Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luther [** Spoilers From Post #175 Onwards **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC America? Hmm Luther goes west anyone?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finally caught up on this - great stuff. It really puts American stuff like "Criminal Minds" to shame.

The RPG killer in this was great - just rolling the dice. What made it so good was the creepy performance, the killer just silently hitting people. The office scene was one of the freakiest I've seen in ages: People here said we didn't see the hammer hit but I thought we did because my brain made that chilling connection.

Luther, with his cool, is one of the toughest "hard-as-nails" members of law enforcement since Vic McKay stepped down. Elba deserves the praise put on him.

Looking forward to seeing what a third season can bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It says a lot about the talent of Idris Elba that this show has lasted three series'. I love Luther but let's face it...it's a completely ridiculous show. The script is godawful and the direction takes itself waaaayy too seriously for something so hokey and cheesy. But then Elba comes on the screen, gives it a quick spray of cool and you believe everything he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

leggo wrote: »
    It says a lot about the talent of Idris Elba that this show has lasted three series'. I love Luther but let's face it...it's a completely ridiculous show. The script is godawful and the direction takes itself waaaayy too seriously for something so hokey and cheesy. But then Elba comes on the screen, gives it a quick spray of cool and you believe everything he does.

If I thought that about any show I wouldn't watch it. I don't think Luther is any of that (agree about Elba) but each to their own.

Edit: what I mean is if a show just depended on one good actor then that's a fail and wouldn't watch just for the sake of one actor. Yes I think Elba is the best actor on the show (surprise), however I think the supporting actors and direction are of high standard also that compliment the show overall.

It doesn't rest solely on Ebra though - we get a pretty decent supporting cast with pretty damned menacing villains, especially the RPG killers. I still think the most disturbing image out of Season Two was when he just casually climbed into a car and killed all the occupants.

I didn't realize it won a Golden Globe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno, I just think that without Elba you're left with a show that's not credible and frankly a bit cheesy. Like the director's sole idea of a psychopathic killer is that they always open their eyes really widely and maniacally, to pick up on one point.

That's grand and all, there's a market for this stuff as there is cheesy action movies with no substance: based more around the witty retorts the hero gives after he kills a bad guy than any actual story. But I doubt it would've lasted three series or amassed the critical acclaim it has without Elba at the helm. He makes the show credible and, at some stages, incredible. Like I said, I'm a big fan of the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

This show is incredible, theres no typical cliches which is great, just have to start the second season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Running low on shows to watch. Gonna give this a go. Big Idris Elba fan so here's hoping it's good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Shane St. wrote: »
    Running low on shows to watch. Gonna give this a go. Big Idris Elba fan so here's hoping it's good
    First series good, second series shite, but I thought the same of Sherlock so don't mind me....

First series fine (starts a bit wonkily but ends well), second series grim urban Gothic nonsense and nothing wrong with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭Basq

First series good, second series shite, but I thought the same of Sherlock so don't mind me....
    What.. what.. what?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Video announcement of Season 3!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Perfect summer 2013 viewing :)

Cannot wait!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• BBC One has ordered a third season of the Idris Elba-starring Luther.

Read More at: http://tvline.com/2012/11/02/touch-season-2-cast-annie-wersching-24-reunion/#utm_source=copypaste&utm_campaign=referral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

It's quality, not quantity

I would much rather 4 perfectly sculpted, scripted, acted and completely over-the-top episodes than 26 with maybe 10 being good. And if last season is anything to go by, then it's going to be incredible. The twin bad guys were probably the best ones on TV for a long time.

Yep, look at the likes of Sherlock who deliver 3 damn fine episodes..

.. better to have 4 excellent and memorable episodes than dilute it with sub-par episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have avoided reading this thread for fear of spoilers but, having my brekkie this morning, was browsing Netflix and decided to give Luther a quick viewing.

Watched the frat two episodes and loved it. Relentless pace and some very well defined characters already.

The worst part is my Mrs watched it as it was aired and I remember only seeing the last fifteen minutes of the last episode by accident when she was watching it.
    I can't recall much of the details and am doing my best to block the memories from my mind.

Season Two more or less shits on Season One. I envy you, getting to see it all for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭crank_1975

Just got into this recently myself. Only one episode of series two left to watch. Great news about series three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Season Two more or less shits on Season One. I envy you, getting to see it all for the first time.

After glancing through this thread last Friday, I started Luther over the weekend and got through the first 3 episodes of season 1. If season 2 is even better, then I'm in for a serious treat - the first half of season 1 was phenomenal.

^ You lucky lucky duck.. some amazing telly ahead of you!

4 episodes in to season 1 and I`m loving it.

• Advertisement

Finished season 2 and while i enjoyed it, i much preferred season 1.

adox wrote: »
    Finished season 2 and while i enjoyed it, i much preferred season 1.

I'm just rewatching the last two episodes of Season 2 and I think it's brilliant. There's just so many completely memorable scenes in it -
    The beginning of the third episode, where the killer walks on to the forecourt. It was so well shot.
    When the guy walks into the office and just attacks and sprays people completely at random and then willingly gives himself up when caught
    The end of that episode, where its revealed that there is a twin, who kills randomly in the train station
    In the fourth episode, where the second killer climbs into a random car and slaughters everyone in it
    When he's walking through the streets of London with the bomb attached to himself

Those two episodes alone produced more tense, twisted and thrilling (alliteration man.. yeaah!) moments than most other shows and yet it still isn't as widely recognized yet, I don't think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

Season 3 has a "placeholder" June 11th start date now.

https://www.facebook.com/LutherBBC

They've left it to long, same with sherlock, the big gaps are ruining them.

Season 2 was shyte.

Cannot wait, but where's the June 11th start date mentioned?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Prof Nincom Poop Ph.D

Basq wrote: »
    Cannot wait, but where's the June 11th start date mentioned?

On phone but Geektown has it as TBC june 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Saw an ad on Alibi during the week for series 1 of Luther. Can't remember what date it will begin (they don't show any start date on their website that I can see).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭RichT

Just got an email via the excellent SKY NEVER MISS.

Luther, from season 1, begins next Thursday 30th May @ 9pm on ALIBI (channel 196) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ruth Wilson is back as Alice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

My episode planner is showing September 3rd for the start of season 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BBC 1 advertising it as coming in July

Mr E wrote: »
    My episode planner is showing September 3rd for the start of season 3.
    BBC America announced that as a start date on Facebook earlier this week..

.. but an advert (similar to above) on BBC is quoting a July start date alright.

Cannot wait. Girlfriend has never seen it so a rewatch is on order.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭PaddyPope

This show has been popping up in my recommendations on Netflix ever since I finished Sherlock and I've wanted to start it. Is it worth the watch yeah? I'd be into the likes of Breaking Bad, Sherlock, The Wire, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire etc. so I reckon I'll enjoy it.

PaddyPope wrote: »
    This show has been popping up in my recommendations on Netflix ever since I finished Sherlock and I've wanted to start it. Is it worth the watch yeah? I'd be into the likes of Breaking Bad, Sherlock, The Wire, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire etc. so I reckon I'll enjoy it.

Check it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

This is next for me after the wire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Yay...
    Alice
    is back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

Footoo wrote: »
    Yay...
    Alice
    is back

i know. I'm super excited about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

TVrage showing Series 3 starting on 2nd July :)

http://www.tvrage.com/Luther

Hopefully that's accurate.

And it's been confirmed!

BNIGaolCMAIp5jq.jpg:large

Back tonight. Can't wait! :)

Cannot wait either..

.. but have the previous 10 episodes (6 in season 1, 4 in season 2) in HD that I never got to rewatch.. so might Sky+ and binge at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Currently making my way through series 2 at the moment, for the first time. I didnt even know the third series was so close to starting, fantastic timing on my part!

Really, really enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Lads I know Luther starts up again tonight on BBC 1 but does anyone know if it is repeated later in the week?

A few people have said the American show Suits was decent . I watched the first episode last week on Network 2 and tbh I wasn't that impressed but said I'd give it another week .
    The prob is that both shows are on at the same time now 9pm (I've no recorder).

Is one of them repeated later in the week?
    If not, is Suits really worth missing Luther for ..... in your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Luther is so mych better than suits.
    I didnt get on with suits at all, whereas luther is fantastic

• Advertisement

Luther, quite frankly, "wee-wees" all over Suits..

.. but then again, I only watched the first season of Suits and didn't really get the love for it.

Advertisement