Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free golf - Druids Glen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ryaner7777

Hi boardsranger,

Did you buy anything in the pro shop yourself ? Was there any bargains or even decent deals to be had ?

I'm very surprised to hear takings being that low, I honestly thought people would splash out a bit more seen as it's some free golf ?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Myself and 3 playing partners only bought food and drink in the pro-shop. To be honest, i didnt even look to see if there were deals to be had as I dont need anything at the moment. Druids (Heath + Glen) are both expensive for golf gear and thats why people are not spending there.

On the positive side for druids- the course was in really great condition and showcased itself well and perhaps 1 or 2 people out of the 3000 who managed to get tee times might actually consider joining and a good few might want to return and pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Played it this morning - great weather for a game aswell. The course is in great condition. Considering the recent weather we have had - the fairways and approaches are immaculate. The greens have been forked a few weeks ago(narrow diameter spikes) but they are in really good condition. They are playing very fast (summer fast) and they are very hard so dont go there thinking you can throw your shots at the pin and that they will stop easy.

It would seem that people are not spending any money in the pro shop - i was told that yesterday's takings (full timesheet) was only €102. Enjoy your rounds because druids will never have a similar offer again.

Hey Ranger, fancy posting details of your round here : http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055823754 , to get the thread goin'?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Hey Ranger, fancy posting details of your round here : http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055823754 , to get the thread goin'?

I was playing in a match so didnt bother keeping individual scores but i will copy and paste my course comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭carnsoreboxer

Yesterday, Thursday, due to frost course didn't open until 12 oc. Everyone was accommodated though some were moved to Druids Heath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

I contacted Druid's Glen today regarding people's concerns about the condition of the course and how it will hold up to the numbers playing.

The course is open from 8am to 1pm-ish - so five hours of green fees. (Although buysellswap's 3.10pm tee time seems to contradict that.)

However, within these times are slots that are reserved for members, so it's not a non-stop barrage. I imagine that frost and bad weather will also reduce the footfall. And I suspect that if the course does start taking a hammering, you'll be shifted to the Heath course, or given vouchers to come back in November.

For all of those who didn't get a tee time (myself included), it is worth bearing in mind that they will open up some member time slots - but only the day before. So if you have a last minute urge to play, you might get lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

Yesterday, Thursday, due to frost course didn't open until 12 oc. Everyone was accommodated though some were moved to Druids Heath

Must say I would be gutted if i couldn't play the Glen the day I get up there (sounds terrible doesn't it considering its free). If it happens it happens, in the past few days I've spoken so much about the course and heard so many good story's, I'm itching to play it.

"The course is open from 8am to 1pm-ish - so five hours of green fees. (Although buysellswap's 3.10pm tee time seems to contradict that.)"

Driving out of Druids Glen today, Friday, at 5.35pm there were still players on the course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭heviballs

On the positive side for druids- the course was in really great condition and showcased itself well and perhaps 1 or 2 people out of the 3000 who managed to get tee times might actually consider joining and a good few might want to return and pay for it.

i can't imagine giving free games away will entice anyone to join,it's not like people don't know the course,just because you like a course doesn't mean you're gonna shell out lots of cash

secondly,would you return and pay €90 ro or so after getting a free 1,i certainly wouldn't,and regards the previous posters regarding the pro shop,i buy a lot of golf gear,i live around the corner and have the course about 20 times,i have never bought anything in the pro shop as it's way to dear

i'm not having a go i just don't understand the logic asides from the future marketing potential,do you think they really expect to get members

wonder if there are any members here,if i was a member i'd be well cheesed off

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Par71

heviballs wrote: »
    i can't imagine giving free games away will entice anyone to join,it's not like people don't know the course,just because you like a course doesn't mean you're gonna shell out lots of cash

secondly,would you return and pay €90 ro or so after getting a free 1,i certainly wouldn't,and regards the previous posters regarding the pro shop,i buy a lot of golf gear,i live around the corner and have the course about 20 times,i have never bought anything in the pro shop as it's way to dear

i'm not having a go i just don't understand the logic asides from the future marketing potential,do you think they really expect to get members

wonder if there are any members here,if i was a member i'd be well cheesed off

I agree!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Last I heard (around Wednesday) was that they had only some single slots left, so if that is still the case, so would it be too cheeky to ask is there anyone on here in a 3-ball who wouldn't mind letting this golfer join your group? :) I can only do weekends and play off 11 (male).

Please PM me if you're one of the lucky ones. ;)
    Thanks

Anyone who hasn't been lucky enough to get a tee time I suggest phoning on a daily basis as Druids released an extra 11 slots yesterday, don't know what day they're for but know someone who got 4ball

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Lads,

Booked in a party of 4 for next week. One of the lads has pulled out. With regard to the i.d. required is it strictly photographic i.d. or could we switch another person on using his voucher and i.d. such as credit card?

Thanks

We were not asked for id and he barely looked at the vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

heading down in the morning tee off at 10.00.cant wait .giving my new cobra S2 irons their first outing:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭MasterKZG

Heading out there tmw at 11.00 so thoscon you better move along!
    Let me know how u get on with the Cobra S2 irons...i was thinking about them the other day...i have the Cobra S2 hybrid and 3-wood..magic there are!!

ill try my best:D
    hope theres feck all frost tonight to delay us.theres 12 of us heading down ,after spending the last while printing all the vouchers for the lads and the van is full of trollies and golfbags !!!
    looking forward to hitting the S2 the demo club club felt lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

Good luck lads, report back on the course is holding up, im there in something like 13 days or so... not counting or anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

dodzy wrote: »
    Yes. 100%. But you must ring in advance to provide alternate name. Hopefully, your date is a bit later in the offer period by which time i'd imagine that the calls will have receeded. ;)

I just rang Druid's to change a name on a voucher & the fella there said that it wasn't possible. And he said they were "strict" on this. 3 of my 4ball are fine but one lad had to cry off so we were hoping to change the voucher to allow another lad play instead. I know one person on here said that his group weren't asked for ID so I was just wondering if this is the usual when people turn up with their vouchers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i can locate an id for ur mate denis if you like.
    passport or drivers license?

• Advertisement

conno16 wrote: »
    i can locate an id for ur mate denis if you like.
    passport or drivers license?

Cheers Con

Both if you don't mind. Who should I make the cheque payable to?

we were there today not asked for id.the pro was fairly swamped with people checking in so he wasnt even bothered looking at the names on the voucher.

we were due out at 10 but with the frost the course didnt open till 11ish.we got out at 12.30 but i have to say it was well worth the wait.its an absolutely cracking course with sum stunning holes.i was a bit dissapointed that the 8th was closed at it looked a cracking hole ,they had a short par 3 beside the 15th that was played instead.the course is in super nick at the min.
    went in to the bar after and fish and chips and a pint of guinness €28:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

That is a shame and it is a cracking Par 3. Any regular visitors to the course during the winter will be used to that tho as it's regularly out of play during the winter. Must be very much in the shade or something.

Anyone Birdied the 13th or the 18th yet? :)

thoscon wrote: »
    i was a bit dissapointed that the 8th was closed at it looked a cracking hole ,they had a short par 3 beside the 15th that was played instead.the course is in super nick at the min.
    :eek:

Was it just closed for the day thoscon, or did it look like it will be closed for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

That is a shame and it is a cracking Par 3. Any regular visitors to the course during the winter will be used to that tho as it's regularly out of play during the winter. Must be very much in the shade or something.

Anyone Birdied the 13th or the 18th yet? :)

My nephew birdied the 18th on monday,he hit a driver and 4 iron to 10 feet and sank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭irishtoffee

denisoc16 wrote: »
    Was it just closed for the day thoscon, or did it look like it will be closed for a while?

Was closed monday also.

looks like itll b closed until the weather picks up.
    the 13th is an unreal hole.3 out of our 4 ball srcatched it ,the other had a 6.
    the 2nd shot on 18 is very daunting trying to get over the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

thoscon wrote: »
    looks like itll b closed until the weather picks up.
    the 13th is an unreal hole.3 out of our 4 ball srcatched it ,the other had a 6.
    the 2nd shot on 18 is very daunting trying to get over the water.

Off the green tees you really need to know where you're aiming and it helps having played there before obviously. You need to cut it fine to the right edge unless you can move it far left to right - a hookers nightmare! Best tee shot I ever hit on that hole was a deliberate slice with about 40 yards of swing, ended up on the fairway. Still only ever walked off with a 5 at best. Magnificent hole... and the 18th is some finishing Par 4. Even the pro's were hitting 4 irons into that green during the Irish open. Monty's course record around there is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

denisoc16 wrote: »
    I just rang Druid's to change a name on a voucher & the fella there said that it wasn't possible. And he said they were "strict" on this. 3 of my 4ball are fine but one lad had to cry off so we were hoping to change the voucher to allow another lad play instead. I know one person on here said that his group weren't asked for ID so I was just wondering if this is the usual when people turn up with their vouchers?

Hey Denis ,

My 4 Ball is only in my name , I didnt have to give the names of the other 3. I would find it hard to see them turn anyone away or try and charge them , given that it is all about generating future business and potential members :rolleyes:

Good Luck l

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 figo6969

Was one of the unlucky ones who had a late start yesterday so decided to go to the Heath course instead!
    Well i wont go into details on how i played cause it was totally diabolical...couldnt for the love of god hit a decent shot! Think i had left my thinking cap on at home.
    Such a pity!!! Onwards and upwards!:):)

Advertisement