Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

kevin12345 wrote: »
    its not just the density of the cloud that they are worried about, it's really the particles incase they get jammed in the engines...:rolleyes:

well isn't it better to take the chance and see if it goes wrong. what do the experts know anyway. it's worth the risk so airlines can get back to making money.
    afterall people merely exist to serve an economy not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

well isn't it better to take the chance and see if it goes wrong. what do the experts know anyway. it's worth the risk so airlines can get back to making money.

Easy say "sur isn't it worth the risk" when that risk causes the death of a number of people :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

peasant wrote: »
    Ironically, if you were to transfer all European air movements to the ground (people and goods) there would probably be a significant increase in road traffic accidents. But these we take for granted and they are usually nowhere near as spectacular as a plane falling out of the sky so they go unreported.

A very good point. About 40,000 people die on the road every year in the EU. That's the equivalent of 200 plane crashes. And yet we tune it out. Admittedly road deaths are falling, but not fast enough. Roll on autonomous cars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well put Nacho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If one autonomous car was the crash, the manufacturer would prob have to stop producing. Human error is okay though :pac:

• Advertisement

Easy say "sur isn't it worth the risk" when that risk causes the death of a number of people :rolleyes:

He was being sarcastic, It's a Nacho thing.. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Eyjafjallajokull could bang on for years...or stop tomorrow. Its neigbour Ole Dirty Bastard could possibly erupt too.

Speaking of Ole Dirty Bastard, have a look at the latest seismic data.

eyja_trem_auto.png

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dk-matai/risk-of-katla-could-a-2nd_b_541755.html
    The eruptions of the comparatively small Eyjafjallajökull glacier volcano in Iceland have historically preceded massive eruptions by the more feared Mount Katla. Experts are concerned that the present volcanic eruption could trigger activity at Mount Katla, which is potentially much more dangerous.

Its last major eruption was in 1918.

Icelandic volcanologists consider it plausible that Katla may erupt, and that is why they are monitoring Katla very closely right now. There are eruption channels between Eyjafjallajökull and Katla and magma could shoot into the Katla volcano. Katla might only need a nudge. Effects of Katla's eruption would put the present air travel chaos in the shade, inflicting much greater economic losses upon Europe.

Deposits from the ash cloud formed by Katla when it erupted spectacularly in 1755 can still be found in peat bogs in Shetland and other parts of northern Europe.

He was being sarcastic, It's a Nacho thing.. ;)

well now i know :o:p

you do realise i was being sarcastic, don't you?
    you're right those in the airline industry who want flights to resume, contrary to the scientific advice, are nasty pieces of work in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Ironically, if you were to transfer all European air movements to the ground (people and goods) there would probably be a significant increase in road traffic accidents. But these we take for granted and they are usually nowhere near as spectacular as a plane falling out of the sky so they go unreported.

Everybody knows the risk is a lot higher when you drive a car or lorry, but as i said earlier today the Titanic knew the risk it had with
    icebergs
    and still it went on full steam ahead to get to the states on record time. Life is cheap when you are talking billions for these
    company's

• Advertisement

you do realise i was being sarcastic, don't you?
    you're right those in the airline industry who want flights to resume, contrary to the scientific advice, are nasty pieces of work in my opinion.

yes i do :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well there's definately something here because before the sun set the sky was clear as ever now ythat it is setting the sky is pure orange and is hazy you can barely see mountains because of it even though it's broad daylight

well now i know :o:p

Yep, but to weaken him, just mention the word "snow" and he becomes a blubbering mess! :pac:

owenc wrote: »
    Well there's definately something here because before the sun set the sky was clear as ever now ythat it is setting the sky is pure orange and is hazy you can barely see mountains because of it even though it's broad daylight

images.php?country=gb&sat=vis&1220912561562

Yes, I was wondering if that thin veil of cloud approaching the north coast might be something? Is there any cloud (high white) to your north Owen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Just had a heavy burst of rain here in Offaly.

Whats chances of ash in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

owenc wrote: »
    apparently thats the ash and if most people in the uk and ireland are reporting this then it must be the ash..

like I warned before, be very careful not to scratch the car by cleaning \ writing 'clean me' on it. It will permanently scratch the car.

Throw buckets of water over it first.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Speaking of Ole Dirty Bastard, have a look at the latest seismic data.

eyja_trem_auto.png

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dk-matai/risk-of-katla-could-a-2nd_b_541755.html

Sorry to quote such a big pic, but any chance someone could interpret this for us? How significant are the increasing peaks to the right of the graph as opposed to the ones to the left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

I was just wondering the same thing, based on these quakes, how likely is it that katla will erupt?

