Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A priceless collection of photos there. You can clearly see an electric kettle in the cabin window during demolition - one wonders what else was inside? The extension of platforms - apart from being a colossal waste of money - has been a great excuse for CIE/IE to knock down lots more historic items nationwide. I was asked to supply the National Heritage Council with a report on such structures worthy of preservation more than 20 years ago, which I duly did, and the results can be seen. :rolleyes:

"C I É staff are constantly gathering up old artefacts to add to the Transport Collection that is in the care of the Heritage Office. Fine examples of Victorian electrical engineering vie with cast iron "No Trespass" signs. Station name-boards from Edwardian times sit alongside locomotive whistles, makers’ plates and bronze carriage-keys. - Enjoyed this too but CIE/IE forgot to mention where these items sit : http://www.fitzpatrickhotels.com/grand-central/ in Chicago a veritable respository of Irish railwayana I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Furthermore if anyone here has any ideas on what the video should feature then feel free to suggest.

Just follow CIE/IE management and DOT senior officials around and see just how many of them actually use public transport.

An expose on CIE managers who can take public transport to and from work but drive in style would be brilliant.

There is aso the icredible urban legend if it can be proven that in the early 2000's an Irish Rail manager altered the Northern Line timetable to make it easier for his daughter to get to and from her school. If that could be proven and documented if would have them running in terror.

A glimpse inside the Wheeltapper Pub at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel in Chicago is illuminating - preservation CIE style - out of sight out of mind! :rolleyes:
    125202603ddd7333545b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wonder where that distant signal is from?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I wonder where that distant signal is from?

eh, far away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Just follow CIE/IE management and DOT senior officials around and see just how many of them actually use public transport.

An expose on CIE managers who can take public transport to and from work but drive in style would be brilliant.

There is aso the icredible urban legend if it can be proven that in the early 2000's an Irish Rail manager altered the Northern Line timetable to make it easier for his daughter to get to and from her school. If that could be proven and documented if would have them running in terror.

The Chief Executive of Dublin Bus uses the bus every day to/from work.

As far as I know the Iarnrod Eireann Chief Executive uses the DART.

Now Dr. Lynch - that's another story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

eh, far away?

Its the distant signal from Ballygobackwards Junction....one hell of a pull

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bg07

KC61 wrote: »
    The Chief Executive of Dublin Bus uses the bus every day to/from work.

As far as I know the Iarnrod Eireann Chief Executive uses the DART.

Now Dr. Lynch - that's another story!

As matter of interest what is Dr. Lynch Phd in? Presume that it had nothing to do with transport. I'd imagine from hearing him talk that his transport qualifications are membership of FF and being good buds with Bertie et al.

bg07 wrote: »
    As matter of interest what is Dr. Lynch Phd in? Presume that it had nothing to do with transport. I'd imagine from hearing him talk that his transport qualifications are membership of FF and being good buds with Bertie et al.

Dr.Lynch is a hard man to find out much info on but he was DG at FAS before moving to CIE - enough said I think. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Dr Lynch's background is, according to a recent profile in the Indo, as follows:

Engineering qualification from DIT
    Commerce degree from UCD
    MBA from UCD
    Doctorate from TCD
    Visiting professor of Business at NUIG
    Lecturer on business strategy at various universities.

Interestingly, his first state appointment actually came during the Rainbow government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

eh, far away?

Is that meant to be funny? Its quite clear its from far away if its in America. The guy was only asking where it was from. Ok chances are nobody reading this knows but theres no need to be so cutting towards the poster.

Is that meant to be funny? Its quite clear its from far away if its in America. The guy was only asking where it was from. Ok chances are nobody reading this knows but theres no need to be so cutting towards the poster.

ooooh touchy!

Anyways I was wondering why if there is a Irish Railway Records Society and they are so close with CIE as people on this board say, then why they hell did so many railway historic items ended up in American pubs?

I could understand that the IRRS did not have to room to display everything. But being so close to CIE management they could of spent years stockpiling the railway artifacts in a storehouse or old freight shed for the day when it could be put on display somewhere. Literally hundreds of thsounds of artifacts could of been collected this way.

Also why did this organisation get the monoploy for saving Irish railway heritage when they had everything in their grasp and saved very little. Makes no sense to me.

ooooh touchy!

If you want to be childish about it fair enough, I personally don't.
    Anyways I was wondering why if there is a Irish Railway Records Society and they are so close with CIE as people on this board say

I'd take what "people on this board say" with a pinch of salt.
    Also why did this organisation get the monoploy for saving Irish railway heritage when they had everything in their grasp and saved very little. Makes no sense to me.

I wouldn't say they have a monopoly on saving Irish rail heritage. For one thing they mainly are more geared towards records and small artefacts.

They're also also voluntary run so there is only so much they can do. Although there seems to be a few people on this site who get kicks out of running down voluntary groups so I may as well be talking to the wall.

Although there seems to be a few people on this site who get kicks out of running down voluntary groups so I may as well be talking to the wall.

They are not doing it for kicks. They are doing it because they care.

Honestly, you need to stop assuming that all voluntary groups are driven by altuism and good intentions. Many of them are driven by egos and selfish motives.

They are not doing it for kicks. They are doing it because they care.

Care about what? The need to belittle people from their keyboards without actually doing anything positive?
    Honestly, you need to stop assuming that all voluntary groups are driven by altuism and good intentions. Many of them are driven by egos and selfish motives.

So people who give up their time/money to run preservation sites which people can enjoy (yes enjoy, many of them run special events for kids at Haloween, Christmas etc) and not get paid are selfish?

Have you honestly come across evidence to suggest selfish motives? They're are hardly going to be embezzling tons of money made out of such schemes!

Care about what? The need to belittle people from their keyboards without actually doing anything positive?

So people who give up their time/money to run preservation sites which people can enjoy (yes enjoy, many of them run special events for kids at Haloween, Christmas etc) and not get paid are selfish?

Have you honestly come across evidence to suggest selfish motives? They're are hardly going to be embezzling tons of money made out of such schemes!

Suggest you call into the scrapyard railway at the Cavan & Leitrim Railway in Dromod and ask the proprietor what happened to the other two people behind the project before you bother posting again. Irish railway preservation is littered with failure, 'financial irregularities', opportunists and, of course, the dead hand of CIE.

Irish railway preservation is littered with failureQUOTE]

I wouldn't say its littered with failure. Okay, some groups like Westrail and GSRPS failed, but at least they tried. Hell, Westrail largely rebuilt a steam loco which can still be seen in use today. There are various groups which have been successful in their own way; ISPS, RPSI, Fintown, Donegal Station, Belturbet Station, West Clare, Lartigue for example...

So has with most things in life there have been failures but there have also been successes. We shouldn't deride those who failed either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

This may have been posted already but it looks like it would make a great cycle track with at least one very scenic bridge crossing. You could get hundreds/thousands of tourists and daytrippers a day cycling that in summer compared to 25 people on a train. These type of cylcing track concersions are popular in Europe and Asia. It could be a boon for tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

maninasia wrote: »
    This may have been posted already but it looks like it would make a great cycle track with at least one very scenic bridge crossing. You could get hundreds/thousands of tourists and daytrippers a day cycling that in summer compared to 25 people on a train. These type of cylcing track concersions are popular in Europe and Asia. It could be a boon for tourism.

Heaven Forbid such sacrilege!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Southsider1

It's hardly surprising noone is using it. I need to go to Thurles on Tuesday. I decided I'd go Wexford via Waterford and Limerick Junction. Couldn't book it online so I rang IE and was quoted €45 each way!!!

So €90 return? WTF is that all about????? It's bound to be empty at that price. Is it their way of killing it off?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It's hardly surprising noone is using it. I need to go to Thurles on Tuesday. I decided I'd go Wexford via Waterford and Limerick Junction. Couldn't book it online so I rang IE and was quoted €45 each way!!!

So €90 return? WTF is that all about????? It's bound to be empty at that price. Is it their way of killing it off?

Go to Thurles from where? From Dublin, plenty of direct trains. Do you mean from Wexford? Go via Dublin, plenty of trains. ;)

EDIT: BTW, if you are starting from Wexford, get a price in your local station. If you phone IE they google your question, and make up and answer if google comes back blank.

EDIT2: Wexford to Thurles by rail is for sadists as it requires 4 trains: Wex-Rosslare, Rosslare-Waterford (ONE train a day), Waterford to Lk Jnct, Lk Jnct to Thurles.

Went Rosslare - Limk Junction - Rosslare today - had to go to Thurles so went by train. The actual trip ws very pleasant but bloody SLOW! The cars were whizzing past us most of the way. Train was dirty though. Empty beer cans and water bottles. Tables dirty. Toilets minging. Shame really cos it's a lovely scenic route. Oh, and most of the stations are eyesores. Carrick actually looks dangerous! The train up was about 3/4 full and about half full coming back. Not bad for early afternoon I thought? A couple of points though:

A. It's very expensive.
    B. Absolutely no advertising for the service in Wexford/Rosslare/Limerick Jctn.
    C. As I said the train was seriously lacking a good clean.

Sad really, I reckon with a slight spruce up and some serious marketing - oh, and a REASONABLE price, it would work.

Rosslare to Limerick Junction is EUR 20 day saver return fare. How is that expensive?

If you paid EUR 90 you were fleeced.

How did you do that in one day?

The 0700 ex-Rosslare can only get you to Limerick Junction for 1412, and return train is at 1510. That doesn't give you much time in Thurles!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You could have probably bought the train for that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Shayman

Sorry correction - should that've read Wex -Dub - Thurles - Limk Junction - Rosslare?

Rosslare to Limerick Junction is EUR 20 day saver return fare. How is that expensive?

How did you do that in one day?

The 0700 ex-Rosslare can only get you to Limerick Junction for 1412, and return train is at 1510. That doesn't give you much time in Thurles!!!

Shayman wrote: »
    Sorry correction - should that've read Wex -Dub - Thurles - Limk Junction - Rosslare?

No. I started from Waterford to Limerick junction. Changed to go to Thurles, got the 2:20ish bact to Limerick Junction and 3:10 back down. Stopped for ten mins in Carrick while another was coming back up and twenty mins in Waterford.

You could have probably bought the train for that. :pac:
    No. you can't book Rosslare - Limerick Junction tickets online - at least I don't think you can:confused: Last night I called the station and was quoted 45 each way. It was actually only 45 return. Still steep though??

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

Went Rosslare - Limk Junction - Rosslare today - had to go to Thurles so went by train. The actual trip ws very pleasant but bloody SLOW! The cars were whizzing past us most of the way.

I have to agree, the speed on that route is a disgrace. Your journey typifies a big problem for Irish rail, in that only commuters will use the train because they have to, leisurely tourists and day trippers would more than likely not go back on that train again, should they encounter the same conditions as you just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Re: bottles/filthy toilets etc - there is only one way that ever gets fixed and that is with shaming. If you have a camera in your phone, use it, then upload to flickr/youtube.

• Advertisement

No. you can't book Rosslare - Limerick Junction tickets online - at least I don't think you can:confused: Last night I called the station and was quoted 45 each way. It was actually only 45 return. Still steep though??

It's only EUR 20 return to Limerick Junction from Rosslare and probably less from Waterford. It's the Limerick Junction/Thurles part that increases the fare, as this is on an "express route". Therefore it is actually inaccurate to say that the fares on this line itself are steep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement