Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Iceland Volcano Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Su Campu wrote: »

I can't get either of those two webcam links to work, is anyone else having that problem? What's it doing this evening, still the same?

Same here all afternoon :(.

I am not sure if it is due to the bog fires today, but there seems to be a thin layer of something (seems low the mid level based) extending along the entire eastern horizon. Kinda browny in colour. Anyone else notice this? or is it just a local thing? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Imagine you are on holiday on a shoestring. I'm sure there are people stranded with little or no money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just looking at those latest cams, is it just me or is the plume not reaching as high as previously. Seems to be moving laterally instead of upwards, like smoke from a chimney hitting an inversion on a cold night. If it did that then things could improve down the road. (Hopecasting again):rolleyes:

EDIT: Nevermind, according to the Met Office its reaching the ground in England!:o

Although the risk is very low, the odd scattered convective shower can't be ruled out tomorrow afternoon and evening. Will be interesting to see (if they do spring up) if there will be any depositiation afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I am not sure if it is due to the bog fires today, but there seems to be a thin layer of something (seems low the mid level based) extending along the entire eastern horizon. Kinda browny in colour. Anyone else notice this? or is it just a local thing? :confused:
    No unless what I'm looking at is gorse smoke from Wicklow Mountains. Its west of me and its almost obscured the sun. The sun is a red disk and its no where near setting. Its a thick brown cloud. Never seen the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Starting to rain in Dongeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Hi...does anyone have a working webcam of the volcano because none of them work for me :rolleyes: they just keep loading :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mothman wrote: »
    No unless what I'm looking at is gorse smoke from Wicklow Mountains. Its west of me and its almost obscured the sun. The sun is a red disk and its no where near setting. Its a thick brown cloud. Never seen the like
    I now think this is a more local volcano in the region of Roundwood. Probably a gorse fire

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Anyone else getting a funny smell, it's got very hazy, sandy looking in the sky here and a wierd smell at the same time :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Sure its not just a haze? There has been a haze here where I am in North Tipperary for the last few days with this fine weather. Long range visibility is reduced quite substantially during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sunset will look interesting if there's any dust high above

Here's a great Hi res (250m per pixel) MODIS satellite picture of it today...

111126.jpg

Sure its not just a haze? There has been a haze here where I am in North Tipperary for the last few days with this fine weather. Long range visibility is reduced quite substantially during the day.

Yes, we had an upper haze the last few days but that cleared with the cloud sheet that passed over earlier today. Sky is more normal looking since this afternoon.

Tried to capture it on camera but not great. Lowered contrast to try and highlight it: (still crap)

111127.jpg

At the moment it is taking on a distinct ripple effect. There is also more isolated blobs of it to my NW and W, but not reddening the sun as it is in Mothman's location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/8627661.stm

Two people have died after a light aircraft crashed and burst into flames in a field in Hampshire, UK

Twenty firefighters were called to the scene off Red Post Lane, Monxton near Andover shortly after 1720 BST.

Police are currently trying to trace where the aircraft took off from in order to identify those that died.

Private aircraft owners are strongly advised by the Civil Aviation Authority not to fly due to volcanic ash, however no legal restrictions are in force.

A Hampshire Police spokesman said: "It is too early to say whether ash was a factor but it will form part of the investigation."

He added that the light aircraft had come down in the field without causing any damage to power cables or other structures, and away from houses or farm buildings.

An Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) spokesman said investigators were at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dare it be said if the ash keeps on spewing out there could be no flights until next Saturday. Winds from the Iceland region will affect Europe until at least this time by current Forecasts.

This is all very interesting for a day or two but if it gets extended for a prolonged period it is going to cause severe problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/8627661.stm

Two people have died after a light aircraft crashed and burst into flames in a field in Hampshire, UK

Twenty firefighters were called to the scene off Red Post Lane, Monxton near Andover shortly after 1720 BST.

Police are currently trying to trace where the aircraft took off from in order to identify those that died.

Private aircraft owners are strongly advised by the Civil Aviation Authority not to fly due to volcanic ash, however no legal restrictions are in force.

A Hampshire Police spokesman said: "It is too early to say whether ash was a factor but it will form part of the investigation."

He added that the light aircraft had come down in the field without causing any damage to power cables or other structures, and away from houses or farm buildings.

An Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) spokesman said investigators were at the scene.

Oh ****. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting a funny smell, it's got very hazy, sandy looking in the sky here and a wierd smell at the same time :confused:

thought that myself too, a few mins ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The ash clouds may become dense enough to be visible in 2 days time. Latest forecast projections suggest pretty much as WC says - it will be at least after next Wednesday before flights can resume as normal.

Latest projection

http://met.no/filestore/animation_2010041700.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭John mac

gorse fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

John mac wrote: »
    gorse fire?

not in D15,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

A cool, reasonably recent pic of the dust situation:

http://www.dwd.de/bvbw/generator/Sites/DWDWWW/Content/Oeffentlichkeit/WV/WVFK/Dynamisches/Regional/meteStaubAktuellM00h,templateId=poster,property=poster.png

You can see the change in direction of the plume from the volcano. According to Wilson on Sky news the band off scotland is also dust, or contains dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

hellboy99 wrote: »

Bit of a smell here, can't see anything different from here anyway.

Is that a surveillance plane in the latest picture or just a bird??!! (top left)

111132.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This is all very interesting for a day or two but if it gets extended for a prolonged period it is going to cause severe problems.

Absolutely. Some people appear to think this is all great craic. In reality it is the makings of a catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Furet wrote: »
    Absolutely. Some people appear to think this is all great craic. In reality it is the makings of a catastrophe.
    In lay mans terms, how is it castrophe or how can it become one?

Deadly serious , just interested in whats in store as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Family are flying out on Wednesday from Dublin to Spain on Wednesday, will they be able to fly?

I presume the Champions League games will be off this week too if this continues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Su Campu wrote: »
    Is that a surveillance plane in the latest picture or just a bird??!! (top left)

111132.jpg
    That's Superman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Can confirm the odd smokey smell Hellboy mentioned .

Advertisement