Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

N3-M50 interchange

1911131415

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 Irish and Proud


    dolanbaker wrote: »
    But, all the bridges are shown in grey, there appears to be no bridge there.

    ...and there's a stop line on the N3 outbound - an underpass would be nice, but there's no indication of any such thing as per the drawing.

    Regards!


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭ Stark


    BluntGuy wrote: »
    Really not the prettiest junction in the world is it? :D

    I think it will look quite impressive when it's cleaned up actually.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 31,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭ dolanbaker


    Stark wrote: »
    I think it will look quite impressive when it's cleaned up actually.

    It's getting close to this!.. ;)

    spaghetti_junction.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭ Stark


    Pfft, that one doesn't have a gym.


  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭ kwinabeeste


    Any idea of when the interchange will open?

    I went into Blanchardstown Centre today from M50 northbound. Was torture getting off the M50. Was bad going into town along the N3 where the construction is happening.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 7,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭ Gaspode


    Anyone notice a big sign indicating the way to 'New River Road'?
    There is no such road, it's simply River Road and there's sure as hell nothing new about it!
    There is a New Dunsink Lane alright mind you, that's there since the M50 was first built.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭ BostonB


    They should have made two interchanges. One for the M50 and another bringing all the small local roads together. Doing it all in one junction is a nightmare. Local traffic gets tangled in the traffic moving between the major roads N3/M50


  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭ ciaran75


    Any idea of when the interchange will open?
    .

    from the main m50 upgrade thread n3 city bound traffic will be diverted onto the new slip road on tueday 13th july

    about 8 weeks later m50 southbound will also be diverted over new bridges

    think october for full completion


  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭ kwinabeeste


    ciaran75 wrote: »
    from the main m50 upgrade thread n3 city bound traffic will be diverted onto the new slip road on tueday 13th july

    about 8 weeks later m50 southbound will also be diverted over new bridges

    think october for full completion

    Cool - so any northbound traffic on M50 to N3 will have a longer wait? :mad:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭ rolion


    Bad design...

    1. Coming from N3 -> M50 -> city ,you'll have a traffic light just after driving down the bridge,bang you have to drive slowly as you'll not see the traffic stopped at lights...stopping for traffic from left / right ,all peak traffic will be reaching in length beyond M50 actual junction...

    2. Coming from city -> M50 -> N3,you'll have 3 traffic lights sets: at Auburn Avenue,then current roundabout over M50 ,then Blanch junction....a really mess at peak times,in the evening ! I mean,traffic joining from M50 north ,from City and for Blanch village,all combined on a single road ! ? ?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,836 ✭✭✭✭ ThisRegard


    Would you not at least wait till the junction is completed before slating it ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭ daymobrew


    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Would you not at least wait till the junction is completed before slating it ?
    +1

    I remember someone (probably from NRA) saying that upgrading the M50 while keeping it open was "like doing open heart surgery on someone while they were running a marathon".


  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ The Dark Knight


    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Would you not at least wait till the junction is completed before slating it ?

    No... I agree with "rolion".
    I think the design is extreamly poor, and it is well worth talking about.
    One of the most popular traffic flows (N3 Out) through this roundabout has not been improved one bit.

    This only issues is that not enough people protested against the design when it was proposed.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭ BostonB


    They need another flyover to take traffic exiting from Blanchardstown/The Bell direction over across the N3, and on to the N3 towards town. Then they could remove the lights and that junction completely. Theres no room for a flyover though.

    Maybe they'll close that exit from Blanch completely.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭ jack presley


    BostonB wrote: »
    They need another flyover to take traffic exiting from Blanchardstown/The Bell direction over across the N3, and on to the N3 towards town. Then they could remove the lights and that junction completely. Theres no room for a flyover though.
    .

    And the money for that will come from where exactly?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭ BostonB


    And the money for that will come from where exactly?

    I can only rant about one subject at a time.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭ rolion


    No offence...but traffic for M50 South and North has been major,big time improved with the current design !

    BUT...the major traffic flow is (Navan) M3 / N3 -> M50 -> City Center and not M50s ! At least that's the way i see it since now 10 years ago !
    So rather than improving this flow,they are moving the bottlenecks from here,there...

    As far as i rememebr (when Anglos had the moneys) there supposed to be two bridges :

    -one for Auburn Avenue / Little Chef bridge or tunnel for allowing Blanch -> City to flow directly,under it,with no stops at all,joining main road being somewhere beside Petrol station...
    -other for Blanch Village -> N3/M50/City for local traffic going in to any directions.

    But,time will talk of course...as today,at 3pm the traffic was queuing on the new built bridge over train / M50 already... don't get me started talking on roundabouts with traffic lights !

    Regards.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭ jack presley


    rolion wrote: »
    No offence...but traffic for M50 South and North has been major,big time improved with the current design !

    BUT...the major traffic flow is (Navan) M3 / N3 -> M50 -> City Center and not M50s ! At least that's the way i see it since now 10 years ago !
    So rather than improving this flow,they are moving the bottlenecks from here,there...

    As far as i rememebr (when Anglos had the moneys) there supposed to be two bridges :

    -one for Auburn Avenue / Little Chef bridge or tunnel for allowing Blanch -> City to flow directly,under it,with no stops at all,joining main road being somewhere beside Petrol station...
    -other for Blanch Village -> N3/M50/City for local traffic going in to any directions.

    But,time will talk of course...as today,at 3pm the traffic was queuing on the new built bridge over train / M50 already... don't get me started talking on roundabouts with traffic lights !

    Regards.

    Summer time = less traffic.

    Every route in the city probably looks great these days. Let's wait until the dark wet days in November before we make judgement.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭ rolion


    Jack,i cannot more fully agree with you...
    Is not a bad design,is just 'bad time of the year' to talk about it...
    :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭ daymobrew


    rolion wrote: »
    But,time will talk of course...as today,at 3pm the traffic was queuing on the new built bridge over train / M50 already... don't get me started talking on roundabouts with traffic lights !
    The lights on the roundabout will be removed when the junction is finished.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭ jack presley


    daymobrew wrote: »
    The lights on the roundabout will be removed when the junction is finished.

    How can they? Traffic heading from the airport along the M50 that wants to get to Blanchardstown village will still have to come up the slip and go around the roundabout and 'clash' with outbound traffic on the N3so lights will surely still be needed there.

    And likewise at the next section of the junction, traffic coming from the toll that wants to head into town will meet with the outbound traffic when it comes up the slip as well.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 Godge


    How can they? Traffic heading from the airport along the M50 that wants to get to Blanchardstown village will still have to come up the slip and go around the roundabout and 'clash' with outbound traffic on the N3so lights will surely still be needed there.

    And likewise at the next section of the junction, traffic coming from the toll that wants to head into town will meet with the outbound traffic when it comes up the slip as well.


    correct. And what about traffic coming from Blanchardstown village that wants to go M50 southbound and will have to take the new dunsink slip road and double back at the Auburn road junction. I just hope the traffic counters have done their job and that no movement or change will be too badly affected. Let us wait and see.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭ daymobrew


    How can they? Traffic heading from the airport along the M50 that wants to get to Blanchardstown village will still have to come up the slip and go around the roundabout and 'clash' with outbound traffic on the N3so lights will surely still be needed there.

    And likewise at the next section of the junction, traffic coming from the toll that wants to head into town will meet with the outbound traffic when it comes up the slip as well.
    Each of these routes will have separate roads/lanes, just like at N4/M50, though, now that I look at the junction plans, I see potential issues at some points where lanes merge.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭ jack presley


    daymobrew wrote: »
    Each of these routes will have separate roads/lanes, just like at N4/M50, though, now that I look at the junction plans, I see potential issues at some points where lanes merge.

    This junction's described as 'partial free flow' so there were always going to be traffic lights on it when it's completed.

    As I said above, when routes meet that are heading in opposite directions, in the absense of a flyover there has to be traffic lights!


  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭ bigar


    What a mess the N3 is now at Dunsink Lane inward. You have four lanes at the traffic lights. When it turns green it looks like something from wacky races with the cars changing lanes all over the place just to get ahead.

    Moving along the road then, it is also completely unclear where the lanes are ending/merging and where the crap bus lane actually starts. I can only hope this is a temporary situation.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 Godge


    M50 northbound off-ramp closed at night this week - probably more changes when this is completed.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭ Heroditas


    bigar wrote: »
    What a mess the N3 is now at Dunsink Lane inward. You have four lanes at the traffic lights. When it turns green it looks like something from wacky races with the cars changing lanes all over the place just to get ahead.

    Moving along the road then, it is also completely unclear where the lanes are ending/merging and where the crap bus lane actually starts. I can only hope this is a temporary situation.


    Amen to that. Imagine what it's going to be like when September comes around again and the roads are jammed with traffic.

    4 lanes -> 3 lanes -> 2 lanes -> 1 lane all in less than 1km. Madness


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭ jack presley


    bigar wrote: »
    What a mess the N3 is now at Dunsink Lane inward. You have four lanes at the traffic lights. When it turns green it looks like something from wacky races with the cars changing lanes all over the place just to get ahead.

    Moving along the road then, it is also completely unclear where the lanes are ending/merging and where the crap bus lane actually starts. I can only hope this is a temporary situation.


    Because of the resurfacing in the M50 roundabout this evening the Auburn Avenue/Dunsink Lane junction outbound was chaos. I know nobody pays any attention to them but they're going to have to put in a yellow box or something because the amount of cars (from all 3 sides trying to go out the N3) blocking the junction when they got the green light even though there was no where to go the far side.


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,692 ✭✭✭✭ Mimikyu


    This post has been deleted.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭ Stark


    Seems you can remove the roundabout but not the tards.


Advertisement