Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 luscaa

tricky one i had today
    lower kilmacud road runs between what 2 areas?
    answer
    goatstown to stillorgan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

luscaa wrote: »
    tricky one i had today
    lower kilmacud road runs between what 2 areas?
    answer
    goatstown to stillorgan

I'm still amazed that people are still wanting to get into the taxi business.
    Can i just say YET AGAIN ,in all sincerity ,dont do it .you will regret it.
    Believe me you are far far better off on the dole ,with which you have a weekly regular income ,benefits and probably medical card.
    IF you get into the taxi business ,you will end up demented.The taxi business is kaput ,finished
    Ask any long term or even recently new driver what they would say about it and i will guarantee you that ,they will agree with me .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

myself I'm amazed that people still keep asking for the answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

csully397 wrote: »
    My advice to anyone seeking to get a license is to do the training course it will be money well spent and if you dont pass after that then bite the bullet and look elsewhere

The training courses are a total waste of money as they don't teach you anything except where to tick off in a test and won't teach you the shortcuts when your stuck in a jam on Camden Street 7 nights a week.

My advice? Use the €300+ and go buy a street map to find the local job centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 robbie111

oisindoyle wrote: »
    I'm still amazed that people are still wanting to get into the taxi business.
    Can i just say YET AGAIN ,in all sincerity ,dont do it .you will regret it.
    Believe me you are far far better off on the dole ,with which you have a weekly regular income ,benefits and probably medical card.
    IF you get into the taxi business ,you will end up demented.The taxi business is kaput ,finished
    Ask any long term or even recently new driver what they would say about it and i will guarantee you that ,they will agree with me .

As a matter of interest Oisin and I am not trying to have a go at you by any means. Why dont you take your own advice and give it up and go on the dole??
    You will probably come back and say that you are not entiltled to the dole as you are self employed but surely if you were to give it up and apply for supplementary wellfare alowance you would have your weekly regular income ,benefits and probably medical card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Howyadoing

Ok people I started this thread and I'm not sorry I did,
    but belive me when I say it's not as easy as I thought it was going to be.
    Don't get me wrong I'm happy to be working and am enjoying what I'm doing
    but it can be really tough sometimes. Also don't forget anyone coming into it this year has a lot more regulations to adhere to. If u want honest advice ask the lads on here http://irishtaxi.org/forum/taxi-chat-(drivers)/
    there mostly a sound bunch and will be honest and tell it straight up and not just the bad ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

robbie111 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest Oisin and I am not trying to have a go at you by any means. Why dont you take your own advice and give it up and go on the dole??
    You will probably come back and say that you are not entiltled to the dole as you are self employed but surely if you were to give it up and apply for supplementary wellfare alowance you would have your weekly regular income ,benefits and probably medical card.

Quite simply if i gave up the taxi game tomorrow I cannot claim the dole Thats what i have told people on here you ARE on the dole ,stay on it at least you can look forward to regular income and benefits .
    A self employed person cannot get the dole and whatever supplementary allowance you would get (eventually) given that its taking months to process ,would be far far less the the money one would receive on the dole .
    The only reason im saying to people on here not to go ahead and try getting into the taxi business is because ,they will without a shadow of a doubt regret it .
    If people want to ignore my advice and others on here ,fine ,but you cant say you havent been warned .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Howyadoing wrote: »
    what u so called full time cabbies need is a good kick
    In the arse. There is lots of work out there for taxi drivers
    Who don't want to sit all day at ranks or at the airport.
    Ok people I started this thread and I'm not sorry I did,
    but belive me when I say it's not as easy as I thought it was going to be.
    Don't get me wrong I'm happy to be working and am enjoying what I'm doing
    but it can be really tough sometimes. Also don't forget anyone coming into it this year has a lot more regulations to adhere to. If u want honest advice ask the lads on here http://irishtaxi.org/forum/taxi-chat-(drivers)/
    there mostly a sound bunch and will be honest and tell it straight up and not just the bad ****.

Wow how much a perspective can change in 5 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Howyadoing

I'm not saying I was wrong about that. Just that it's a bit harder than first thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭mark2000ie

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Wow how much a perspective can change in 5 months?

I dont think his perspective has changed that much! Howyadoing was consisitant throughout his posts on this forum, he knew it was not going to be a ride in the park and in order to make a few shillings out of it you have to put the work in and he has found that this is the case and from what I can see he is making a living out of it and is letting people know that it is difficult but if you put the work in you will bear the rewards . Most of his posts were about the test and the unfairness of parts of it and also he was answering peoples questions who had not yet sat the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kinga99

How r use doing guys Mark and howyadoing i was looking thru ur post back right thru to july u seem 2 b honest in your assesment of the test im sitting mine in three weeks and have been stuck looking at maps 4 da last few days and will be for the next few weeks have use any advice on the examine any helful tips 4 preparing 4 it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marsoon

hi just did my test in dublin today passed 1st part but failed 2nd part so just wondering could anyone give us few tips on what to study in maps etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 xsil

Hi guys,
    anyone know what is the pass mark for the test?
    I mean the amount of correct answers needed in each part?
    I was calling test centre and the commission, but it seems that 80% is the only what can they say...
    80 % of 54 makes 43,2
    80% of 36 is 28,8
    it would be handy to know for sure how many questions u have to answer to pass

One of Q was the location of The Commission for Taxi Regulation - Fitzwilliam Sq North

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

xsil wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    anyone know what is the pass mark for the test?
    I mean the amount of correct answers needed in each part?
    I was calling test centre and the commission, but it seems that 80% is the only what can they say...
    80 % of 54 makes 43,2
    80% of 36 is 28,8
    it would be handy to know for sure how many questions u have to answer to pass

One of Q was the location of The Commission for Taxi Regulation - Fitzwilliam Sq North

good luck

I thought it was Fitzwilliam sq south

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

its no wonder there is such a high fail rate

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    I thought it was Fitzwilliam sq south

I thougt so, but thats what the 'customer advisor' says...adding I know that I work here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

xsil wrote: »
    I thougt so, but thats what the 'customer advisor' says...adding I know that I work here ;)

Google maps disagree, this coupled with my own common sense tells me they is wrong

yeah...probably there are even more doubtful questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rodeo

Hey all. I sat my spsv test today and passed the first part
    And failed second part. I was sure I had got it but alas no.
    I found it a bit odd when I was told there was 36 questions
    But would only be marked out of 32 but what not know which
    32. I think this leaves it to easy to fix results.
    Also they won't let u know what u got right or even the % u
    Got right. Anyone any thoughts on this?......
    Am in the same boat too. I just failed the area knowledge today. I wish if we can collate the questions we get from the tests together to for pass4sure.

rodeo wrote: »
    Am in the same boat too. I just failed the area knowledge today. I wish if we can collate the questions we get from the tests together to for pass4sure.
    god help the traveling public if u lot can't pass it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

rodeo wrote: »

And if people do that then we go back to the days of idiots paying over €300 for the test answers only to find that when they hit the road that they still don't know where anywhere is.

My advice if your hell bent on doing it? Pay €12 for the OSI street map and read it very very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 reducepain

After 3 famous attempts. i passed...good heavens, but it took many months in it.. now what? wait for cert and clearance? do drop a line plz.
    thank u all.
    Regards,
    Nat

reducepain wrote: »
    After 3 famous attempts. i passed...good heavens, but it took many months in it.. now what? wait for cert and clearance? do drop a line plz.
    thank u all.
    Regards,
    Nat
    first for all well done on passing now comes the hard bit getting on the road you will have to wait for 6 to 8 weeks for your cert and then if u buy a plate u will have to put it on a car thats not older the 3 years old and it has to be suitible and then u have to think about what hours u are going to work try days for a few weeks untill u find ur feet.you should think about renting a car first to see if u like it and to see if u can make money and come back on here when u are a few weeks in and let us khow how u are getting on i am 18 years driveing a taxi and i think u are mad but best of luck with it.;)

Thank you for ur hint James. Ur words arn't inspiring, it lacks motivation. That's a long time in Taxi business (18years). Mine is a short term solution, till i find my fulltime back.. i lost one in recession. but i assume shouldn't take long, as i already lost one year trying for new ones...

Anymore tips from others..also welcomed.

I thought Taxi regulator sends out in 2 weeks time..the cert's. Garda clearnace may take long, i applied laster year before the Computer based test, my local garda station lost the application, by the time i traced it, the cbt was on. so have to take the new test and moved to the next level. i will lose myself if they lose again.. so i will keep fresh track every week and make it moving.

regards,
    Nat

i khow 18 years right out of school into the driveing (ha ha)good luck with it just be ready to do a lot of hours and weekends a lot of older drivers are looking to get out like me am looking but there is nothing doing.good luck and let us khow its going.

I am new to the field, iam just doing some small time research, is Disel or Petrol taxi is best economically for taximan's.. Suggestions of model and type is appreciated!

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

reducepain wrote: »
    I am new to the field, iam just doing some small time research, is Disel or Petrol taxi is best economically for taximan's.. Suggestions of model and type is appreciated!

Thank you.

Diesel mate by far. Ive got a large Peugeot van wheelchair accessible. Ive had one wheelchair job in a year. Belts werent easy to understand and he almost did as many miles in the back as i did in the front :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Read Irish Indepentdent this week 8% pass first time and 19 % after multi attempts.

Dai John wrote: »
    Read Irish Indepentdent this week 8% pass first time and 19 % after multi attempts.
    god help the traveling public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Read full reply I made under spsv taxi. There will not be many travelling public in 2 years time, well not in legal taxis or hackneys.

Advertisement