Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DavieB

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I wonder how his attitude will change once he starts driving a taxi. I think thats what he was saying in a previous post. Bang out of order posting their numbers.

How can these ould moaners at the rank in O'Connell St. get out and stand nattering for ages, when there's money to be made elsewhere?
    How can they justify bullying potential passengers into getting into a taxi they chose, instead of a taxi the customer poses.

You can see the moaners every day. Standing around making the rank almost a no go area for potential customers. They should all be made stay in their own cabs and mind their own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

DavieB wrote: »
    How can these ould moaners at the rank in O'Connell St. get out and stand nattering for ages, when there's money to be made elsewhere?
    How can they justify bullying potential passengers into getting into a taxi they chose, instead of a taxi the customer poses.

You can see the moaners every day. Standing around making the rank almost a no go area for potential customers. They should all be made stay in their own cabs and mind their own business.
    there seems to be a lot more moaners here than O'Connell st. Ooh smoking in his car. Give me a fukcing break pc cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Mod note.

Please do not post taxi car regs in this thread again.

Also to those of you who quoted that entire post - don't do it again.

If you have an issue with an identifiable taxi driver, pick it up with the regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

And where exactly is there money to be made elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

oisindoyle wrote: »

Sounds like Madrid. Taxi to Calais please... dribble

• Advertisement

xsil wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    anyone know what is the pass mark for the test?
    I mean the amount of correct answers needed in each part?
    I was calling test centre and the commission, but it seems that 80% is the only what can they say...
    80 % of 54 makes 43,2
    80% of 36 is 28,8
    it would be handy to know for sure how many questions u have to answer to pass

One of Q was the location of The Commission for Taxi Regulation - Fitzwilliam Sq North

good luck
    Sorry but that is not the correct answer.

Obviously if they're stabding for so long at a rank that they are trying to control it, then they are not chsing the work elsewhere. Where alse? Try being pro active and move to a different area. There are lots of places and ways of increasing business. Unfortunately many taxi drivers do not see themselves as business people and therefore don't act like they are business people. If there is no money, why flog a dead horse? How come there are so many long time drivers, if they are not making money?

Obviously if they're stabding for so long at a rank that they are trying to control it, then they are not chsing the work elsewhere. Where alse? Try being pro active and move to a different area. There are lots of places and ways of increasing business. Unfortunately many taxi drivers do not see themselves as business people and therefore don't act like they are business people. If there is no money, why flog a dead horse? How come there are so many long time drivers, if they are not making money?

...and, unfortunately, the public have a view that all cab drivers are lazy and not pro active in their search for work. Yes there are many who sit on ranks moaning but there are as many driving around looking for fares. In this economic climate what the hell are long time drivers supposed to do regarding leaving the business and doing something else when so many professionals from other business cant even get a job in their own line of work? Talk is cheap mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soadtool

Passed the skills test for Galway recently. Cert came about 2 weeks later as promised. just waitin on tax cert. wonderin how much of a wait for the gardai to process dicumentation. whats the timeframe, i know a couple of people are waitin for months but whats the least amount of time someone had to wait?

soadtool wrote: »
    Passed the skills test for Galway recently. Cert came about 2 weeks later as promised. just waitin on tax cert. wonderin how much of a wait for the gardai to process dicumentation. whats the timeframe, i know a couple of people are waitin for months but whats the least amount of time someone had to wait?

Make sure your tax cert has exactly the same name as your taxi licence. It causes problems when you come to renew your plate next year.

Once i got a pass last year (Bray, N Wicklow) it was only a couple of weeks til all my stuff came through.

Good luck mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

Make sure your tax cert has exactly the same name as your taxi licence. It causes problems when you come to renew your plate next year.

Once i got a pass last year (Bray, N Wicklow) it was only a couple of weeks til all my stuff came through.

Good luck mate.
    how are u finding it are u makeing loads of money working all the weekends while u mates go out its a great job.:mad:

Good luck mate.

cool, thanks ciaran. i'll keep that in mind.

and thank you james, for your moving and optimistic comments

james116 wrote: »
    how are u finding it are u makeing loads of money working all the weekends while u mates go out its a great job.:mad:

haha

its sucks :)

cool, thanks ciaran. i'll keep that in mind.

and thank you james, for your moving and optimistic comments
    anytime brother how are u finding it have u started what hours are u doing.

neigh started yet, jus gettin the documentation together. my father and i will share a plate. he's been in the game about 15 yrs now. he's never seen it so bad. but anything's better than the situation i'm in.

neigh started yet, jus gettin the documentation together. my father and i will share a plate. he's been in the game about 15 yrs now. he's never seen it so bad. but anything's better than the situation i'm in.

No offence mate ,but I think you are crazy to get into the business,Surely your father would have told you as much

No offence mate ,but I think you are crazy to get into the business,Surely your father would have told you as much

Come on lads give him a break - he's trying to get going. Nothing worse than loads of doom and gloom before you start.

oisin, are u even capable of saying anything else? maybe in dublin you'd be crazy, but what the hell would u know about the rest of ireland? can u please tell me how exactly am i crazy? since u have all the answers. looking back on all ur posts i find u really negative and ignorant with no real insight to peoples lives.

so please tell me what should i do?

oisin, are u even capable of saying anything else? maybe in dublin you'd be crazy, but what the hell would u know about the rest of ireland? can u please tell me how exactly am i crazy? since u have all the answers. looking back on all ur posts i find u really negative and ignorant with no real insight to peoples lives.

Congratulations on passing the test, something 90% of applicants can't do first time and some even after four attempts.
    The timeframe for the Garda clearance is really in control of the Gardaí. But what can delay it is if you have been moving around a lot. The least time I've heard of was three weeks in Dublin.

Good luck with the work and don't forget to treat it like a business.

there seems to be a lot more moaners here than O'Connell st. Ooh smoking in his car. Give me a fukcing break pc cop.

Problem Chimp is a good name???

There's nothing PC about operating your business in a business like way. It makes more sense than treating customers as a nuisance. Anyone who smokes in their car should be shot with a dose of their own shhhhs. How about just shaking a bag or two of Asbestos in the car before starting work?
    It's this kind of attitude that gets the industry a bad name.

• Advertisement

no im not ignorant and i resent you calling me that ,,I am /was merely looking out for people who think that by going into the taxi business and thinking sure ill work hard and make a few bob etc etc think they will make a wage and get by ,,,
    I said what i said because i would like to try and let people know before hand ,that investing in a plate ,car ,meter ect ect ,is like throwing money down the drain ..
    Obvioulsy you think my comments are negative ,I on the other hand was just trying to be helpful ...
    I think Ill say no more on the subject ,but i wish you good luck because believe me you and any other individual who is thinking about getting into the business will need it ,,,
    p.s. its not just a Dublin problem its nationwide

no im not ignorant and i resent you calling me that ,,I am /was merely looking out for people who think that by going into the taxi business and thinking sure ill work hard and make a few bob etc etc think they will make a wage and get by ,,,
    I said what i said because i would like to try and let people know before hand ,that investing in a plate ,car ,meter ect ect ,is like throwing money down the drain ..
    Obvioulsy you think my comments are negative ,I on the other hand was just trying to be helpful ...
    I think Ill say no more on the subject ,but i wish you good luck because believe me you and any other individual who is thinking about getting into the business will need it ,,,
    p.s. its not just a Dublin problem its nationwide

calling people crazy for getting a job isn't helpful. Constantly saying it is negative.
    calling the industry dead lacks knowledge and personally i think is a bit defeatist.
    i've already approached the people in my last job, friends, friends' places of work, pubs in rural areas, who i know use taxis regularly and they have my business card. admittedly alot fobbed me off, but i definately have at least 60e a day business drummed up and i haven't even started driving.

i dont expect to make a decent salary taxiing, i just want to make more than i do now which is about 0 euros a week giving me a salary of about 0 euros a year.
    - i dont qualify for dole/benefits/health card etc. So dont throw that in my face, as u tend to do

but thanks for ur good luck wishes, but, as they say, i'll make my own. you and ur negative comments and ur bad vibes won't stop me from providing for me and mine

Congratulations on passing the test, something 90% of applicants can't do first time and some even after four attempts.
    The timeframe for the Garda clearance is really in control of the Gardaí. But what can delay it is if you have been moving around a lot. The least time I've heard of was three weeks in Dublin.

