Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your least favorite radio presenter?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BennyBlanko

...thanks!

And I'm no fan of local radio DJ's here in Ireland. You know the one's, the type that use fake laughter in the background and try to be funny all the time, but they're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Lana80

Claire Byrne on Newstalk I find very irritating.Her personality(lack of) really comes through.Almost tolerable on the telly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Can someone turn this into a Poll so we can get a better reflection when someone has to actually choose 1 DJ that they hate??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Ian Dempsey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Can someone turn this into a Poll so we can get a better reflection when someone has to actually choose 1 DJ that they hate??

If someone makes a list, I will add a poll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Better get this in before the poll starts and I have to pick one,

My least favourite dj <TAKES DEEP BREATH>...

Ian Dempsey
    Ray "HRT" D'Arcy
    Jenny Kelly
    Ray Foley
    Tony Fenton
    Phil Cawley
    Alison Curtis
    Matt Cooper
    AM Kelly
    Gerry Ryan
    Colin and Jim Jim
    Rick O'Shea
    Ruth Scott
    Jenny Houston
    Will Leahy
    Jenny Greene
    Nikki Hayes
    Tommy and Hector
    Ryan Tubridy
    Joe "HRT" Duffy

Just in case anyone thinks I am a complete misanthrope who hides under his bed all day, I like the following dj's: Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning, Cormac Battle, Marty Whelan, Pat Kenny, The Off The Ball lads (except for that stoned sounding fella, lay off the bass mate), George Hook, Brian on 4fm, and that woman on Lyric who subs for the breakfast show some times, and the sound of whose voice is a potent aphrodisiac.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ian Dempsey

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Don't understand how anyone can dislike Jenny Green.

I think she's the one thing 2fm's got going for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Matt Cooper
    Ray Foley
    Jimmy Norman
    Keith Finnegan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Teddy Chips

Joe Duffy by a long stretch, an absolute pontificating <edit>. His faux concerned routine doesn't pull the woll over this posters eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Joe Duffy by a long stretch, an absolute pontificating <edit>. His faux concerned routine doesn't pull the woll over this posters eyes.

3 days. Notice the words I left in and the words I took out, and apply any conclusions when you get back. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

How about this for the poll? These seem to be the main offenders (I'm only including national DJs here):

Gerry Ryan
    Joe Duffy
    Ray Foley
    Ray Darcy
    Tony Fenton
    Ryan Tubridy
    Phil Cawley
    Tim Kelly
    Ruth Scott
    Nikki Hayes
    Will Leahy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Has to be Tom Dunne!!
    My God that guy can waffle on about absolutely nothing all day.
    The day I find the 'hole in his coat' or that his children didn't eat their dinner the previous night, interesting, is the day I know dementia has arrived :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Couldn't find the post/thread but someone mentioned Mary Wilsons "robotic" presentation style which went something like "3 questions, 30 seconds per question and then end". Well it happened perfectly again today she didn't follow up an obvious angle during the brief discussion on bus services being curtailed. In Cork one route is being cut by 2/3rds the BE guy said the traffic levels on the route were so low its wouldn't pay for the fuel, some blowhard was then introduced who said they only kept whats left by mass mobilistion, blocking buses in Blackpool etc. Had Wilson not stuck to her script she might have asked why so few people use a service that so many protested about the curtailing off by not asking such questions she is only doing half her job.

I reckon you can tell her previous life stood outside the Four Courts still runs her line of thinking. No room for spontaneous question asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I don't hate DJs so much as entire radio stations, to the point where I really only listen to TodayFM and Newstalk. Even then, I can't stand Ray Foley (who I blame for starting this trend of having your mates on-air with you, either you're a DJ or you're not, stop bringing your mates around to prop you up!) and the mid-Atlantic afternoon slot. Oh, and anything more than the first twenty minutes of the Ray Darcy show, which is luckily all I usually get to hear.

As for Gerry Ryan...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Marty Whelan on Lyric FM - WHY is he there?! All he wants to do is talk and I want to hear the music, not is rubbish opinions on anything - ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

blastman wrote: »
    I don't hate DJs so much as entire radio stations, to the point where I really only listen to TodayFM and Newstalk. Even then, I can't stand Ray Foley (who I blame for starting this trend of having your mates on-air with you, either you're a DJ or you're not, stop bringing your mates around to prop you up!) and the mid-Atlantic afternoon slot. Oh, and anything more than the first twenty minutes of the Ray Darcy show, which is luckily all I usually get to hear.

As for Gerry Ryan...

Ray's co-presenters are not only his mates, they are his staff: JP (Co-Producer and researcher), Adelle (Producer), Ann (Researcher) and Eoghan (Movie/event goer).....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dixierip

Ray Foley is the one 'dj' who make me reach for the dial every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

dixierip wrote: »
    Ray Foley is the one 'dj' who make me reach for the dial every time.

To ring for pizza?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

I would crawl across broken glass to switch channels when any of these come on the radio...

Orla Barry. How she ever got a job in radio with that voice is beyond me.

Ray D'Arcy. Boring and self-righteous. And the sidekick Kelly's mangled vowels make my ears bleed.

Joe Duffy. I used to think the Gift Grub parody was over the top until I heard the real thing for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 BabyDuck

As for Gerry Ryan...

I think that thing with having numerous people with you on air has been going on bbc radio for ages (scott mills etc). shows like D'arcys start off great and become popular but then have a tendancy to become stale if the items and segments are freshened up from time to time. plus he can be preachy from time to time, people get pissed of if your condescending towards them! There does seem to be a lot of hate out there for 2fm and today fm djs......

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Ray Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

Nikki Hayes, god.

Can't believe she has not been mentioned yet.

BabyDuck wrote: »
    I think that thing with having numerous people with you on air has been going on bbc radio for ages (scott mills etc). shows like D'arcys start off great and become popular but then have a tendancy to become stale if the items and segments are freshened up from time to time. plus he can be preachy from time to time, people get pissed of if your condescending towards them! There does seem to be a lot of hate out there for 2fm and today fm djs......

Ironically I listen to BBC2 even more than TodayFM or Newstalk these days :)

There was a great quote on Janice Long's show a few years ago where someone emailed in and said you know you're getting older when you listen to Radio 2 rather than Radio 1, but all the DJs are the same as the ones you listened to on Radio 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Even then, I can't stand Ray Foley (who I blame for starting this trend of having your mates on-air with you, either you're a DJ or you're not, stop bringing your mates around to prop you up!)

Chris Evans was doing that years ago, Foley's attempting to copy that style. And a very poor attempt it is too

I blame Foley for starting it on Irish radio. He was the first one I noticed doing it now every clown has at least one grinning idiot sidekick fawning over him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

I know it's technically not a presenter but the 'station voice' on 98FM drives me bonkers. The cheesiest faux American accent I've ever heard on a station that always claims to be supporting the Dubs or totally Dublin or some ****e.

God it's so annoying.

In real terms of a proper presenter- I'm not a fan of Ray D'Arcy, it's his massive ego that annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

There are so many bad ones on Irish radio, but George Hook is definitely my least favourite. His voice is so annoying, but it does distract slightly from the fact that he is talking bollocks, pretty much all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

That girl on Spin FM is incredibly annoying too.
    Or that Jack & Ally talk show (do they even still have that?)

I don't turn the dial to Spin fm much to be honest.
    Tuned it out of my car stereo in favour of Lyric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

I hate Ray Foley.
    I also hate Ray D'Arcy.

Advertisement