Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary Hurling Discussion Thread 2010.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I share your concerns Looder, I'm slightly nervous about this match now. I heard today that Lar is struggling to be fit but don't know how factual that is. I never bet against my own but I wouldn't blame anyone for being drawn to Cork at 13/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Well lads, how do ye think we're set for sunday?
    The nerves are setting in now thinking of the match on Sunday,can't wait to see what team Sheedy will announce tomorrow night,I'm feeling fairly confident that Tipp will win,we need big games from the likes of Eoin Kelly,Noel Mc Grath,Shane Mc Grath and Seamus Callinan in the forwards,I'm happy enough that the backs will do there job well,.Tipp to win by 5 or 6 pts.
    UP THE PREMIER...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

tippspur wrote: »
    The nerves are setting in now thinking of the match on Sunday,can't wait to see what team Sheedy will announce tomorrow night,I'm feeling fairly confident that Tipp will win,we need big games from the likes of Eoin Kelly,Noel Mc Grath,Shane Mc Grath and Seamus Callinan in the forwards,I'm happy enough that the backs will do there job well,.Tipp to win by 5 or 6 pts.
    UP THE PREMIER...

Really looking foward to the team announcement myself. Cant wait, the championship is here!! :pac:

Is there any more after coming out about Lar being injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Really looking foward to the team announcement myself. Cant wait, the championship is here!! :pac:

Is there any more after coming out about Lar being injured?
    Hopefully it's just rumour. Without Lar, Tipp are in serious trouble on Sunday.

We'll know at 9pm Thursday (tonight)

Carrick Swans 2-6 Clonmel 0g 0-9 is the result from earlier in the County Senior football championship. Hopefully this good form transfers to the small ball next week when Swans take on Davins for the first time in a decade at senior level (but we won't go there until Sunday is over :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

looder wrote: »
    . Hopefully this good form transfers to the small ball next week when Swans take on Davins for the first time in a decade at senior level (but we won't go there until Sunday is over :D )

Whats the Derby rivalry like in Carrick, I can imagine there's going to be a few wild tough swings in the game.

If anything kicks off, it'll probably end up like this :phttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xcqWJHG_5Q
    The rivalry would be intense enough, especially this year as it'll be the first senior hurling match between the sides in over a decade.

It's probably the biggest rivalry in Tipperary as both clubs are from the same town. It'll be tough but I'd highly doubt there will be any trouble at it.

If anything kicks off, it'll probably end up like this :phttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xcqWJHG_5Q
    The rivalry would be intense enough, especially this year as it'll be the first senior hurling match between the sides in over a decade.

On davins v swans, as the dialogue in Green Street went
    "Pete Dunham - We f**king hate each other!!"
    "Matt Buckner - Like the Red Sox and the yankees??"
    "Pete Dunham - Nah like the Israelis and the Palestinians!!"
    :D

looking forward to the game on Sunday. a point at either side could decide it.

C'MON THE PREMIER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

When is sundays team out do ye know lads?

When is sundays team out do ye know lads?
    Brendan Cummins,
    Paddy Stapleton, Paudie Maher, Paul Curran,
    Declan Fanning, Conor O'Mahony, Michael Cahill,
    Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath,
    Noel McGrath, Seamie Callinan, John O'Brien
    Eoin Kelly (Capt), Brian O'Meara, Larry Corbett

The team that was announced tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Please excuse me jumping in. Could one of you tell me what does the phrase "waiting in the long grass mean." I don't follow sport but heard it said that Cork would be "waiting in the long grass mean." What does it mean.? Why the reference to "the long grass"? This is a serious question, I am geninely puzzled.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

brave and courageous calls again from Liam to give the young lads and form players their chance.

keeps the cork camp guessing about this full forward! i hope he just plays to what we hear are his strengths and doesnt get sucked in by the occasion...

getting excited, nervous, and giddy all in one now.

tiobraid arainn abu

Please excuse me jumping in. Could one of you tell me what does the phrase "waiting in the long grass mean." I don't follow sport but heard it said that Cork would be "waiting in the long grass mean." What does it mean.? Why the reference to "the long grass"? This is a serious question, I am geninely puzzled.

TIA
    Am, It's a term used mainly in GAA (usually when Tipp play Cork) that means one team is waiting in anticipation without much media hype and are waiting to punce on the favourites - I know thats not explained he best but I'm sure someone else can elaborate on it

Will23 wrote: »
    brave and courageous calls again from Liam to give the young lads and form players their chance.

keeps the cork camp guessing about this full forward! i hope he just plays to what we hear are his strengths and doesnt get sucked in by the occasion...

getting excited, nervous, and giddy all in one now.

tiobraid arainn abu
    I can see Lar and Noel McGrath switiching early on and interchanging throughout the game...

Two debutants in Cahill and Buggy... The smell of championship around the corner, you know the summer is here... Hup the Premier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

Am, It's a term used mainly in GAA (usually when Tipp play Cork) that means one team is waiting in anticipation without much media hype and are waiting to punce on the favourites - I know thats not explained he best but I'm sure someone else can elaborate on it
    OK thanks

Team named, the stage is set. Have we all got our tickets? It shouldn't be a wet day Sunday afternoon either. I nearly enjoy travelling to Cork for this match as much as heading off to Thurles.

I can see Lar and Noel McGrath switiching early on and interchanging throughout the game...

Two debutants in Cahill and Buggy... The smell of championship around the corner, you know the summer is here... Hup the Premier

Exactly, and i think to be fair Festy would start ahead of JOB if he was fit.

Buggy deserves his start. hope he can be our big secret weapon. I expect him to give Cadogan a ding-dong battle.
    Hammersley may be a good option to bring on or Mikey Heffernan. The former didnt have a good day out at the park last time, the latter still young and raw but both show alot of talent and promise.

segregated from my mates on sunday as the gaa dont have an allocation system for the season ticket on the website and i contacted them too late. :rolleyes: still when the ball is thrown in all reason will be lost!! c'mon the lads!! who needs the world cup when the hurling is here :D

Exactly, and i think to be fair Festy would start ahead of JOB if he was fit.

Buggy deserves his start. hope he can be our big secret weapon. I expect him to give Cadogan a ding-dong battle.
    Hammersley may be a good option to bring on or Mikey Heffernan. The former didnt have a good day out at the park last time, the latter still young and raw but both show alot of talent and promise.

segregated from my mates on sunday as the gaa dont have an allocation system for the season ticket on the website and i contacted them too late. :rolleyes: still when the ball is thrown in all reason will be lost!! c'mon the lads!! who needs the world cup when the hurling is here :D
    Exactly, I remember 2002 - The world cup final was on the same time as the Munster final. I know which one I was watching, and it wasn't the one where overpaid primaddonas were running around a soccer pitch!

I'm in the terrace Sunday, a lot more freedom in there. I couldn't sit still in the stand for 70 minutes at all.

Buggy has hurled well by all accounts the last few weeks. I'd know very little about him even though I would have followed the fitz closely enough this year. I'm going to put a few euro on him to score the 1st goal. He'll surely be good odds in the bookies.

Exactly, I remember 2002 - The world cup final was on the same time as the Munster final. I know which one I was watching, and it wasn't the one where overpaid primaddonas were running around a soccer pitch!

only for the 'overpaid' and 'soccer pitch' you mentioned i would have thought you were on about Waterford hurlers :D Maybe overpaid descibes dan shanahan's supposed fee if you want him to open your business premises :D

only for the 'overpaid' and 'soccer pitch' you mentioned i would have thought you were on about Waterford hurlers :D Maybe overpaid descibes dan shanahan's supposed fee if you want him to open your business premises :D
    Not even in the same league as what some of the Cork boys charge apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

lads cork were brill but tipp looked like a team that thought all they had to do was turn up. that was cat. i would have taken buggy off after 20 mins. dont know how he stayed on the pitch as long as he did. where do they go from this hiding?

tom thum wrote: »
    lads cork were brill but tipp looked like a team that thought all they had to do was turn up. that was cat. i would have taken buggy off after 20 mins. dont know how he stayed on the pitch as long as he did. where do they go from this hiding?

there was worse then Buggy there. Noel Mcgrath , John o'Brien were septic even Lar or Eoin didnt set the world alight in 2nd half.

Cork were prob overdue a win on tipp. its not ideal but Tipp will bounce back. Cork deserved it but that Barry Kelly would want to cop on. he allowed Aisake to do what he like. Plenty of hurling to be done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

there was worse then Buggy there. Noel Mcgrath , John o'Brien were septic even Lar or Eoin didnt set the world alight in 2nd half.

Cork were prob overdue a win on tipp. its not ideal but Tipp will bounce back. Cork deserved it but that Barry Kelly would want to cop on. he allowed Aisake to do what he like. Plenty of hurling to be done yet.

:rolleyes:

Orizio wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    1. He was holding Maher's helmet for for the 'penalty' and charging in on top of him
    2. He took way too many steps for his goal.
    3. He was tugging at opposition hurley's constantly.

i accept that cork were far superior but very so often i wish that referees would open thier eyes.
    Ill be honest, tipp could do with a cussen, a setanta or an aisake. we had webster who was a cardboard cut out by comparison but having that advantage is no doubt a great option.

EDIT: As the Vera Lynn song goes, "We'll meet again!, dont know where, dont know when"

He didn't charge Maher for the penalty, Maher was holding on to him because he was ****ting himself. Hence the penalty. Not sure about the other two, don't remember him grabbing anyone's hurley and only saw his goal once in the highlights, but the Tipp defence was hilariously bad in that instance.

Orizio wrote: »
    He didn't charge Maher for the penalty, Maher was holding on to him because he was ****ting himself. Hence the penalty. Not sure about the other two, don't remember him grabbing anyone's hurley and only saw his goal once in the highlights, but the Tipp defence was hilariously bad in that instance.

He was like a rugby player going for the line in goal one and looked to be in the square. i thought that rule was experimental?
    Acres of space and he still couldn't hurl the ball he had to over-carry for his goal. I seen him on many occasions in first half holding back hurls.

He was like a rugby player going for the line in goal one and looked to be in the square. i thought that rule was experimental?
    Acres of space and he still couldn't hurl the ball he had to over-carry for his goal. I seen him on many occasions in first half holding back hurls.

...and? He didn't put his head down and then run into Maher - which is the defintion of charging. You are the first person to drag this up btw.

Even if he was holding his man's hurley, that is something that is very difficult for a ref to pick up. Personally thought Kelly had a fine game.

Awfully deflating day in Cork.. Twas pi$$ing raining before and after the game too. Does the sun ever shine down there!!

Cork aren't that good and Tipp aren't that bad as we witnessed yesterday. We were well beaten and credit has to go to Cork for their performance, now I'm sure there are nailed on for a Munster title. Meanwhile Tipp will have to head through the back door and a potential tie versus Kilkenny in Croke Park in a quarter final. Lessons will have to be learned.

We were commenting that our boys didn't look up for it in the warm up. Something seemed off about the whole lot. I wonder was there a rift in the camp. Though Sheedy was bit slow to make changes. Webster would have been better full forward than O Meara, he had a complete nightmare. I will put in down to jitters but on yesterdays showing I wonder is he even related to a hurler. Back to the drawing board I suppose for them now, the only way is up after that woeful performance.

I waited until today to post here about the match. I said beforehand, I wasn't too confident and it looks like the reason's I gave then were very genuine.

I was at the game yesterday, and would like to say I was ashamed to be a Tipp man for the minutes silence. Would these scumbags just stay at ****ing home and stop giving the County a bad name!

On the game itself, we were beaten on the line and on the field.
      [*]Where was our gameplan?
      The high ball into Buggy didn't work. Where was plan B? Our half forward line didn't win a puckout for the majority of the second half. When Cummins went short, our Midfield couldn't win one either. Sheedy should have made some sort of changes to counteeract the fact we couldn't catch clean ball. Hennessy didn't win any ball when he came on. In fact, our bench looked very poor yesterday. We missed Festy bigtime.
      When Buggy went out half forward, we still hit high balls into Kelly. Again Sheedy should have sorted this out and changed the gameplan.
      [*]Corner forwards!
      Lar had a bright start to the match and could/should have got the first goal but played too far out the field for most of the half. Buggy broke a world of ball in the first 20 minutes but there was nobody coming in to get the break. Kelly was atrocious and although he has been a massive servant to Tipperary, he should not be excluded from criticism yesterday. He's suppose to be the captain and a leader on the team. He done nothing from play!
      [*]Corner backs
      When Curran went full, he didn't allow Aisake to catch any clean ball. Where were the corner backs to pick up the breaks? Nowhere to be seen!.
      [*]Where was the Hunger?
      Tipp lacked fight yesterday and rolled over too easy. Cork hunted in packs, Tipp didn't and that was the main difference yesterday.
      [*]Donal Og's puckouts
      Tipp tried to crowd out the their half back line for Cork's puckouts by bringing the half forwards back 20 yards and the corner forwards splitting the corner backs and half backs. Donal Og played a number of short puckouts and we did nothing to try and counteract. Again, the blame here has to go to Sheedy. He obviously told the forwards what to do on the puckouts and did nothing to change during the match

However, all is not lost!!!

This could be the kick up the hole we need.

The backdoor is an easy enough route for us if we avoid Wexford in the first round.

We can still win an All Ireland this year as long as the players stop believeing their own hype and knuckle down and get their act together. One bad game doesn't make us a poor team but we really do have to find hunger from somewhere.

• Advertisement

Awfully deflating day in Cork.. Twas pi$$ing raining before and after the game too. Does the sun ever shine down there!!

Cork aren't that good and Tipp aren't that bad as we witnessed yesterday. We were well beaten and credit has to go to Cork for their performance, now I'm sure there are nailed on for a Munster title. Meanwhile Tipp will have to head through the back door and a potential tie versus Kilkenny in Croke Park in a quarter final. Lessons will have to be learned.

We were commenting that our boys didn't look up for it in the warm up. Something seemed off about the whole lot. I wonder was there a rift in the camp. Though Sheedy was bit slow to make changes. Webster would have been better full forward than O Meara, he had a complete nightmare. I will put in down to jitters but on yesterdays showing I wonder is he even related to a hurler. Back to the drawing board I suppose for them now, the only way is up after that woeful performance.
      During the warm up management seemed to be telling the players to calm it down. I don't know was this because of the delay to the start of the match or what but it looked to me as if Tipp had done a severe warm up at a different location.

The Tipp team bus passed us at the toll station in Fermoy at 11 o Clock. This was very early for the Tipp team to be in Cork in my opinion so they obviously went someplace. I hope/don't think they are any problems in the camp.

The crowd was dead yesterday. It just didn't feel like Munster Championship. Even during the parade, the cheer that went up was very poor from the Tipp support.

Advertisement