I'm sure most others don't either but from a large scale view it should be done.

Anyway this isn't a conversation for motors so I'l say no more on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Cionád wrote: »
    Apart from the 3 dublin counties, there is North and South Tipperary CC - not sure why
    I've heard that it was because of a war between Tipperary North and Tipperary South in the fifties. The USSR provides weapons and other support to the north and the UN assisted the south. The county remained split after the conflict, South Tipperary remained democratic whereas the North has been ruled by an immovable madman. There are rumours that the North have nukes, but this has yet to be confirmed.

conneem-TT wrote: »
    How can you justify being charged a tax because for example you decide to save your money for something nice rather than spending 50 euro a week p*ssing it up against a wall or leaving it behind in an ashtray ect..

It seems you have a begruding attitude first and foremost.

This proposal blantantly targets a certain demographic without any good reason. People have no option but to use the road network to get to work ect.., we already pay a road tax and these roads were built with public money, so it is totally unjustified other than fill the coffers.

let me get this stright I am like any other person here depends upon car for work or social. But as i said i am just being devil advocate here, if think its begruding so be it, i dont give fly..

I've heard that it was because of a war between Tipperary North and Tipperary South in the fifties. The USSR provides weapons and other support to the north and the UN assisted the south. The county remained split after the conflict, South Tipperary remained democratic whereas the North has been ruled by an immovable madman. There are rumours that the North have nukes, but this has yet to be confirmed.

:pac::pac::pac:
    ****ing genious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This sounds like the typical green party 'penalise financially' approach.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0723/economy.html

A Government commissioned report has recommended the introduction of tolls on national roads, an increase in the price of driving licences and a significant reduction in senior management in local authorities.

The Independent Local Government Efficiency Review Group has made a series of cost-saving and revenue-raising proposals, which would save more than €500m.

The report published this morning by Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government John Gormley

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Oh toll the N roads! What a plan! It's so off-the-wall that a separate working group was concieved to spawn it, doubtless so the Dept. can say "it wasn't us" when the proposal self destructs.

Thing is, there are places, for example the Ashbourne bypass, or the Arklow bypass, or Boyle, or Dundalk, or any of dozens of oter similar locations where an overhead gantry full of toll cameras would be irresistable to the ruling class.

So maybe it's not quite so impractical an idea as it appears at first glance. Add to that a Government desperate for cash to pump into it's pet zombie bank, and it suddenly starts to look distinctly plausible...

• Advertisement

I already pay tolls for the use of national roads.

Its called fcuking ROAD TAX

[pedant]
    no such thing.

its motor tax
    [/pedant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

It's better than letting them fall into disrepair.
    There is no money to fix the roads otherwise.
    At least they are addressing the problem before it gets out of hand.
    It's mad I know but if there is no money there is no money,shows how screwed we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

From that RTE article:
    Planning fees would go up and the Motor Tax 'off the road' facility removed

So you get taxed for a car that isn't actually using the roads as well, genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Why the hell is the minister of the environment allowed dictate our motor policies? why the hell do we even have that waster Dempsey?!?!? It's sickening that anyone would be so detatched from reality that they'd even suggest this!

Faughnan on Newstalk now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They are probably using this to deflect the attention of :

a) their summer holidays
    b) increase in interest rates
    c) nama fup ups
    d) etc etc etc etc

I promise on thing that if they toll the N5 around Ballaghdeeren or the sh*TE that I have to drive weekly on and listen to my shocks/car/tires been wrecked by potholes, over sized manhole covers etc, I will drive straight through the booth.

These people live in a different planet to the rest of us, lets get that rocket, put them fu*Kers in it and send them out of here.

They are a disgrace.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Michael Ring can be embarrassing at times but I agree with what he is saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can someone please forcefully remove these numpties from government...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Gatster wrote: »
    From that RTE article:

So you get taxed for a car that isn't actually using the roads as well, genius!

Then it becomes an "ownership" tax :)

Much like a tv license, it doesn't matter whether you only watch the angelus once a week or Dave 24 hours a day, ya has to pay it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Then it becomes an "ownership" tax :)

Much like a tv license, it doesn't matter whether you only watch the angelus once a week or Dave 24 hours a day, ya has to pay it :)

There's a recession on don't ya know, gotta squeeze every last cent you can out of people, then make criminals out of them when they can't pay anymore.

Advertisement