Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford/Rosslare Strand Railway reaches the buffer stops (again)!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

Hungerford wrote: »
    It would also help business if they erected an accurate timetable at stations. From what I've been able to ascertain, it seems the average Waterford-Rosslare train is half full, despite what IE claims.

If this can be proven conclusively then CIE/IE have lost this battle and perhaps even their 60 year war against rail transport. They would have no credibility left and every political whore would be lining up to demand they be sacked and if could even lead to a huge turnaround in developing this line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As we wait for news from the Facebook tour of the South Wexford line tonight, I thought that some of you might find the attached editorial from the Indo of the 14/1/83 interesting. The Indo, not known for being a bastion of intelligent thinking, real hit the nail on the head with this piece but as usual nobody was listening. And, remember the former Soviet countries, India or China had not become massive consumers of oil products at this time.

indo001.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

JD

Oil and green issues do not keep railway lines open. Nor do they get lines reopened.

As a species we will not comprehend an oil shortage until it actually runs out. Despite warnings about crap food, lack of exercise and smoking causing heart disease, we still do it.

The only thing humanity understands fully (and reacts too) is public shame. We absolutely hate it! Take the anger you have towards CIE ( its justified despite what a few moany holes here say) and use it to educate the media so they will ask the right questions. Poke at the weaknesses within IE. Expose their lies. Do it all in a very public way and this line will be saved.

I learned a very valuable lesson when I set up Platform 11 and its this. When it comes to issues of a touchy nature, IE cannot defend verifiable facts. They cave in when challenged (in public with facts) about how they run rail services. Pick at issues like rosters and unions. Become a thorn in their side. Make it very clear that they don't run the railway. Their staff and unions and prehistoric practises run it. They can't and won't defend it, because its true. Realistic timetables on this line are a staff/union issue that IE don't care to fight in order to make changes. Its not important enough to them.

Im done with the front line of lobbying, but I'm happy that I never lost a single argument with IE in the media while I was a spokesperson with RUI/P11. If I was on live radio tomorrow morning talking about it, I'd have Dick Fearn ****ting himself with what I'd say. P11 may not have been everyones cup of tea, but when it was in the media, it put manners on that shower in Amiens Street.

All IE understand from anyone challenging their position is a swift kick in the balls. Cosy meetings with them achieve nothing. I know of two user groups here in Kildare that ignored my warnings about "meetings". They are now useless and rudderless basket cases, reduced to moaning in the local press. IE beat them into submission when they realised that these groups thrived on pointless meetings. (which IE are refusing to entertain anymore) Its the Irish way. "Sure we'll send a delegation to talk to them". Bollox! What did it do for the tossers in West Cork in the 1960s? Feck all.

Armed with knowledge and facts, you can take IE apart at the seams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Joe Ryan called it nicely. Sean Connick is now a minister having said Rosslare-Waterford should not close.

A snippet about the impending closure will be on TG4 tomorrow (Thurs night at 7pm) according this from Facebook group:
    Caoimhe Ní Laighin: Anyone who is interested, there will be a news package on this on TG4 at 7.00 tomorrow night. It is very short (I was confined to 2 mins), so obviously it only touches on the issues.

As for Sean Connick, now that he's a minister he will probably keep his mouth shut. Watch this space.

• Advertisement

Waste of Space "Ciaran Cuffe" on RTE 1 now discussing Waterford/Rosslare line. Yes, closure is one of options he is considering - good old Greens!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Waste of Space "Ciaran Cuffe" on RTE 1 now discussing Waterford/Rosslare line. Yes, closure is one of options he is considering - good old Greens!

Ciarán was shredded by Vincent Browne during the week and I really mean shredded. If you like bloodsports you may watch it here

Ciarán even mentioned that it will be "an honour" :eek: to work for Noel Dempsey

I have a great story about Ciaran Cuffe and a telephone conversation I had with the berk a few years ago. But I'll hold it until I can actually see the keyboard properly.:eek: Great night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ciarán was shredded by Vincent Browne during the week and I really mean shredded. If you like bloodsports you may watch it here

Ciarán even mentioned that it will be "an honour" :eek: to work for Noel Dempsey
    I've seen more modesty and rational behaviour in a drink-fuelled rabble than in Vincent Browne. Proper discussion is so stifled by that man that there's no point in even heeding the answers of guests. Journalists present on the show appeared to be walking on eggshells lest they express agreement with any aspect of that TD. I found that part to be funny. I wonder if Vincent even knows what he says sometimes. I would also say to his defence, that he doesn't hold back on any politician unlike his erstwhile colleagues in RTÉ, who are a tad mindful of their political funders.

As for Mr. Cuffe's latest statements, of course it's an option that's going to be considered. It's hardly an expression of personal idealogy. The greens themselves discussed motions regarding Metro North and whether it was worthwhile to redirect the money to other forms of public transport. My point is that an ostensibly bad statement may have virtues from another point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

all the greens want is to stay in power regardless of direct cost to the country. hey will suffer the same fate as labour after they formed a coalition with a party whose policies clashed with their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I was watching the Rosslare to Dublin drivers eye dvd last night and decided to have a gander at the makers website(video125). On their forum i found an interesting tidbit. I can't vouch for the validity of the admin who posted or his IE 'contact' but it adds more weight to the sense that the decision has already been made to close the line.

"Sorry but it has already been decided that we will film from Waterford. I have known about the closure for some time because my IE contact asked me if I wanted to film it before it goes. I asked him what infrastructure there was to see and really all he said is a large viaduct. I said that viaducts are best seen from outside the train anyway so I will fly over the route in June or July. He thought that is an excellent idea.

Due to the one train a day situation I had doubted the viability of filming from Rosslare anyway. After all we have the infrastructure of Europort and the junction in the can already.

While on the subject of Ireland, are you aware that there is an 071 hauled railtour in April (24th I think) which will be hauling Mk3 coaching stock. After this the stock will be scrapped and therefore it is said that this will be the VERY LAST EVER loco hauled passenger train (other than the Cork service) ever to operate in the Republic. Sad eh? Personally, with what we know about railway preservation and the A1 that would never happen, I say never say never. That said there is NOTHING on the horizon."

http://www.video125.co.uk/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=336&page=1#Item_0

lord_lucan - one suspects that Video 125 were probably tipped off from the Watchtower by that well known 'enthusiast' Reg Bryan. Interesting forum - didn't know it existed despite having visited the website recently myself. :D

lord_lucan - one suspects that Video 125 were probably tipped off from the Watchtower by that well known 'enthusiast' Reg Bryan. Interesting forum - didn't know it existed despite having visited the website recently myself. :D

I didn't know about the site myself. The aforementioned guy from the watchtower is credited on the dvd for their help so it's very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I think this extract from this morning's IT report of the Limerick-Galway railway opening is well worth quoting:
    Ciarán Cuffe said he would also be prepared to preside over the closure of some train services if they did not make economic sense.

It seems he was speaking about Waterford-Rosslare-Limerick and Nenagh in that context. Looks like the line's apparent saviour has forsaken it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0330/1224267342575.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The end is nigh.

Does the line still have 3 signal boxes in operation? Waterford East (Abbey Junction), Wellington Bridge and Rosslare Strand?
    I has a feeling that Waterford East (Abbey Junction) was downgraded to a level crossing only and that the section to Wellington Bridge is now controlled from the Waterford Central box. Can anyone confirm?

I do remember not all that long ago there were more than 2 trains a day on the line.

I remember the following:
    0720 Rosslare-Waterford, extended to Limerick Junction in the summer months.
    1300 approx Waterford-Rosslare ex Limerick Junction, Summer only
    1500 Rosslare-Waterford Summer only
    1705 Waterford-Rosslare. This train connected with the 1800 Rosslare-Conolly service at the strand.
    1823 Waterford-Rosslare boat train ex Limerick
    1940 Rosslare-Limerick Junction.

What the hell happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

IE happened....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lika3

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=367387502018

please join this group -
    Save the Rosslare to Waterford rail line

public meeting 7th APRIL 19:45 - 21:30
    Tir Na n-Óg, Wellington Bridge, Wexford.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The end is nigh.

Does the line still have 3 signal boxes in operation? Waterford East, Wellington Bridge and Rosslare Strand?

I do remember not all that long ago there were more than 2 trains a day on the line.

I remember the following:
    0720 Rosslare-Waterford, extended to Limerick Junction in the summer months.
    1300 approx Waterford-Rosslare ex Limerick Junction, Summer only
    1500 Rosslare-Waterford Summer only
    1705 Waterford-Rosslare. This train connected with the 1800 Rosslare-Conolly service at the strand.
    1823 Waterford-Rosslare boat train ex Limerick
    1940 Rosslare-Limerick Junction.

What the hell happened?

The cabin at Rosslare Strand is gone (demolished) last year, so Waterford East and the Barrow Bridge cabin (I think is still in use) and Wellington Bridge cabin are all that remain. As another poster said what happened was CIE/IE - Can Ireland Endure.

There must be still a cabin or ground frame of sorts to control the points and signals for the section to Wellington Bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lika3

the cabin in bridgetown is gone too just a hut there now

• Advertisement

There must be still a cabin or ground frame of sorts to control the points and signals for the section to Wellington Bridge?

Rosslare Harbour ground frame?

Strand surely? Or else you would have to be very strong. :)

Maybe the points and signalling at Rosslare strand is controlled from CTC like the rest of the Dublin-Rosslare route. I'm not 100% sure myself tbh.

Sorry, yes I meant to say Rosslare Strand is controlled from CTC since the box closed and I suppose for that matter the groundframe at Rosslare Harbour is now also controlled from Connolly. I haven't been down there since the one way system for emigrants from Enniscorthy/Wexford to Waterford was introduced with the new timetable. :D

Here we go:

"ROSSLARE STRAND SIGNALLING

The interface between modern computerised signalling and existing signalling systems always presents designers and operators with an interesting challenge. These interfaces have to be achieved within the existing Rule Book and Signalling Regulations, though usually with special instruction for the location. It is also important that the area of control of each signalman is clearly defined.

For the normal operation of Dublin-Rosslare Europort trains, there is no requirement for a signalman at Rosslare Strand. However, for a train to depart to or arrive from Wellington Bridge, a signalman is required at Rosslare Strand. To streamline the working of the station the signal cabin was moved from the existing 1908-built signal cabin to a new position within the existing station building. The space was once occupied by the parcel/goods area and is adjacent to the booking office. All Rosslare Strand controlled signals have the abbreviation RS. There are no turnouts or crossovers controlled by the RS signalman.

The new signal cabin houses, the Electric Train Staff Instrument, hand generator, OCS (One Control Switch) panel and the apparatus to prove to the signalling system that the ETS for the section to Wellington Bridge has been withdrawn from the ETS instrument. To provide a clear distinction between the area under the control of the signalman for the Rosslare Line and the Rosslare Strand signalman, Grange Big level crossing, just west of the station on the Waterford line, is designated the boundary. The ‘B’ pattern ETS tokens are engraved Rosslare Strand for Grange Big-Wellington Bridge.

The new panel is simple with just three signal switches and three axle counter reset buttons. All the necessary signals and axle counters are displayed on the panel. Two pairs of lights indicate to the RS signalman if a route to or from the Waterford line has been set by the RL signalman, while a third pair indicates if the gatekeeper at Grange Big level crossing has the gates locked ‘closed to the railway’ or ‘closed to the road’. An audible warning is fitted to the bottom right of the panel to call the attention of the RS signalman if a train is approaching or standing at the down home signal on the Waterford line. This does not activate for trains routed to and from the Dublin direction by the CTC signalman.

Method of operation When a train requires to proceed towards Wellington Bridge, the Rosslare Strand signalman obtains a staff with the permission of the Wellington Bridge signalman. This releases a starting signal control key from the ETS instrument. This key is then placed in the starting signal control lock and turned to operate an electronic switch, which allows signal RS2 to be cleared to a proceed aspect. The signalman then requests RS 3 and RS 2 signals. Signal RS 3 is a slotted signal, also with the identity RL 568, and will only clear to a proceed aspect if both the Rosslare Line signalman at Greystones has requested the route to Wellington Bridge and the Rosslare Strand signalman has requested the signal to clear. Signal RS 2 is the signal controlling entry to the section and is under the sole control of the Rosslare Strand signalman. Grange Big level crossing must be closed against the road and the Fortress keys inserted in the panel at the gates and the key turned in the starting signal control lock before RS 2 will display a green aspect. The Rosslare Strand signalman must also telephone, in the traditional way, the mid-section level crossings at Grange Big, Mayglass, Bridgetown Station, Muchtown, Nicharee, Ballyfrory, Kilcaven No. 1 and Kilcaven No. 2. He must have a response from each of the crossings before clearing RS 2 signal, otherwise he must caution the train when handing over the staff to the driver and then clear the signal.

When a train is approaching from Wellington Bridge the Rosslare Strand signalman requests RS 1 signal, which will only clear to a proceed aspect if Grange Big level crossing is closed against road traffic and the Fortress keys inserted in the panel at the gates and the Rosslare Line signalman has requested the route. RS R1 signal is a repeater for RS1 – in effect a distant signal, and will display either a yellow or double yellow aspect depending on RS 1. RS1, also designated RL 569, will only display a proceed aspect if the Rosslare Line signalman has requested the route into the station.

END OF AN ERA

The Rosslare Line project eliminated two signalling features, the last Electric Train Staff switching out apparatus and the last lock-up key in a lever frame. It is worth noting that Wicklow up home had the second last mechanical ‘repeater’ signal. Only Roscrea up home retains such a signal."

http://www.irrs.ie/Journal%20167/167%20Rosslare.htm

They have a similar set up in Ballybrophy. But is only ever used if a train needs access to the branch from the main line or vice versa.
    Normally the section Ballybrophy to Roscrea is operated by a manual staff issued by the Roscrea signalman.

Any chance the thread could return to the reality of the topic at hand?;)

I'm shooting a promo video for the campaign to save the line. First and foremost I'm doing it because it boils my blood to see IE neglect and destroy infrastructure because they simply don't want anything to do with it. Its also an operating railway (just about) and should have received far more state attention than was offered to it. Its the subject of repeated closure attempts, despite an obvious disregard by IE. I think its latest proposed closure is based on nothing more than recession based cut backs and maybe even further pressure as a result of the opening of the WRC. (an opportunist move)

However even in the boom times this line was starved of the very basic opportunity of receiving proper investment, along with its sisters, Waterford - Limerick Junction and Ballybrophy - Killonan. It would appear that despite a sea change in Irish life and state wealth, the CIE arguments of the 70s, 80s and early 00s have been supported and encouraged by CIEs very own tactics.

If anyone here has video footage or photos (hi res) of the line, then I would appreciate the opportunity of maybe featuring them in the final promo piece.

Furthermore if anyone here has any ideas on what the video should feature then feel free to suggest.

lord_lucan - don't you just love the way CIE/IE preserve our railway heritage? That cabin was just dying to jump out onto the tracks! I bet all the equipment was inside too - including the signalman's lunch - that is unless Reg got there first! :D

DW - I will see if I can find anything relevant or any useful contacts. However, as I have been trying to escape my past I have flogged off anything of value or shredded it where needs be, so there ain't much left. Still say the Twilight Zone theme is a must!

• Advertisement

lord_lucan - don't you just love the way CIE/IE preserve our railway heritage? That cabin was just dying to jump out onto the tracks! I bet all the equipment was inside too - including the signalman's lunch - that is unless Reg got there first! :D

In one of the other pics on that site you can see all the levers still there,as well as the kitchen sink!:p

Obviously the cabin equipment wasn't deemed old or important enough to meet their own 'heritage' criteria as per their blurb on the CIE website:

"C I É staff are constantly gathering up old artefacts to add to the Transport Collection that is in the care of the Heritage Office. Fine examples of Victorian electrical engineering vie with cast iron "No Trespass" signs. Station name-boards from Edwardian times sit alongside locomotive whistles, makers’ plates and bronze carriage-keys.

An impressive archive of photographs, maps, drawings and documentation dating back to the dawn of public transport in Ireland is updated and handed into the care of the Irish Railway Record Society, whose premises is located in C I É property beside the main Dublin railway terminal at Heuston Station.

You can contact the Heritage Office by phone on +353 1 703 3919 or fax +353 1 703 3920"

http://www.cie.ie/our_services/heritage.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement