Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What annoys you while driving our roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

its the over taking lane not the go fast lane.
    and the empty left lane on the M50(thats not the hard shoulder):pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

going past a school at 9am or 3pm. Its like a sante fe appreciators convention.

"Look how far and fast i can swing the doors open to ensure my precious Auburn or Paris get to school in style."

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Where do I start. I concur with a number of points made thus far but I don't have time to read them all.

Why O why do people use their fog lights when there is no fog?

Why do people tailgate?

This annoys me more than anything though - Why are there so few people on Irish roads that know how to use their indicators and the correct lanes on an approach to a roundabout?

You only use the right lane when you are turning right. YOU MUST INDICATE YOU ARE GOING RIGHT and then indicate left just as you make the turn off the roundabout.

Use the left lane when turning left or going straight on. INDICATE LEFT IF YOU ARE GOING LEFT.

I think so many people in this country need a crash course on negotiating roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MattKane wrote: »
    You only use the right lane when you are turning right.

wrong
    I think so many people in this country need a crash course on negotiating roundabouts.

including you.

You can use the right lane if the "straight ahead" exit has 2 lanes on it (N11 at loughlinstown being an example), or where road signs or arrows direct you otherwise. There are many roundabouts where the left lane is signed for turning left only and all other exits must use right lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

wrong

including you.

You can use the right lane if the "straight ahead" exit has 2 lanes on it (N11 at loughlinstown being an example), or where road signs or arrows direct you otherwise. There are many roundabouts where the left lane is signed for turning left only and all other exits must use right lane.

OK, maybe I should have made this more clear. My reference was to a simple four exit roundabout. You know the type, your bread and butter roundabout. For exiting on the first or second exit you use the left lane on approach. For exiting the third exit you use the right lane and indicate appropriately.

The reason I say is I use one of these roundabouts everyday going to work. I approach it on the left lane to go straight on (hence using the second exit). Then some arsehole comes up beside me on the right lane and nearly forces me off the road when they go to take the same exit as me.

Obviously with more complex roundabouts, like what you're getting at, you follow the instructions on the signs and the road.

Sorry chief, in this case I don't need a crash course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ballytrim

OK, maybe I should have made this more clear. My reference was to a simple four exit roundabout. You know the type, your bread and butter roundabout. For exiting on the first or second exit you use the left lane on approach. For exiting the third exit you use the right lane and indicate appropriately.

The reason I say is I use one of these roundabouts everyday going to work. I approach it on the left lane to go straight on (hence using the second exit). Then some arsehole comes up beside me on the right lane and nearly forces me off the road when they go to take the same exit as me.

Obviously with more complex roundabouts, like what you're getting at, you follow the instructions on the signs and the road.

Sorry chief, in this case I don't need a crash course.

I've been trying, unsuccessfully it seems, to make the same points.
    Point is that in most towns, ie on normal single carriageway town roads, when you get to a roundabout there are no posted/indicated 'lanes' as such, it is simply the case that the road itself fans out where it meets the roundabout. The roundabout is 2 'lanes' wide going around it, unmarked usually, and people 'take up a position' on the left or right hand side when they get to the roundabout junction as it is blatantly obvious one should and there is plenty of room to do so.
    Roundabouts with lanes indicated clearly which are then abused is a different and more annoying thing altogether.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Oooh I couldn't pick just one!

People not using their indicators
    People not looking when reversing
    All the frigging ramps everywhere !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

going past a school at 9am or 3pm. Its like a sante fe appreciators convention.

"Look how far and fast i can swing the doors open to ensure my precious Auburn or Paris get to school in style."

+1.

clondalkin.jpg

This image shows New Road in Clondalkin. On this road we have a large secondary school, and 3 primary schools right across the road. The parking lots in the schools can be negated. They're for staff only.

Its not a wide road, so come school letting out time, parents tend to park on both sides of the road to collect little Johnny or Siobhan, creating a line of parked cars around 250-300 meters long. They can't park half up on the path either, paths aren't wide enough. So this reduces the width of the road to 1 car passing safely. 2 can squeeze, but will probably lose wing mirrors along the way. Throw in the lollipop lady for good measure.

So you have to wait at the end of the line of cars for the way to be clear, and then proceed. But you're guaranteed that when you're half way through, some muppet comes flying down in the opposite direction, and will expect you to try to pull in to some imaginary space to let them through. And then Johnny's parents will either not look for traffic and pull out infront of you, or worse, pull out going the opposite direction to you, causing a repeat of the above situation. Or they'll see you coming, and pull out to do a u-turn anyway, leaving you sitting, and traffic building up. And then comes the lollipop lady. While she stops traffic, again someone will come down the opposite direction, and the fun ensues. Now imagine when a bus approaches, or worse, 2 buses going in the opposite direction.

This behaviour is my major pain in my ar$e. There are hundreds of houses within 20 mins walk, which I'm sure is where most of these kids live. If mummy is staying at home and can pick up the kids, could she not walk and get some exercise? Maybe, with Johnny playing his PS3 all day indoors, this exercise will keep him from becoming obese, with obese kids becoming a major health concern in this country? I don't have kids, and I don't live near these schools, they're just on my daily route. If I did have kids, and was in the position to pick them up, I'd take a walk to the school with the dog to pick them up. The local school is 15 mins walk away. And if my kids were in secondary school, I'd trust them enough to either take the bus or walk home. I did it.

Other than that, I think everything else that pi$$es me off has been mentioned, especially people not knowing how to correctly use indicators, or not using them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I hate people that speed up and are nearly on top of you when they see an amber light in the hope of going through the red with you. (You have no time to stop when you see amber light a metre before the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

down ramp onto motorway... sign clearly states 120 on the ramp, yet people proceed to drive down at 60 and try to merge with traffic travelling twice as fast...

When someone pulls fast out of a side road in to your lane and then for some reason decides to change from first to 4th (or so it would seem) and drive at a snail pace until the car speeds up, forcing you to hit the brakes...

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    down ramp onto motorway... sign clearly states 120 on the ramp, yet people proceed to drive down at 60 and try to merge with traffic travelling twice as fast...

When someone pulls fast out of a side road in to your lane and then for some reason decides to change from first to 4th (or so it would seem) and drive at a snail pace until the car speeds up, forcing you to hit the brakes...

Even those people that dont use the whole length of the slip lane to build up speed and just pull out - thats annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 benzie

This is my list:-
    1. Women who plaster their faces while driving
    2. People who don't indicate
    3. People who text or talk while driving
    4. People driving with folded side/wing mirror
    5. Cars with one light at night.
    6. People who do not appreciate when you let them pass, give way.
    7. Taxi Rank near the corner/JCT/traffic lights ( bewleys hotel Ballsbridge )
    8. People parking < 5m from the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

b'tards who skip the q's on the m50 off ramps.
    they just drive up on the outside lane skipping scores of cars waiting to exit the motorway and just jump in at last minute causing everybody else to brake.
    totally dangerous and illegal.
    one day im going to drive straigh into one of these mother f**kers as i dont give a flying f**k about my car.....well just a little:D
    does my brain an injury though that type of ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

benzie wrote: »
    4. People driving with folded side/wing mirror

Yes! As a cyclist, this one bugs the hell out of me. The number of times I've come up on the near side and nearly been creamed because the muppet in front of me suddenly decides they want to turn left. a) they don't indicate b) how the feck are they supposed to notice me with a folded wing mirror? A couple of times in slow traffic I've actually stopped the bike and adjusted the mirror for them. The look on their faces is priceless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

bongi69 wrote: »
    +1.
    If mummy is staying at home and can pick up the kids, could she not walk and get some exercise? Maybe, with Johnny playing his PS3 all day indoors, this exercise will keep him from becoming obese, with obese kids becoming a major health concern in this country? I don't have kids, and I don't live near these schools, they're just on my daily route. If I did have kids, and was in the position to pick them up, I'd take a walk to the school with the dog to pick them up. The local school is 15 mins walk away. And if my kids were in secondary school, I'd trust them enough to either take the bus or walk home. I did it.

Oh Man am I with you there:D Our local village school is on a narrow road, and the Mammies don't park -- they just abandon their vehicles wherever. They will happily stop all traffic while they unload their offspring, who generally appear as dim as they are. They are quite capable of mixing up reverse gear and first gear and coming at you backwards, and when they have unloaded they always pull out without looking if anything's coming. If passing during the cannonball run I creep at ten mph and mentally recall the number of the local bodyshop.

The best I saw a while ago was a YM pulling out of her house in a socking great 4x4 a quarter of a mile from the school to drop off a fat infant because it was raining slightly:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Where do I start. I concur with a number of points made thus far but I don't have time to read them all.

Why O why do people use their fog lights when there is no fog?

[A]---That can be a problem because some people just forget to turn them off when the fog has passed.

Why do people tailgate?

[A]---More than likely because their car is bigger than yours [or mine] and they wast us to move over.

This annoys me more than anything though - Why are there so few people on Irish roads that know how to use their indicators and the correct lanes on an approach to a roundabout?

[A]---I agree with you

You only use the right lane when you are turning right. YOU MUST INDICATE YOU ARE GOING RIGHT and then indicate left just as you make the turn off the roundabout.

[A]---You can use the right lane on a roundabout to go straight ahead [provided you stay in that lane when you have completed your move]

Use the left lane when turning left or going straight on. INDICATE LEFT IF YOU ARE GOING LEFT.

[A]---correct!

[A]---I agree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

"and then indicate left just as you make the turn off the roundabout."

no, you indicate left at the previous junction

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mail4liam

sesna wrote: »

Well that certainly puts this thread into perspective, I wonder how long it I'll be before it's closed now!

Just getting ready to be peed off - driving up the N7/M7 tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

sesna wrote: »

lol i found out that quite funny

"Did I f**k?"

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

bothyhead wrote: »
    Yes! As a cyclist, this one bugs the hell out of me. The number of times I've come up on the near side and nearly been creamed because the muppet in front of me suddenly decides they want to turn left. a) they don't indicate b) how the feck are they supposed to notice me with a folded wing mirror? A couple of times in slow traffic I've actually stopped the bike and adjusted the mirror for them. The look on their faces is priceless :)

Unfortunately if they've gotten to where they are with the mirror folded in, chances are they aint looking at it either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

mail4liam wrote: »
    Well that certainly puts this thread into perspective, I wonder how long it I'll be before it's closed now!

I should have known better than to impinge on such an otherwise highbrow discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Hope somebody can help as there is alot of drivers on this blog.
    My girlfriend loves the VW Passat but is wondering before she test drives how many make up mirrors it has, and if there is one on the drivers side does it illuminate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

ocokev wrote: »
    Hope somebody can help as there is alot of drivers on this blog.
    My girlfriend loves the VW Passat but is wondering before she test drives how many make up mirrors it has, and if there is one on the drivers side does it illuminate?

Cute :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

The whole N3 inbound bus/m50/merge lane when joining from the blanchardstown sliproad. I obeserve on a daily basis three types of drivers.

1. Guy using the bus lane to get to the M50 lane...forcing people joining from the slip to brake as they will keep pootling along with no regard for anybody

2. The Bus/taxi man who will not merge into the driving lane inbound but instead keep going down the now M50 lane right to the absolute limit then force their way into traffic at the lst second causing everybody else to brake.

3. The guy that leaves the driving lane when approaching the roundabout and moves into the M50 lane at the blanchardstown roundabout then proceeds to go straight onto the roundabout cutting up whoever is unfortunate enough to try and stay in the lane they currently are in.

Pretty much if you follow the rules on this road in the mornings you will get cut up or forced to let somebody in, have to jam on at some stage everyday to facilitate the ignorance/arrogance of the above types of drivers.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    The whole N3 inbound bus/m50/merge lane when joining from the blanchardstown sliproad. I obeserve on a daily basis three types of drivers.

1. Guy using the bus lane to get to the M50 lane...forcing people joining from the slip to brake as they will keep pootling along with no regard for anybody

2. The Bus/taxi man who will not merge into the driving lane inbound but instead keep going down the now M50 lane right to the absolute limit then force their way into traffic at the lst second causing everybody else to brake.

3. The guy that leaves the driving lane when approaching the roundabout and moves into the M50 lane at the blanchardstown roundabout then proceeds to go straight onto the roundabout cutting up whoever is unfortunate enough to try and stay in the lane they currently are in.

Pretty much if you follow the rules on this road in the mornings you will get cut up or forced to let somebody in, have to jam on at some stage everyday to facilitate the ignorance/arrogance of the above types of drivers.

Yeah! and these are the one's with the lovely shiny Full Driving Licences?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

1. Baby on board stickers , it should be renamed to 'im a careless driver normally not a male who will pay any amount of attention to my kids and none to the road because my renault scenic has 5 star safety rating and that automatically means i can drive like a f*cktard

2. people on the phone/ wearing headphones / putting on makeup / reading a book / texting while driving

3. taxi drivers in general

4. anyone who drives a (not-so)smart car , new mini, fiat punto , peugot 206, renault scenic

My old favourite pet hate on the Road, I can't go on enough about it.
    Taxi drivers who hop along the bus lane when there only supposed to be traveling at 60 k/m and they are driving faster then the cars on the road proper and then they just pull out in front of your car, just to go past a bus!

I hate buses also, the way the bus stops at the stop and puts out his indacator to pull out and the passengers have not left the bus....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The junction of Haddington Road/Grand Canal Street/South Lotts Road/Bath Avenue/Shelbourne Road. Don't approach it from any angle unless you want to turn left.

As previously mentioned aggression has no place on the road. Every good driver make the wrong decision sometime so cut the guy in front some slack if they make a mistake.

One quick question. What forums are the people who do all these things that annoy us in?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement