Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N3-M50 interchange

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Jip wrote: »
    Well for me it means I have to start leaving early again ! Previously it was 30 minutes, sometimes a little more from house to O'Connell Street leaving around 8, now it's constantly 45 mins.

Like myself, you must have lived after where all the bottleknecks used to be.
    As a result of the improvements, the bottleknecks have moved closer to town and we now join the traffic flow before the bottlenecks now occur :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

the problem here is that about 1 - 2 years ago they changed all the traffic light sequences on the navan road after halfway house

They now basically stop traffic in all four directions for the green man where prior the green man was always with the traffic. Also they work completely independently of each other, meaning they don't seem to factor in times between traffic lights as they do in the states.

it is a nightmare each morning now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't think it's anything to do with the lights, it's simply traffic volume getting there much quicker now, as once you get to where the road narrows to one lane and a bus lane it moves much better, the main delay is getting to that point as two busy lanes of traffic have to merge into one. Then as there's a constant flow of traffic to the Halfway House roundabout any delay in getting through that, such as stream of traffic coming from the Ashtown Gate direction delaying things, traffic delays on the N3 just keep increasing.

Traffic is relatively rarely stopped getting through the roundabout due to the lights on the other side at that housing estate (Kempton is it ?) being red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think there's a yellow filter arrow if you're turning left from River Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

There's plenty of near misses I'd say, mainly caused by a certain type of tosser coming from Auburn Avenue onto the N3.

There's two clear signs at the junction, one saying city only. However any regular user will know that the queue of traffic wanting to turn right is always much shorter than people wanting to head towards Blanch so they skip the queue and then indicate left. People who have queued properly are then cut off by these dicks. But this has always been the case there, when the roundabout was there the road markings always indicated right turn only.

And then these idiots get pissed when someone cuts them off ?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I remember when the roundabout was there, people would try to head towards Blanch from the right lane coming into the roundabout and then blow you out of it if you try heading straight through to River Road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah I remember when the roundabout was there, people would try to head towards Blanch from the right lane coming into the roundabout and then blow you out of it if you try heading straight through to River Road.

Every bloody day! :mad:

• Advertisement

Thought I'd bump this. Not a huge amount of progress recently.

I know it comes in waves but it would be nice to see another section or two open soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Coming toward the M50 from town there's a lane on the left as you're coming up to the Auburn junction. This service is a disaster. Surely some sort of temporary something could be put down on this? The cars all over the place on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

http://m50.ie/index.php?page=n3-m50-free-flow-slip

New Free Flow slip road from Outbound N3 to Southbound M50 opening soon

Please be aware that a new free flow slip road from the outbound N3 to southbound M50 will open soon. This will enable traffic travelling outbound on the N3 wishing to join the southbound M50 to do so without having to use the existing roundabout. The opening date will be confirmed shortly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I took these a couple of weeks ago while out walking the canal.

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

cargo wrote: »
    http://m50.ie/index.php?page=n3-m50-free-flow-slip

New Free Flow slip road from Outbound N3 to Southbound M50 opening soon

Please be aware that a new free flow slip road from the outbound N3 to southbound M50 will open soon. This will enable traffic travelling outbound on the N3 wishing to join the southbound M50 to do so without having to use the existing roundabout. The opening date will be confirmed shortly.

It was open this evening when I was coming home

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Have to say, it starts becoming very messy with all these bends everywhere. It is even stranger than the N4 junction where they at least removed the roundabout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

bigar wrote: »
    Have to say, it starts becoming very messy with all these bends everywhere. It is even stranger than the N4 junction where they at least removed the roundabout.

N4 is far less complex, it is a freeflow junction of 2 major roads. N3 has 2 major roads, 3 minor roads, railway, canal, pedestrian walkways and a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Vic_08 wrote: »
    N4 is far less complex, it is a freeflow junction of 2 major roads. N3 has 2 major roads, 3 minor roads, railway, canal, pedestrian walkways and a gym.

and tennis courts...

Came through the junction this am and noticed a lot of near ready sections / slips etc so I'd say some of the movements will change on this soon. the up and over from M50 NB to City is getting very close to been finished off but obviously can't open until the M50 SB slip is diverted.

any provisional timescales on these changes?