Good luck with the work and don't forget to treat it like a business.

thanks dave, unfortunately i didnt pass first time. got a nasty shock when i saw the questions 1st round ;)

it's tough, and theres no way of gauging what q's are gonna be asked,or what to study. not like the theory test, where u can just buy the manual and learn the questions.

but i have tips for helping to pass, especially for galway, if any1 wants to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

thanks dave, unfortunately i didnt pass first time. got a nasty shock when i saw the questions 1st round ;)

it's tough, and theres no way of gauging what q's are gonna be asked,or what to study. not like the theory test, where u can just buy the manual and learn the questions.

but i have tips for helping to pass, especially for galway, if any1 wants to pm me

Yer gotta love these virgins, no offence, but treating it as a business, do you realy think it a wise move to make it easier for people to get their license and compete with you? Every taxi license you help put on the road means another 5-10 less fares available per night, might not sound a lot, but multiply it out and when you have 10 new drivers thats 50-100 fares lost, 100 drivers 500-1000 fares lost etc. Wait til your working and scrabbling for a fare then you'll know what I mean....

op is seeking a little help for the spsv test. alot of u guys are on the wrong thread, if all ur gonna do is bitch about ur job, if u dont like the business get outta dodge.

i'm not gonna be an ass about it, if people want help, i'm not gonna deny them. Plenty of people have helped me to this position

another thing, why do people put 'no offense' at the start of comments meaning to offend?

think i'll give this thread a miss for awhile, too many rude doom and gloomers
    but hey, no offense.

ps: drove a hackney for a few yrs, so no virgins here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Nah don't think I'm on the wrong thread, it's titled SPSV Test, and I've never made any secret of the fact that these grind schools, or for that matter, anyone else "helping" people to get the answers for passing the PSV test do little to either enhance the industry ( unless enhanced means more and nore taxis driven by people without much idea of where they're going ) or do anything else other than put more people in contention for a slice of an ever decreasing market.

I think You'll realise the truth of these statements sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crumlin j

wats de story ppl,i done de test today (dublin)for the second time and failed again,the test is poxy t be honest..i got 80 % in the industry knowledge and 78% in de area knowledge,i honestly taut i passed it but 2% percent away..i done de course in mount st for over 300 euro and 2 tests at 80 quid each n im nt workin so its costly..has any else had much trouble with de test..let us know ur opinions,nice 1,appreciate it...

crumlin j wrote: »
    wats de story ppl,i done de test today (dublin)for the second time and failed again,the test is poxy t be honest..i got 80 % in the industry knowledge and 78% in de area knowledge,i honestly taut i passed it but 2% percent away..i done de course in mount st for over 300 euro and 2 tests at 80 quid each n im nt workin so its costly..has any else had much trouble with de test..let us know ur opinions,nice 1,appreciate it...
    (story bud)just keep on trying u will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

crumlin j wrote: »

Maybe they docked marks for bad spelling;)

Seriously though, I've said it before that the Pre PSV courses are a 100% waste of money if you want to learn. They are only geared at giving you answers for the test and don't help you to learn the layout of Dublin, areas, roads, places of interest etc. The minute you get behind the wheel the answer sheets they hand out won't help you one iota to get a fare home, if you even find one that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 crumlin j

james116 wrote: »
    (story bud)just keep on trying u will get it.
    yeah james i hope so,its jus next time il most likely get completley different questions so its hard t know wat to study and its difficult to know every road in dublin..

Advertisement