Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Luther [** Spoilers From Post #175 Onwards **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Only getting into this now, just finished Season 1

Wow, top notch stuff from the BBC
    That taxi driver murdering the girls was particularly memorable, great if disturbing TV

Just starting into Season 2, this one can run and run

lol, some druggie getting charged for attempting to rob a karate school :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The coolest walk on TV :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Fantastic news.. one of the finest productions from the Beeb right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Top stuff!

• Advertisement

Fantastic news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

The first novel is on the shelves now, Im a few chapters in and really
    enjoying it.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/neil+cross/luther3a+the+calling/8170707/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I wasn't impressed with Season 2 but roll on Season 3.

Bump... press release ahoy!
    BBC AMERICA TO CO-PRODUCE NEXT INSTALLMENT OF LUTHER

Golden Globe®-winner Idris Elba to return in BBC AMERICA’s award-winning Dramaville mini-series

"@BBCAMERICA co-producing next installment of #Luther, starring Golden Globe winner @IdrisElba, premiering on #Dramaville in 2012"

New York - Thursday, January 26, 2012 - Following Idris Elba’s best actor win at the 2012 Golden Globes®, BBC AMERICA has today confirmed it is to co-produce the next installment of the critically-acclaimed drama, Luther, starring Idris Elba. The four-part mini-series will premiere in 2012 as part of BBC AMERICA’s Dramaville.

Perry Simon, General Manager, Channels, BBC Worldwide America says: “We’re delighted that Idris’ performance in Luther has been recognized this year with a Golden Globe® Award, an NAACP Image Award and a Primetime Emmy® Award nomination. His iconic role as John Luther has quickly become one of the most powerful detective characters television audiences have ever seen. Luther has been integral in establishing our new Dramaville franchise, the home for groundbreaking British drama. We’re excited to work once again with the incredibly talented writer Neil Cross and executive producer Phillippa Giles on this new ambitious four-part mini-series.”

Idris Elba stars as Detective Chief Investigator John Luther, the near-genius detective struggling to cope with his own demons, in two ambitious and distinctive thrilling crime stories. DCI John Luther returns to make another pilgrimage to the heart of human darkness… but at what cost to his own soul?

The police team is back including Detective Sergeant Justin Ripley (Warren Brown, Occupation, Shameless), DSU Martin Schenk (Dermot Crowley, Babel, Bleak House), Detective Sergeant Erin Gray (Nikki Amuka-Bird, Survivors, Small Island) and Benny Silver (Michael Smiley, Burke and Hare, Wire in the Blood).

Idris Elba received an Emmy® nomination for his role as John Luther and was also honored at the 42nd NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Actor in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special. He is nominated again this year for an NAACP Image Award along with Luther, which is nominated for Outstanding Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special. BBC AMERICA’s Luther won the 2011 Edgar Award for Best Television Episode Teleplay and was nominated for a 2011 NAMIC Award for Best Drama.

Luther is written by Neil Cross (Mama, MI-5, The Fixer), directed by Sam Miller (MI-5, This Life) and produced by Katie Swinden (MI-5). Phillippa Giles (Emma, Jane Eyre) is Executive Producer. Luther is a BBC and BBC AMERICA co-production distributed by BBC Worldwide.
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I can't wait for the next series.
    I've been watching the wire and it's so funny to see him play an American drug dealer, he's a great actor .

• Advertisement

BBC America? Hmm Luther goes west anyone?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finally caught up on this - great stuff. It really puts American stuff like "Criminal Minds" to shame.

The RPG killer in this was great - just rolling the dice. What made it so good was the creepy performance, the killer just silently hitting people. The office scene was one of the freakiest I've seen in ages: People here said we didn't see the hammer hit but I thought we did because my brain made that chilling connection.

Luther, with his cool, is one of the toughest "hard-as-nails" members of law enforcement since Vic McKay stepped down. Elba deserves the praise put on him.

Looking forward to seeing what a third season can bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It says a lot about the talent of Idris Elba that this show has lasted three series'. I love Luther but let's face it...it's a completely ridiculous show. The script is godawful and the direction takes itself waaaayy too seriously for something so hokey and cheesy. But then Elba comes on the screen, gives it a quick spray of cool and you believe everything he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

leggo wrote: »
    It says a lot about the talent of Idris Elba that this show has lasted three series'. I love Luther but let's face it...it's a completely ridiculous show. The script is godawful and the direction takes itself waaaayy too seriously for something so hokey and cheesy. But then Elba comes on the screen, gives it a quick spray of cool and you believe everything he does.

If I thought that about any show I wouldn't watch it. I don't think Luther is any of that (agree about Elba) but each to their own.

Edit: what I mean is if a show just depended on one good actor then that's a fail and wouldn't watch just for the sake of one actor. Yes I think Elba is the best actor on the show (surprise), however I think the supporting actors and direction are of high standard also that compliment the show overall.

It doesn't rest solely on Ebra though - we get a pretty decent supporting cast with pretty damned menacing villains, especially the RPG killers. I still think the most disturbing image out of Season Two was when he just casually climbed into a car and killed all the occupants.

I didn't realize it won a Golden Globe!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I dunno, I just think that without Elba you're left with a show that's not credible and frankly a bit cheesy. Like the director's sole idea of a psychopathic killer is that they always open their eyes really widely and maniacally, to pick up on one point.

That's grand and all, there's a market for this stuff as there is cheesy action movies with no substance: based more around the witty retorts the hero gives after he kills a bad guy than any actual story. But I doubt it would've lasted three series or amassed the critical acclaim it has without Elba at the helm. He makes the show credible and, at some stages, incredible. Like I said, I'm a big fan of the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

This show is incredible, theres no typical cliches which is great, just have to start the second season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Running low on shows to watch. Gonna give this a go. Big Idris Elba fan so here's hoping it's good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Shane St. wrote: »
    Running low on shows to watch. Gonna give this a go. Big Idris Elba fan so here's hoping it's good
    First series good, second series shite, but I thought the same of Sherlock so don't mind me....

First series fine (starts a bit wonkily but ends well), second series grim urban Gothic nonsense and nothing wrong with that!

• Advertisement

First series good, second series shite, but I thought the same of Sherlock so don't mind me....
    What.. what.. what?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Video announcement of Season 3!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Perfect summer 2013 viewing :)

Cannot wait!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• BBC One has ordered a third season of the Idris Elba-starring Luther.

Read More at: http://tvline.com/2012/11/02/touch-season-2-cast-annie-wersching-24-reunion/#utm_source=copypaste&utm_campaign=referral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

It's quality, not quantity

I would much rather 4 perfectly sculpted, scripted, acted and completely over-the-top episodes than 26 with maybe 10 being good. And if last season is anything to go by, then it's going to be incredible. The twin bad guys were probably the best ones on TV for a long time.

Yep, look at the likes of Sherlock who deliver 3 damn fine episodes..

.. better to have 4 excellent and memorable episodes than dilute it with sub-par episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have avoided reading this thread for fear of spoilers but, having my brekkie this morning, was browsing Netflix and decided to give Luther a quick viewing.

Watched the frat two episodes and loved it. Relentless pace and some very well defined characters already.

The worst part is my Mrs watched it as it was aired and I remember only seeing the last fifteen minutes of the last episode by accident when she was watching it.
    I can't recall much of the details and am doing my best to block the memories from my mind.

Advertisement