Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What annoys you while driving our roads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ballytrim

Audi Q7's or whatever they're called. You know those really big Audi 4x4's! What the feck do you need one of those for? Taking the wee ones to school? Supervalu car park (the one in Trim is mental)? Lidl? Hairdressers...

BMW X5's with tyres wider and slicker than an F1 racing car.

BMW X3's, lets face it they're cr@p and you only got it because you couldn;t afford the X5!

Garda cars with broken lights.

Detour signs that take you off in one direction and are followed up by absolutely shag all!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

corktina wrote: »
    What annoys me?

Irish drivers.

FYP. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

barry81 wrote: »
    I hate that!:mad:

I admit I have done that a few times, but only when the person "over taking" was being an ass and trying to undertake me before reaching the car I was over taking in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

TheColl wrote: »
    • Motorcyclists who weave in and out of traffic

Hahaha

They only pee you off because they don't get held up by the traffic. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

P.C. wrote: »
    Hahaha

They only pee you off because they don't get held up by the traffic. :P

Yep, that's true I suppose! But also when you see someone doing it dangerously, really annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

ballytrim wrote: »
    Audi Q7's or whatever they're called. You know those really big Audi 4x4's! What the feck do you need one of those for? Taking the wee ones to school? Supervalu car park (the one in Trim is mental)? Lidl? Hairdressers...

BMW X5's with tyres wider and slicker than an F1 racing car.

BMW X3's, lets face it they're cr@p and you only got it because you couldn;t afford the X5!

Garda cars with broken lights.

Detour signs that take you off in one direction and are followed up by absolutely shag all!
    ;)

+1 on all of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

A pal of mine was telling me that he was driving home on the Motorway in the inside lane. He was driving at max road speed 120km indicated overtook the car in his lane as it was dying on the hill. As he was passing the car he spotted a car closing behind him flashing his lights, as he had completed the move the car that was closing, then overtook him by driving half on the road and the grass verge, Thus making three lanes.

The guy who had overtaken him pulled of to the hard shoulder got out of his car at this stage my mate had indicated and pulled into the hard shoulder also. He was with his wife and they were a bit shook up with the experience, This driver who had done the overtaking came back to him and started shouting at him for pulling out in front of him.

My mate looked at this guys car and saw two little kids looking out through the back window. He was feeling sick at the thought that this guy was travelling at about 150km with the kids in the car, He said to me I honestly don't know where the car came from, it was moving so quick. Could he not have just slowed down rather than pass you by I asked, he said as he saw him passing him he moved in to the middle of the road to allow this guy to miss the barrier in the middle of the road.If he had not of done this there could have been many injuries or even death on that road. That was a scary moment he said he'd never forget.....

A pal of mine was telling me that he was driving home on the Motorway in the inside lane. He was driving at max road speed 120km indicated overtook the car in his lane as it was dying on the hill. As he was passing the car he spotted a car closing behind him flashing his lights, as he had completed the move the car that was closing, then overtook him by driving half on the road and the grass verge, Thus making three lanes.

The guy who had overtaken him pulled of to the hard shoulder got out of his car at this stage my mate had indicated and pulled into the hard shoulder also. He was with his wife and they were a bit shook up with the experience, This driver who had done the overtaking came back to him and started shouting at him for pulling out in front of him.

My mate looked at this guys car and saw two little kids looking out through the back window. He was feeling sick at the thought that this guy was travelling at about 150km with the kids in the car, He said to me I honestly don't know where the car came from, it was moving so quick. Could he not have just slowed down rather than pass you by I asked, he said as he saw him passing him he moved in to the middle of the road to allow this guy to miss the barrier in the middle of the road.If he had not of done this there could have been many injuries or even death on that road. That was a scary moment he said he'd never forget.....

An every day story on our roads.

I bet the rage-machine had a 'Baby on board' sticker in the back window as well and I would also wager that it was either a 4x4 or other perceived 'upmarket' type of car, BMW, Merc etc.

The young ones are always laid out as the bad drivers but in my experience, and I drive the country every week, the worst driving generally comes from such 'respected' middle-aged members of the community who would be aghast at such.

And just one more, now that MOTD is underway!

Parking on double yellow lines outside a Garda station, particularly when it has a car park anyway - like Trim. If the Guards can't be arsed sorting out what's on their own doorstep?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

barry81 wrote: »
    Young lads in lowered cars swerving everything that resembles a pothole.

