Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Alcohol Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

M&S* wrote: »
    Knacker drinking is the way forward!

I started knacker drinking the night of my junior cert results and didn't stop until I was 17. I used to tell my parents I was going to the "cinema" on a Saterday night but really me and a fairly large group of boys and girls used to converge on the traintracks behind the swimming pool and drink ourselves stupid. When I started the crowd was all around my age but as time went on more and more older lads started showing up and drink wasn't the only thing on the menu.

It didn't stop until me and two others were caught by the guards on the way down. Worst.night.of.my.life.

It was the wake-up call that I needed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Oneironaut

Around the time my friends started drinking, I stayed away from it all to a certain extent. I was pretty aware that I was generally a quiet, smart-mouthed person slightly mal-adjusted to the majority of social situations. I really wasn't that happy with my personality, and as I was only a teenager, I hadn't really learned whether or not that was 'just who I am'. I think we all know the person who's pretty dull/shy, maybe a bit unhappy in themselves- who turns into the life of the party after a few beers. I didn't want to be that person to be totally honest, so I left it a while. I noticed that most of my friends were pretty great to hang out with and seemed comfortable with people, regardless of alcohol.

When I did start drinking, I took it slow and didn't get drunk or anything like that. Just had a few beers with friends. Generally found I didn't like the taste most of the a la mode beverages had going on- the Millers (piss), Heinekens (urine), Coronas (wee) etc. of this world. Also, I realised that the thickness of my friends after a few made it a lot harder to like them! I have had a few nights were alcohol has certainly loosened both myself and others up, and it's led to pretty good times. Two sides to the coin I suppose.

There's a lot of pressure out there to do the whole "ya man goin out t'fact tonite!". I usually have to pretend I enjoy that kind of thing, or say that I'll go, and then bail at the last minute. I wish I didn't to be honest. I've realised that I'm not too concerned with that whole scene- I much prefer doing something creative with a Saturday night like writing or drawing, even relaxing (sometimes creativity is desperately needed just to relax nowadays). I can think of a lot of things I'd rather do than be drinking on a night out- playing soccer, getting out a cool film, listening to a new CD. That's meant to make me dull I suppose.

I've just thought about it a good bit, and for me I'll do with my free-time what I like doing- not what's necessarily the adult thing or the cool thing to do. That might be a night out, or equally it might just be reading a book of poetry or listening to a great new CD.

Oh, and as a matter of course:

Favourite Drink Currently - Smirnoff Mule. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I never went through the knacker drinking in fields before I was 18.;) Although during the great snow I took it up for about an hour. Wasn't for me though, also this stone cold sober show is horrendous, Rte budget is truly gone to the dogs. :rolleyes: Current favourite drink is probably captain morgans with coke or some southern comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Why is it that as soon as I decide to take a week off the sauce I have been constantly getting invites to go out?

STOP TEMPTING ME

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

"FLEMMY BOY! THIS IS GOD! I HAVE SENT SOME HOME BOYS TO TEMPT YOU! DO NOT GIVE IN!

Yours in cAPS
    God

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

phlegms wrote: »
    Why is it that as soon as I decide to take a week off the sauce I have been constantly getting invites to go out?

STOP TEMPTING ME

It happens, week before my exams I ended up going out like 3 times, whereas I hadn't gone out at all for ages before that, although refrained from drinking at the C&H meetup.
    Also two of those nights were thanks to C&H, thanks for making me not study ;_;

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    "FLEMMY BOY! THIS IS GOD! I HAVE SENT SOME HOME BOYS TO TEMPT YOU! DO NOT GIVE IN!

Yours in cAPS
    God

K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

...malibu anyone?

...malibu anyone?

After the Mystery Tour I no longer trust Malibu. We used to be such good friends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Extrasupervery introduced me to malibu and red lemonade. It tastes like Frosties, and/or Pina Colada (this mainly just being the coconut-ty bit, tbf...) depending on how drunk you are. It's so good.

It does get me drunk ridiculously fast though... Far, far too easy to drink.

But so good.

• Advertisement

Do you peeps pay for brand name Malibu?
    I just get the cheap version in Dunnes/Tesco called "Cocomo" or something to that effect. S'only about €10 a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

phlegms wrote: »
    Do you peeps pay for brand name Malibu?
    I just get the cheap version in Dunnes/Tesco called "Cocomo" or something to that effect. S'only about €10 a bottle.

I think they get it free in return for advertising it.
    Only way to explain how often they've mentioned it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Malibu and 7up is also amazing.
    Haven't had it with red lemonade... must try it sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Finally figuring out how not to cross the line from nicely drunk to enormous mess. Really, its about time!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

As an aside to what drinks you all find to be nice, what do ye think about the drink culture in Ireland?

Its a thought that has crossed my mind a lot lately, that drink is needed in every situation. Night in front of the tv...with some beer. Trip to cinema...will be followed(or proceeded), by a trip to the pub. If you are to go anywhere, there is a high prospect chance of alcohol being involved at some stage or the other. If people want to do something that doesn't involve alcohol, the options are very limited. Are there any ideas as to different things to do that don't include drinking?* Cinema does get boring eventually(and expensive), but it'd be nice to have a choice of things to do. Just don't think there is enough to do here where alcohol doesn't come into play.

Maybe this could be a thread on its own, shall leave that to mods to decide.

*yes I am just looking for ideas on this really:pac:

Oh, and BTW, Captain Morgans and CLub Orange, none of this Fanta crap. Also, strongbow/stonehouse for pre-drinks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Mushy wrote: »
    As an aside to what drinks you all find to be nice, what do ye think about the drink culture in Ireland?

Its a thought that has crossed my mind a lot lately, that drink is needed in every situation. Night in front of the tv...with some beer. Trip to cinema...will be followed(or proceeded), by a trip to the pub. If you are to go anywhere, there is a high prospect chance of alcohol being involved at some stage or the other. If people want to do something that doesn't involve alcohol, the options are very limited. Are there any ideas as to different things to do that don't include drinking?* Cinema does get boring eventually(and expensive), but it'd be nice to have a choice of things to do. Just don't think there is enough to do here where alcohol doesn't come into play.

Maybe this could be a thread on its own, shall leave that to mods to decide.

*yes I am just looking for ideas on this really:pac:

Oh, and BTW, Captain Morgans and CLub Orange, none of this Fanta crap. Also, strongbow/stonehouse for pre-drinks:D

Well when I started this thread I had hoped that this kind of discussion would happen, I wasn't really liking the direction it was taking.

But yeah, i do agree with you. Drink takes precedence everywhere, especially in college. I rarely do something that drink doesn't feature, which bugs me really. Though the nights I go to the cinema, I rarely go out afterwards. It's a night out in itself really.

There's actually a thread in AH about what to do that doesn't involve drink, and someone mentioned that in other countries that cafés in some other countries are open at night as well as during the day. I'd love if this was the way in Ireland. Just chilling out drinking a coffee with my friends would be nice. Obviously I could do that at home, but it's not really the same thing now is it?
    I think the fact that there is so little to do means people really look forward to being able to go out so , when they start going out, they go out a lot.

There are exceptions, but I'm just generalizing. The people who don't drink are in the serious minority.

Jay P wrote: »
    Well when I started this thread I had hoped that this kind of discussion would happen, I wasn't really liking the direction it was taking.

But yeah, i do agree with you. Drink takes precedence everywhere, especially in college. I rarely do something that drink doesn't feature, which bugs me really. Though the nights I go to the cinema, I rarely go out afterwards. It's a night out in itself really.

There's actually a thread in AH about what to do that doesn't involve drink, and someone mentioned that in other countries that cafés in some other countries are open at night as well as during the day. I'd love if this was the way in Ireland. Just chilling out drinking a coffee with my friends would be nice. Obviously I could do that at home, but it's not really the same thing now is it?
    I think the fact that there is so little to do means people really look forward to being able to go out so , when they start going out, they go out a lot.

There are exceptions, but I'm just generalizing. The people who don't drink are in the serious minority.

Exactly what I'd be thinking. It gets very repetitive very quickly. Look at college events...everything revolves around drink. Unfortunately nothing appears to be done about anything like this.

And agreed on the last sentence in particular too!

Mushy wrote: »
    Exactly what I'd be thinking. It gets very repetitive very quickly. Look at college events...everything revolves around drink. Unfortunately nothing appears to be done about anything like this.

I'm pretty sure our SU is sponsered by a one of the Night Clubs in Cork. They certainly have a very close relationship. Obviously they need money, but I think it'd be a bit more responsible (?) if it wasn't the biggest night club in Cork City that supported them.

Jay P, to follow on from the yaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh thread, this jam donut shot is:

rim of shot glass doused with sugar(use lemon to make it stick)
    Chambord and Baileys made up a lá baby guinness

then, the most important part....drink it:D

Only catch is, Chambord is tough enough to find, and quite expensive. Only as its a worthy ocassion will I buy it. This is the time.

Sounds...interesting... Not a fan of Baileys at all though!

• Advertisement

Only a tiny amount in it, would barely notice its there at all. If ya like jam donuts, ya'll love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

*obligatory bump for relevance sake*

People talk about "responsible drinking". Here's what I think "responsible drinking" means.

It means that if you drink, use it to enhance your enjoyment of a night with your friends, don't make drinking the center of your night.

A lot of people don't even like what they drink when they do so. They just do it for the sake of it, and I've done it myself many times, but now that I do, it seems childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

drink has not been kind to me lately. Two naggens of jagermeister downed and 13 bottles of stella never knew it was possible to produce so much sick. if it were not for good friends i mightn't be here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

I've scrapped the ole drinking from mid March until August 4th on my holiday in Tenerife. It's been going well! My wallet is looking a lot more bulky these days! It was mainly due to training commitments though, having a night out would set you back two days and it's just time I couldn't afford to be missing with training. Not drinking hasn't made any difference to my nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Having worked in a pub I find myslef increasingly annoyed about bering sober but surrounded by drunk idiots and not being able to do anything aobut it.

I now find myself drinking less and less on nights out, no particular reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Having worked in a pub I find myslef increasingly annoyed about bering sober but surrounded by drunk idiots and not being able to do anything aobut it.

I now find myself drinking less and less on nights out, no particular reason though.

Some people are grand with a few drinks on them. Even if they are drunk they're not rowdy or a drunken idiot but then you have the people who 'act' like a drunken mess. (I say act because I know of a few people who do just that. Act being drunk).

If the way you behave when you drink/are drunk is something you wouldn't want your family to see then you really need to consider the amount you drink or in deed the way you act.

If the way you behave when you drink/are drunk is something you wouldn't want your family to see then you really need to consider the amount you drink or in deed the way you act.

Exactly.

Really annoying drunk people reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally annoy me. There are certain people I know and really like that I refuse to go out with. One thing that annoys me about ME as a drinker is if there's something on my mind or something that upsets me it can all come out when I'm drinking. Last month one of the lads had to bring me home because I got really upset about something which made me upset about something else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    One thing that annoys me about ME as a drinker is if there's something on my mind or something that upsets me it can all come out when I'm drinking. Last month one of the lads had to bring me home because I got really upset about something which made me upset about something else!!

Tell me about it. Like we all love a drink but it almost always seems to multiply our emotions. Happy going out, happy drunk. Something on your mind going out, all hell lets loose drunk.

• Advertisement

Tell me about it. Like we all love a drink but it almost always seems to multiply our emotions. Happy going out, happy drunk. Something on your mind going out, all hell lets loose drunk.

The 'deep' in DMC should be replaced with drunk for me!!

Advertisement