• Advertisement

the up and over from M50 NB to City is getting very close to been finished off but obviously can't open until the M50 SB slip is diverted.

Hold on, isn't that not the M50 NB to N3 westbound? It loops right around and down again onto the new bridge they lifted into place over the M50
    If you're on the M50 NB and looking to head into the city, won't you still have to use the existing roundabout? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Heroditas wrote: »
    Hold on, isn't that not the M50 NB to N3 westbound? It loops right around and down again onto the new bridge they lifted into place over the M50
    If you're on the M50 NB and looking to head into the city, won't you still have to use the existing roundabout? :confused:

Ye, your right.

http://m50.ie/uploads/images/N3%20Alternative%20Final%20Proposal%20vf.jpg

Heroditas wrote: »
    Davy wrote: »

yep ye're right. didn't check just presumed it was heading off in that general direction. Actually makes it a bit easier to tie in so.

anyway any dates?

Last i heard october is still the planned finished time for the n3 junction

Yeah but I was only wondering when the next movement changes are been made etc

so is the pedestrian footbridge still straight across or is it the windy thing that was suggested in one of those diagrams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Random wrote: »
    so is the pedestrian footbridge still straight across or is it the windy thing that was suggested in one of those diagrams?
    It is still straight, but longer, though the eastern side will become some zig-zag thing later (with steps shortcut).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Ah! of course.... I forgot about the contractors taking the summer off!

Seriously though, this really cannot be true, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

It's nowhere near finished Simon, it's a mammoth job, getting it finished by October would actually be pretty impressive in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I presume October is when the Junction will be completely opened but I sure some sections will be opened before then??

I presume the N3 Inbound Freeflow should be opened before then...

Also does anyone know when Lane 1 will be opened under this junction heading NB??

celticbest wrote: »
    I presume October is when the Junction will be completely opened but I sure some sections will be opened before then??

I presume the N3 Inbound Freeflow should be opened before then...

Also does anyone know when Lane 1 will be opened under this junction heading NB??

M50 said it wouldn't reopen until the junction was complete. I assume this would mean when the M50NB to N3 outbound opens. These new lanes for the up and over and back around are beside this "lane 1" on the mainline so I presume they'll all have to open together.

• Advertisement

Taken yesterday:

104q68p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Wheaven

Came through the junction this am and noticed a lot of near ready sections / slips etc so I'd say some of the movements will change on this soon. the up and over from M50 NB to City

Correct me if I am wrong but M50 Northbound onto N3 City will still use the N3 Roundabout.

Northbound Slip over M50 will bring you to Navan & Cavan N3/M3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've been trying to figure out that crappy photomontage on the M50 website but can anyone confirm what's going to happen for N3 outbound traffic? Inbound looks great, you get a free pass to Auburn Avenue but from what I can see, outbound will still have to go through 4 traffic lights. One at Auburn Avenue, two on the existing M50 roundabout (at the same places you have to stop now) and a forth at the Blanchardstown junction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

I've been trying to figure out that crappy photomontage on the M50 website but can anyone confirm what's going to happen for N3 outbound traffic? Inbound looks great, you get a free pass to Auburn Avenue but from what I can see, outbound will still have to go through 4 traffic lights. One at Auburn Avenue, two on the existing M50 roundabout (at the same places you have to stop now) and a forth at the Blanchardstown junction?
    Yup, N3 outbound isn't great. But all traffic coming from the M50 in both directions heading towards the N3 outbound will bypass the roundabout so the roundabout will be a lot emptier.

and a forth at the Blanchardstown junction?

From What I can see at Blanch Village there will be no or minimal lights as from Blanch Village you will go under the N3 Outbound.

Heading outbound from the N3/M50 Roundabout there will be no lights as you will pass over the Road coming from Blanch Village and then Merge with Traffic that has come off the M50(northbound heading Navan / Cavan).

how will you go under the n3 outbound from blanch? i can't see where they've started any work on this or would have room?

Looking at the photomontage, there's no bridge there Just a set of lights.

Random wrote: »
    how will you go under the n3 outbound from blanch? i can't see where they've started any work on this or would have room?

Blanchardstown Village inbound to city will go under the N3 Outbound , N3 Outbound from N3/M50 will go over this road on a small overbridge and then merge with the new section, I know it is a very tight area, but if you look closely at this junction that is what seems to be happening.

Wheaven wrote: »
    Blanchardstown Village inbound to city will go under the N3 Outbound , N3 Outbound from N3/M50 will go over this road on a small overbridge and then merge with the new section, I know it is a very tight area, but if you look closely at this junction that is what seems to be happening.

But, all the bridges are shown in grey, there appears to be no bridge there.

All Major Overbridge have been marked in Grey, as this is a small overbridge they have not highlighted in Grey, if this junction was going to stay with lights, then why bother with the pronounced curve as shown in Photo of the road coming from blanchardstown village heading inbound to city and N3/M50 Roundabout.

• Advertisement

All Major Overbridge have been marked in Grey, as this is a small overbridge they have not highlighted in Grey, if this junction was going to stay with lights, then why bother with the pronounced curve as shown in Photo of the road coming from blanchardstown village heading inbound to city and N3/M50 Roundabout.

Don't forget, that junction has already been rebuilt as it used to be a roundabout, as for the curve, safety!

Inbound looks great, you get a free pass to Auburn Avenue but from what I can see, outbound will still have to go through 4 traffic lights. One at Auburn Avenue, two on the existing M50 roundabout (at the same places you have to stop now) and a forth at the Blanchardstown junction?
    I don't think that there will be lights on the N3/M50 roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

daymobrew wrote: »

You think they'll be removing them? I'd love you to be right, but I haven't seen any suggestion of this. In similar situations (M1/M50) the lights have remained even though the roundabout carries less traffic afterwards.

Don't forget, that junction has already been rebuilt as it used to be a roundabout, as for the curve, safety!

Hi, I understand junction has been rebuilt and was formerly a roundabout but traffic lights are temporary if you look closely at full N3 photomontage on M50.ie, when all works are finished in this area you will no longer be able to turn Right into Blanchardstown Village coming from Clonee /Navan as where you currently turn former roundabout now traffic lights will be removed as Slip Road from M50 heading to Navan / Cavan will cut through this Junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Hi, I understand junction has been rebuilt and was formerly a roundabout but traffic lights are temporary if you look closely at full N3 photomontage on M50.ie, when all works are finished in this area you will no longer be able to turn Right into Blanchardstown Village coming from Clonee /Navan as where you currently turn former roundabout now traffic lights will be removed as Slip Road from M50 heading to Navan / Cavan will cut through this Junction.

There is definately not going to be a bridge at this junctions (...and it most probably will be signalised)!!! I pass it multiple times/week and you can clearly see the new layout emerging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

daymobrew wrote: »

What makes you think that?

Traffic will still be coming up the M50 southbound slip road (i.e. traffic that is going into Blanchardstown village and not heading to Navan/Cavan) so there will have to be lights or at least a yield and as it's still a decent sized roundabout with the traffic more than likely traveling at speed, I'd say they'll have to have lights.

Likewise at the first set out lights that outbound N3 traffic hit on this roundabout will probably have to stay as there will be some traffic, albeit light volumes wanting to get around.

Actually in my original post I said it looked like there'll be 4 stopping points for outbound N3 traffic. I actually think now that it'll be 5 as I left out the junction at the gym/hospital.

2u91suw.jpg

sgsh9x.jpg

315bdef.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They must have rebuilt this junction about 10 times, over 15yrs. One bad design after another. Will there ever be an entrance to the hospital there?

What makes you think that?

Traffic will still be coming up the M50 southbound slip road (i.e. traffic that is going into Blanchardstown village and not heading to Navan/Cavan) so there will have to be lights or at least a yield and as it's still a decent sized roundabout with the traffic more than likely traveling at speed, I'd say they'll have to have lights.
    I'd dig up some drawings if I could find them.
    I assumed that we'd be merging like at N7 and N4 junctions. They don't have lights.
    I realise that they don't have a roundabout structure, but merging of two roads occurs at multiple points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Really not the prettiest junction in the world is it? :D

Advertisement