I generally try and avoid potholes anyway because i dont particularly fancy making sh!t of my alloys in a pothole..Which leads me to what annoys me while driving our roads: the shockingly bad state of most of the roads in this country..RSA spends so much time talking about road safety, having proper fucking roads in the first place would help greatly decrease accidents!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 angry_bob

Anan1 wrote: »
    This idea that the horn is for giving out seems to be very common - all it should mean is 'I am here'. For example, I always use the horn if i'm undertaking a car blocking the overtaking lane on a motorway. I don't do this to give out, I do it so that they know that i'm there and don't pick that moment to move back into the driving lane.

That's very nice of you, informing an idiot driver that you are performing an illegal manouever. Superb job.

Shems in general... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Testament1 wrote: »
    I generally try and avoid potholes anyway because i dont particularly fancy making sh!t of my alloys in a pothole..Which leads me to what annoys me while driving our roads: the shockingly bad state of most of the roads in this country..RSA spends so much time talking about road safety, having proper fucking roads in the first place would help greatly decrease accidents!!:mad:

While I agree with avoiding potholes I was referring to the mad swerves over the white line for something that resembles a pothole. Every little bump in the road!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

I live in the back end of no where.
    Since Gormley and his friends introduced their policy of destroying Irish rural community life by allowing housing estates to be built in rural villages we have the situation of hundreds of couples coming to live in the "country" for the first time with their children.
    The first thing they feel they must do is buy a 4x4, after all we are in the country now and this is what country people do. Then they drive their 4x4's straight down the middle of the road well this does take up a lot of space on the road, the rest of us in our cars(hic) must drive in the ditches to allow these 4x4's pass us bye, women after all cannot judge distances too well, as testified to by our glorious leader Adolf Gormley and his associate train using "from the country" whats her name black brown whatever,the townies elected her anyway, because true country people just would not be duped by the silly statements accredited to her or indeed to anything associated with her.

Of course the vast majority of these townies living in the country who drive 4x4's vote green................its true

Dont even get me started on how "country" townies driving to the town use roundabouts.........

road planners please note : Roundabouts DO NOT FUNCTION IN IRELAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Other people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Hitting a pot-hole the size of a fúckin toilet bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

People who amble along increasing and decreasing their speed constantly and then, when I get to a safe stretch and proceed to overtake them, they will make a dive into the hard shoulder as if I was going to run into them. If it isn't such a big deal for them to pull over and let faster traffic through then why not do it before we have snaked along for three miles waiting for a straight stretch.

Also the people who will drive behind a slow driver almost touching their bumper but will not overtake. If you are not in a hurry that's all well and good but please back off from the slower driver in front a bit so that the rest of us dont have to overtake two cars in a row, leave a bit of space for faster traffic to overtake ye one at a time. Thank you

And people who brake when meeting oncoming traffic on a straight road with wide lanes why oh why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

I hate it when people don't dim their lights:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Brake tippers do my head in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You really have it bad!... you should travel on the Dart and you won't have any problems!,,,

I would have huge problems getting to Cork....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

It's gotta be the foglight brigade,muppets who think its cool or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

It's gotta be the foglight brigade,muppets who think its cool or something

oh ohh...someone said f*g l*g*hts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

corktina wrote: »
    oh ohh...someone said f*g l*g*hts :eek:

Ha,ill say it again! :D

****ers wreck my head

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

People on a motorway doing about 50 - 60kph

GET THE **** OFF AND USE THE ALTERNATIVE ROUTE IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE SLOWLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ballytrim wrote: »

Never a truer word spoken.

See also: Audi Q5,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Where do I start.
    • People that brake every time they see oncoming traffic
    • People that swerve every time they see oncoming traffic
    • People that indicate WHILE turning, but give no indication as to what the **** they are doing before that
    • People that indicate for 3 miles AFTER turning, FFS can you not see/hear the indicator clicking
    • People that can't use roundabouts
    • Most 4x4 drivers (I say most, as there are still a few that are ok)
    • Tailgaters
    • People that drive at a constant 45mph, on main roads, towns, past schools, in car parks, its 45mph and thats it, no faster, no slower
    • Foglights
    • ****e roads
    • Badly repaired roads
    • The council deciding that after they have laid a nice stretch of good tar, that they forgot something, dig it up again, and leave it in a jock
    • TDiddleyI drivers, with the red DI. Its a diesel, not a Porsche
    • One Eyed Bandits (Cars with only one headlamp working. Usually leave the other one on full beams, so they can see where they are going)
    • Taillights being out
    • People who modify cars, that have absolutely no taste/or sight by the looks of some of them
    • People that cover the parcel shelf in teddies, completely obscuring their view
    • People that cover their rear window in "Princess on board" and "I'm Lovely and Brilliant" type stickers, completely obscuring their view.
    • People that crawl around twisties, and then bomb along on the straights, and then jam on the stoppers at the sign of a bend
    • People that can't figure out parking spaces
    • Car parks that have parking spaces that are obviously too small. I only drive a Focus Mk1.5, and some of the spaces are ridiculous
    • Poor planning of roads
    • Dickheads driving while on their phones, its illegal, put the phone down or pull over, the call isn't THAT important that it can't wait a few minutes
    • Stopping on a yellow box. How can you not be aware of the road?
    • People parking outside the cathedral in Cavan. Why do the rules not apply to you? Don't park at the side of junctions, don't abandon ship in the middle of the ****ing road, and don't park in retarded places
    • Complete lack of understandable road signs in Ireland, as a whole
    • The fact it takes about 53 men to fill a pothole with some loose gravel, a smidgen of tar, and bang it with a shovel, and reverse the truck over it to flatten it
    • Brutal placing of speed limits
    • General belief that people have a right to do what they want on the roads
    • General belief that people have a right to drive, its not a right, its a skill, one that you have to master

That'll do for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

What annoys you enough on the road to start blasting and shouting other drivers off it.?
    1. Lights. Can't understand the point of gettin a green light, while 50 meters after another light changes to red stopping all the traffic. The city gets stuck because of that.

2. People who drive beside each other on a 2-way road/motorway, so that the whole road is blocked.

3. Idiots, who either don't turn their lights on at night, or use the side lights only.

4. People who do make-up's on trafiic lights.

5. People who chat on the mobile and drive at 20km/h

6. People who slow down to 0,00001 km/h just because they have to turn right. Extremely difficult and dangerous indeed.

7. People who drive behid me in a car with no adjusted lights, so that I have to eventually stop and let them pass by.

And a few more I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

What annoys me,? How long have we got.
    #Tailgater's
    #Under Takers
    #Muppet's driving imported cars with big exhausts,
    #The big exhaust must be to try and resemble a certain part of their body
    #Two Muppet's following each other and showing off.
    #Muppet's nearly sitting in the back of the Muppet car while driving and you --can hardly see them.
    #Muppet Dolls,who I address as Mis Piggies who are worse than Muppet's
    #4x4s who drive up your Arse trying to move you off the road.
    #4x4s with little tiny GI Jane's who have to parachute out the door when they stop.
    # Mobile phone users while driving.
    #Drivers who amble along in the overtaking lane while the inside lane is free.
    #Articulated truck drivers overtaking at a seconds notice( they think there ---driving their normal car}
    # Bikers who overtake between two cars, as if we weren't there.
    # Women adjusting their make up while driving.
    # Muppet's who try to impress Mis Piggies with their big egos while driving.

#I'm sure I'll be back with more later..............

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

The guy pulling a horse box near Callon Co.Kilkenny today,he was towing a large horsebox with a Peugeot partner van! When I came up behind the horsebox I couldnt see what was towing it so theres no way he could see what was behind him. Managed to pass him safely
    2 horses in the box and the front of the van was lifting off the road. I was only passing through so I doubt our paths will cross again but if your from that area watch out for him cos his a real danger to any road user.
    White beat up partner van on kk plates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

SpringerF wrote: »
    I live in the back end of no where.
    Since Gormley and his friends introduced their policy of destroying Irish rural community life by allowing housing estates to be built in rural villages we have the situation of hundreds of couples coming to live in the "country" for the first time with their children.

Off topic I know but I felt I had to pull this up.....

The only policy over the last 40 years that has ended up with city dwelers living in the country is that every parent outside of the Pale thinking that their children should be a Teacher / Nurse / Civl Servant and sending their little Jonny's off to Dublin to do so. I should know , im the end result of what I said and what you just mentioned, purely because I couldnt afford to buy a house where I came from over the last 15 years. Irony ha! :confused::)

Advertisement