Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luther [** Spoilers From Post #175 Onwards **]

• 23-04-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,818 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Idris Elba stars in Neil Cross's six-part series Luther, a psychological crime thriller that takes a new look at the detective genre on BBC One.

Elba, best known for his performance in the award-winning HBO series The Wire, playing drug kingpin Russell "Stringer" Bell, now finds himself on the other side of the law as John Luther, a near-genius murder detective whose brilliant mind cannot always save him from the dangerous violence of his passions.

Joining Elba in the cast are Ruth Wilson, Steven Macintosh, Paul McGann and Warren Brown.

Creator and writer Neil Cross is an acclaimed suspense novelist and was lead writer on two series of BBC One's Spooks.

"I'm delighted that BBC One is bringing Luther to life," he says. "It's an intense psychological thriller which examines not only human depravity but the complex nature of love … and how it's often this – our finest attribute – that leads us into darkness."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s8jk0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p007dgzb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bumpity.

Starts tonight at 10:55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Now that should get a few more views!

Luther 9 pm tonight BBC1, looks promising albeit fashioned from pretty standard cop show templates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah but it's not HBO!

I generally have little faith in British made crime/drama but I might give this a chance. Feck all else on really. Except Crank on TG4:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think you may be disappointed Mike, unless you have Sky? My NTL listings tell me the N.I Leaders Debate is on at 9.

FTA satellite FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Its on at 10.55 on BBC1 NI tonight guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

What did people think? Thought it was ok, a bit strange to hear Stringer with the British Accent though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Don't massively enjoy the Brits when they do serious drama like this...but that was fun. String is an amazing actor, the show would be nothing without him. There's enough to keep you interested, though. It's kind of like The Bill dressed up for confirmation.

I thought it something other than what I was expecting, ie yet again too much "mood/hokiness" not enough intelligent plotting. All a bit Bonekickers

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I really enjoyed it. I thought it was very good. Great to Stringer back on the screen, albeit a little older and greyer !!!!
    It was on BBC HD at 9.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Excellent, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It wasn't too bad, but I found the psycho-lady (Ruth Wilson) a little annoying, having recently seen her in the remake of The Prisoner. I couldn't help but wonder whether, as a child, someone had put her lips in a vice and flattened them.:eek:

At least Idris Elba was more understandable than his Stringer character in The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

I enjoyed it and will be watching it again, Idris is a good actor and was fantasic in The Wire but he is also a little bit limited in what he can portray. The angry desk throwing shouty bits are good but im not sure how well he pulled off the ingelligent thoughtful side of his character. The thing with Acting is that a huge amount is down to the editing afterwards which has a huge affect on how scenes look and feel.

Overall it was a good episode, not near the same league as The Wire but then i wouldn't expect it to be. What will work against this shows is if people expect a reworked Stringer Bell which is plainly not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i enjoyed it its not often bbc has worthwhile stuff on

Another brilliant episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Ive been watchin it the last couple of weeks and i think is pretty good. not spectacular ala the wire but hey nothin else is.....

Barking mad! Its creepy villain of the week, stuff. Scooby-doo meets Cracker.

mike65 wrote: »
    Barking mad! Its creepy villain of the week, stuff. Scooby-doo meets Cracker.

The actor playing this week's villain seems to be a posh nut-job in every programme that I've seen him in.

Yep, he played Peter Mandelson in The Deal! :p

Yep, he played Peter Mandelson in The Deal! :p

Never saw that, which must must mean that he even plays posh nut-jobs in programmes that I haven't seen.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Hi,

Does anybody know if the repeat of Luther is the regular version or is split screened for sign language?

I can't watch it tonight so I've set the series link on the UPC box, but it's also set to record something else at the same time that has no repeat.

Cheers

Not sure. But late night showings often are signed, I find I zone out the man at the side pretty quickly.

Tonights was basicly a Giallo plot in every respect. Bar a rape or three.

Another dark episode last night, and it's nicely set up for the finale!

Preposterous stuff, his phone record proves his innocence and now Alice is going to be some sort of Guardian Angel in the last episode. Daft as a brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Preposterous stuff, his phone record proves his innocence and now Alice is going to be some sort of Guardian Angel in the last episode. Daft as a brush.

Granted, there are a number of "plot holes" in this show, and a number of times when you think "hold on a sec, thats a bit of a leap".......but I still think that as a 6 part series it has been absolutely brilliant. Way way better than a lot of the muck on the screen these days.

I was all over the place for the last ep, and I haven't been like that since the wire....not even for Lost !!!!

Luther rocks.....I hope there will be more series'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Great show, they've set it up really well for a second series which I really hope they make.

What did I say? Alice to the rescue (sort of!) I wonder if the makers (the writer is Spooks veteran) meant this to be hokey fun or serious drama?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jab1

finished watching this last night,excellent show from the bbc,the great idris elba stars as luther(stringer bell from the WIRE)its a dark pscyological crime drama,luther is a cross between cracker and "vincent" where ray winstone was a cop.very good show season ends on a cliff hanger.10 out of 10 from well worth alook

Idris Elba has reportedly said that he is eager to film another series of his recent cop show Luther for the BBC.

Elba's agent, Roger Charteris told The First Post that the former star of The Wire is "definitely up for it".

"Idris had a great time making Luther and he loved playing that character." he said. "He is a very busy man both in the United States and in Britain but if the BBC wanted to make it he would make himself available."

The show opened to 5.7 million viewers but ratings later declined.

The final episode of the first series aired on BBC One on June 8.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a236493/idris-elba-hopes-for-more-luther.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Watched first three episodes earlier. Very solid stuff from the BBC. Colour me impressed!

Advertisement