Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedious Bickering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Among other things, I am interested in domestic cycle racing - is that a crime or against the charter on boards??? :eek:

What a question to ask me! Why don't you write to the Irish Times and Irish Independent and ask them why they publish results - you would get a good definitive answer!!

Sorry, I just really wanted to know, I mean I thought it was a bit more than casual interest for all of this to happen. Things don't get put into epic bickering unless they are, well....epic.

No, it's not a crime. But neither is people posting about their own racing experience. In short, live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

blorg wrote: »
    I'm trying to be a bit conciliatory here. No-one has a problem with your asking for results. What is objected to is the tone of your posts. Do you think you could tone it down a bit and we could all get along? Just re-read and think about the phrasing before you press the submit button.

Who are you conciliating between?? Has someone appointed you?

I apologised yesterday in a post if I was harsh - I don't need a lecture in manners at this stage from someone who:

- said I was being a dick;
    - accused me of posting snide comments;
    - accused me of being rude and unconstructive;
    - and asked what I was and where I was coming from (which encouraged speculation about who I was which is against boards.ie terms of use!)

I'm afraid I will continue to 'tone it down' as I see fit and well to do so. (in this case relegated to this Tediuos Bickering thread!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Thanks for keeping things on topic Bob. :)

Lumen wrote: »
    Thanks for keeping things on topic Bob. :)

Always happy to oblige Lumen - just waiting to see what Blorg has to say next! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I apologised yesterday in a post if I was harsh

You mean this:
    oh oh am i being too harsh, really awwwww. Sorry

Honestly ....... your insights are all very interesting

Certainly entertaining!

Sorry if I didn't take that as being sincere. I took it as mocking "apology" with another dig at the end. Did you mean it sincerely?
    I don't need a lecture in manners at this stage from someone who:

- said I was being a dick;
    - accused me of posting snide comments;
    - accused me of being rude and unconstructive;
    - and asked what I was and where I was coming from (which encouraged speculation about who I was which is against boards.ie terms of use!)
    I'd stand by that. Do you think there was nothing wrong with the tone in your posts?

I didn't ask who you were, just where you were coming from. Do you race a bike, have you ever raced a bike, are you just a cycling fan? Of which we know nothing other than vague assertions that you have "been there and done that" in terms of bike racing. Everyone else has been quite forthcoming as to where they are coming from; you even started a poll yourself to find out what Cat the various racers on the forum are! But are über-secretive about your own background. Combined with your posting style it is a bit difficult to take you seriously in consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Sorry if I didn't take that as being sincere. I took it as mocking "apology" with another dig at the end. Did you mean it sincerely
    If you read that apology in a non-sarcastic voice. it sounds like a proper apology. And as we have learned earlier we must take bob's posts literally. There is no implied sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

this kinda reminds of a puzzle ....

"What gets bigger the more you take away from it ?"

I wonder if Bob can figure this one ... he should be able to .....

Joe

biker_joe wrote: »
    this kinda reminds of a puzzle ....

"What gets bigger the more you take away from it ?"

I wonder if Bob can figure this one ... he should be able to .....

Joe

easy

the national budget deficit

back to the buckets and spades Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Eh no

The Anwser would be a "hole" ................ the large one you are in right now !! ha ha !! :D

Buckets and spades ? :D
    This Sand pit ain't big enough for the both of us !! :eek:

Joe

You mean this:

Sorry if I didn't take that as being sincere. I took it as mocking "apology" with another dig at the end. Did you mean it sincerely?

I'd stand by that. Do you think there was nothing wrong with the tone in your posts?

I didn't ask who you were, just where you were coming from. Do you race a bike, have you ever raced a bike, are you just a cycling fan? Of which we know nothing other than vague assertions that you have "been there and done that" in terms of bike racing. Everyone else has been quite forthcoming as to where they are coming from; you even started a poll yourself to find out what Cat the various racers on the forum are! But are über-secretive about your own background. Combined with your posting style it is a bit difficult to take you seriously in consequence.

Ya - if I apologised to someone that is too sensitive I meant it.

Do you need to state where you are coming from in order to request race results on here? Really? Must you know everything about your fellow posters? Is there a level of comfort in it?

The poll I posted was purely out of curiousity at the time, with no maliciousness, it has proved useful subsequently.

Your misguided assessments of my character are unnecessary.

You can decide to take me seriously or not - I can't help you there!

• Advertisement

Ya - if I apologised to someone that is too sensitive I meant it.
    Another dig.
    Do you need to state where you are coming from in order to request race results on here? Really? Must you know everything about your fellow posters? Is there a level of comfort in it?
    It is not necessary to know anything about where you are coming from if all you are doing is asking politely about race results, no.

When you pass judgement on race reports and make snide and belittling comments about other posters I guess it is more out of curiosity than anything else. You seem bizarrely secretive about your relationship with cycling. It is difficult to take your views on the worth of racing reports seriously when you have never raced yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this is diminishing what was a legendary thread.

Continue.

Another dig.

It is not necessary to know anything about where you are coming from if all you are doing is asking politely about race results, no.

When you pass judgement on race reports and make snide and belittling comments about other posters I guess it is more out of curiosity than anything else. You seem bizarrely secretive about your relationship with cycling. It is difficult to take your views on the worth of racing reports seriously when you have never raced yourself.

Thought I made it clear from previous posts that I had raced or did you have a scotoma on those points?

For someone not taking me serious you are putting plenty of effort in!

PS Do you actually want me to admit I also won Ras Naoimh Finian in 1962? :D

Thought I made it clear from previous posts that I had raced or did you have a scotoma on those points?
    No, you were rather less than clear about anything in terms of your cycling background; it has all been opaque references interspersed with frivolous moments of whimsy. When did you race? What level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

This is turning into a semantic snooze-fest.

Are you two going to settle it with a race or wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

chakattack wrote: »

Finally some sense being spoken.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think Blorg should have to use a mode of transport he is not familiar with, like a tractor or something. Either that, or the trailer attached to his fixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've only read the last 3 pages and I already wish I could get the time I spent doing so back. Internet wars :rolleyes:

As mentioned above, this needs another race from Howth to Bray. And hopefully the winner won't be after receiving a ban - so we can all get the race report.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Plastik wrote: »
    so we can all get the race report.

No reports just the result ;)

No, you were rather less than clear about anything in terms of your cycling background; it has all been opaque references interspersed with frivolous moments of whimsy. When did you race? What level?

Why does it matter when I raced or what level I was at?

You give more credance to an old stylee A cat or something?

Told you I won the biscuit tin in '62. Beat Loggser Brannigan in the gallop! :P

You are now entering the realm of ..... OBESESSION !

http://wackoex.wordpress.com/the-six-stages-of-obsession/

Just cos you revealed your identity here doesn't put any onus on anyone else to !! :rolleyes:

Now bugger off and go polish your spokes in preparation for whatever race you are taking part in at the weekend!

• Advertisement

Blorg has given up!!

Time for some showboating!!! :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKuawfnjPXw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Blorg has given up!!

Nah, he's prob just gone training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

RobFowl wrote: »
    No reports just the result ;)

and only if you didn't not win ;)

Nah, he's prob just gone training :)

Some endurance so ! he has been training for almost 24 hrs ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

chakattack wrote: »

Finally someone talking some sense :)

Some endurance so ! he has been training for almost 24 hrs ! :p

Yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Ha, I don't even know blorg in real life, but seems the appropriate thing to say.

I took part in an epic and what turned out to be tedious bicker this week.

It started on Sunday after a race when I made admittedly rash, but what I thought to be justifiable post on boards.ie.

Well no sooner had I posted than a wave of posters on the cycling forum jumped down my throat, asking all sorts and questioning my character and everything.

Anyway, with too much time on my hands, I made my best efforts to respond to all. Lumen had enough at some stage and the thread was moved to the tedious bickering category.

At this stage the main protagonist against my reasoning was turning out to be Blorg. He gave up though, perhaps knowing he was up against a decent argument at that stage, or else tired or not bothered, or just wanted to apply his time to more meritus threads on boards.ie?

I dont have any confirmed results at this stage, the jury are still out. Apologies.

Anyway, my thoughts and lessons learned now on the matter are that no-one on this forum has the right to be so evasive as to the who's or why's of someone's commenting/questioning on a topic here. Indeed, at our level I gather it's expressly against the boards.ie terms of use!

My observation at this stage is that a clutch of cycling forum posters seem to think there is an obligation to know who you are / who they are, I gather that is not the case at all.

In doing this, they are establishing there is in all but name, a clique going on within the forum, which is probably unwelcomed by the owners of boards, it's probably against the anonymous/pseudonymed spirit of what makes boards.ie such a success.

Indeed, Blorg himself can be disingenuous and facetious at time. I checked a few threads myself and can cite him for when I posted the poll "What Cycling Ireland Road Race Category are Boards viewers!?" he asked "Can we have a category for triathletes?". He surely is not that naive given the valuable advice he can dispel elsewhere on this forum?

I take and leave this forum as I like it - nowhere am I obliged to disclose personal information.

Looking for my personal details is akin to looking for a molecule of nandrolone in a tub of Maximuscle (ask RobFowl - he can vouch me on this one!)

Thanks to all for reading and contributing.

Happy Good Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

anyone has cake? ... I'll go get me tea now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Holy Easter thread resurrection!

As the Romans said to Christ, I say to this argument...

Just what do we have to do to finish you off for good?

In a thousand years or so SlideshowBob will be at the centre of a new religion. If only I was immortal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

blah blah blah...

Well said. It doesn't matter who or what your experiences are, it's what you post. And what you post is condescending. I'll be putting you on my ignore list now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement