Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedious Bickering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Perhaps 2 of biker joes posts above should be moved to the tedious bickering thread too! I find them insulting and condescending towards me!

ha ha !!! I am glad you find them insulting, sure if you have been there and done in racing, surely that would have hardened you up enough, to take it !

Joe

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You were being rude, not for the first time, and you were called out on it.

Since then you've displayed the classic trolll like behaviour of faux innocence "I was only asking a genuine question about the results", dragging the argument in different directions "how many people here really are A1", and playing the victim card "I'm the one being bullyed here". It's tiresome and transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I expressed my opinion that I find it more useful to see race results than race reports, not everyone has the luxury of being able to attend races every week. If its an online community why not share the info. Sometimes other race result sites can be slow.

Maybe people could post who won in a report, like if ur in a race is it not highly releveant who got placings, would the writer not be interested in watching them next week?!

I didn't have the information to share. Like you, I rely on irishcycling.com for results. However, as you will recall, I did post the winner of the A3 race, the one race who's finish I did stay around to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Michelin

Iv been following this thread from the beginning as I do with all threads that interest me, I have no idea who anybody is on this forum but taken a neutral viewpoint I got the impression from slideshowbobs message that he was just eager to learn of the results (maybe too eager). Im a bit taken back by the response to this and do feel there is an element of ganging up on someone. As I have learned in later posts that the racers know each other and slideshowbob is just a fan of cycling. I dont confess to being much of a racin cyclist, I havent even gotten to the start of one for some time. But I do take a keen interest in domestic racing at all levels from A1 tru to A4 and on sunday eve I remember the results were a good bit later gettin on the usual outlet (irishcycling & facebook) so I came here to see if they had been posted. I too am eager on a sunday eve for results as I am unfortunatly not in a position to get to them. I appreciate and enjoy reading the race reports (if the're not too long) but for me on sunday eve I would have appreciated someone posting results, I dont assume the right as its hard remember a top 6, but even the winner would be useful. I dont think its too much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Hi Michelin. I didn't know who won the A4 race. I did provide the name of the A3 race winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Michelin wrote: »
    I do take a keen interest in domestic racing at all levels from A1 tru to A4 and on sunday eve I remember the results were a good bit later gettin on the usual outlet (irishcycling & facebook) so I came here to see if they had been posted. I too am eager on a sunday eve for results as I am unfortunatly not in a position to get to them. I appreciate and enjoy reading the race reports (if the're not too long) but for me on sunday eve I would have appreciated someone posting results, I dont assume the right as its hard remember a top 6, but even the winner would be useful. I dont think its too much to ask for?
    Hi Michelin and welcome to the forum. That is an entirely reasonable comment and I guarantee you, if Bob had put his requests that way and with that phrasing, he would have NOT have got the response he got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

blorg wrote: »
    If you were responding to the race reports with your experienced critique of what posters were doing well, what mistakes they seemed to be making, what they could do better, that would be "a personal opinion" that would be welcomed as contributing to a discussion.

This is the sort of advice I get from more experienced racers in my club and indeed other guys racing and it is advice I welcome, take to heart and hopefully learn from to become a better racer.

However you are not doing this. You are responding simply with (to paraphrase):

- your post is worthless, you lost the race, shut up you insignificant loser and give me the results;
    - you are only an A4 racer and what you are doing is pointless and unworthy of comment;
    - stop wasting space with your A4 failures and let's hear the A1/A2 results please; if you can't win your own pathetic race the least you could do would be hang around a few hours and get the A1 results.

Look, I don't think anyone here is under any illusions as to the level they are racing at. There are people better than us, at a level above, and there always will be. We accept that. However we would like to be able to discuss our experiences at our lowly amateur racing level without some repeated posts from you saying we are a waste of space.

You are being "savaged" as you are coming on this thread posting nothing constructive and being downright rude, belittling and condescending to people who are starting racing and have taken the time to share their experiences. I am amazed if you can't see this.

I will now respond in sequential order to your comments above:

I expressed my personal opinion at the time, you cannot (much as you would like) determine or define what that is!

I didn't say anyone's point is worthless, it may be worthless to me but may be valuable to others indeed.

