Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Alcohol Thread

Options
  • 19-01-2010 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

So there's a big argument in the feedback forum about alcohol, so that's what made me get up and start this thread, though it's actually been in my head for quite a while to do this.

I was just wondering what peoples' attitudes here are to drink? Even if you're underage and have never even had a drop of wine with your extra-special birthday dinner.

In the last few days I've been reconsidering my own attitude to drink, mainly after Saturday night, from which I remember scarily little. I don't like the fact that lately I've had to drink to have a good time, and it's the same deal with many Irish people, and that is not an unjust generalization.
    That said, I do enjoy drinking as I more often than not have lots of fun. Just lately, it's scared me a bit.

So everybody, thoughts?

Oh, and I don't want to put up a poll because this isn't an interrogation, it's just a pleasent discussion.

So crack open a few cans and relax!
    <_<

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I do not and have never tried alcohol.

Let me give you a few examples of why. I once played a quick game of Guitar Hero 2 at a friends house. I have since spent the best part of a few thousand hours playing the genre.

I once bought a game called street fighter 4 to have a bit of fun. I have now racked up 250 hours of in game play and rank 7th in Ireland.

I once joined a site called boards.ie to +1 a forum for An Fhile. I'm now a mod of said site and spend several hours a day on it.

I have what some might call an addictive personality. I get addicted to things uncontrollably very easily, but I'm very good at never doing things. Hence my incredible ability to hold a grudge. That's why I don't drink. I've no problems with other people drinking as long as it doesn't affect my night, but for my own safety I don't do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I don't drink at all and im 19 but thank god im am one of the very few that can go out have a laugh without it, I dont mind drink ( it just isnt for me, not at the moment anyway haha) or people that drink for that matter ( unless they start getting violent because of the drink, then i hate them haha)....also cant understand people that get so drunk there just thrown down on the ground not able to move but i get a laugh off them so its all good haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I love the Sauce I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I drink, but I dont drink often, and I dont find myself enjoying it as much anymore.

I dont drink to get locked very often. Some times its fun, but generally it doesnt go well.

Very consistent history of alcoholism on my dad's side of the family, just something I'm wary of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

My attitude to drink has also changed alot in recent times.
    I've spent ten years wasting alot of my hard earned cash on booze.
    Fair enough there were many happy times out of it, but a hell of alot more just plain crappy boring nights!
    More concerned with passing college and getting a mighty job that pays me LOADS of money. :D:D:D

Though saying all that, every few weeks I will have a mini session with college mates if the notion takes me.

• Advertisement

I have never understood the "don't drink wont drink" attitude. Not a personal attack on any member here who follow that creed in their approach to alcohol, but from my point of view it seems far too rigid. It seems to pigeonhole alcohol as a pure drug rather than something that one can genuinely enjoy the flavour of. I often go out and drink an amount that may be considered excessive, but I can also genuinely enjoy a glass of wine/beer with my dinner because I like the taste and have no more than a glass. If you haven't the maturity to see alcohol as something other than a "drug" to get drunk with then you are probably right not to drink in the first place..

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

phlegms wrote: »
    I have never understood the "don't drink wont drink" attitude. Not a personal attack on any member here who follow that creed in their approach to alcohol, but from my point of view it seems far too rigid. It seems to pigeonhole alcohol as a pure drug rather than something that one can genuinely enjoy the flavour of. I often go out and drink an amount that may be considered excessive, but I can also genuinely enjoy a glass of wine/beer with my dinner because I like the taste and have no more than a glass. If you haven't the maturity to see alcohol as something other than a "drug" to get drunk with then you are probably right not to drink in the first place..

But then some of us (and not naming any names here :rolleyes:) understand that they don't have the ability to do something in moderation, and therefore have the maturity to not touch the stuff ;)

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    But then some of us (and not naming any names here :rolleyes:) understand that they don't have the ability to do something in moderation, and therefore have the maturity to not touch the stuff ;)

Wasn't pointing fingers there Dark. I have had multiple alcoholics on both sides of my family and I in no way show any signs of addiction or dependence. But anyway, I would rather not get into the whole "alcoholism as a disease" debate..

it tastes absolutely horrible thats why everyone has to '' get used to it'' ive never heard of anyone that drank for the first time and liked it straight away, and whats the point of getting used to something thats going to soak up a lot of your money and is not good for you (when not drank in moderation which most people dont)?

it tastes absolutely horrible thats why everyone has to '' get used to it'' ive never heard of anyone that drank for the first time and liked it straight away, and whats the point of getting used to something thats going to soak up a lot of your money and is not good for you (when not drank in moderation which most people dont)?

Depends what you're drinking.

Things taste differently when you get older, less about getting used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

But some people don't drink not because it's a drug, but because they don't like the taste....

I never did the whole getting used to it thing :confused: I just only drink what I like the taste of... If I didn't/don't like it when I taste it first, I just won't drink it..

You seem to be dismissing the thousands and thousands of people around the world who drink wine because they enjoy the taste and the culture that surrounds it..

As for the " ive never heard of anyone that drank for the first time and liked it straight away" statement, this is generally because your first introduction to alcohol as a teenager or when you turn 18 is generally the cheapest muck available at the time and flavour/taste is rarely taken into account.
    whats the point of getting used to something thats going to soak up a lot of your money and is not good for you

I think the flaws with this point are fairly obvious..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I drink, but I found over the summer when I was drinking a lot that I stopped enjoying it as much, as if I'm building up a tolerance but I still seem to get all the bad stuff (the tiredness, the slightly drunk thinking and movement, the hangovers the next day).
    I stopped drinking for a while and then it became fun again.

No idea why or how (could have been completely unrelated to how much I was drinking for all I know), but I realised that going out and not-drinking can be just as much fun, if not moreso (as long as the people you're with aren't just going to get slooshed and act like idiots, in which case it can suck even when drunk).
    Basically alcohol is not the magical fun-drug I once thought it was and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it can save money >.>.

Also, I had a really good point when I started writing this by the way, I swear, but I forgot what it was and don't want to have wasted my time so submitting anyway.

You seem to be dismissing the thousands and thousands of people around the world who drink wine because they enjoy the taste and the culture that surrounds it..

As for the " ive never heard of anyone that drank for the first time and liked it straight away" statement, this is generally because your first introduction to alcohol as a teenager or when you turn 18 is generally the cheapest muck available at the time and flavour/taste is rarely taken into account.

I think the flaws with this point are fairly obvious..

no actually the majority of people in my year had their first drink when they were out in pubs and nightclubs and drank all the normal stuff Budweiser etc not the likes of linden village and everyone ive spoken to say that they HAD to get used to the taste of drink and it wasnt the cheapest muck they were drinking.

and i dont think the flaws with my last post are obvious please explain them to me?:D

But some people don't drink not because it's a drug, but because they don't like the taste....

I never did the whole getting used to it thing :confused: I just only drink what I like the taste of... If I didn't/don't like it when I taste it first, I just won't drink it..

well i can only speak for the people i know and they all had to get used to it thats why i never understood it?:D

no actually the majority of people in my year had their first drink when they were out in pubs and nightclubs and drank all the normal stuff Budweiser etc not the likes of linden village and everyone ive spoken to say that they HAD to get used to the taste of drink and it wasnt the cheapest muck they were drinking.

Budweiser would definitely fall into the cheap much category tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

same as that,I've never seen the point of drinking something if you don't like it.That's a lot more like addiction than anything else.

I'm pro-choice so I think everyone should at LEAST try alchohol.

I'm not a huge fan of it,my brother had some serious issues with alchohol when I was growing up,so drinking has always been that bit different of an experience for me.

Also,this has thread has been done before,twice: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055529520
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055483207

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Sorry for commenting just on this .
    Just because it has been done a few times before doesn't mean it's wrong to start afresh .
    New posters can be added to the discussion as different threads take different directions and this could discourage them from posting there opinion at that time . Poster's opinions could have changed as this is a forum for young people and most of us are still finding ourselves and also there is a stigma to bumping old threads.
    Think that's the same with a few threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Wasn't pointing fingers there Dark. I have had multiple alcoholics on both sides of my family and I in no way show any signs of addiction or dependence.

That's what scared me so much. Family members that I was very close to have died both directly and indirectrly because of alcohol dependance. I'm terrified of that happening to me.
    And what D4RK said about his addictive personality, I don't think I'm quite like that, but I'm definitely pretty good at taking things too far, drinking included. I'm sure fear of alcoholism puts a lot of people off.

I just wanted to add in one more thing here. I took the decision not to go to the party I wanted to go to in Galway. Financially, it's a bad idea but mostly I know I'm only going to drink too much, so I'd rather continue to re-assess my attitudes to alcohol before I decide to start going mad again. All along this was my biggest reason against going. Tbh, I'm fairly proud of myself for taking the right step.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I don't drink because I have an addictive personality and because I'm cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I drink, probably once a week (the amount is limited by how little money I have at the moment though) when I go out with my friends or whatever.
    I don't drink to get drunk, and because I personally am a very slow drinker, I don't get absolutely trashed all the time. I'd have 3 or 4 pints of cider a night, of course it differs depending on my mood. If I'm in the mood for getting drunk, sometimes I will drink more, and mix different things.

I can count on one hand the number of times where I have been beyond drunk. Both times, were stupid, involving me being drunk before I got to where I was going and a lot of tequila. I remember nothing of these nights, which were over a year ago. Tbh this really scares me, luckily I have good friends who minded me, one caught me trying to wander out of the club by myself, and god knows what could have happened if I had of left. I suffered badly after these times, was embarrassed by what I did, etc. and decided never to get that drunk again. I have learnt my lesson, and now know that I personally cannot handle ever having tequila again.

I have a lot of respect for people who don't drink, I think today it takes a hell of a lot more guts to actually stand up for what you believe in and have the courage to say no. My best friend doesn't drink, and some of the most fun nights I've ever had have been with her, totally sober. So yeah I drink, but I see both sides, I can have fun with or without alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I drink a lot.

I love a bit of the ol' drinking I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I like drinking, I like being drunk. After years of practice I've learned to recognise the one that's one too many BEFORE I drink it, learned that vodka and druid's cider literally make me insane, and learned to seperate drunk thinking from actual reality (ie, no that person is not my besht frenn, I still can't dance, that girl isn't lookin at me funny and it doesn't make more sense to walk to 24 hour centra for fags than to go to sleep).

There have been points in my life where if a night arrived and I didn't have anyone to drink with I'd be a bit bewildered and panicky about what to do for the night, but that's a fairly clear sign to take a break and I can't even remember the last time I was at that point.

This is not in any way directed at any posters here because I don't know any of them in real life, but in my experience of people who don't and won't drink a drop, there can be an element of-for want of a better word-fear. As in they don't like the idea of losing control and tend to be a bit emotionally reserved. As for "pigeonholing alcohol as a pure drug"...well I could say more about my opinions on that point but I better not corrupt the youth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I like drinking, I like being drunk. After years of practice I've learned to recognise the one that's one too many BEFORE I drink it, learned that vodka and druid's cider literally make me insane, and learned to seperate drunk thinking from actual reality (ie, no that person is not my besht frenn, I still can't dance, that girl isn't lookin at me funny and it doesn't make more sense to walk to 24 hour centra for fags than to go to sleep).

I still haven't figured out the one that's one too many.

Though I have realised that spirits just make me forget everything. Vodka is especially bad for doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I was very anti-alcohol when I was a teenager. I had "we won't be angry, just disappointed" parents. That basically turned me off doing anything irresponsible.

Since coming to college, I've learned to appreciate it a bit more. The biggest problem is trying to figure out the one that's one too many; that takes you from being tipsy and happy to completely fcuking hammered. The latter is not a fun place to end up.

I've only ever been hopelessly drunk once in my life (lots of vodka and red bull, followed by a drinking game with a bottle of wine, followed by God knows what else... :o). I blacked out and woke up in my bed the next morning, not having a clue how I got there. I never want that to happen again because anything could have happened during the night that I'd be completely unaware of.

So I think drinking can be a great way to have fun and blow off steam, and drinking just the right amount can turn a good night out into an amazing night out. I'm a fan of drink; just as long as it's in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

As strange and stupid as it sounds, I feel I need to be going out more often to stop myself getting drunk more often.

Here me out on this one, I love going out, going to the nightclub and all that. But I could never do it all the time. Only once every 2nd weekend or so would I feel the need to go out and aim to have a really good night. People that spend 3/4 nights a week in college going out and getting pissed, that I'll never be able to do.

My problem is the longer I wait to have a really good night, the more I drink, the more I make a fool of myself and the greater hangover I have the next morning. But if I go out more often and instead just have a sociable one or two once a week or so, then those messy nights happen far, far less. I was always more of a pub-scene kinda guy anyway.

I think the majority of people our age that drink always have one of those nights where they test to see what their limit is and end up going overboard, like what Insect just described. I had one of those nights as well and have never been that bad since, thankfully regardless of how much I have I always feel I'm sober enough to tell myself enough is enough, the problem is not everyone can do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Since coming to college, I've learned to appreciate it a bit more. The biggest problem is trying to figure out the one that's one too many; that takes you from being tipsy and happy to completely fcuking hammered. The latter is not a fun place to end up.

I've only ever been hopelessly drunk once in my life (lots of vodka and red bull, followed by a drinking game with a bottle of wine, followed by God knows what else... :o). I blacked out and woke up in my bed the next morning, not having a clue how I got there. I never want that to happen again because anything could have happened during the night that I'd be completely unaware of.

Last time I was hopelessly drunk I realised in the pub that the alcohol train was about to hit .I'd had a fair amount of whiskey at home and then a pint and intended to play it cool for a bit but some guy bought me shots and I didn't want to let free drink go to waste. Managed to make the decision to leave and my housemate dropped me back. At that point I was rolling around on the floor (I kept falling off the couch so I decided to cut out the middle man and just stay on the ground), loudly declaring the fact that I was "happy as a bitch!" :confused: and maintaining that it didn't matter that my dress was around my waist because my (straight, female) housemates only loved looking at my ass. I can remember up to getting home but blackouts are very scary. Mildly entertaining on that occasion but if I hadn't known I'd reached the point where I had to go home it could have been unpleasant to say the least

I can remember up to getting home but blackouts are very scary.

They are terrifying. I've had four or five and I have no idea what happened (Twice I wandered off so I have no idea what I did :confused:).

This is not a ZOMG I was so wasted story......this is just pointing out that blacking out is not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I enjoy the odd pint of Guinness, I do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Daysha wrote: »
    I think the majority of people our age that drink always have one of those nights where they test to see what their limit is and end up going overboard, like what Insect just described.

That was actually KnifeWRENCH ;)

I'll be making my contribution to this thread in a few hours, busy at the moment.

Advertisement