Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luther [** Spoilers From Post #175 Onwards **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Last night's was superb.

The scene in the office was pretty fecking terrifying to be fair.. even got the chills during the anticipation of what he'd do next in the petrol station at the start.

I like the way they've divided the 4 episode season into two parters (first 2 - Punch, final two, "RPG Nutter").

Was annoying me as to where I'd seen Benny before..

michael_smiley.jpg

I then realised..

:D

Am hoping to see the Beeb give it another season!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Really good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Last night's was great alright, that office scene was properly tense and pretty brutal considering you didn't really see the hammer hitting anyone. Sort of reminded me of the Joker in The Dark Knight the way the character doesn't seem to have any back story or motivation beyond causing chaos.
    Should be an interesting finale, particularly with the on-going arc of the girl, Luther and the mob. Surely Alice Morgan will return and interfere somehow...?

Surely Alice Morgan will return and interfere somehow...?
    Was thinking the exact same thing last night.. definitely not the last we've seen of Alice.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Basq wrote: »
    Surely Alice Morgan will return and interfere somehow...?
    Was thinking the exact same thing last night.. definitely not the last we've seen of Alice.
    I was just discussing this with a colleague today, I will be surprised if she doesn't feature prominently in the finale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

And its over, even had a sort of upbeat ending!

Great fun in a mad way, if murderous psycho killers, pimps, whores, bloody murder, threatened self-immolation, and amazing slight of hand/coincidences/general skullduggery are your thing! :)

That scene in the truck was superb!

The Beeb's gotta give it another season.. been holding strong in the ratings and Idris Elba's been keen to do more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i missed the last half hour cos a friend called over!!!!!:eek::eek: is it repeated anytime this week??

i missed the last half hour cos a friend called over!!!!!:eek::eek: is it repeated anytime this week??
    Not this week.. it'll be repeated next Monday night / Tuesday morning at 1.25am on BBC1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

I felt something lacked this week compared to previous episodes. Not sure what exactly, it all seemed to get wrapped up too nicely. And the end in the truck was lifted straight from the film In The Line Of Fire, which sort of annoyed me.

Overall I thought it was a good series, daft as hell but good fun. Hope it gets another series, although the upbeat and tidy ending has left me wondering if it will...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Interesting show, although Idris Elba pretty much carries the entire thing by himself. He's really the only reason to watch, although I did like Schenk this series too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I missed episode this week.... is it repeated apart from the one in middle of night with sign language?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Basq wrote: »
    That scene in the truck was superb!

The Beeb's gotta give it another season.. been holding strong in the ratings and Idris Elba's been keen to do more.
    Make the series longer too!

I wonder did Idris Elba base his characters walk on a Mayo farmer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Villette

ScumLord wrote: »

I wonder did Idris Elba base his characters walk on a Mayo farmer?

Ha! I must meet some Mayo farmers if that's the case because it is one hot walk!

Have to say I thought the finale wasn't as good as episode 3, although I did like the optimistic ending. I just think that the psycho twin killers lost their terrifying edge.
    Four episodes really isn't enough for a series either, I will have forgotten how much I liked it when it comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I find myself loving everything about the show, except Luther! The two main criminal stories were really well done in all regards, but I just find some of Luther's characteristics really annoying.

He gets a nail through the hand and does nothing. He intimidates a witness. He delivers police information to criminals. He knows that the young girl's life is in danger at his flat if he doesn't deliver the information on time, but doesn't bother a) delivering the information, b) getting home early or c) warning the girl. Only at the end, after setting up Frank with the dead body, does he threaten that old lady. Ugh, I was getting really frustrated watching it at times!

I thought Cameron and the twins were excellent, and carried the show for me.

Fidelis wrote: »
    I find myself loving everything about the show, except Luther! The two main criminal stories were really well done in all regards, but I just find some of Luther's characteristics really annoying.

He gets a nail through the hand and does nothing. He intimidates a witness. He delivers police information to criminals. He knows that the young girl's life is in danger at his flat if he doesn't deliver the information on time, but doesn't bother a) delivering the information, b)
    He does deliver the information to the ex cop and says yerman never showed up. It was his alibi.

It's called playing it cool.

ScumLord wrote: »
    He does deliver the information to the ex cop and says yerman never showed up. It was his alibi.

It's called playing it cool.

I'm talking about how that guy, who eventually gets stabbed in Luther's flat, had told Luther a few times that if he didn't get the information that day, he'd pay a visit to the young girl at his flat.

Oh he was 'playing it cool' all right, cool in a "I don't care if that girl is beaten and/or raped" kind of way :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

He gets a nail through the hand and does nothing. He intimidates a witness. He delivers police information to criminals. He knows that the young girl's life is in danger at his flat if he doesn't deliver the information on time, but doesn't bother a) delivering the information, b) getting home early or c) warning the girl. Only at the end, after setting up Frank with the dead body, does he threaten that old lady. Ugh, I was getting really frustrated watching it at times!

I thought Cameron and the twins were excellent, and carried the show for me.
    I had problems with it to, I usually watch a program for the entertainment/wind down value and don't pass much remarks on plot holes or mistakes but the last 3 episodes really annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm talking about how that guy, who eventually gets stabbed in Luther's flat, had told Luther a few times that if he didn't get the information that day, he'd pay a visit to the young girl at his flat.

Oh he was 'playing it cool' all right, cool in a "I don't care if that girl is beaten and/or raped" kind of way :rolleyes:

Well, he was up to his eyeballs in it, and the only ones who could be in two places at once were the twins.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

rachel wrote: »
    I was just discussing this with a colleague today, I will be surprised if she doesn't feature prominently in the finale

I couldnt believe she didnt appear in the finale, she was a great character.

Love this show, didnt like the police woman on the cases though

• Advertisement

I knew I had forgotten something! What was the deal with the books being linked to the laptop password? I must have missed some dialogue, because they just decided that one of the books contained the password, and then somehow cracked it with the bible. Very wishy washy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I knew I had forgotten something! What was the deal with the books being linked to the laptop password? I must have missed some dialogue, because they just decided that one of the books contained the password, and then somehow cracked it with the bible. Very wishy washy.

I didnt really understand that either, but then i just thought it was me being stupid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Just going from memory here. They determined from the codes contained in the handwritten notes that they could crack the password easily once they had the correct book. Luther determined the correct book they would need to crack the password was the Bible that is in every hotel room. Once they had the Bible they could then easily crack the password. I think I remember them saying it would be easy to crack if they had the book.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    I couldnt believe she didnt appear in the finale, she was a great character.

Love this show, didnt like the police woman on the cases though

She played a miserable sod in the cancelled Survivors series, so I think she must be getting typecast. I don't think she'd be any good at all in a comedy.

The bible was picked as he thought the rest of the books where just off the self books, 2nd or 3rd edition, no guarantee of the content. They needed a book that would be the same and the bible would always be the same were ever they went.

Wow.

That was pretty edge-of-seat stuff, the guy walking down the street with the bomb and everybody running. It is definitely one of the best shows on TV at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does anyone know how to do the Luther Walk? Seems the women love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I just watched all 4 episodes. Love this show, I could literally watch it all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

From the little I've seen of it, it's bonkers and OTT.

Which is fine by me.

Will watch again for sure.

• Advertisement

From the little I've seen of it, it's bonkers and OTT.

Which is fine by me.

Will watch again for sure.

I hope the Beeb doesn't do something stupid like cancel it.

Advertisement