Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Heritage] ITG: 141 Farewell and A39 Launch. Who is going?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

[SIZE=+0]Dates: 1879 (withdrawn 1964)[/SIZE]

Jesus, nearly a hundred years in service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They don't make locos like they used to, we would be lucky if the 201's lasted 1/4 of that time in service. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

In fairness there's virtually nothing left of the original as they were rebuilt many times over their lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭dowlingm

VIA Rail Canada just put in an order for the rebuild of 6 x Budd Rail Diesel Car DMUs - from the 50s - new engine and fittings but the same stainless steel shell. Why? Because only one manufacturer made modern DMUs which could coexist with North American freight trains (Colorado Railcar) and they went broke, so if you need a DMU you either run under light rail rules (no coexistence with heavy cars, tough to do when freight companies own most of the railway trackage) or you look for an old Budd to rebuild... DMUs aren't popular as they are in Europe because each engined car is treated as a locomotive and has to undergo strict check schedules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I see from a recent RPSI bulletin that their 'Heritage Diesel' project is proceeding as follows - they envisage ownership of 3 to 4 locomotives. 'The now renumbered B141 and B 142 are already destined for Society ownership' (their quote). They mention class number 134 and another 141 class loco as the other two.

They also mention the possibility of leasing 'Charleville goods shed' as the the maintenance and overhaul base, with two of the locos being based there.

Apparently, a significant number of the interested members are based in the Limerick and Cork area, and, in general, there is presently a large number of enthusiasts interested in diesel preservation, including the preservation of these locomotives.

• Advertisement

Its a pity these guys had their head up their ass on steam too long and missed out altogether on the Metrovics and 121's.

They were set up to preserve Steam in the 60's as Diesel motive power took over. With the ITG on the scene i guess they never saw a need to go near Diesel preservation. The ITG have A39 preserved and running up at Downpatrick and 134 is a 121 class loco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

lord lucan wrote: »
    They were set up to preserve Steam in the 60's as Diesel motive power took over. With the ITG on the scene i guess they never saw a need to go near Diesel preservation. The ITG have A39 preserved and running up at Downpatrick and 134 is a 121 class loco.
    I am aware of that being the OP of this thread, 134 seems to be banished to an isolated part of the country with little hope of ever getting near our national railway. The RPSI seem to have a much better relationship with IR than any other groupes and can make things happen so I am sure if they had Metrovics and a 121 class preserved we would see a lot more of them out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I see from a recent RPSI bulletin that their 'Heritage Diesel' project is proceeding as follows - they envisage ownership of 3 to 4 locomotives. 'The now renumbered B141 and B 142 are already destined for Society ownership' (their quote). They mention class number 134 and another 141 class loco as the other two.

They also mention the possibility of leasing 'Charleville goods shed' as the the maintenance and overhaul base, with two of the locos being based there.

Apparently, a significant number of the interested members are based in the Limerick and Cork area, and, in general, there is presently a large number of enthusiasts interested in diesel preservation, including the preservation of these locomotives.

See post #35 in this thread.

Quite where the sudden RPSI interest in diesel preservation leaves the unfortunate ITG is anyone's guess? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

I suppose its good in a way as the RPSI would probably have insurance already in place so it wouldn't have the same difficulties as the ITG had. Still, at least the ITG has got a home for its stuff and a chance to operate some of the locos at Downpatrick. Given their are so few enthusiasts in Ireland its probably easier to cover operating costs when you're running steam for the general public as well, I can't imagine the ITG's diesel enthusiast only market would be sustainable in terms of insuranc, I recall reading thats why they stopped running A class tours a few years ago.

See post #35 in this thread.

Thats the GSRPS, which were a different organisation altogether, they're long gone, some of their stock is now preserved by the RPSI and Downpatrick.

• Advertisement

Thats the GSRPS, which were a different organisation altogether, they're long gone, some of their stock is now preserved by the RPSI and Downpatrick.

It was said in jest but some of those involved are the same individuals. As one who was intimately involved with the GSRPS I'm well aware of where their collection has gone - some of it without payment or permission! That said, I wish the future occupants of Charleville goods shed all the best, but previous experience of the weasel ways of CIE would suggest that the future does not bode well for them.

As one who was intimately involved with the GSRPS I'm well aware of where their collection has gone - some of it without payment or permission!

Any account I've seen indicates that it was actually CIÉ who owned the items now passed on to the groups mentioned (Downpatrick and RPSI), loco 131, railcar B and two six wheel coaches.

Anyway, its good to see theres now a chance for mainline heritage diesel operations, indeed lets hope they have success.

Any account I've seen indicates that it was actually CIÉ who owned the items now passed on to the groups mentioned (Downpatrick and RPSI), loco 131, railcar B and two six wheel coaches.

Anyway, its good to see theres now a chance for mainline heritage diesel operations, indeed lets hope they have success.

Indeed, as I said, I wish them all the best - seriously. Loco 131 always belonged to CIE as did railcar B but almost everything else that came out of Mallow/Tralee etc was the property of the GSRPS or private individuals. As I said on another thread to expect 'the nordies' to acknowledge the efforts of anybody else on their websites or in their literature would be expecting far too much. :rolleyes:

As I said on another thread to expect 'the nordies' to acknowledge the efforts of anybody else on their websites or in their literature would be expecting far too much. :rolleyes:

Well to be fair the Downpatrick site only seems to deal with the vehicle's actual service history than its preservation one, I'd imagine thats what most of their clients would be interested in. The RPSI site does actually mention the GSRPS on their 131 page, although I suppose they're only 'half nordie'.

Well to be fair the Downpatrick site only seems to deal with the vehicle's actual service history than its preservation one, I'd imagine thats what most of their clients would be interested in. The RPSI site does actually mention the GSRPS on their 131 page, although I suppose they're only 'half nordie'.

I think you will find that most enthusiasts prefer to know the full history of a vehicle rather than a sanitized one - certainly most enthusiasts that I know. I am afraid despite their southern membership, and activities, the RPSI are the real McCoy when it comes to being a 'nordie' organisation. I well remember the hospitality extended to myself and others who made the effort to make our way to Whitehead in the 1980s. :rolleyes:

I think you will find that most enthusiasts prefer to know the full history of a vehicle rather than a sanitized one - certainly most enthusiasts that I know.

I know what you mean, I personally would be too, but what I meant was that the general public, if they're interested at all, would probably have little interest in what group owned what. I see what you mean though, theres very little info out there on some groups like Westrail and GSRPS, slightly more on the former probably because they did manage to run trains.

As for the RPSI being nordie, well, I sometimes travel on their specials to Wexford and it seems to be mainly Dublin accents you here doing the onboard entertainment and the like - including singing believe it or not!

I know what you mean, I personally would be too, but what I meant was that the general public, if they're interested at all, would probably have little interest in what group owned what. I see what you mean though, theres very little info out there on some groups like Westrail and GSRPS, slightly more on the former probably because they did manage to run trains.

As for the RPSI being nordie, well, I sometimes travel on their specials to Wexford and it seems to be mainly Dublin accents you here doing the onboard entertainment and the like - including singing believe it or not!

Ah yes, that would be par for the course as there have always been a lot of 'Uncle Tom's' in the preservation movement down here. Anyway, it has been a long day on the laptop so I'm off to watch a movie before I really say something that I regret. :D

there have always been a lot of 'Uncle Tom's' in the preservation movement down here. :D

I understand the metaphor but not its application. :confused:

I am aware of that being the OP of this thread, 134 seems to be banished to an isolated part of the country with little hope of ever getting near our national railway. The RPSI seem to have a much better relationship with IR than any other groupes and can make things happen so I am sure if they had Metrovics and a 121 class preserved we would see a lot more of them out and about.

Problem is,being a voluntary organisation there's a limit to what they can do. They could have examples of every class of loco to run in Ireland but having the manpower and funds to refurbish and run them is a different ball game altogether.

And you're right about the RPSI having a better relationship with IE. Not sure why but they seem to have a lot more pull with IE than the likes of the ITG do. Not sure if the ITG dirtied their bib with IE in the past but the RPSI seem to get a better deal from IE.

ONE-INCH-DEPTH1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

lord lucan wrote: »
    And you're right about the RPSI having a better relationship with IE. Not sure why but they seem to have a lot more pull with IE than the likes of the ITG do. Not sure if the ITG dirtied their bib with IE in the past but the RPSI seem to get a better deal from IE.

Hmmm.... I'm tempted.......but no, I won't.

What I will say though is this. ITG did not dirty their bib. In fact they were never even given a bib.:D

I recall reading a few years ago when IÉ brought in a railtour ban that the RPSI have a slightly higher status as they are whats known as a 'guest operator' due to their safety case, while the ITG/IRRS/MRSI simply hire locos and carriages from IÉ, they're not clasified as 'operators' but 'hirers'. I could be mistaken but I think it was something like that.

I recall reading a few years ago when IÉ brought in a railtour ban that the RPSI have a slightly higher status as they are whats known as a 'guest operator' due to their safety case, while the ITG/IRRS/MRSI simply hire locos and carriages from IÉ, they're not clasified as 'operators' but 'hirers'. I could be mistaken but I think it was something like that.

You're wrong. Sorry.

DWCommuter wrote: »
    You're wrong. Sorry.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 kingstapler

Does anyone know if any of the ITG locos in Clare are operating? I was thinking of going down for a look over the summer to see the narrow gauge anyway.

You're wrong. Sorry.

Actually I think he's right. I remember they ran a steam tour to Waterford and Clonmel about two years ago, not often you see them down this way. The ITG wanted to run a railtour to Carrick on Suir last year but couldn't because of the ban. I do remember there being something about the RPSI being a guest operator on a different site, which is probably why they could run but the ITG couldn't. It would be nice to see a special down in Waterford with the old diesels. Theres one in a few weeks alright with an 071 though.

Actually I think he's right. I remember they ran a steam tour to Waterford and Clonmel about two years ago, not often you see them down this way. The ITG wanted to run a railtour to Carrick on Suir last year but couldn't because of the ban. I do remember there being something about the RPSI being a guest operator on a different site, which is probably why they could run but the ITG couldn't. It would be nice to see a special down in Waterford with the old diesels. Theres one in a few weeks alright with an 071 though.

Your both wrong as to the reasons why the ITG do not court as much favour as the RPSI with IE. my apologies for not being able to tell you why, at this moment in time.

Your both wrong as to the reasons why the ITG do not court as much favour as the RPSI with IE. my apologies for not being able to tell you why, at this moment in time.

Go on,you know you want to!:p

Does it say what the other 141 class loco is? They used to be down here in Waterford alot, its good to see a few are being kept.

• Advertisement

No I'm nearly sure now thats what it was. There was a tour due to run up from Sligo to Belfast as well by a guy from down here in Waterford and it was cancelled too. There was a load off angry people on MSN railway news about it, can't find it now but I distinctly remember it.

Actually now that I think of it is the old MSN railway news site gone. It was a handy yoke for finding out bits about railtours but I can't seem to find it. Pity if it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement