Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Alcohol Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    MOVING ON has anyone tried non-alcoholic beers? What's the consensus?

Bit pointless really in fairness. If you're not drinking alcohol, why not have something a bit nicer?
    I've had non-alcoholic Erdinger, and it's pretty nice, not as good as regular Erdinger though. Not because it's non-alcoholic but because the regular Erdinger genuinely tastes nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

People drink beer for a reason other than it's alcoholic content?
    But it tastes awful! I don't even drink alcoholic beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah I have actually, my brother gives them to me. All the absolutely horrid taste, but no drunkeness. Worse than alcoholic drinks then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Pygmalion wrote: »
    People drink beer for a reason other than it's alcoholic content?
    But it tastes awful! I don't even drink alcoholic beer.

I actually like the taste of some beers (Bavaria/Fosters/some nice german ones etc)

Miller tastes like vomit :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

most non-alchoholic beers are too artificial tasting.I'm not a beer man,but I genuinely can't stomach non-alchoholic beers.

Although,I prefer an Ice cold pint of pear bulmers/kopperburg over anything else.Sweet tooth FTW

as an aside there is a UCD beers tomorrow for anyone in the college who hasn't checked the forum

Fad wrote: »

I don't understand Miller. Loads of people drink it, and it's one of the few beers I nearly refuse to drink. Along with Heineken. That's just plain EW.

I actually really like beer, though the hangovers tend to be a whole lot worse than any nights on rum or vodka.

Jay P wrote: »
    I don't understand Miller. Loads of people drink it, and it's one of the few beers I nearly refuse to drink. Along with Heineken. That's just plain EW.

I like Corrs Light, I tend to drink it (I'd drink Fosters all the time if I could but people dont seem to like it....) and for some reason I have this brainfart that tells me whenever I cant get a pint of corrs, get a miller.

*shudder*

I actually really like beer, though the hangovers tend to be a whole lot worse than any nights on rum or vodka.

It's the non-alcohol ingredients that can really make or break a hangover tbh, a lot of people I know can be grand the next day if they're on spirits (except for a slight headache), whereas people drinking beers/cider/wine seem to get them awful bad.

I like Corrs Light, I tend to drink it (I'd drink Fosters all the time if I could but people dont seem to like it....) and for some reason I have this brainfart that tells me when I cant get a pint of corrs, get a miller.

*shudder*

o_O Fosters is amazing. It goes down so easy. And it's criminally cheap compared to everything else. €3 a pint, hello!

Also someone said something about Bulmers - Easily the most overrated drink ever. It's disgusting, expensive and the hangovers are something to behold.

Another thing actually. Irish people seem to think that getting hammered is the only way to properly enjoy a gig. I have first hand experience of sober gigs and they were incredible. The two that stick out in my head are AC/DC, when I met up with D4RK ONION and his friends and we had an unreal time. Not a drop passed my lips that day, and it was one of the best gigs ever. Second example, Oxegen. I was on antibiotics all weekend after getting an unreal throat infection on Thursday night. It was one of the greatest weekends of my life and I remember almost everything.

To the people who "need" to be locked at gigs, I say Fúck off.

• Advertisement

It's the non-alcohol ingredients that can really make or break a hangover tbh, a lot of people I know can be grand the next day if they're on spirits (except for a slight headache), whereas people drinking beers/cider/wine seem to get them awful bad.

Secondary products of fermentation are what give the bad hangovers, which is why buying the more expensive stuff is sometimes a much better idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Didn't in secondary school, had a group of mates who didn't which made it easy, we'd just go to the same parties as everyone else, and have the same crack. Started when I started college cause I wasn't being the only sober lad (I guess one might call this passive peer pressure, but its not). It hasn't done much for me, but dented my pocket. So I'm cutting back...

On a separate and unrelated note, someone on page one talked about regimental non drinkers being silly because they were missing out on something that tasted good.

Firstly I'll say right now, I hate the taste of alcohol, its utter crap compared to the soft drink alternatives, but thats personal.

However when I told my more alcohol experienced friends this they said they had all hated it at the start too, and its something you got used to.

Did anyone here actually enjoy their first pint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Blasphemy! Miller is the only drink I regularly enjoy anymore, which is a pity because more and more pubs are doing away with the draft and just selling it by the bottle instead.

When I started drinking it was Bulmers, until I had a very rough night on it a year or two ago and haven't touched it since. Heineken is what I usually go for when there's no Miller about, but it is awfully bland. Carlsberg is alright as for something different every once in a while, but I'd never drink it religiously like Miller.

Budweiser would be good if it didn't give me the grandmother of all hangovers the next morning.

Second example, Oxegen. I was on antibiotics all weekend after getting an unreal throat infection on Thursday night. It was one of the greatest weekends of my life and I remember almost everything.

Thing is a lot of people don't go to Oxegen for the music, some of them have no idea who is playing by the time they buy their tickets, they're just paying €200 to get pissed in a field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hate that too. I'm a heavy enough drinker but I have one or two if any at gigs, and the times I was at oxegen I only drank after the gigs in the campsite.
    Secondary products of fermentation are what give the bad hangovers, which is why buying the more expensive stuff is sometimes a much better idea.

Apparently putting cheap vodka through a brita filter or similar can take some of the crap out.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Did anyone here actually enjoy their first pint?

Yes. It was a Guinness, and it's been my baby ever since.

I'm surprised more people don't drink Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Yes. It was a Guinness, and it's been my baby ever since.

I'm surprised more people don't drink Guinness.

First pint I ever finished was Guinness, and I didn't like it, but I prefer it to almost any other pint. (Almost is because I have tasted local beers all over Europe interrailing, and some of them were just perfect)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I know someone probably made this point already but...

I drink if I go out and get into clubs and whatnot. :p
    I do it because I am a pretty shy person and by drinking a bit (not getting fooking hammered :pac:) it brings some confidence out of me and I don't mind having a bit of craic and dancing.

If I don't drink, I stay shy and I worry that I might make a fool of myself when half my friends are sleeping and falling and vomiting :rolleyes:

I don't drink a load. I usually stop when I start dancing :D

Apparently putting cheap vodka through a brita filter or similar can take some of the crap out.

It wouldnt remove other alcohols (I'd imagine), but it would remove some crap, cant imagine it'd be good for the filter, and it's be more expensive then just buying a bottle of smirnoff or whatever okish vodka you can find.

Thing is a lot of people don't go to Oxegen for the music, some of them have no idea who is playing by the time they buy their tickets, they're just paying €200 to get pissed in a field.

That's pretty much everyone actually.

It was originally going to be "most", I changed it to "a lot" just in case anyone wanted to argue about it >.>

• Advertisement

Excuse you! I went for NIN AND to get slooshed in a field, which I didnt get to do really :(

Excuse you! I went for NIN AND to get slooshed in a field, which I didnt get to do really :(

I said "pretty much"! That rules out a few people...

Where did you hear the word "slooshed"? I recall using it here and I'd be very proud if it caught on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It wouldnt remove other alcohols (I'd imagine), but it would remove some crap, cant imagine it'd be good for the filter, and it's be more expensive then just buying a bottle of smirnoff or whatever okish vodka you can find.

I guess it depends on how much vodka you drink. I remember seeing a thread on another site years ago where people had actually done the math and some of them decided it'd be cheaper for them to buy a filter jug especially for vodka than to buy the expensive stuff because the filter would last for a few bottles and eventually pay for itself.

I guess it depends on how much vodka you drink. I remember seeing a thread on another site years ago where people had actually done the math and some of them decided it'd be cheaper for them to buy a filter jug especially for vodka than to buy the expensive stuff because the filter would last for a few bottles and eventually pay for itself.

I really cant imagine it being worth the time or the effort.

And I'd say the price difference is minimal at best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

An aside: Last night a friend bought me a shot of something, dropped in a glass of Smirnoff Ice - Jagerbomb style.

Not to be viewed by under 18's ;):
    It tasted exactly, Exactly, EXACTLY like Cola Frosties, those hard sweets. Unbelievably delicious.

Can anyone identify what shot it was? I need more.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

o_O Fosters is amazing. It goes down so easy. And it's criminally cheap compared to everything else. €3 a pint, hello!

Also someone said something about Bulmers - Easily the most overrated drink ever. It's disgusting, expensive and the hangovers are something to behold.

Another thing actually. Irish people seem to think that getting hammered is the only way to properly enjoy a gig. I have first hand experience of sober gigs and they were incredible. The two that stick out in my head are AC/DC, when I met up with D4RK ONION and his friends and we had an unreal time. Not a drop passed my lips that day, and it was one of the best gigs ever. Second example, Oxegen. I was on antibiotics all weekend after getting an unreal throat infection on Thursday night. It was one of the greatest weekends of my life and I remember almost everything.

I believe we actually talked about it that day and how stupid it was for people to get wrecked at gigs, 'cause they mightn't even remember it the next day. Was a phenomenal gig though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

A Neurotic wrote: »
    An aside: Last night a friend bought me a shot of something, dropped in a glass of Smirnoff Ice - Jagerbomb style.

It tasted exactly, Exactly, EXACTLY like Cola Frosties, those hard sweets. Unbelievably delicious.

I've tried a shot that was like frosties before. Think it was called Kola Kubes or something like that! Lovely stuff though.

And btw, Guinness ftw.

I believe it's called a stiffy.

I believe it's called a stiffy.

Sex discussion thread is over there: --->

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This can be done with either Stiffys or Captain Morgans, I believe. I wouldn't recommend it, because it's actually irritatingly sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

A lovely drink to try is Captain Morgan drank with club orange (not fanta), it's called a super split and tastes exactly like the icecream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

you can buy something that tastes like frosties called pirahna,its sold in nagan sized bottles at i think 15%.My local offlicence sells it for 4.95
    http://www.piranhainnovations.ie/homepage.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I really don't get the idea of having one glass of beer/wine with dinner.
    They're not exactly refreshing drinks to have with food that quantity won't get you drunk. Just calories TBH.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I really don't get the idea of having one glass of beer/wine with dinner.
    They're not exactly refreshing drinks to have with food that quantity won't get you drunk. Just calories TBH.

In moderation, red wine has been linked with improved digestion when taken with a meal. Different red and white wines also complement certain meats very nicely, from a taste point of view.
    As for a glass of beer with a meal, it's like asking why serve coka cola/sprite/fanta. Some people just enjoy the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

In moderation, red wine has been linked with improved digestion when taken with a meal. Different red and white wines also complement certain meats very nicely, from a taste point of view.
    As for a glass of beer with a meal, it's like asking why serve coka cola/sprite/fanta. Some people just enjoy the taste.

+1

Some foods are just perfectly complimented with a nice glass of red or white wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

captain morgins+coke=vanilla coke :D

captain morgins+coke=vanilla coke :D

Dunno what vanilla coke you've tasted, but Captain Morgan's and Coke does not taste like Vanilla Coke. It tastes like awesome!

Also, I've gone the entire week without going out. I'm fairly proud of that. Gonna head out next week and have some fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Dunno what vanilla coke you've tasted, but Captain Morgan's and Coke does not taste like Vanilla Coke. It tastes like awesome!

Also, I've gone the entire week without going out. I'm fairly proud of that. Gonna head out next week and have some fun :)

the spiced one does :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

MALIBUUU!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

MALIBUUU!
    And 7up.

It rocks.

Malibu and red lemonade tastes like frosties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I personally don't drink spirits. I rather stick to a few pints of Bulmers.

unknown13 wrote: »
    I personally don't drink spirits. I rather stick to a few pints of Bulmers.

This tbh, would maybe have a shot or two at times, but really if I'm out drinkign I want something that actually tastes half-decent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Malibu and red lemonade tastes like frosties.

When I read that, I thought you meant the cereal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Vodka and manky red wine last night. Bad juju.

Jaeger.. I always treat you so nicely but you do nothing but fúck me over in return..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

phlegms wrote: »
    Jaeger.. I always treat you so nicely but you do nothing but fúck me over in return..

Jaeger's rather unloving like that hence why I stick to captain morgans :)

Was it you calling me all last night?

Craguls wrote: »
    Was it you calling me all last night?

I dont think so :S

phlegms wrote: »

Dicey's on a Wednesday night = €2 Jagerbombs = great night = ????? = profit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement