Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

and now, a word from our sponsors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

I was following the eruption live on a few link and they've all seemed to have gone of line.....anyone know whats going on???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8624464.stm
    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/
    http://www.ruv.is/hekla/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I watched the red sun set, very weird looking sunset with the sun sinking into the haze and turning red, also got that slight whiff of sulphur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yes, we had an upper haze the last few days but that cleared with the cloud sheet that passed over earlier today. Sky is more normal looking since this afternoon.

Tried to capture it on camera but not great. Lowered contrast to try and highlight it: (still crap)

At the moment it is taking on a distinct ripple effect. There is also more isolated blobs of it to my NW and W, but not reddening the sun as it is in Mothman's location.

Heard on the news earlier that there was some pretty serious forest fires above in Mayo so that probably explains the sheet of smoke that covered the eastern sky here earlier. Winds have been light northerly all evening which just adds to the surety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

del88 wrote: »
    I was following the eruption live on a few link and they've all seemed to have gone of line.....anyone know whats going on???

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8624464.stm
    http://eldgos.mila.is/eyjafjallajokull-fra-fimmvorduhalsi/
    http://www.ruv.is/hekla/

There's a working link here:

http://www.mulakot.net/myndavelar.html

You have to refresh it though. It's been kicking up dirty stuff quite a lot the last while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sky's Greg Milam, who is close to the volcano, said they are trying to get an idea of whether the intensity is lessening.

"What they will be hoping is that the wind might at some point change direction and strength and bring some respite to Europe," he said.

"This sort of eruption could go on for days, weeks, maybe months.

"As long as this continues to happen and the ash continues to be thrown up with such intensity it is very difficult for anyone to predict what will happen next.

"The big fear here is that the nearby sister volcano Katla could erupt.

"It is much bigger, the flooding would be worse and the ash cloud would also be much worse

Sky news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

So, when does the imported fruit & veg start running out in the shops? This is starting to get serious...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Su Campu wrote: »
    I presume the Champions League games will be off this week too if this continues?

i never thought of that. now it is a catastrophe:p

but seriously if big brother beside it erupts, as it has in the past, then things could become very grave indeed:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

arctictree wrote: »
    So, when does the imported fruit & veg start running out in the shops? This is starting to get serious...

Dont forget that shipping is the primary method of transportation for food, believe it or not. Companies such as Fyffes mainly use ships to transport their products. Ships these days can have huge refrigerator units.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Drama queen.;)

• Advertisement

Dont forget that shipping is the primary method of transportation for food, believe it or not. Companies such as Fyffes mainly use ships to transport their products. Ships these days can have huge refrigerator units.;)

Phew, thought we were going to run out of bananas there for a sec. :)

but seriously if big brother beside it erupts, as it has in the past, then things could become very grave indeed:(

but exciting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

i'm getting married in two weeks and the best man is supposed to fly in from new zealand this thursday, so i'm really really hoping that the winds will change or things will start to clear up in time! maybe if we all start blowing at it together we can get this thing to move back up north :D

kevin12345 wrote: »

There are wrong. What is actually happening is that Climate Scientists are inventing this volcanic ash to stop planes from flying over Europe for a few days so they can monitor the effect this may have on surface temperatures. Once this measurement is complete, they will give the all clear and tell the world the eruption has stopped and that it will be safe to fly again.

Wait and see, I will be right...;)

There are wrong. What is actually happening is that Climate Scientists are inventing this volcanic ash to stop planes from flying over Europe for a few days so they can monitor the effect this may have on surface temperatures. Once this measurement is complete, they will give the all clear and tell the world the eruption has stopped and that it will be safe to fly again.

either the way the governments cant be trusted :p

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Interesting as the conspiracy theories are, I do think the people of Iceland might have noticed a volcano not erupting when the rest of Europe is talking about it...

A nice tune with a volcanic themed video the keep us in that volcanic mood:

Great belly dancing music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Franks RedHot sauce is flown in from the US, Ive been panic buying it.

Interesting as the conspiracy theories are, I do think the people of Iceland might have noticed a volcano not erupting when the rest of Europe is talking about it...

They aren't saying they didn't erupt but more so did something "cause" them to erupt :rolleyes: I don't know...all very confusing! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

kevin12345 wrote: »
    They aren't saying they didn't erupt but more so did something "cause" them to erupt :rolleyes: I don't know...all very confusing! :confused:

you'd need a **** load of baking soda to fake that baby...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

We voted for the Lisbon Treaty even though nobody understood it and now it's being implemented. The planes are being downed in and out of Europe and all they have to do now is stop the ships and then we are well on our way to creating a self sufficient EU. The penalty Ireland gets for not voting it in the first time is no tunnel to the rest of Europe. I hope the spud crop doesn't fail ths year!!!!

I should have gone to the pub rather than finishing off a bottle of wine at home.

A nice tune with a volcanic themed video the keep us in that volcanic mood:

Great belly dancing music :)

Great band paddy1. have you ever seen them live?

Yes, we had an upper haze the last few days but that cleared with the cloud sheet that passed over earlier today. Sky is more normal looking since this afternoon.

Tried to capture it on camera but not great. Lowered contrast to try and highlight it: (still crap)

At the moment it is taking on a distinct ripple effect. There is also more isolated blobs of it to my NW and W, but not reddening the sun as it is in Mothman's location.

Heard on the news earlier that there was some pretty serious forest fires above in Mayo so that probably explains the sheet of smoke that covered the eastern sky here earlier. Winds have been light northerly all evening which just adds to the surety.

so you are answering your own questions and posts now:( i wonder is it due to what's in the air, due to the volcano, or is it simply that your mind is disintegrating from living in the ninth circle of hell that is Galway:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Su Campu wrote: »
    :eek: WOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

that is an angry looking mountain.

Expect a "political solution" to begin to emerge tomorrow. All EU states are making their own decisions at the moment and no doubt the EC will start to get involved. The economic costs must be colossal :eek: US (FAA) rules would only stop flying in the known ash cloud, with some restrictions close to it, rather than a take a "zero risk" aproach to it. No damage has occurred to the few military and civil aircraft that have flown in the currently "closed" airspace - obviously noboby's going into the ash cloud itself, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

irish1967 wrote: »
    As a worst case senerio you have really to imagine Europe without air transport for the next 3-6 months. Might sound a bit drastic but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. Take every visitor from the states outta the equation. Take out nipping across to the uk for a days business. Take out your post and papers flying in. Air ambulances and air sea rescue gone. Forget about summer holidays abroad. Would hate to have tickets for a world cup game !! This eruption does have the potential to ground air travel till Christmas or even beyond.

Dramatising; we do have sea traffic,

I am sure ship owners will swiftly cash in on the situation; so most of what you say here is not valid.

Nothing that we cannot easily adapt to.

Not a catastrophe in any real way.. We lived without aircraft for many centuries after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ch750536 wrote: »
    Do not wash your car or let the kids write their name in the dust, it will severely scratch the paint.

Either leave it alone (driving may shift it) or clean by throwing water over it to rinse it first.

Learnt this the hard way a few years back.

Thanks for this; a Californian man told me the same y;day. He was there when St Helena blew so knows these things.

Will tell the cats to keep off the car too...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Graces7 wrote: »
    Dramatising; we do have sea traffic,

I am sure ship owners will swiftly cash in on the situation; so most of what you say here is not valid.

Nothing that we cannot easily adapt to.

Not a catastrophe in any real way.. We lived without aircraft for many centuries after all.

With respect, that is myopic. For the past 40 years the European economy has adapted to air travel. To suddenly make a 21st century economy confine itself to the outmoded systems of the 1930s, 40s and 50s will not be good. We are terribly vulnerable right now; the sooner this thing dissipates the better.

Advertisement