Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N3-M50 interchange

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

where on the n3 junction is the photo taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

ipodrocker wrote: »
    where on the n3 junction is the photo taken?

Here, looking north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

chewed wrote: »
    Here's a photo from Feb 18th

4379604779_c2bc9af499_b.jpg

Good photo, it reminds me of the film Speed for some reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭cargo

Does it not mean that at all lights?

:D

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The problem there is, from the point of view of coming inbound on the N3 wanting to turn right into Blanch village, is that the light sequence is ridiculously short. In the evenings if the first driver in the queue is not ready to go like he/she is in a race, only two or three cars will get through on green, if even. This leads to frustration in having to wait again for so long and some people will just go through on red. A bit of sensible timing there will ease that problem.

Anyway, the bad traffic has now seemed to have shifted to the other side of the M50 inbound these days. You can get through to the Auburn Avenue junction quite fast these but it means that traffic on the otherside gets backed up very quickly, the last few mornings it has been backed up to where the travellers site is, way before the petrol station. This is a right pain in the arse as lots of dicks will either do the up and over on the bridge or just go down the bus lane.

I don't think it has anything to do with the no right turns as the vast majority of traffic is heading right into the city.

A sign of things to come when the free flow arrives, i.e. the traffic congestion will just be shifted to the Halfway House roundabout as that can't cope with the increased traffic volume arriving so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Jip wrote: »
    A sign of things to come when the free flow arrives, i.e. the traffic congestion will just be shifted to the Halfway House roundabout as that can't cope with the increased traffic volume arriving so soon.
    I think you are 100% right with that! There's only so much you can do with an overwhelming torrent of traffic through overpasses and green waves if the cars are all headed for a 1 lane road at the end of it all.
    The only real way to ease the congestion problem inbound on the N3, inside the M50 is to reduce the number of cars.

At least with the park and ride coming online at Pace just off the M3 the motorists will have a choice on whether to go to town by road or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The problem there is, from the point of view of coming inbound on the N3 wanting to turn right into Blanch village, is that the light sequence is ridiculously short. In the evenings if the first driver in the queue is not ready to go like he/she is in a race, only two or three cars will get through on green, if even. This leads to frustration in having to wait again for so long and some people will just go through on red. A bit of sensible timing there will ease that problem.

Anyway, the bad traffic has now seemed to have shifted to the other side of the M50 inbound these days. You can get through to the Auburn Avenue junction quite fast these but it means that traffic on the otherside gets backed up very quickly, the last few mornings it has been backed up to where the travellers site is, way before the petrol station. This is a right pain in the arse as lots of dicks will either do the up and over on the bridge or just go down the bus lane.

I don't think it has anything to do with the no right turns as the vast majority of traffic is heading right into the city.

I've noticed this too.
    All this has actually managed to increase my travel time to work.
    I join the N4 at Woodies and exit at Blanchardstown and work by the Phoenix Park.
    Due to the improvements on the main lines, the N4 is now backed up from Palmerstown so I crawl in the N4, the upgrades at the N3 junction means I sit on the M50 for ages waiting to get off it and then have to crawl in the N3 as far as the Halfway House!
    Travel time has increased from 15-20mins to sometimes well over 45mins. :(

I might have to reconsider my route and come in via the back roads up by Castleknock Hotel etc

Well for me it means I have to start leaving early again ! Previously it was 30 minutes, sometimes a little more from house to O'Connell Street leaving around 8, now it's constantly 45 mins.

• Advertisement

Well for me it means I have to start leaving early again ! Previously it was 30 minutes, sometimes a little more from house to O'Connell Street leaving around 8, now it's constantly 45 mins.

Like myself, you must have lived after where all the bottleknecks used to be.
    As a result of the improvements, the bottleknecks have moved closer to town and we now join the traffic flow before the bottlenecks now occur :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

the problem here is that about 1 - 2 years ago they changed all the traffic light sequences on the navan road after halfway house

They now basically stop traffic in all four directions for the green man where prior the green man was always with the traffic. Also they work completely independently of each other, meaning they don't seem to factor in times between traffic lights as they do in the states.

it is a nightmare each morning now.

I don't think it's anything to do with the lights, it's simply traffic volume getting there much quicker now, as once you get to where the road narrows to one lane and a bus lane it moves much better, the main delay is getting to that point as two busy lanes of traffic have to merge into one. Then as there's a constant flow of traffic to the Halfway House roundabout any delay in getting through that, such as stream of traffic coming from the Ashtown Gate direction delaying things, traffic delays on the N3 just keep increasing.

Traffic is relatively rarely stopped getting through the roundabout due to the lights on the other side at that housing estate (Kempton is it ?) being red.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,884 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think there's a yellow filter arrow if you're turning left from River Road.

There's plenty of near misses I'd say, mainly caused by a certain type of tosser coming from Auburn Avenue onto the N3.

There's two clear signs at the junction, one saying city only. However any regular user will know that the queue of traffic wanting to turn right is always much shorter than people wanting to head towards Blanch so they skip the queue and then indicate left. People who have queued properly are then cut off by these dicks. But this has always been the case there, when the roundabout was there the road markings always indicated right turn only.

And then these idiots get pissed when someone cuts them off ?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,884 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I remember when the roundabout was there, people would try to head towards Blanch from the right lane coming into the roundabout and then blow you out of it if you try heading straight through to River Road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah I remember when the roundabout was there, people would try to head towards Blanch from the right lane coming into the roundabout and then blow you out of it if you try heading straight through to River Road.

Every bloody day! :mad:

• Advertisement

Thought I'd bump this. Not a huge amount of progress recently.

I know it comes in waves but it would be nice to see another section or two open soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Coming toward the M50 from town there's a lane on the left as you're coming up to the Auburn junction. This service is a disaster. Surely some sort of temporary something could be put down on this? The cars all over the place on it.

http://m50.ie/index.php?page=n3-m50-free-flow-slip

New Free Flow slip road from Outbound N3 to Southbound M50 opening soon

Please be aware that a new free flow slip road from the outbound N3 to southbound M50 will open soon. This will enable traffic travelling outbound on the N3 wishing to join the southbound M50 to do so without having to use the existing roundabout. The opening date will be confirmed shortly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I took these a couple of weeks ago while out walking the canal.

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

cargo wrote: »
    http://m50.ie/index.php?page=n3-m50-free-flow-slip

New Free Flow slip road from Outbound N3 to Southbound M50 opening soon

Please be aware that a new free flow slip road from the outbound N3 to southbound M50 will open soon. This will enable traffic travelling outbound on the N3 wishing to join the southbound M50 to do so without having to use the existing roundabout. The opening date will be confirmed shortly.

It was open this evening when I was coming home

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Have to say, it starts becoming very messy with all these bends everywhere. It is even stranger than the N4 junction where they at least removed the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

bigar wrote: »
    Have to say, it starts becoming very messy with all these bends everywhere. It is even stranger than the N4 junction where they at least removed the roundabout.

N4 is far less complex, it is a freeflow junction of 2 major roads. N3 has 2 major roads, 3 minor roads, railway, canal, pedestrian walkways and a gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Vic_08 wrote: »
    N4 is far less complex, it is a freeflow junction of 2 major roads. N3 has 2 major roads, 3 minor roads, railway, canal, pedestrian walkways and a gym.

and tennis courts...

Came through the junction this am and noticed a lot of near ready sections / slips etc so I'd say some of the movements will change on this soon. the up and over from M50 NB to City is getting very close to been finished off but obviously can't open until the M50 SB slip is diverted.

any provisional timescales on these changes?

• Advertisement

cargo wrote: »
    the up and over from M50 NB to City is getting very close to been finished off but obviously can't open until the M50 SB slip is diverted.

Hold on, isn't that not the M50 NB to N3 westbound? It loops right around and down again onto the new bridge they lifted into place over the M50
    If you're on the M50 NB and looking to head into the city, won't you still have to use the existing roundabout? :confused:

Advertisement