I would not tell anyone to shut up. I have manners - again you are trying to assume my mindset which is in itself insulting - hint: when you win a few A1 races you would be more aligned with my mindset for a start :)

If you are A4 you are A4 - there's no only about it. I would not be so condescending. Everyone to their own - if someone wants to write ad infinitum about races so be it - nothing I can do to stop them. They have a point even if it's merely to express themselves, act as a diary for themselves or even egotisically to make themselves merely feel better.

Race reports are worthy of comment of course - again I don't know why you assume I would think they are not worthy of comment.

As regards 'wasting space' I gather the extent of boards capacity is not and issue so that's another wrong assumption you made on my position.

A3 / A4 races are not pathetic - fair play to anyone that does well in them as was borne out by my congrats of your victory, sure you even thanked me for it at the time. As regards waiting around for A1 results - that would be silly. The request/hint for results was to the massses and not aimed directly at the reporter - note no quote used! In hindsight - perhaps a smiley face at the end would have given more context. :)

Glad you accept there are established grades in CI - good reality check at this point. Pity there aint the same for levels of intelligence of boards posters :)

Amateur is not lowly!!! by any means!

I never called anyone a waste of space - please do not attempt to paraphrase on my behalf with such inclination to suit your own means.

Don't mention rude - you yourself if I recall correctly called me some unmentionables which I won't decend to repeating.

With regard to 'belittling' refer again to my above comments for clarity.

With regard to 'condescending' I would place very lowly against other posters.

Perhaps people 'starting racing' would develop more by listening/reading more and blogging less??? I don't recall any great neo-pros having extensive memoirs.

Finally amazement is relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You may not have expressly said the race reports were a waste of time but it seemed implicit in your statements.

So maybe the 10 or so people arguing with you (and me) misinterpreted your comments twice and you deserve an apology. :rolleyes:

RobFowl wrote: »

Rob,

Sometimes dogs can't even get along!

<video link deleted>

Thanks for the contribution though - it warmed me up inside!

mod edit: posting videos of dog fighting nono.gif

biker_joe wrote: »
    ha ha !!! I am glad you find them insulting, sure if you have been there and done in racing, surely that would have hardened you up enough, to take it !

Joe

Ah there's Joe - admitting he likes insulting people, there you go! Nice chap, really!

Ya - racing hardened up Pantani and Vandenbroke too - that argument doesn't really wash me ould flower!

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote: »
    You were being rude, not for the first time, and you were called out on it.

Since then you've displayed the classic trolll like behaviour of faux innocence "I was only asking a genuine question about the results", dragging the argument in different directions "how many people here really are A1", and playing the victim card "I'm the one being bullyed here". It's tiresome and transparent.

Well cited! Glad you are on the ball!

Many more have been more rude to me since then El.

I did a poll on the numbers of A1s etc here so can use that for reference.

Glad you are getting tired of this and I am coming across as transparent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

So Boards is now a results service ! hardly !!

Last weekend, the result of the Harry Reynolds race was up there on Saturday evening .....
    And Sunday's race results were there that evening also ...... We can all thanks Peter Purfield for this hard work year after year !

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you are A4 you are A4 - there's no only about it. I would not be so condescending. Everyone to their own - if someone wants to write ad infinitum about races so be it - nothing I can do to stop them. They have a point even if it's merely to express themselves, act as a diary for themselves or even egotisically to make themselves merely feel better.

There you go again, claiming not to be condescending but having a dig anyway. Whether you being condescending intentionally or not, that's how it comes across.

Before you starting taking the piss we were quite happily exchanging race reports and learning from each others experiences.

I wouldn't have started racing if it hadn't been for the reports posted last year and the encouragement from other boards posters, and I'm not the only one. So whether you think they're egotistical babble or not, they have value to people.

biker_joe wrote: »
    So Boards is now a results service ! hardly !!

Last weekend, the result of the Harry Reynolds race was up there on Saturday evening .....
    And Sunday's race results were there that evening also ...... We can all thanks Peter Purfield for this hard work year after year !

Joe

Well spotted - it is in fact a discussion forum I gather. But it ain't beyond the realms of possibility that results can be posted eh?!

Lumen wrote: »
    There you go again, claiming not to be condescending but having a dig anyway. Whether you being condescending intentionally or not, that's how it comes across.

Before you starting taking the piss we were quite happily exchanging race reports and learning from each others experiences.

I wouldn't have started racing if it hadn't been for the reports posted last year and the encouragement from other boards posters, and I'm not the only one. So whether you think they're egotistical babble or not, they have value to people.

I gather some reports may be purely informative - well and good! what more can i say.

Fair play if you took up racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Billy Whizz

I did a poll on the numbers of A1s etc here so can use that for reference.

There are quite a few people on here who try to remain anonymous and didn't vote in your poll.

You seem to be claiming some sort of superiority over a bunch of A4s who are new to the sport and enthusiasically reporting on their experiences.

I doubt you'll get a race report from the A1/A2 race. If you must...
    "Break went early, wasn't in it, Armstrong bridged with two others, too strong, won it in a 2-up sprint."

However I didn't win that race, so didn't feel qualified to respond to your initial request. If you wanted results and/or some feedback from the higher categories, please don't ask for it in a way that condescends a lot enthusiastic new riders. Everybody has to start somewhere, and a lot of experienced riders who are actively involved in the promotion of their sport will welcome the enthusiasm of the A4 riders.

There are quite a few people on here who try to remain anonymous and didn't vote in your poll.

Id have to take your word for it :rolleyes: meh

You seem to be claiming some sort of superiority over a bunch of A4s who are new to the sport and enthusiasically reporting on their experiences.

Not at all ! Fair play to them!

I doubt you'll get a race report from the A1/A2 race. If you must...
    "Break went early, wasn't in it, Armstrong bridged with two others, too strong, won it in a 2-up sprint."

That was my point!

However I didn't win that race, so didn't feel qualified to respond to your initial request. If you wanted results and/or some feedback from the higher categories, please don't ask for it in a way that condescends a lot enthusiastic new riders. Everybody has to start somewhere, and a lot of experienced riders who are actively involved in the promotion of their sport will welcome the enthusiasm of the A4 riders.

I doubt any A1 / A2 rider would contribute reports here regardless of who asked for it or how nice they were in asking.

Everybody does have to start somewhere - very true.

A lot of experienced riders who are actively involved in the promotion of their sport will welcome the enthusiasm of the A4 riders - true too - what can I say!

Fair enough Bob, maybe we have taken you up wrong.

I accept paraphrasing was maybe a mistake; I wasn't motivated to look up all the individual posts or get into a game of citation but was merely trying to convey the general impression given to me (and it would appear, many other posters) by your tone.
    "Any actual results or lads just massaging each others ego on this thread ??"

"would be more beneficial if people posted results rather than paragraphs about how they DIDNT win!!!"

"Everyone to their own - if someone wants to write ad infinitum about races so be it - nothing I can do to stop them. They have a point even if it's merely to express themselves, act as a diary for themselves or even egotisically to make themselves merely feel better."
    Michelin wrote: »
    I do take a keen interest in domestic racing at all levels from A1 tru to A4 and on sunday eve I remember the results were a good bit later gettin on the usual outlet (irishcycling & facebook) so I came here to see if they had been posted. I too am eager on a sunday eve for results as I am unfortunatly not in a position to get to them. I appreciate and enjoy reading the race reports (if the're not too long) but for me on sunday eve I would have appreciated someone posting results, I dont assume the right as its hard remember a top 6, but even the winner would be useful. I dont think its too much to ask for?

Emphasis mine. Your statements have a tone quite different to the way Michelin made the same point above that he is interested in the results. Your tone comes across to me as snide and dismissive. Michelin's does not. As Lumen says, you seem compelled to take a dig while making your point.

Perhaps you could take from this that on the internet in particular which is a non-verbal medium without the benefit of body language that it can be easy to rub people up the wrong way.

I think we can take from this that you like to see results.

I appreciate your congratulations on the race I won and appreciate the posts you make about news going on in pro racing and Irish riders on the continent which are informative.

I doubt any A1 / A2 rider would contribute reports here regardless of who asked for it or how nice they were in asking
    Ryan Sherlock gave a report from one of the National Road races last year.

Edit: Ryan didn't win, maybe he should have kept it to himself.

Ryan Sherlock gave a report from one of the National Road races last year.

Edit: Ryan didn't win, maybe he should have kept it to himself.

any links to that? thanks

• Advertisement

I doubt any A1 / A2 rider would contribute reports here regardless of who asked for it or how nice they were in asking.

It's not uncommon for successful losers to publish race reports, e.g. Chris Horner's Team Radioshack Diary.

Not sure about road races, but possibly Pete's referring to the 2009 National Hill Climb Championships - Gap of Mamore thread, which has reports from several losers. :)

Damnit. I knew you'd ask. I'll be back in 10 minutes.

And I'm back....
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60948513&postcount=42
    And here are links to reports:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62144959&postcount=31
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60966912&postcount=44

blorg wrote: »

I think we can take from this that you like to see results.

Powerful deduction! it took you this long to come to such a conclusion!? Surely the intermittent insults were unnecessary?

Please respond - or is every challenging comment merely water off a duck's back for you?

Thanks, looking at Ryan's blog it looks like he was into blogging etc before he started racing at a high level? (correct me if I am wrong). Would be interesting if there's anyone that was racing at a high level and then got into blogging/reporting?!?

(correct me if I am wrong)

Look where that has got us.

Look where that has got us.

Seriously please do correct me if I am wrong. I know absolutely nothing about Ryan except what Ive come across on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

What exactly is your interest in the results Bob? I mean, I was just thinking there, what do you get out of it?
    "
    Like you said, it's not on Eurosport, it's amateur racing. Are you rooting for one club? In which case you could just follow their twitter/forum. Are you looking for some guys you know to see how they are getting on? In which case you could ask them to text you how they did after.

I mean, if I had "been there and done that" in a sport, I would find it hard to differentiate between the report of a guy who didn't place and the results of another bunch of guys I don't know who grabbed the top 10. Surely it's all the same? It's all of no consequence to you unless you have some vested interest.

Again, you said this is all back slapping and ego stroking, which is why I might be equally interested in some long winded race report from the back and who got placings. I just want to know what your angle is? In my mind I'm seeing those middle aged Dads who become red faced at U13s rugby games, screaming at a bunch of kids as they try and relive some of their former glories (I'm not saying this is you, just I have actually seen this kind of carry on). They aren't rooting for Ireland or even just their own son, it would be acceptable if they just encouraged them, but you seem to get the odd few who are almost livid that these kids don't know some more advanced rugby tactics. I remember one guy was actually swearing constantly when I was at one of my brother's games when he was younger, it was pretty sad.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    What exactly is your interest in the results Bob? I mean, I was just thinking there, what do you get out of it?
    "
    Like you said, it's not on Eurosport, it's amateur racing. Are you rooting for one club? In which case you could just follow their twitter/forum. Are you looking for some guys you know to see how they are getting on? In which case you could ask them to text you how they did after.

I mean, if I had "been there and done that" in a sport, I would find it hard to differentiate between the report of a guy who didn't place and the results of another bunch of guys I don't know who grabbed the top 10. Surely it's all the same? It's all of no consequence to you unless you have some vested interest.

Again, you said this is all back slapping and ego stroking, which is why I might be equally interested in some long winded race report from the back and who got placings. I just want to know what your angle is? In my mind I'm seeing those middle aged Dads who become red faced at U13s rugby games, screaming at a bunch of kids as they try and relive some of their former glories (I'm not saying this is you, just I have actually seen this kind of carry on). They aren't rooting for Ireland or even just their own son, it would be acceptable if they just encouraged them, but you seem to get the odd few who are almost livid that these kids don't know some more advanced rugby tactics. I remember one guy was actually swearing constantly when I was at one of my brother's games when he was younger, it was pretty sad.

Among other things, I am interested in domestic cycle racing - is that a crime or against the charter on boards??? :eek:

What a question to ask me! Why don't you write to the Irish Times and Irish Independent and ask them why they publish results - you would get a good definitive answer!!

• Advertisement

Powerful deduction! it took you this long to come to such a conclusion!? Surely the intermittent insults were unnecessary?

Please respond - or is every challenging comment merely water off a duck's back for you?
    I'm trying to be a bit conciliatory here. No-one has a problem with your asking for results. What is objected to is the tone of your posts. Do you think you could tone it down a bit and we could all get along? Just re-read and think about the phrasing before you press the submit button.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement