Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

Vel wrote: »
    How Strange, the way it worked for me going public in Holles Street was that the doctor writes up a letter alright but I had to ring and sort out my own appointment and then I brought the letter with me.

Getting a little worried I may have lost something now... but I didnt get a letter from the doctor :confused:

I'm doing the community midwives scheme, so I rang Holles Street and got a booking number, then they transfered me to the community midwives for my area, who have scheduled me in for my first appointment at 15 weeks.

No letter or anything though... is this necessary? Should I ring my doctor and ask?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I don't think a letter is necessary. They took the one on my first pregnancy and put it on my file but on this pregnancy they never asked for a letter and I came home with it. Its still sitting on top of the piano!

Unless you have a bit of a medical history that your GP might be able to expand on I think you're ok. My letter just had details on my age and when my last period was

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I rang the hospital today and they took down all my details, opened a new file for me and gave me an appointment for 20th June.

Himself commented this evening that I was developing a little belly. I'm only 7 weeks! I think it's because I can only eat carbs for lunch and dinner. I've gone off meat, fish and veg completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 HerbertGirl

Ok, phew! Good to know I'm not missing anything!

Himself commented this evening that I was developing a little belly. I'm only 7 weeks! I think it's because I can only eat carbs for lunch and dinner. I've gone off meat, fish and veg completely.

Snap with me... although mines a jelly belly, definitely from over-eating though, sure babs is only the size of a raspberry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭talkin

as i said before i have been taking folic acid for at least three months. is there anything else i should take before i get pregnant. would it be too much to take folic acid and evening primrose oil and vit b6 and osteocare which has calcium and magnesium zinc copper manganese selenium vitamin d and boron in it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Hi Talkin,

You could take a supplement like 'Pregnacare' - it contains all the essential vitamins/minerals for those pregnant & trying to conceive :)

Hi Talkin,

You could take a supplement like 'Pregnacare' - it contains all the essential vitamins/minerals for those pregnant & trying to conceive :)

thanks :rolleyes: that sounds so much easier than takin all the others!

No bother :) I think it gives peace of mind too that you're taking the correct quantity of supplements too.
    I thought I would be doing the right thing taking iron supplements from day one or at least eating liver (yuk!) but my GP said definitely not to take iron in the first 12 weeks, as the iron only tablets have too high a dose of iron in them than the likes of pregnacare.

My mum found it gas, when she was pregnant on me she was recommended to drink Guinness (in moderation) during the pregnancy to get the right amount of iron in her diet!

No bother :) I think it gives peace of mind too that you're taking the correct quantity of supplements too.
    I thought I would be doing the right thing taking iron supplements from day one or at least eating liver (yuk!) but my GP said definitely not to take iron in the first 12 weeks, as the iron only tablets have too high a dose of iron in them than the likes of pregnacare.

My mum found it gas, when she was pregnant on me she was recommended to drink Guinness (in moderation) during the pregnancy to get the right amount of iron in her diet!

:rolleyes: guinness?!wow. there's so many do's and donts that just keep changing! like i read some place to do something than read in another place not to do that. do i keep taking folic acid i know thats probably a silly question..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I took pregnacare when I was expecting my dr suggested it, I suggest that you speak to your own dr to be sure.

As for the odd glass of guiness I had the same said to me, 1 glass a week is not going to result in foetal alcohol syndrome.

• Advertisement

talkin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: guinness?!wow. there's so many do's and donts that just keep changing! like i read some place to do something than read in another place not to do that. do i keep taking folic acid i know thats probably a silly question..

I know what you mean its so confusing the way they keep changing the info on what to do or not!
    My GP told me I was to take Folic acid and absolutely nothing else for the first trimester, not even iron.

I had to attend the hospital when I was about 9 weeks as I had a bleed, at the time the consultant commented that my iron was low and told me to start taking pregnacare.
    So I had two professionals looking after my pregnancy giving me conflicting advice :rolleyes:

I agree Thaedydal, I think that amount of drink in moderation would be safe enough to prevent FAS.
    Though must say any Doctors/Consultants/Midwives I attended were very hardcore about completely no alcohol at all during pregnancy.
    I abstained to be on the safe side, though to be honest I don't normally drink regularly anyway so it wasn't really like I gave it up as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

With the folic acid you really need only take it during the first trimester. It's taken to prevent neural tube deficiencies. After the first trimester, all of that is already formed so it won't make much of a difference after that!

As for alcohol,I abstained for most of my pregnancy, but during the last trimester I had the odd glass of red wine. I was quite sick during my pregnancy and was going in and out of preterm/false labour the last three months. I was told t hat a glass of red wine would relax the muscles and knock out false labour.

my mothers a fraternal twin what are my odds of having twin because of that.. i know theres a higher chance if she passed on a certain gene to me but is it 100to1 or 20to1 chance or what. i had ovulation cramp twice this month on sunday evening and than again last night. would this mean i have the gene that makes me ovulate twice. this hasnt happened me before to my knowledge and i think id know because iv been getting ovulation pain since i can remember(didnt know it was that than though thought it was my appendix at me every month :o) but iv only really been tracking my cycle a lot the last year or so. i know anybody can have twins but what would my odds be because of my mother been a fraternal twin. thanks in advance!

Hi Talkin,

I googled (bored :o) & found this info;

"You, your mother, or her mother's mother is a fraternal twin. These women may carry a gene for hyperovulation, which means they release more than one egg during an ovulation cycle, increasing their ability to conceive fraternal twins. The chances may be high as 1 in 17 if the mother is a fraternal twin herself."

On this website;
    http://multiples.about.com/cs/funfacts/a/oddsoftwins_2.htm

So you might just be in for double trouble ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My wife just found out yesterday that she's pregnant. I'm literally bursting to tell everyone but of course I can't yet....except you guys!

I honestly have never been this happy in my life, please god everything will go well between now and March.

/sings/

new_dad wrote: »
    My wife just found out yesterday that she's pregnant. I'm literally bursting to tell everyone but of course I can't yet....except you guys!

I honestly have never been this happy in my life, please god everything will go well between now and March.

/sings/

:D:D:D
    Congrats!!!!

It's tough not being able to tell people. I'm so nervous that when I'm saying things about holidays etc to family that I'll let something slip because myself and my OH haven't been able to think or talk about anything else since we found out.

Congratulations new-dad! that's fantastic news!
    Enjoy every minute of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

new_dad wrote: »

/sings/

congratulations...:D its so difficult to keep the smile off your face i bet!!:pac:

Hi Talkin,

I googled (bored :o) & found this info;

"You, your mother, or her mother's mother is a fraternal twin. These women may carry a gene for hyperovulation, which means they release more than one egg during an ovulation cycle, increasing their ability to conceive fraternal twins. The chances may be high as 1 in 17 if the mother is a fraternal twin herself."

On this website;
    http://multiples.about.com/cs/funfacts/a/oddsoftwins_2.htm

So you might just be in for double trouble ;)

was thinking that. mentioned it to my OH a while back and now he'd love twins. dont think he realises that there would be extra work though :D

We went for our early scan on Saturday and thakfully all was well. We saw the little heart beating and it was kicking and moving around. :D The sense of relief was just amazing. Once I lay down on the bed I was so nervous I thought I'd pass out.

The consultant said it's a very healthy pregnancy with a steady heartbeat and best of all I'm a week further along that I thought which is fantastic and means I'm 10 weeks now.

We told the parents over the weekend and they were thrilled. We're going to tell everyone else after 12 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 candlesticks30

Not sure if i am on the correct forum , but I am 9weeks pregnant and have my first apt with Dr Michael O'Connel in the Cumme . Has anyone any experience or advice on him . I am going Private .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Hi everyone

I just discovered I'm pregnant with my first a few days ago! I'm pretty excited and nervous but it's all good. I'll be 5 weeks on friday.

I've already got sore boobs and some lower abdominal cramps which I've read is pretty normal. I wouldn't have expected to feel anything this early on!

Looking forward to reading everyone's updates :)

Congrats to all the newly pregnant ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I've been lurking in this forum for am while so I thought it was time I introduce myself.

I'm an Irish girl living in Houston, Texas. Came of the pill in November and got pregnant in January but sadly miscarried @ 8 weeks in March. Thankfully I got pregnant again almost immediately and can now start to relax as I'm now 12+4.

Got some fab pictures of our little one on Sunday evening. My friend is an OB resident stuck on night shift at the moment. It was dead quiet so she invited us in for a scan. She spent ages showing us everything, nice strong heartbeat, fingers+toes, little stomach, ears - it was amazing. Also think this little baby has inheried my love of the water as it was swimming around like mad.

Congratulations to all the pregant women here and hopefully everyone will have a healthy pregnancy and baby.

Congratulations Lonestargirl, omigod I'm so jealous, that's fantastic that your friend did such a detailed scan for you! How amazing!
    I'm so sorry to hear about your previous miscarriage, I really hope all goes well for you this time x

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Samanthawho

Hi, is it possible to go public until birth, then SP after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No you have to sign up for one or the other.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi, is it possible to go public until birth, then SP after?

It depends on the hospital- Holles Street will allow you go public up to the birth and then private for the accommodation (however keep in mind that they only have 8 private rooms in over 200 beds- and these tend to be allocated on a medical basis- so even if you go private you could still end up in the exact same ward as had you been public- only you'd be paying for it........)

In practice it doesn't make much sense going SP- the only benefit are the additional postnatal clinics- but you'll be seen postnatally up to 6 weeks anyway.......

smccarrick wrote: »
    It depends on the hospital- Holles Street will allow you go public up to the birth and then private for the accommodation (however keep in mind that they only have 8 private rooms in over 200 beds- and these tend to be allocated on a medical basis- so even if you go private you could still end up in the exact same ward as had you been public- only you'd be paying for it.
    I thought with going SP for accomodation you have to pay upfront and if no SP accomodation is available for you and you end up in public then you don't get your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I thought with going SP for accomodation you have to pay upfront and if no SP accomodation is available for you and you end up in public then you don't get your money back.

What we were told is you book the accommodation from the booking office- however that its seriously limited in nature- the normal SP being a 4 bed ward instead of the 6 bed- and 8 private rooms. If you elect to go SP- you give them your VHI (or Quinn or whatever) number and then they bill the insurance providor directly. If you do this early in the pregnancy- you end up having to pay for the scans etc- if later- the accommodation aspect can be ringfenced from the other element of the care.

Regardless of whether you go public-SP or Private- there is a cost associated with the accommodation. As a public patient- the government (the HSE) cover the cost of the accommodation. Once you elect to go SP or Private- the HSE wash its hands of the costs associated with your care- and instead bill the insurance company for it. If you choose to go SP- and end up in a 6 bed ward with 5 public patients- they will be getting their beds free of charge- your health insurance company on the other hand, will be billed EUR425 a night for your bed. (the SP and P beds cost more)

Totally aside from all of this- the ward manager is in charge of allocating beds- not the accommodation office. So even if you are a private patient- whether you end up in a private bed is at the whim of the ward manager (and at the end of the day- she has purely medical, not financial, concerns to the fore).

S.

Advertisement