Are they definitely relating to Katla or to activity ongoing at little sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Diving Board

emfifty wrote: »
    It is times like these that show the kind of banana republic we live in.
    Apart from 'keeping the situation under review' the government are doing sweet f*** all. The Brits are ahead of the possie mobilising ships if necessary! Ok we may not have the same numbers stranded abroad but a decent response from gov is a minimum. Where the f**k is cowen. haven't seen him anywhere in the news. we are a f***ing embarrassment!:mad:

Keeping situation under review = Doing Jack £&%$!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

A nice video of the ash falls in Iceland here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

The beginning of the end? Iceland Met Office says the plume's been 10000ft or under since 8am (i.e. not detectable by radar).

http://en.vedur.is/about-imo/news/2010/nr/1881

That said they say seismic activity was ongoing, and was strong this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,589 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Does this sound overly conspiracy-theory to you ... it occurs to me that when the volcanic ash became an issue early in the week, many governments were looking at sending their leaders to Poland, and then may have begun to reconsider the wisdom of that not so much because of volcanic dust hazards to aircraft but for entirely different reasons -- possibly suspecting that something could go awry with the security there, even something related to the original causes of the triggering event (the aircraft crash in Russia).

It occurs to me that if suddenly on Monday everything is okay for flight supposedly, this could look rather suspicious in retrospect. I shall now be on the watch for Russian, EU, CIA, Canadian and Club of Rome types in my antechambers. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

The airline industry had a major contingency plan in place for such a scenario as we are seeing now... so I have to be very sceptical of some of the airlines - that are losing millions - now doing test flights and saying there is no danger.

The airlines are not the people who should be allowed to judge - their economc interests may just slighlty sway their judgements. I recall British Airways dirty tricks campaign against Branson's Virgin Atlantic - so in this scenario I would be even more concerned.

Nothing unusual about the sunset here at the moment... not as blood red as of late, but fairly normal.

Wonder how long it will be till we hear Sean Fitzpatrick couldn't get back on one of his free Aer Lingus flights so NAMA lent him the money to charter a luxury hovercraft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does this sound overly conspiracy-theory to you ... it occurs to me that when the volcanic ash became an issue early in the week, many governments were looking at sending their leaders to Poland, and then may have begun to reconsider the wisdom of that not so much because of volcanic dust hazards to aircraft but for entirely different reasons -- possibly suspecting that something could go awry with the security there, even something related to the original causes of the triggering event (the aircraft crash in Russia).

It occurs to me that if suddenly on Monday everything is okay for flight supposedly, this could look rather suspicious in retrospect. I shall now be on the watch for Russian, EU, CIA, Canadian and Club of Rome types in my antechambers. :eek:

So are you saying they pressed a button that made the volcano erupt cos they didnt want to go to a funeral.
    Oh and Conspiracy theories forum is that way --->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Elmo5 wrote: »
    I was just wondering the same thing, based on these quakes, how likely is it that katla will erupt?

Are they definitely relating to Katla or to activity ongoing at little sister?

The graphs indicates vertical movement of the ground around Katla (five stations, North, South, East West and Middle). The colours indicate different frequencies, the higher ones (blue and green lines) being more important. The higher peaks mean that the amplitude of the tremors (the amount the ground moves up and down) is increasing over the last 12-14 hours.

Generally an eruption is preceded by an increase in amplitude which suddenly falls off to near-zero. While the numbers don't tell us when an eruption will occur, they do suggest that the probability of an eruption is getting higher. However, the eruption might be huge or very minor.

This is all the stuff I've learned in the last few days and it might all be wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The graphs showing tremors are not just for Katla, they are showing tremors in the vicinity of the erupting Eyjafjallajökull.

Have a look at this graph which is over a longer period of time. You can see the big spike back on April 14th which was at the time that Eyjafjallajökull began the most recent phase of activity. Before the spike you can see there was an increase rise in tremors earlier in the day, it looks similar to the rise in tremors today so that might indicate some new activity is going to happen soon, or it might not indicate anything at all.

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/gosplott.html

andrew wrote: »
    Sorry to quote such a big pic, but any chance someone could interpret this for us? How significant are the increasing peaks to the right of the graph as opposed to the ones to the left?

Each graph represents a different location around the area. The colours represent different tremor frequencies - 1HZ = 1 beat per second. I guess different frequencies come from different depths, etc. So a tremor near the surface may have a high/low frequency, and so on.

Here's some more info

of course it all makes sense now. just as i missed all the signs that the hulkster was responsible for 9-11 -

1252688711-9_11_hulk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Thanks a million for the explanations! All makes sense now :D

• Advertisement

I must say, for a country with such a small population and such a harsh existence, they really have their house in order when it comes to seismic monitoring! ;)

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/

Carole Coleman interviewing Icelandic scientist this morning...
    Why did you not do anything to prevent this...could you not have doused the volcano down with water or something?

So will the Icelandic government be paying compensation for lost income to the airlines..? (Im paraphrasing her questions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Why did you not do anything to prevent this...could you not have doused the volcano down with water or something?

So will the Icelandic government be paying compensation for lost income to the airlines..? (Im paraphrasing her questions)

I nearly crashed the car listening to her, one of the funnest interview i have ever heard in years, she should stick to the economics,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Su Campu wrote: »
    I must say, for a country with such a small population and such a harsh existence, they really have their house in order when it comes to seismic monitoring! ;)

you would too if you were living on a volcano and you had the choice of being gassed, drowned , fried or suffocated the next minute without warning :D

Doused a volcano with water! :eek: By any chance is she blonde and a descendant of king Canute?

http://en.vedur.is/earthquakes-and-volcanism/earthquakes/

Icelandic met office one of the best in Europe imo. Like their Norwegian counterparts, they have a free policy of quality data. Despite their isolation and severe financial strain, there is obvious effort being pumped into scientific meteorological services as well as others. Puts our own met office to shame. Not that I blame them. What it does reflect is just what a tight arsed government and rulership we really have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UK restrictions extended to 7pm tomorrow.

snow ghost wrote: »
    Doused a volcano with water! :eek: By any chance is she blonde and a descendant of king Canute?

It's the fecking water from the melted glacier that has us in this situation in the first place!!! :rolleyes: are you sure this wasn't some sort of wind-up? She couldn't have been serious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Aw come on ... no one could be that dumb ... could they ??

Mind you another RTE reporter suggested we use the Naval Service to move people! I'm surprised Enda Kenny hasn't called for the aircraft carrier to be mobilised :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

OMG Are you serious!!!!!!!!!! Where can I hear the interview?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

images.php?country=gb&sat=vis&1220912561562

Yes, I was wondering if that thin veil of cloud approaching the north coast might be something? Is there any cloud (high white) to your north Owen?

oh aye have just noticed that there now, it is very rare looking its as if its raining as there is a layer of hazy cloud or something at the top layer then there is like a layer below that of black wall or something.. very hard to describe really rare anyway!

• Advertisement

It's the fecking water from the melted glacier that has us in this situation in the first place!!! :rolleyes: are you sure this wasn't some sort of wind-up? She couldn't have been serious!

Didn't hear the interview Su, if she was serious she should be sacked for such stupidity.

Now that the sun has gone down the horizon is a deep rusty orange - which isn't the usual - it's usual pinky red, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Previous planes to have problems with ash have were flying fairly close to the source - Moody's flight in '82 was affected by severe St Elmo's fire before the engines shut down, which illustrates that. And planes take off in sand and dust storms, part of which contains silica, all the time in desert areas without problem.

I welcome the utmost caution taken by the authorities this weekend, they were right to do sit it out and see what happened. But in reality what has happened? Nothing. No coverings of volcanic ash as predicted (yes there were some reports in England but not what you'd call much). QUOTE]
    SU dont Ryanair(i know dey suspended flights till Wed)& Air Fungus hav a turnaround of between 35&60 mins at dublin which would mean alot of hours in the air per day,so how would the engines&body be after that much flight time in ash clouds do u think?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Now that the sun has gone down the horizon is a deep rusty orange - which isn't the usual - it's usual pinky red, etc.

I saw that here too, was really an orange amazing sunset like i've never seen before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Didn't hear the interview Su, if she was serious she should be sacked for such stupidity.

What time was Carole Coleman on and was it RTE1 Radio ???

If between 11am and 1 pm it was the Marion finucane program here

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_marianfinucane.xml

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

roryc1 wrote: »
    I nearly crashed the car listening to her, one of the funnest interview i have ever heard in years, she should stick to the economics,

she should do some research:rolleyes:

slap the woman silly for such a stupid question

what was the scientist's response?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Even if airlines didn't give a hoot about passenger safety (which I doubt) you can bet your behind that they do worry about their precious planes.

What good would it be to them to get all their planes in the air only to find them all queueing for maintenance the next day because the ash did do some damage after all?

I don't think they are taking this lightly when they are questioning the current restrictions.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    she should do some research:rolleyes:

slap the woman silly for such a stupid question

what was the scientist's response?

I think he was trying hard not to laugh.

Even if airlines didn't give a hoot about passenger safety (which I doubt) you can bet your behind that they do worry about their precious planes.

What good would it be to them to get all their planes in the air only to find them all queueing for maintenance the next day because the ash did do some damage after all?

I don't think they are taking this lightly when they are questioning the current restrictions.

well perhaps they figure it's worth the risk. they obviously don't forsee major damage occurring to their planes. yet if i was a passenger i wouldn't be putting my trust in them as to the safety of flying. if there is even a slight risk to human live it's too great in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dave_connolly3

What time was the Carol Coleman interview on?
    Was it radio 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

andrew wrote: »

http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/eyja_trem_auto.png

To add to the explanations by others. ... here's the location codes to the above graph (updated every 10mins).

god = Godabunga
    esk = Eystri-Skogar
    mid = Mid-Mork
    hvo = Lagu-Hvolar
    hau = Haukadalur

You can see where they are in relation to the volcanos on this map...
    http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/Katla2009/Myrdalsjokull.jpg ...look for the the black triangles (SIL-Stöðvar ... SIL: The Icelandic seismic network ...Stöðvar: Stations)

NOTE ... Haukadalur is off the above map to the Northwest.

Full map with all stations available here....
    http://hraun.vedur.is/ja/englishweb/tremor.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement