Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu Vaccination + general swine flu chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Hey McDuane, welcome to the forum.

I'm going to break your post up a little for clarity, not to be penickedy about it :)

Just wondering if you are in the medical profession or work in the area of testing new medicines/vaccines?
    Regarding your comment above please explain your thoughts on how it is proved that a vaccine can cause any adverse reactions?? Clinical trials for the new swine flu vaccines Pandemrix and Celpevan are in process not complete. I do not understand what you are basing your reasoning on...

In answer to this I'd suggest that you look a little deeper into how this, and indeed other flu, vaccines are produced. I have posted already on this subject several months ago. The "swineflu" vaccine has more or less been around for donkeys, it was just a vaccine for a different flu strain. Every year, they decide on what flu variant looks like being the predominant strain, and insert the viral material into the vaccine. In this case they have inserted the relevant bit of H1N1. Other than this the chemical basis for this vaccine is similar if not identical to many other vaccines for flu produced over the years.
    With regards to Cormicar assuming that his wifes bleeding was as a result of vaccine. I would instead encourage cormicar's wife to submit a suspected adverse reaction form online at www.imb.ie

Most people are not told to do this if they suspect a reaction to a vaccine and it is only by reporting all suspicions that we can see the proper information and then make an informed decision on whether or not we chose to have a vaccine.

I'm in broad agreement with you here. Adverse reactions happen all the time, and by filling in the yellow (are they still yellow) slips in the BNF or reporting to the right authorities we do gain a very valuable insight into what are and what aren't linked reactions.

I agree that people should have all the RIGHT info before deciding what to put into their body. The key word here though is right, meaning factual and correct. I have an inherent distrust of anyone, be they anti-vaccine crackpot or the pharmaceutical industry, unless they can show me the data to back up what they are saying, and can answers the questions asked of them.
    If there were not any adverse reactions to vaccines then we would not be asked to sign on the dotted line and take full responsibilty when getting these vaccines.

All medical procedures, no matter how small carry a risk. Its important that the general population are aware of this. We don't operate in an ER/Scrubs scenario. There is no magic machine to diagnose all ills and there are no magic oink tablets that make everything go away. Medicine is not an exact science. People need to realise that. Sometimes we have to do things for the good of the many, and yes, there will be people who react badly, but there is an acceptable level of risk. There are acceptable margins of error. That may be of little comfort for the family of the patient who dies on the operating table, or has an adverse reaction to a drug, but its the truth. As hard as it is to say, doctors, nurses etc cannot base every decision on the 1 in 10000 chance of something going wrong. You act in the best interests of the patient.
    With regards to your comment on Jenny McCathy about link to autism. You seem to accept without question what you are told from medical profession. I hope that this continues to work for you in the future. There is a lot in medicine that cannot be proved definitively and at the end of the day people can but listen to what they are told and then make their own informed decision..

Autism is a bad example. The autism scare was a sham which has been completed discredited by pretty much everyone with a brain. The researcher who carried out the work, well, lets just say things are not looking good for him. I'll let you look into that one yourself.

Your right, lots of things can't be proven, which is why we encourage critical analysis of information. We we have journal clubs to dissect studies and claims. As moderator of this forum I wouldn't let a shill for a pharma company on here spouting unsupported evidence about a drug or treatment, the same way I won't let the conspiracy theorists hawk their half assed ideas.

Information is only as good as its source and the standards you apply to it. If i had my way, kids in secondary school would be taught how to critically analyse scientific papers, but thats another thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

mcduane_ie wrote: »
    Hey Dave

Just wondering if you are in the medical profession or work in the area of testing new medicines/vaccines?
    Regarding your comment above please explain your thoughts on how it is proved that a vaccine can cause any adverse reactions?? Clinical trials for the new swine flu vaccines Pandemrix and Celpevan are in process not complete. I do not understand what you are basing your reasoning on...

With regards to Cormicar assuming that his wifes bleeding was as a result of vaccine. I would instead encourage cormicar's wife to submit a suspected adverse reaction form online at www.imb.ie

Most people are not told to do this if they suspect a reaction to a vaccine and it is only by reporting all suspicions that we can see the proper information and then make an informed decision on whether or not we chose to have a vaccine.

If there were not any adverse reactions to vaccines then we would not be asked to sign on the dotted line and take full responsibilty when getting these vaccines.

With regards to your comment on Jenny McCathy about link to autism. You seem to accept without question what you are told from medical profession. I hope that this continues to work for you in the future. There is a lot in medicine that cannot be proved definitively and at the end of the day people can but listen to what they are told and then make their own informed decision..

Regards

Hi mate,

No I don't work in the area, I'm just interested in it

Regarding the clinical trials, they're ongoing, but so far show a similar safety profile to the seasonal flu vaccine (as one might expect). The vaccine has been administered to hundreds of millions worldwide, so it's probably fair to say if there was going to be a problem, we would see some signs of it by now. They're not reinventing the wheel, it's a flu vaccine, so there's no need to be especially concerned about this one. Vaccines have been around for over 50 years, they've gotten pretty good at making them, so they're able to use some deductive skills to predict that it won't suddenly make you grow an extra ear.

Certainly cormicar should report any suspected adverse reactions if he is so inclined, to help doctors monitor the vaccine. Side-effects are common with any medical treatment, and serious ones are possible also. It's just a question of whether the benefits outweigh the risks, and all national health authorities in the world that I'm aware of are advising that in this case they do.

I'd also suggest cormicar read the Irish Medicines Boards Q&A about the H1N1 vaccine:
    http://www.imb.ie/images/uploaded/documents/IMB_H1N1_Vaccines_Q&A_Oct2009.pdf

Regarding Jenny McCarthy: like most people, I can't know everything, and so I often accept based on reputation, knowledge, and past performance, the advice of not just medical authorities, but most authorities. I don't understand the fundamental principles underlying aviation, nor do I have access to the mechanics of the aircraft I use, so I can't check and see if it's in perfect working order (not that I would know even if I had access).

Thus, like your good self, I acknowledge that people spend years learning about these things, and I hope that they are regulated well enough that the plane will stay in the sky, and that vaccines are quite safe.

But for what it's worth, I've read a couple of the studies regarding autism and vaccines, and they're pretty clear. Group A was vaccinated, group B was not, is there any significant difference in autism rates between the two? No. And we also know that in identical twins (share 100% of DNA), if one is autistic, the other one is highly likely to be also, so there's probably a significant genetic component to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭cormicar

mcduane_ie wrote: »
    Cormicar

I would encourage your wife to fill out a suspected adverse reaction form online at www.imb.ie . By the way I hope your wife is well and not overly anxious after her experience.

Regards

Thanks mcduane_ie. My wife is better now and baby is still kicking away. I have asked her to fill out that online form that you suggested.
    Dave! wrote: »
    Hi mate,

Regarding the clinical trials, they're ongoing, but so far show a similar safety profile to the seasonal flu vaccine (as one might expect). The vaccine has been administered to hundreds of millions worldwide, so it's probably fair to say if there was going to be a problem, we would see some signs of it by now.

Dave, the swine flu was first detected in April 2009. Just remember that a pregnancy term lasts 40 weeks and until we see the effects on mother and baby, it is not fair to say that if there was going to be a problem, we would see some signs of it by now.

Okay mate

Glad the baby's okay, all the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 apathetic84

i got a call back via the postman for my second dose.I am getting it next week but I cannot find my card that they gave me.
    I know they require the letter that was sent out and the vaccine card, but what do you do if you cannot find the vaccine card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'd give them a ring on Monday morning tbh. Prob the best advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Thankfully I never got this vaccine.

I'm thankful that I did!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm thankful that I did!

Ditto.....
    I've two sisters who spent considerable lengths of time in hospital with swine flu- I'm only too glad I qualified for early vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I'm thankful that I did!
    same as!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

same as!

Ditto.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobbyhoskins

<MOD SNIP> Is there really any point in getting it at this point?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

<MOD SNIP> Is there really any point in getting it at this point?

AFAIK, Yes.
    It hasn't gone away, and the more people get it the better the chance of an overall herd immunity developing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

AFAIK, Yes.
    It hasn't gone away, and the more people get it the better the chance of an overall herd immunity developing.

What proportion of the population needs to be vaccinated for herd immunity to be effective?

WildBoots wrote: »
    What proportion of the population needs to be vaccinated for herd immunity to be effective?
    Obviously you'd have to check more reliable sources to confirm this, but wikipedia has a table with various threshold percentages for some illnesses. Not swine flu specifically though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

edit:

Here ya go (PDF file):
    http://www.bt.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/training/overview/pdf/eradicationhistory.pdf

Page 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Has anyone any idea of the general vaccine uptake rates? My kids got theirs this week through the school scheme. I was surprised (or maybe not) at how few people got it.

I'm also interested in this actually, could never find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LoopyLaura

What e ver happened to the swine flu. We didn't have the first outbreak, then the scientists had us braced for a second outbreak, that did not occur either.

Thank God I never got the shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

LoopyLaura wrote: »
    What e ver happened to the swine flu. We didn't have the first outbreak, then the scientists had us braced for a second outbreak, that did not occur either.

Well, the second wave may or may not happen.

But if you would be ballsy enough to ignore a new strain of pandemic flu, in the hope that good fortune will see you through, then A) very few people in the medical community would take you seriously and B) you'd want to have your medical insurance in order.

Thank god you never got the shot? Why? Cos you'd have grown an extra ear or somethin?

Thank god you never got swine flu instead

And thank god that the strain didn't happen to be particularly virulent

And maybe pray to your god to make sure it doesn't mutate, cos that's still a possibility

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Well, the second wave may or may not happen..

well it was due 6 months ago.

But if you would be ballsy enough to ignore a new strain of pandemic flu, in the hope that good fortune will see you through, ..

Oh I'm ballsy enough, no need to worry there.
    then A) very few people in the medical community would take you seriously.

Like I care.

and B) you'd want to have your medical insurance in order.

Don't have medical insurance.
    Thank god you never got the shot?

Thank god you never got swine flu instead

I never got either the shot or the flu.
    And thank god that the strain didn't happen to be particularly virulent

Oh but it was virulent, it cleaned out the health budget for billions.
    And maybe pray to your god to make sure it doesn't mutate, cos that's still a possibility

Shaking in my boots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

well it was due 6 months ago.

Oh I'm ballsy enough, no need to worry there.

Like I care.

Don't have medical insurance.

I never got either the shot or the flu.

Oh but it was virulent, it cleaned out the health budget for billions.

Shaking in my boots.

Well, the 2nd wave is expected april/may earliest. Bout 7 months later in Europe.

But thanks for your input. I'll make sure everyone is aware of your thoughts.

Over 800 hospitalised, and 24 deaths. Statistically we were incredibly lucky- if we were hit in a similar manner to almost any other country- we'd have at least 3 times this level.

I have a sister who was hospitalised on a respirator in New Zealand, unable to breath, from Swine Flu.

We were hit by a different, weaker strain, than many other places- and there is an upswing beginning to be tracked on the radar (as evidenced by the two deaths last week- months after the previous fatalities).

Look at what happening in Australia and elsewhere.........

Well, the 2nd wave is expected april/may earliest. Bout 7 months later in Europe..

The second wave was expected last September/October.

But thanks for your input. I'll make sure everyone is aware of your thoughts.

Cheers.

smccarrick wrote: »
    Over 800 hospitalised, and 24 deaths.

Wait a minute, people were not even tested for swine flu, they were diagnosed according to symptoms, are you aware that thousands of people die from the normal flu every year???

Wait a minute, people were not even tested for swine flu, they were diagnosed according to symptoms, are you aware that thousands of people die from the normal flu every year???

People were tested- until the preponderance of cases were such that the vast majority of lab results were positive. There are always several different flu strains in circulation- the different variants of swine flu make up the bulk on this occasion.

I am fully aware that thousands of people die from regular flu every year- but thousands of younger people who very often may not have any underlying medical condition- do not. Normally flu targets the infirm, the very young and the very old. Swine flu discriminates in favour of a different demographic.

Why are you so antagonistic?

People were tested- until the preponderance of cases were such that the vast majority of lab results were positive.

As far as I am aware, patients were never tested in this manner.

I am fully aware that thousands of people die from regular flu every year- but thousands of younger people who very often may not have any underlying medical condition- do not.?

You name one young person with no underlying condition to have died from the swine flu.

Why are you so antagonistic?

I hate to see people being taken advantage of.

You name one young person with no underlying condition to have died from the swine flu.

Here ya go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8145389.stm

The family didn't want the name released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ok Laura, go take the conspiracy stuff elsewhere please.

this is a scientific discussion forum

any more unfounded crap and low level trolling will get you banned

How are you qualified to state that patients were not tested in this manner?
    According to the Irish times- lab testing occurred up to the point that GPs were swamped with positive results in July of last year. Article here

2 pregnant women with no underlying medical conditions, and one 18 year old guy are among the HSE statistics. They didn't release names.

How is offering people a vaccination taking advantage of them?

• Advertisement

Here ya go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8145389.stm

The family didn't want the name released

No mention of age here.
    sam34 wrote: »
    ok Laura, go take the conspiracy stuff elsewhere please.

this is a scientific discussion forum

any more unfounded crap and low level trolling will get you banned

I am giving my opinions, I would prefer if you did not ridicule my views.
    How are you qualified to state that patients were not tested in this manner??

I have every right to have an opinion of my own. Your article merely backs up my point, people were diagnosed without being tested, hardly scientific, is it?
    2 pregnant women with no underlying medical conditions, and one 18 year old guy are among the HSE statistics. They didn't release names.

I'd like to know more about these cases. Why not release the names, I'm sure the family would not have objected, after all raising awareness would prevent unnecessary deaths.

Advertisement