Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What annoys you while driving our roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    One quick question. What forums are the people who do all these things that annoy us in?

I'm sure that some of them don't use boards.ie, and of those that do, they could be interested in any forum :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

The junction of Haddington Road/Grand Canal Street/South Lotts Road/Bath Avenue/Shelbourne Road. Don't approach it from any angle unless you want to turn left.

As previously mentioned aggression has no place on the road. Every good driver make the wrong decision sometime so cut the guy in front some slack if they make a mistake.

One quick question. What forums are the people who do all these things that annoy us in?

This one , we all annoy each other from time to time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I want to get a foghorn and a very large sub woofer attached to my next car, once anyone does something stupid Im gonna scare the wits out of the country with the horn and brown note those mo fo's with some sub bass!!!! :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobgreenmonster

Drunk drivers
    Uninsured drivers
    Drivers who think road tax and nct certs are for other people.

And all those feck1n roundabouts in Portlaoise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just getting ready to be peed off - driving up the N7/M7 tonight!

Only one thing that annoyed me! Someone driving with no rear lights - they got pulled by the gardai though :D

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Only one thing that annoyed me! Someone driving with no rear lights - they got pulled by the gardai though :D

That was a stroke of luck for you?...Did you just happen to be following them at the time. You not liking people driving with no rear lights anall.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

L drivers on motorways drivin in fast lane, they shouldnt even be on motorway, people tail gating going throught express lane in tolls, people at tolls not having change ready, people wont pull over on straight stretches but pull in when no view, people wont overtake on straights but decide to do so when bend approaching etc. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Bonito wrote: »
    If I'm on a roundabout that I'm unfamiliar with I'll use the outside lane. I'll indicate properly but rather than potentially causing an accident I'll take the outside and take my time. Sometimes a bit of patience is needed TBH.

When people do this on roundabouts, I will take the inside lane on the roundabout and overtake them.

Only yesterday morning some idiot ahead of me took the outside lane of the roundabout to take the last exit. I duly overtook him.

Nothing and I mean nothing is worse than the car in front accelerating when they see another person is trying to overtake them.

That and overtaking lane hoggers. Blood boils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

What is annoying and confusing is the way people refer to inside and outside lanes on a roundabout which are exactly the opposite of hiow they would refer to them on a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

When going round a roundabout, indicating clearly and someone at the 2nd exit, waiting to enter the roundabout sees you approaching, hesitates and then pulls right out in front of you. Happended to me yesterday with a female beemer driver. She pulled out fairly quickly and i flashed her once. No acknowledgement at all but she slowed completely down then which was even worse. I flashed her a few times before taking my exit. This happens me loads.

People seems to think they can't get ahead of car that is moving when they are fully stationary. You can almost see them thinking about it before they act so you have to be prepared.

• Advertisement

That used to happen me all the time in my old car, not so much anymore though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The Cock Gobbling Ass Clowns who pootle along in the outside lane of the Motorway, realise that you are coming up behing them and pull in to inside so you can safely overtake - and then pull back out to the outside lane (while I'm pulling back in to the inside lane) to carry on their journey.

This annoys me so much more than it really should do, and if it were legal to carry weapons in cars in this country, there would be a few people at the side of the motorway, half in / half out of the car, with a sizeable hole in their big, fat, stupid melon head.

R.O.R wrote: »
    The Cock Gobbling Ass Clowns who pootle along in the outside lane of the Motorway, realise that you are coming up behing them and pull in to inside so you can safely overtake - and then pull back out to the outside lane (while I'm pulling back in to the inside lane) to carry on their journey.

This annoys me so much more than it really should do, and if it were legal to carry weapons in cars in this country, there would be a few people at the side of the motorway, half in / half out of the car, with a sizeable hole in their big, fat, stupid melon head.

And its mostly women I have experienced that do this - as you said it annoys me so much more than it should too

R.O.R wrote: »

I'd say you got that load off your mind, now I'm going to wash my big fat melon head?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

If you miss your exit on the motorway, it is not acceptable to reverse back. Just turn around at the next one you prat.

If you are in the inside lane of a roundabout when you should be on the left lane, you can go around!! You don't have to cut in. Happened last night.

Never reverse on a roundabout, its just not ok.. Mr X5 man, thats for you.

Missed ur turn-off on a dual carriageway. Don't do a U turn. Prick!!

I don't suppose all those people are dictating messages in their cars? Holding ur phone up like a dictaphone while its on speaker mode is not hands-free. Where did that come out of!!

People on the phone on roundabouts should be shot.. Any objections?

If the fast lane is closed up ahead, then merge lanes NOW, don't skip ahead to the end because I won't let you in then buddy. Stick ur merc up ur hole.

Drive at a reasonable speed or pull over and let the mile of traffic past.
    I'm not keen on extreme overtaking so don't push me.

"If the fast lane is closed up ahead, then merge lanes NOW, don't skip ahead to the end because I won't let you in then buddy. Stick ur merc up ur hole"

Have to disagree and nominate you as part of the trouble....zip merging its called....the cars reaching the pinch point merge in turn to form a single lane...if you form a single lane miles before the pinch point, you are just making the queue longer and in danger of causing congestion at some point back down the road.

Lady in the honda at the newport roundabout last night:

If you see me on the roundabout and you arent on it, please dont just pull out in front of me causing me to swerve in order not to hit you

Dumbass

If you miss your exit on the motorway, it is not acceptable to reverse back. Just turn around at the next one you prat.

If you are in the inside lane of a roundabout when you should be on the left lane, you can go around!! You don't have to cut in. Happened last night.

Never reverse on a roundabout, its just not ok.. Mr X5 man, thats for you.

Missed ur turn-off on a dual carriageway. Don't do a U turn. Prick!!

I don't suppose all those people are dictating messages in their cars? Holding ur phone up like a dictaphone while its on speaker mode is not hands-free. Where did that come out of!!

People on the phone on roundabouts should be shot.. Any objections?

If the fast lane is closed up ahead, then merge lanes NOW, don't skip ahead to the end because I won't let you in then buddy. Stick ur merc up ur hole.

Drive at a reasonable speed or pull over and let the mile of traffic past.
    I'm not keen on extreme overtaking so don't push me.

Was this all in the one day?...... And I think you'v broken every rule in the thread with those names you'v called out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

What about the w o m a n driver on the M50 one night, doing 60kmh in the middle lane, being undertaken by other cars doing 80kmh. I approached fast behind her at 100kmh. I didn't want to slow down to take the inside lane, so I gave her a double flash of the lights. She BRAKED in front of me, then indicated RIGHT, then moved to the OUTSIDE lane, going slower there than she was in the middle lane!

I swept past her in the middle lane, giving her a blast of an air horn. The motorway is no place for drivers that incompetent. There should really be a two tier licensing system, with a low tier for nervous or incapable drivers who pass a moderate driving test, but should never be let near a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

That was a stroke of luck for you?...Did you just happen to be following them at the time. You not liking people driving with no rear lights anall.
    I'd say you got that load off your mind, now I'm going to wash my big fat melon head?
    Was this all in the one day?...... And I think you'v broken every rule in the thread with those names you'v called out?

why are you nitpicking at other peoples posts?

yes yes i realise the irony of me asking this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

corktina wrote: »
    "If the fast lane is closed up ahead, then merge lanes NOW, don't skip ahead to the end because I won't let you in then buddy. Stick ur merc up ur hole"

Have to disagree and nominate you as part of the trouble....zip merging its called....the cars reaching the pinch point merge in turn to form a single lane...if you form a single lane miles before the pinch point, you are just making the queue longer and in danger of causing congestion at some point back down the road.

+1. If both lanes are open, use them.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No one lets you out at junctions anymore. You've got to force your way out almost everywhere.
    No cops around to enforce anything.
    Queue jumpers. Tailgaters.
    Buses who pull out with no warning.
    Pedestrians who can't cross a road safely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

This is available from any good book store, should you not have the funds to purchase a reasonable sat nav.

Next time you are going somewhere you're not too sure is at, look at it BEFORE you leave to get a good idea of where you are going. Don't go along at 30KMH on a national road looking from side to side for signs, and take a turn off 4km down the road after passing 3-4 exits

Its simple, if you need to turn off onto the R123, you look to see what the turn before it is for, and its for the R456. So when you get to the R456 turn you know your's is next. Its even easier on motorways. If you wanna go to Ikea its Exit 4, so when you get to exit 5, move into the driving lane and get ready to exit. Simples. Basic navigation should be part of the test

And yes, I did make my 1st visit to that symbol of swedish finery on Friday. C*ck in a merc flew over from inside lane across 3 lanes of traffic into the slip lane, right infront of me just before the exit, and was infornt of me all the way to the car park, with a few frantic lane changes inbetween. The girlfriend had to hold me back from going over and socking the idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ok in no particular order.

people who have no patience.

It drives me mad. I was pulling out of a junction once and there were cars approaching so I had no chance of pulling out. The guy behind me starting beeping his horn violently. I got so mad and knowing I have a solid hitch on the back of my car I was tempted to put my car in reverse, revs down and make s**t of your mans car but I know Im smarter than that.

people that drive 4x4's / SUV's for luxury.

Unless you intend to use them for work purposes (i.e pulling trailers or loads or need them offroad) then there should be absolute no need for them on our roads.

people that drive with mobile phone held up to their ears.

people who drink drive.

People who drive with defective headlights.

People who tailgate.

Boy racers and modified cars.

Sunday drivers.

Road markings that are faded and impossible to see.

Roads that dont have catseyes.

Roads that are poorly repaired.

Potholes and how the council are not liable to pay if you damage your car while using the road.

Mini roundabouts.

Slow moving vehicles that block up the whole road by not pulling in off the road when they get a chance and then there is a huge queue of cars behind the vehicle.

Foreign drivers who dont display tax disk or insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

teednab-el wrote: »
    Foreign drivers who dont display tax disk or insurance.

Little bit off topic, but a few years ago family from The Netherlands got the boat over to spend a few weeks driving round Ireland. Took some holidays and went with them for the crack. I was driving the car on the N9 (fully insured mind you, I checked, and the car had Dutch tax, and NCT equivalent.) Was pulled by plod at a checkpoint who wasn't too happy when he saw my (full) Irish licence. They wanted to charge me with having no valid Irish tax and insurance, and whatever else. I had to get a letter from my own insurer to clarify I was covered to drive the car, and my aunt had to get an affidavit signed and witnessed by her local police station that the car was normally resident in Holland, and that they were just on holidays. Had to take this to Thomastown garda station (about 100 miles from where I live), to get it all sorted. Didn't help that her police station had written the statement in dutch:p

However, foreign drivers who are actually living here and ahve their cars here, apparently above the law really annoys me

bongi69 wrote: »
    Little bit off topic, but a few years ago family from The Netherlands got the boat over to spend a few weeks driving round Ireland. Took some holidays and went with them for the crack. I was driving the car on the N9 (fully insured mind you, I checked, and the car had Dutch tax, and NCT equivalent.) Was pulled by plod at a checkpoint who wasn't too happy when he saw my (full) Irish licence. They wanted to charge me with having no valid Irish tax and insurance, and whatever else. I had to get a letter from my own insurer to clarify I was covered to drive the car, and my aunt had to get an affidavit signed and witnessed by her local police station that the car was normally resident in Holland, and that they were just on holidays. Had to take this to Thomastown garda station (about 100 miles from where I live), to get it all sorted. Didn't help that her police station had written the statement in dutch:p

However, foreign drivers who are actually living here and ahve their cars here, apparently above the law really annoys me

It is against the law for any foreign registered car to be driven in this country by an Irish resident.you were lucky to get off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

corktina wrote: »
    +1. If both lanes are open, use them.
    While I'm all in favour of zip-merging (although Irish drivers, as usual, are clueless on the subject, generally), I disagree in these circumstances. If you are given early warning that a lane is closed up ahead, traffic will flow better if you change lanes before you come to the pinch point, as no-one has to slow down to check that they are being let in or slow down to let someone in. This is assuming traffic is light enough to still move freely. In the event that traffic has built up and is stopped anyway, then both lanes should be used. It only takes one or two bargers to cause traffic to stop and create this scenario in most cases.

Of course, the likelihood of proper signage and early warning of lane closure is minimal anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

blastman wrote: »
    While I'm all in favour of zip-merging (although Irish drivers, as usual, are clueless on the subject, generally), I disagree in these circumstances. If you are given early warning that a lane is closed up ahead, traffic will flow better if you change lanes before you come to the pinch point, as no-one has to slow down to check that they are being let in or slow down to let someone in. This is assuming traffic is light enough to still move freely. In the event that traffic has built up and is stopped anyway, then both lanes should be used. It only takes one or two bargers to cause traffic to stop and create this scenario in most cases.

+1 Driving up the north a good bit these days and on the A1 where the road goes from 2-> 1 lane for roadworks everyone merges into the left lane within 400-600 metres of the lane closure, works very well. You get the odd southern-reg newbie who skips the whole queue though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

People who approach green traffic lights and get slower and slower almost waiting for them to change to red.
    Same foke doing 50kmph on country roads then when the get to town increase speed to 60-70kpmh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

BostonB wrote: »
    No one lets you out at junctions anymore. You've got to force your way out almost everywhere.

Buses who pull out with no warning.

Those 2 are the same problem,buses or trucks or anything large find it hard to get across or onto a road so you simply have to barge out for want of a better word.The man that lets you out to cross the road but keeps inching forward closing the space to swing around is as big an idiot as the one who wont even dream of letting you out in the first place. :mad:

Advertisement