Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What annoys you while driving our roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

This country's total and utter obsession with traffic lights.....

Councillor talking to his planning mate ...

"Ohh there is a small estate ( which I got a nice brown envelope for changing the zoning on ) coming out onto a main road, I bet some people would vote for me if I got a set of lights on there !!! "

Planning mate

" Ohh ok , my brother owns a nice traffic light install business , Ill put a set in there no problem , after all it's nearly 200m from the other 3 sets on that road , we can't have people driving through this town can we ! "

Stop go systems on main arterial road , for gods sake you can'd cause 30-40 mins delays on the main Dublin - Limerick ( or where ever ) road .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Davidth88 wrote: »
    This country's total and utter obsession with traffic lights.....

Councillor talking to his planning mate ...

"Ohh there is a small estate ( which I got a nice brown envelope for changing the zoning on ) coming out onto a main road, I bet some people would vote for me if I got a set of lights on there !!! "

Planning mate

" Ohh ok , my brother owns a nice traffic light install business , Ill put a set in there no problem , after all it's nearly 200m from the other 3 sets on that road , we can't have people driving through this town can we ! "

Stop go systems on main arterial road , for gods sake you can'd cause 30-40 mins delays on the main Dublin - Limerick ( or where ever ) road .

you can get tablets for paranoia you know....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Other drivers especially in the city center who don't let a single chance go by where they can bully learner or less experienced drivers by honking at them at lights, passing rude comments/gestures, giving mean looks and the lot...

Why can't drivers be just a little more patient. Its not the end of the world if the car in front of you takes more than 2secs to move off when the lights go green!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

When you are turning left at a yellow box junction and traffic is backed up right to the box, the tool at the other end of the box who anticipates the traffic moving and pulls into the box to prevent anyone getting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ballytrim

I've never understood why this annoys people (i don't do it btw!).

Rear fog lights, particularly but not exclusively, on cars with lights on both sides
    can easily lead to any brake light indication being missed in the glare! Particularly in rain at night. This is obviously dangerous.

Volkswagen cars with round brake lights and indicators in the centre of these, who thought that was a good idea? Muppet.:mad::confused:

Junctions with 2 lanes going straight ahead and only one lane on the other side! This is lazy planning and is deliberate as the planners figure it will help the traffic 'flow' when it's busy. Never mind that it encourages aggressive and dangerous driving.

Ditto those cases when all the signage, when there is any of course, leading up to a junction or roundabout changes at the last minute and allows aggressive drivers to justify shooting along and pushing in a the end.

Those eejits, particularly on country roads, who half pull in when there is a huge space of some sort a few yards ahead of them where they could pull in and not be in anyone's way!

People who drive on side lights, you don't know when one could be out and leaving you visible on one tiny side light! People who drive on sidelights AND front fogs at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

People that don't know how to use roundabouts, you should know where you're going, if you dont then you cant just do what you please, if you have to go around again then thats better than cutting people off.
    Bonito wrote: »
    if it's a small roundabout yes I can but if it's a large roundabout with trees and mounds of flowers that I can't see over and has no sign 'til you actually reach the exit you want then the outside lane is where I'll use. The only people I'll be holding up is those entering the roundabout at the 2nd exit but my indicator wont be on to take that exit so they should stay put.

The majority of roundabouts that have 2 lanes to enter it have 2 lanes on the exit of it so the only chance of an accident is if the person on the inside lane who knows the roundabout decides to swerve and exit in to the outside lane - the one I'll be using.

Left lane is for turning left/going straight
    right lane is for turning right but can be used to go straight if circumstances allow.
    hence
    People that think they know how to go around roundabouts but never checked to see if they really knew what they were doing was right, not sure ballytrim if this a typo or you are taking the mick, but this makes it sound like you fault someone from going straight in the offside(right)lane when you intend to cut across them to turn right from the nearside (lefthand)lane.
    ballytrim wrote: »
    Roundabouts - The clue is in the name! Go around the feckin thing!
    Don't start in the left-hand side and go straight across cutting me up on the inside when I'm turning right!
    Don't start in the left-hand side when you're going to take the 3rd, or more, exit - ie 'turning' right effectively!
    Don't take up a position on right-hand side, inside, and go straight on cutting me up on the other side!
    Don't turn left, 1st exit, without indicating leaving me and a line of traffic behind me waiting even longer to try and get out because we can't read your feckin mind and others of your ilk and it is a major contributor to traffic delay.
    Don't indicate right when you're going straight on, 2nd exit.

Also
    people that stop at merging/slip lanes to cut across the traffic (use the lane twat) or because they just dont get it?
    Badly sequenced lights, get a green, proceed then light few hundred metres away goes red before you get there, unless you had floored it, hence encourages people to speed/drive dangerously.
    People that reverse around roundabouts
    people that indicate incorrectly on roundabouts, honestly Id prefer if you didnt indicate at all, I'll prefer to guess rather than you indicate that you intend to turn right or go straight but then do the opposite
    people that are on the brakes on the motorway for no apparent reason, why?
    People that brake when they see oncoming traffic
    Gardai that break the rules when there is clearly no emergency, phones, driving on cycle lanes (ie motor bike on cycle lane attached to/on path)
    gardai, Not enforcing the rules properly for really dangerous stuff then coming down on someone like a ton of bricks for stupid things
    Gardai having no manners, youre not ****ing judge dredd, be professional, save the I am the law routine for drug dealers/utter scumbags
    people that wont let others merge or out
    people that stop a busy line of traffic to let a few cars out, I think it would move quicker if you let one out, go then every other car can let someone out.
    I'm sure there is more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Other drivers.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

corktina wrote: »
    not forgetting the queue jumpers who are really annoying but not half as annoying as the prats who let them in!
    This pisses me off no end... how can you let someone in from the bus lane after theyve passed out people sitting queued in th e traffic for 15-20 minutes?
    FFS, :mad: is not an angry enough emoticon for how I am feeling!

Max Power1 wrote: »
    This pisses me off no end... how can you let someone in from the bus lane after theyve passed out people sitting queued in th e traffic for 15-20 minutes?
    FFS, :mad: is not an angry enough emoticon for how I am feeling!

I knew there was more, Q jumping bastards no **** you, youre not more important than all the rest of us that waited in the Q, **** off and stay out there,
    Or people tearing down the bus lane and then squeezing in

Merch wrote: »
    People that don't know how to use roundabouts, you should know where you're going, if you dont then you cant just do what you please, if you have to go around again then thats better than cutting people off.

Left lane is for turning left/going straight
    right lane is for turning right but can be used to go straight if circumstances allow.
    hence
    People that think they know how to go around roundabouts but never checked to see if they really knew what they were doing was right, not sure ballytrim if this a typo or you are taking the mick, but this makes it sound like you fault someone from going straight in the offside(right)lane when you intend to cut across them to turn right from the nearside (lefthand)lane.

Also
    people that stop at merging/slip lanes to cut across the traffic (use the lane twat) or because they just dont get it?
    Badly sequenced lights, get a green, proceed then light few hundred metres away goes red before you get there, unless you had floored it, hence encourages people to speed/drive dangerously.
    People that reverse around roundabouts
    people that indicate incorrectly on roundabouts, honestly Id prefer if you didnt indicate at all, I'll prefer to guess rather than you indicate that you intend to turn right or go straight but then do the opposite
    people that are on the brakes on the motorway for no apparent reason, why?
    People that brake when they see oncoming traffic
    Gardai that break the rules when there is clearly no emergency, phones, driving on cycle lanes (ie motor bike on cycle lane attached to/on path)
    gardai, Not enforcing the rules properly for really dangerous stuff then coming down on someone like a ton of bricks for stupid things
    Gardai having no manners, youre not ****ing judge dredd, be professional, save the I am the law routine for drug dealers/utter scumbags
    people that wont let others merge or out
    people that stop a busy line of traffic to let a few cars out, I think it would move quicker if you let one out, go then every other car can let someone out.
    I'm sure there is more

No,that's not what I meant. If I have taken up a position on the left hand side of a roundabout to go straight on, ie 2nd exit usually,(the correct one on a single carriageway road) and I then proceed to go around the roundabout in the left hand 'lane', ie I don't just take the direct straight line route that would cut up anyone on my inside, and then the muppet who is on my inside decides they are going straight ahead as well and taking my exit then they are going to cut me up!

Have I made sense here?
    :confused:;)

• Advertisement

No,that's not what I meant. If I have taken up a position on the left hand side of a roundabout to go straight on, ie 2nd exit usually,(the correct one on a single carriageway road) and I then proceed to go around the roundabout in the left hand 'lane', ie I don't just take the direct straight line route that would cut up anyone on my inside, and then the muppet who is on my inside decides they are going straight ahead as well and taking my exit then they are going to cut me up!

Have I made sense here?
    :confused:;)

I thought it was a typo or a miscommunication as all your other info was spot on. I wasnt sure if you were joking as in, dont cut me off but if I wanna cut u off its ok as in sarcasm :)
    But its clearer to me now what you meant,
    When you put in (single carriageway) that makes sense as in the case of two lanes feeding into two on a roundabout the offside (right lane) can go straight also, which
    reminds me of my next gripe with roundabouts
    People in the left lane crossing into the right lane while on the roundabout and being oblivious to it, as in veering towards you and not having a clue that they are actually changing lanes, I always watch out for it, specially with certain drivers.

I was actually told this by someone who thought this was the correct way to go around the roundabout, "the shortest path" ie drive from the nearside lane to the offside lane and back to the nearside lane, when I questioned their shortest path method, I asked them why not just drive straight over the bloody thing if that was the case, they didnt find it that funny??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

also cant stand the amount of aggression on our roads.

Instead of driving, people turn it into an animalistic sport whereby if you drive a bigger car you have the authority to do whatever the hell you want.

The amount of times I have seen gob****es sitting in their cars, usually an Audi (im not stereotyping im just making an observation) and completely blocking junctions and when you beep them (which I tend to enjoy :P) they look at you as if you have ten heads.

Seriously, I dread every morning comin down the ramp in beaumont onto the M1, knowing i have to get across both lanes in a space of about 100m. Sometimes its grand, people bear in mind that im trying to get on my way..but some... are just absolutely pig ignorant, will look at you as they block you off, driving up the arse of the car in front of them. Always learned from my Dad that on Dublin roads you have to ascert(??) yourself, which I do but it feels so unessecary.

Far too many arseholes out there with their head jammed way up their hole.

Appologies for my bluntness, rant over :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Vans that use a filter lane to skip a queue and have idiots who let them in, delaying people who waited patiently to another red light. Others said, I'll say it again. Someone mentioned the Gardai. They enjoy a number of exemptions from traffic law and don't necessarily need their sirens on. +1 to those who mention aggression, some people go nuts if another car makes a small enough mistake. Aggression is never good on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Buses that pull out in front of me from a bus stop.
    Taxi Drivers hoping in and out of bus lanes.
    Pedestrian's People in general who just walk out on the road in front of me while I'm driving.
    Cyclist's who thump on peoples car roofs if they'r infringing in a cycle lane.
    People who don't wait at a crossing until a motorist stops to allow them cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Big **** in big vans

Tailgaiting

Idiots who drive in the middle of two lanes

Most people who drive on the M50 who seem to have not noticed that in most places THREE lanes and a further exit lane have existed for quite some time and especially those that hog the middle lane like deranged twats, completely oblivious to anything going on around them.

Various junctions on the Southside of the Quays in Dublin where drivers seem to float from lane to lane, ignoring any logical lane sequence.

People who speed through the Phoenix Park

People who have no idea how to use their lights correctly

People who don't indicate

People who ignore 'right of way'

Queue skippers pretending they didn't know that we are obviously queuing formerly to make that turn and pull a practiced stupid face of innocence as they barge their way in.

The idiots who fall for this.

Any dickhead that has one of those 'baby on board' stickers, thinking it gives them an automatic right to drive like an idiot.

Lack of any relative garda presence to deal with the intolerable level of aforementioned bull**** that considerate and thoughtful drivers have to contend with every day. They need to watch 'Road Wars' more - Chris and Andy would teach them a thing or two.

This is why I get the train, whenever possible.

Roundabouts
    From the Rules of the Road
    Available for download at www.rsa.ie

Going straight ahead;
    Approach in the left-hand lane but do not signal yet.
    Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
    You may follow the course shown in the illustration by the broken red line
    in situations where:
    • the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    • when directed by a Garda
    rules roundabout grab 1.jpg

Simple take:
    On a single carriageway road;
    When you approach a roundabout the road will fan out a bit to allow for 2 'lanes' ON the roundabout.With all exits also going on to a single carriageway road:
    If going straight on - position yourself to the left without yet indicating. Anyone approaching from the rear should then assume you are going straight ahead as you are not 'indicating' any other course of action. If a car arrives, whilst you are waiting for a gap in the oncoming traffic from the right to access the roundabout, and it takes up a position on your right, inside, you are entitled to assume they are turning right effectively and not taking the same exit as yourself straight ahead. You can't see their right hand indicator at this point.
    As you pass the 1st exit then begin indicating left to advise that you are taking the next exit.
    Roundabouts should not be viewed as an overtaking opportunity as it seems to some.
    Where I have issue with the RSA on this is that, as in other countries where the rules are more clear cut, then a dual-carriageway approach and straight ahead dual-carriageway exit you can stay on the inside track and exit straight ahead as long as you exit onto the right hand lane on the far side as well and do not veer across to the left lane as you exit.
    :cool::D
    It is also reasonable to assume, as not everyone seems to enjoy full use of their indicators, that when you approach a roundabout and there is already a car positioned to the right hand side leaving a chasm you could side-skid a bus through on their left, that they are going to go around the roundabout making a right turn. The fact is though that you'd be taking your life in your hands if you didn't watch out for the numptie going straight ahead, this also applies to when they are actually indicating right upon your arrival!:rolleyes::mad:
    The problem with all these scenarios is that your dammed if you do and you'll get away with it if you don't anyway as the guards seem to do feck all outside of speed traps and road checkpoints for tax.
    Why should I have to second guess these fools as each fool has a different take on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

INDICATE, YA PR*CK :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If I approach from behind some idiot at a roundabout and they are positioned to the right not indicating and I 'get the feeling' they are going straight on, as sure as eggs'r'eggs when I position myself to avoid confrontation/accidents/appearing aggresive even, then said eejit will turn right and someone else will come along and pass me on the left where I should have been! The only answer where space allows would seem to be to try and position oneself so that cars following behind you don't have enough room to safely/comfortably take up position on either side from you and this is just as wrong and is again adding to traffic flow delays!
    You have already recognised yourself that the left lane is the place to be so why pull up directly behind the other car in the RH lane. The car coming up your left is probably thinking that both of you are turning right because both of you are in the wrong lane for going straight (2nd exit).

If you suspect the other car is going straight then you should stay in the left lane but hang back a bit in case your feeling is correct. There's no need to straddle both lanes just in case some one else might do the same as him.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You have already recognised yourself that the left lane is the place to be so why pull up directly behind the other car in the RH lane. The car coming up your left is probably thinking that both of you are turning right because both of you are in the wrong lane for going straight (2nd exit).

If you suspect the other car is going straight then you should stay in the left lane but hang back a bit in case your feeling is correct. There's no need to straddle both lanes just in case some one else might do the same as him.

I've obviously tried to say too much in one go on one post, forgive me I'm new at this:D
    I always do what should be done with regard to roundabouts but was trying to explain what I thought it seemed everyone else on our roads had become accustomed to doing as a way of self defence and that this would explain some dubious positioning and practices.

It is a ROUNDABOUT!!:mad:
    INDICATE, ya tubes!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

• Approaching an unknown junction, say in left lane, and at the last second finding out that it's a left-hand-only turn. Please put additional road markings at a reasonable distance back from the junction.
    • Road signs obscured by over-grown hedges and trees. Please cut them.
    • People driving during the day with their parking lights on. Please use your *dipped* lights; bulbs are cheap.
    • Hand-held mobile phone users. Please stop.
    • Indicating as your are turning. Please indicate your intention before you turn, which will give the rest of us time to modify our own driving plan.
    • Brake-gear overlap :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

People who dangerously overtake you on national primary roads, even though you are travelling at 100kmp/h and there is a continuous line of 30 cars ahead of you so they have made no progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

On the way home last night passed a white van on the N7, they had their full beams on so put my rear fog on to let them know to turn off their full.

They did so and then they kept flashing me - Idiots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

- motorways in general, 90%+ of the population don't know how to use them
    - people hogging th right hand lane
    - tail gaters
    - people who drive 50km/ph on 100km/ph limit zones. Single lane national primary roads a prime example
    - people who change lanes without indicating
    - the way most people mouth 'F**k off' at you or wave their fist when you blow the horm at them cos they've nearly merged on top of you or diven into the back of you or done something else stupid
    - people who don't realise the difference between a green arrow and a green light (quite often results in someone mouthing 'f**k off'at me eventhough I'm in the right not making my turn until the filter light or full green light comes on
    - on the other hand people who wait for the filter light to turn right eventhough the full green light is on and they can turn as long as no one's coming. And in instances where this frustrates me there's never anything coming
    - nissan micras, fiat puntos, toyota Yaris and Avensis
    - a lot more I can't think of

Yesterday on the M11 (that's M as in MOTORWAY) 2 cyclists on the hard shoulder, 1 jogger and a tractor pulling a trailer on my way back in the dark! Glad they weren't speeding, they could have gotten into all sorts of trouble!

Its been mentioned before but incorrect use of your full beams - again last night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its been mentioned before but incorrect use of your full beams - again last night!

Had the same myself, last night seemed to be a particular bad one. Driving down the N4 and there was a load of cars coming towards me that were leaving their full lights on, even cars in the middle of say a string of 4 or 5.

But what particularly annoys me is when you go by a car which then continues to leave the full lights on, the odd car might understand why you're flashing your rear fogs and then knock them off but the majority are clueless. Even some who do switch theirs off put them back on again when you get a couple of hundred metres down the road.

Yeah thats exactly it - if you can see the car in front of you - switch off your full beams.

Next time I am leaving my rear fog on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Top 5 for me... at present

1. Farm machinery on dual carriageways motorways during rush hours.WTF
    2. Someone tail gating then passing you out then they indicate and pull into the petrol station, home etc.
    3 People strating on the inside lane on roundabout and then taking first or second junction.
    4 People blocking the yellow junction and not even noticing.
    5 People who show no thanks when you let them out of parking place onr into queue of traffic and are the same people who will block you as you attempt to pull into a queue of traffic.
    This will propably change this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yeah thats exactly it - if you can see the car in front of you - switch off your full beams.

Next time I am leaving my rear fog on

sshh.. don't mention the dirty word ..

• Advertisement

Then there are the @sswipes who think it is okay to have their full beam on all the time just because they're on a motorway or dual-carriageway!

Advertisement