Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Su Campu wrote: »
    I presume the Champions League games will be off this week too if this continues?

Cant the teams use roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

As a worst case senerio you have really to imagine Europe without air transport for the next 3-6 months. Might sound a bit drastic but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Take every visitor from the states outta the equation. Take out nipping across to the uk for a days business. Take out your post and papers flying in. Air ambulances and air sea rescue gone. Forget about summer holidays abroad. Would hate to have tickets for a world cup game !! This eruption does have the potential to ground air travel till Christmas or even beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

irish1967 wrote: »
    As a worst case senerio you have really to imagine Europe without air transport for the next 3-6 months. Might sound a bit drastic but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Take every visitor from the states outta the equation. Take out nipping across to the uk for a days business. Take out your post and papers flying in. Air ambulances and air sea rescue gone. Forget about summer holidays abroad. Would hate to have tickets for a world cup game !! This eruption does have the potential to ground air travel till Christmas or even beyond.

Tourism industry = wiped out. Supply of produce from abroad (fruits, certain products) = severely curtailed or unavailable. The economic cost is unthinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I presume the Champions League games will be off this week too if this continues?

Maybe they will travel by train ?

Denis Bergkamp would have loved this situation. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That really is the worst case. The wind will shift eventually, and Katla is not likely to blow just yet according to the vulcanologists. Besides that, the airlines cannot survive 6 months of downtime. The rules will be changed and we'll be back to flying normally. I know the aviation industry, and they will not stand still and twiddle their thumbs over this in the long term. Besides, my girlfriend is coming back from Australia in 8 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Daily Mail much?

It will all have blown over in less than a week, much like a Britney story.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Its not a jet engined plane.

Really? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Would be interesting to run the average of the last few years weather patterns in Europe in a computer with the eruption as it is....how many days would the airspace have been closed down over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

We'll see. As I said worst case senario but when it shut down on Thursday did we think most think we would still be in the same situation 3 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Do not wash your car or let the kids write their name in the dust, it will severely scratch the paint.

Either leave it alone (driving may shift it) or clean by throwing water over it to rinse it first.

Learnt this the hard way a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

We'll see. As I said worst case senario but when it shut down on Thursday did we think most think we would still be in the same situation 3 days later.

Very true :pac: You had people saying "ah twill be blown over by tomorrow" and all that :rolleyes: Plus the last time it erupted it lasted one whole year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭blank_screen

Reuters is quoting Dutch officials as saying there were also test flights made today in France and Belgium at the request of the EU.
    Not all ash is disasterous and without the sampling one can not tell what altitudes are the most risky vs operating temperature of the engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Starting up again now:

vcanice.jpg

vcanice2.jpg

vcanice3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Amazing...(although it is a long exposure). More here

ejafjalla16apr2010-mfulle4153j.jpg

ejafjalla16apr2010-mfulle4145j.jpg
    Wow are those real?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Not sure if anyone has posted this link. It shows all the air traffic over europe in almost real time. It also shows the ash coverage. Was looking at it earlier and there was nothing in the air over northern europe, except a lone cessna over Germany.

www.radarvirtuel.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Pangea wrote: »
    Wow are those real?

Yeah. They're long exposure shots. Taken last night I think.

LookingFor wrote: »
    Yeah. They're long exposure shots. Taken last night I think.
    What do you mean long exposure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a funny smell, it's got very hazy, sandy looking in the sky here and a wierd smell at the same time :confused:

Due to the dry weather and heat today there were tons of gorse fires around the place and bucketloads (yes its an official term) of farmers were burning off junk and cuttings.
    I dont think the ash will smell anything like normal smoke, I would be surprised if anything that settles will smell at all.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I dont think the ash will smell anything like normal smoke, I would be surprised if anything that settles will smell at all.
    It's not a smoke smell, it smells like rotten eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Got that whiff here in Waterford earlier, really strong, blamed the farmer behind the house, really sulphury smell !!! Thought is was slurry??? Is there something bigger going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

You need to use toothpaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Smells like my husband ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭macaronicheese

Got that whiff here in Waterford earlier, really strong, blamed the farmer behind the house, really sulphury smell !!! Thought is was slurry??? Is there something bigger going on?

Its coming close to 2012 man
    we are f**ked and they won't tell the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Its coming close to 2012 man
    we are f**ked and they won't tell the truth!

Run for the hills ha ha ha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Hmm. As long as I can get home by next weekend, I'll be happy enough.
    It's weird being in London City and hearing no planes around.

If the volcano keeps going, there will be no rule changes for the flying bans - jet engines really do get quite screwed up by both the abrasion characteristics of the ash, and the melting/solidification of the silica components on the turbine blades. There's no getting away from that. Maybe Ryanair will buy back its fleet of puddlejumper turboprops that it started up with back in the 80's, those may be more suitable to flying in these conditions.

If the big neighbour of this volcano decides to awaken, we could be in for 'interesting times' as the ash volumes would be so much greater, combined with sulphuric acid components in the outgassing. That'll mean the elderly and infirm will be at risk from lung problems.
    If air transport is restricted, I'll miss fresh oranges and bananas and things like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You leave the shutter on the camera open for a long time, so you catch several minutes (or more) in the one picture.

See the streaks in the top left corner? Those are stars, or rather their tracks, as the earth rotates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Means they keep the shutter open longer...so you're really seeing a certain amount of time of imagery compressed into one image. Like see the way the sparks are making traces, trails of spark? That's the distance the spark travelled in the time the shutter was open, the camera picks up the whole 'track' of the spark as it flies out.

It's really the only way to capture things like lightning bolts etc. because they'd come and go by the time you could make an ordinary snap, blink and you miss them type things.

edit - beaten, and more articulately too :) and yeah, those 'sparks' are stars :p

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭GinaH

A Swedish friend has been told that she can not fly until the 26th ??? A colleague has booked to fly to Jersey tuesday afternoon, does anyone know anything about timelines or is it totally unpredictable

• Advertisement

A Swedish friend has been told that she can not fly until the 26th ??? A colleague has booked to fly to Jersey tuesday afternoon, does anyone know anything about timelines or is it totally unpredictable
    I didnt know swedes good fly, pretty impressive ...
    :p

Advertisement