Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What annoys you while driving our roads

Options

Comments

Lack of truck/pit stops along major routes. Driving in UK and on the Continent every few miles are toilets, shops and room to take a break and walk around

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

To avoid undertaking on the M50 this evening I had to move from the driving lane to the middle lane to the overtaking lane 11 times this evening between the Finglas and Stillorgan junctions.

That annoyed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

draffodx wrote: »
    To avoid undertaking on the M50 this evening I had to move from the driving lane to the middle lane to the overtaking lane 11 times this evening between the Finglas and Stillorgan junctions.

That annoyed me

Thank god that m50 is up there i hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

in no particular order.....

People who don't indicate
    Potholes
    People who park in ridiculous places
    People who use mobile phones while driving
    Suv drivers who think they're king/queen of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

There are quite a few things that drive me daft about drivers on Irish roads:

- Not sticking to a speed - 40 to 50 to 30 to 50 to 40 to 30 to 50 - driving behind one of those is bloody annoying especially when they either hop on the brakes every ten seconds or don't bother using the brakes at all!

- Travelling along at 70 miles an hour and then boom the car in front hops on the brakes with no warning and sticks on the indicators with the car parked diagonally across the road so you either hop the ditch to get past or slam on the brakes and pray!

- The first one with the erratic speed who then floors it if you try and overtake!

The list goes on but those are the main ones

SD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

The main complaint here is indicating.

I see it every time I use a roundabout beside me.

I end up sitting waiting as every car exits beside me on the right. I would estimate 1 out of 10 indicate - at most.

N4 roundabout users heading in to Sligo town; you are meant to slow down, have an old look to the right before bowling onto the roundabout and INDI-flippin-CATE.

I'm not willing to have a heart attack on the school run because you're in a rush.

/and breeeeaath...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Middle lane hoggers.

db7b7a31620df21e10945c6f1c97f9bb.jpg

Drivers of these and any other Toyota.

Has Nissan been mentioned anywhere? They bug the hell out of me too for the same reason Toyota drivers do - they drive way too slowly.

4X4 drivers - a$$hol€$!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

445279.ie wrote: »
    Fog lights and no fog :mad:

I've never understood why this annoys people (i don't do it btw!).

But fog lights are not even close to being bright enough to blind / distract you. At most they're the same brightness as dimmed lights, and are on the ground too! I think a lot people just don't like them being on because they think, that the fog lights person thinks, that the lights look cool when theyre on!

The two main things that annoy me are:

- people who basically come to a full stop to turn a corner / turn off the main road.
    - people oblivious to what's happening behind them. Whatever about them not stopping in the correct lane / spot / part of the road and generally making themselves impassable in the city - these guys are normally the cause of the 3-mile "car trains" when driving down the country...!

I don't use the horn to vent my frustration, i always try and catch their eye and give a subtle, yet clearly dissapproving, head shake to let them know that I, and my fellow other driver brethren on the road, think that they are retarded and shouldn't be allowed to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Farmers driving '95 or '96 Corollas @ 40kph:mad:

Eejits driving in front of me at night time, who brake when they see the headlights of an oncoming car!! What the fcuk are you braking for for ffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

People who dont appreciate that everyone is not as good a driver as them and wont cut anyone any slack. everyone is just trying to get where they are going.

Old people in micras who just want to get from A-B but should stay at home alone instead cause they drive too slow, its not other road users fault your not as sharp as you once were , I dont care that you paid a lifetime of tax to build these roads, get outs my way.

Stupid arrogant people in Audis who judge your driving by the brand of car you drive.

People in 4 x 4's - I don't know you or your lifestyle or where you live but if your car has a D reg you should not have one, no I don't care that you have 6 dogs and 10 kids and a farm, I don't need one so you don't either.

Country Drivers, where do you get off not knowing where you are going in a unfamiliar place. You should study the map before crossing the M50, You should drive around the city as fast a possible, the signposts will subliminally merge into you subconscious.

City Drivers, how dare you not be comfortable blasting down a cratered booreen at 120khp.

Warning may contain sarcasm

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

1. Average joe driving 60km/h in 100kh/h, and when you overtake them they flash you like crazy!

2. TDI BEASTS like Audi's, passats. I swear to god, they drive more wreckless then any boy racer out there.

3. Soccer Mama's in huge SUV. 90% there is no reason to need such big car. They nether " thank", give to pass, if you actually let them pass, they wount even notice, thinking they got gods right power.

4. people on mobile phones,when they trying to get throught junction.

5. Road speed markings: 100km/h where you can barely do 70km/h. 100km/h on roads which are motorways...

6. Sport car bashers, seeing a car which has ability do 0-60 in less then avarege lunch box, makes them furiuos and unpredictable.

7. people who dont let pass "gardai", "ambulance" cars with lights on and screaming...

I dont know exactly what kind of rule we have here, but i allways go closest i can get to slow line and allmoust stop to let them pass as fast as possible. While i did that few days ago, about 6 cars in front of me didnt even move, so garda car had to jump around to pass them... Next time they might be going to your house to help you...

/flameshield up
      / female rage repelent applied
      /pray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Paparazzo wrote: »
      Did you ever drive through a town with mass on? Complete chaos!

It does seem like the most christian people are the least christian drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

wow where to start on the state of driving in this country ..

there are way too many people in our country who have no clue how to drive properly,mostly i reckon due to our laws not being enforced as in a while ago you could go out get a provisional hop in a car without lessons and teach yourself ,so driving your way and not the correct way .

i could make a list that would go on forever ill try not to

people not using indicators pulling out in front of you

pepople who start in one lane on a roundabout and end up using the two lanes to take the sencond exit off it .

tail gaters (and the ones who start geting mad when you try to make them stop doing it )

people who make an error like nearly crashing into you and then when you beep them they look confused as to what they did

cheeky bas***ds who flash you out of there way even though youre doing the speed limit (i never move for theese people )

and people who drive out on the white line (theres a thing called driving position) and it has a purpose

thats enough for now .ahhh nothing like a good rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

tail gaters (and the ones who start geting mad when you try to make them stop doing it )

people who make an error like nearly crashing into you and then when you beep them they look confused as to what they did

cheeky bas***ds who flash you out of there way even though youre doing the speed limit (i never move for theese people )

+1 this morning on the M1 myself and a 3.0 tdi behind were overtaking some articulated lorries when some bell end in a 318 undertook the audi behind me and pulled in behind me near up to my bumper. I held a constand speed of 125 'til I was able to move back in to lane safely. Not a hope was I gonna be swerving in to let this bell end past me.

When I finally pulled in cue the Audi storming past behind the bmw and undertaking him and blizting him in the process. I couldn't help but smile. Twat deserved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,258 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

one thing, among many of late, that is really annoying me, is the M11. Drive on to it every day and far too often the person in front of me, in the overtaking lane, will reduce speed from the 120 they were doing on the M50 mere seconds before to 100, for no reason, and I end up stuck behind them and beside the traffic in the driving lane. I reckon they need bigger 120 signs on the M11 coming off the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bad manners on the road it never hurts to be courtious on the roads and people who dont say thanks when u let them out in etc how hard is to wave a hand to say thks ignorant f**ckers.

Oh and the belgard road my daily commute to work 2 lanes wide 80kph speed limityet you always get 2 cars going 40 kph driving side by side.

bad manners on the road it never hurts to be courtious on the roads and people who dont say thanks when u let them out in etc how hard is to wave a hand to say thks ignorant f**ckers.

Oh and the belgard road my daily commute to work 2 lanes wide 80kph speed limityet you always get 2 cars going 40 kph driving side by side.

thats annoying alrite ,people doing half the limit on some roads

or the ones who do it in the overtaking lane on the m50 grrrrrrrrr :)

Bonito wrote: »
      +1 this morning on the M1 myself and a 3.0 tdi behind were overtaking some articulated lorries when some bell end in a 318 undertook the audi behind me and pulled in behind me near up to my bumper. I held a constand speed of 125 'til I was able to move back in to lane safely. Not a hope was I gonna be swerving in to let this bell end past me.

When I finally pulled in cue the Audi storming past behind the bmw and undertaking him and blizting him in the process. I couldn't help but smile. Twat deserved it.

:D:D good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Most nissan micra drivers, wtf do they not know those cars can do more than 50kph, and those orange lights on the four corners are used to indicate what direction you are turning.
      Lose the imaginary 40 foot trailer your towing as well, its not necessary to swing right onto the middle of the road before you turn left, unless of course you are pulling the 40 foot trailer.

Thank you........I have to agree......I just see one and my blood boils.....anytime
      im driving anywhere one always pulls out in front of me!

I wish they were banned and their drivers too!:D

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by dirtydiesel
      Most nissan micra drivers, wtf do they not know those cars can do more than 50kph, and those orange lights on the four corners are used to indicate what direction you are turning.
      Lose the imaginary 40 foot trailer your towing as well, its not necessary to swing right onto the middle of the road before you turn left, unless of course you are pulling the 40 foot trailer.

Thank you........I have to agree......I just see one and my blood boils.....anytime
      im driving anywhere one always pulls out in front of me!

I wish they were banned and their drivers too!

totaly agree ...my brother does this in his car its not a micra now but still why do you need to ,swing out wide before you take a corner.its a car not a truck ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

FOG LIGHTS BUT NO FOG!

I always have people telling me, ah but sure they're always low to the ground.

Right get behind me when it gets dark and I'll switch mine on. They ain't low to the ground and will blind you a bit, then you can toss off eith your "ah sure they're always low to the ground"

That and idiots who see you from far down the road but still insist on having full beams on until the get about 10ft away from you. If you can see my lights, YOU KNOW I CAN SEE YOURS SO KNOCK THEM OFF! And they get annoyed if you flash them momentarily blinding them. Twats

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭rb25

those blue tint HID headlights that seem to be on newer cars.

they are really blinding for oncoming traffic but provide great visibility for the driver of the car with the HIDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I've never understood why this annoys people (i don't do it btw!).

But fog lights are not even close to being bright enough to blind / distract you. At most they're the same brightness as dimmed lights, and are on the ground too! I think a lot people just don't like them being on because they think, that the fog lights person thinks, that the lights look cool when theyre on!

They are an unfocused light that is blinding to be driving against and in front of,I often dream of getting out and shooting or kicking these lights off the car of the stupid person that has them on.And if you get the excuse that I can see better with them on,tell them go to specsavers.

I love checking to see how the brakes are working on the trailer,yes officer a black cat ran across in front of me and that man in his avensis skidded into the crash bar.:)

and people who drive out on the white line (theres a thing called driving position) and it has a purpose

There's nothing worse than meeting them people on a straight stretch of road,you never know whether they are asleep or what.
      Yawns wrote: »
      That and idiots who see you from far down the road but still insist on having full beams on until the get about 10ft away from you. If you can see my lights, YOU KNOW I CAN SEE YOURS SO KNOCK THEM OFF! And they get annoyed if you flash them momentarily blinding them. Twats

I think you may find it works better if you put on full lights and leave them on until they dim.If they are too uncourteous to dim with oncoming traffic then I've no sympathy for them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

They are an unfocused light that is blinding to be driving against and in front of,I often dream of getting out and shooting or kicking these lights off the car of the stupid person that has them on.And if you get the excuse that I can see better with them on,tell them go to specsavers.

I.

fog lights shine straight ahead whereas dippied lights shine down and to the left....

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

corktina wrote: »
      fog lights shine straight ahead whereas dippied lights shine down and to the left....

They do in their ****e shine straight ahead.They shine everywhere else but straight.Up,down,to the left,to the right,shaking all about,there's even a song about them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

sunday drivers drive me insane on the road. They are so dangerous when they are driving beyond slow and can cause accidents forcing the driver behind them to overtake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

teednab-el wrote: »
      sunday drivers drive me insane on the road. They are so dangerous when they are driving beyond slow and can cause accidents forcing the driver behind them to overtake.

nothin worse than sunday drivers arse-ing around in their saloons when you are trying to GET to work on time :mad:

ye just know come monday morning they'll be driving up the arse of someone or pelting up a bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

the state of the roads in this country and the lack of interest by county council,rsa the guards etc to make sure the roads are in a safe condition to drive on.

the lack of knowledge of road signs/markings and rules of the road by about 75% of the motorist's in this country
      the people who have no clue of how to use lights in this country.. when its raining heavy parking lights are not worth a can of cat piss (the clue is in the name) also people who pull in on the side of the road on the phone etc and leave their full or dims on!!! have to say front fog lights dont bother me at all but rear ones left on bug the crap out of me... ok so there might be heave fog but i know your in front of me i dont need a blinding red light in my eyes to remind me!!

people who drive in dublin every day and know the roads and expect every body thats there to know them as well... give people a break.. it doesn't cost anything to be polite.. its easier to let someone out of a wrong lane than flash lights/blow horn and curse at them when they are trying to get home safely. the lack of respect and courtesy towards other road users in this country is terrible......

the most stupid driving test in the world..

thats about all for now lol

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not forgetting the queue jumpers who are really annoying but not half as annoying as the prats who let them in!

Advertisement