Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boards.ie Terms of Use and Privacy Policy - your feedback welcome

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hey photo people

In the Photography Forum a seperate thread was set up to discuss the issue of photo copyright - you can find that here - with suggested amendments.

Feel free to add your input there.

Thanks

Darragh

Covey wrote: »
    I'm a photographer and as far as I'm aware I didn't sign up to posting photos without the abilty to delete them at any time prior to 23/12/2009. I haven't posted photos since and won't under those TOU's.

I'd like some clarity on the position prior to 23/12/2009 please?

Hi Covey

As far as I know, proior to the 23/12, after a certain time (2 days?) you never had the ability to delete photos you'd posted, or indeed posts - these TOU have made no change to that at all.

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Darragh wrote: »

We previously did not have (as far as I know) TOU - certainly not in its current form. What we had was the following on registration (I'm not sure how long this text has been in place):

Well as you said above there weren't TOU's in place prior to 23/12/2009 and where there were guidlines, there was no mention of not being able to delete photos.

I'm not very happy about that tbh and would never have posted photos if that was pointed out to me, which I haven't done since it was pointed out on the 23/12.

However, I know your looking into this, so I'll await the outcome of that.

Well as you said above there weren't TOU's in place prior to 23/12/2009 and where there were guidlines, there was no mention of not being able to delete photos.

I'm not very happy about that tbh and would never have posted photos if that was pointed out to me, which I haven't done since it was pointed out on the 23/12.

However, I know your looking into this, so I'll await the outcome of that.

Well, I think we've always operated on a policy of "If you need it deleted and ask us, we'll do it for you" but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I'll be coming back to everyone about the TOU tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

For my money, there should be a policy of requested deletions being honoured by the site admins/mods for whatever valid reason.

By this I mean it should be a serious matter, for example, causing an invasion of privacy, or be abreach of someone else's copyright, etc.
    It should not be frivolous - "it makes me look fat" - mind you, that's assuming you're not suffering from clinical depression about your size perhaps, and so it gets complicated.
    The fact is that without adequate means of enforcement, any pictures can be downloaded by others and claimed as their own.

Deleting entire sets of posts by a particulr author may be desirable in csome cases but it ruins a thread.
    Perhaps this shouldn't affect posts by other people which include quotations - again, this gets tricky.
    I'm reminded of Demon Internets woes a few years back over IIRC an alleged defamation issue.
    In an extreme case this may involve removing all references to the person making any claim.

In relation to copyright the matter becomes more thorny and I'll leave it to the experts.
    To me, one view of the Upper Lake in Glendalough looks much like another taken by a similar camera from a similar position.
    At the end of the day, the administrators have the final call and this should centre on running the site in an acceptable manner according to the acceptable norms of public behaviour - not an easy job, and good luck to them.

I'd suggest a legal eagle should be called in to advise but that costs money.
    Still, its a prima fascia defence if there are ever allegations made about not properly administrating this site.

ONQ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

onq wrote: »
    For my money, there should be a policy of requested deletions being honoured by the site admins/mods for whatever valid reason.

By this I mean it should be a serious matter, for example, causing an invasion of privacy, or be abreach of someone else's copyright, etc.
    It should not be frivolous - "it makes me look fat" - mind you, that's assuming you're not suffering from clinical depression about your size perhaps, and so it gets complicated.
    The fact is that without adequate means of enforcement, any pictures can be downloaded by others and claimed as their own.

Deleting entire sets of posts by a particulr author may be desirable in csome cases but it ruins a thread.
    Perhaps this shouldn't affect posts by other people which include quotations - again, this gets tricky.
    I'm reminded of Demon Internets woes a few years back over IIRC an alleged defamation issue.
    In an extreme case this may involve removing all references to the person making any claim.

In relation to copyright the matter becomes more thorny and I'll leave it to the experts.
    To me, one view of the Upper Lake in Glendalough looks much like another taken by a similar camera from a similar position.
    At the end of the day, the administrators have the final call and this should centre on running the site in an acceptable manner according to the acceptable norms of public behaviour - not an easy job, and good luck to them.

I'd suggest a legal eagle should be called in to advise but that costs money.
    Still, its a prima fascia defence if there are ever allegations made about not properly administrating this site.

ONQ.

I don't agree with that at all. A photographer requesting to delete an image for any reason or none should have it deleted.

I don't agree with that at all. A photographer requesting to delete an image for any reason or none should have it deleted.

Hi Covey,

Perhaps I'm missing sonething here, but I thought this was a discussion forum.
    Photos and comments are published here and are visible around the entier world - except via censored servers or whetever.
    Are you suggesting it is appropriate that we should engage in discussion about a particular photo, enthuse over it, criticise it, whatever, and then the person who posted it should be allowed to remove it for no reason whatsoever?

That kind of activity is tantamount to TROLLing in my book and has no place on a BBS.
    I draw a distinction between willfully and unnecessarily disrupting a discussion or "holing" an archive and having a valid reason for deletion.

People will copy photos they like or wish to discuss anyway.
    Perhaps you think there is a means whereby they could be forced to return them.
    Who could enforce such a policy - who would be bothered, when the photo is being used for private use.
    For example, what loss could the photographer point to? Income? Status? Peace of mind?

I ask because there seems to be some undercurrent to the general comments about posting and deleting photos that I'm finding hard to grasp.

Speak frankly and enlighten me please.

ONQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Is it a new thing to keep details of the previous site and search terms used? I'm gonna have to be REAL careful with that one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MacAnna19

how do I post a new thread? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

onq wrote: »
    Hi Covey,

Perhaps I'm missing sonething here, but I thought this was a discussion forum.
    Photos and comments are published here and are visible around the entier world - except via censored servers or whetever.
    Are you suggesting it is appropriate that we should engage in discussion about a particular photo, enthuse over it, criticise it, whatever, and then the person who posted it should be allowed to remove it for no reason whatsoever?

That kind of activity is tantamount to TROLLing in my book and has no place on a BBS.
    I draw a distinction between willfully and unnecessarily disrupting a discussion or "holing" an archive and having a valid reason for deletion.

People will copy photos they like or wish to discuss anyway.
    Perhaps you think there is a means whereby they could be forced to return them.
    Who could enforce such a policy - who would be bothered, when the photo is being used for private use.
    For example, what loss could the photographer point to? Income? Status? Peace of mind?

I ask because there seems to be some undercurrent to the general comments about posting and deleting photos that I'm finding hard to grasp.

Speak frankly and enlighten me please.

ONQ.

This may come across harsh but you wanted frankness.

Some of us are not talking about holiday snaps some of us are professional photographer, these T&C's put or careers in very dodgy legal frames, I request to have all my photos removed its my legal right to have them removed.

I can point to loss of income, loss of licensing rights on that image, people have no legal right to copy any photo I post that has my copyright on it, if they did so I can and have broght them to court over it, this is my livelyhood and that of a good number of other on these boards and we have a difficult enough time with copyright issues everyday, most of us don't have a copyright laywer on speed-dial for the sake of our health.

The way that these T&C's are worded makes it so anyone who makes an income from photography no longer has absolute control over their work posted here, and we come here for criticism of our work, insights of other photographers and for the community spirit. But at the end of the day jepordising my copyright is not worth it for those things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

t-ha wrote: »
    Is it a new thing to keep details of the previous site and search terms used? I'm gonna have to be REAL careful with that one! :D

We only receive that information from you if you click on a link on the previous site.

So, if you go to Google type in "boards feedback" and boards.ie turns up in a search result and you click on that link, we'll see something like [NOPARSE]http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=boards+feedback&btnG=Search[/NOPARSE] as the "referring URL". This tells us that you came from google.ie and the terms you used were "boards feedback".

Now, if you went to [NOPARSE]www.foo.com[/NOPARSE] and saw that they had a link to [NOPARSE]www.boards.ie[/NOPARSE] on their site and you clicked on it, we'd see something like: [NOPARSE]http://www.foo.com/[/NOPARSE] as the referring URL.

If you were browsing [NOPARSE]www.asiteyourmammywouldntlikeyouon.com[/NOPARSE] and then just typed in [NOPARSE]www.boards.ie[/NOPARSE] in the location bar of the browser, we get no referring URL and can't tell what site you were on previously.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referrer has more information about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Conor wrote: »
    If you were browsing [NOPARSE]www.asiteyourmammywouldntlikeyouon.com[/NOPARSE] and then just typed in [NOPARSE]www.boards.ie[/NOPARSE] in the location bar of the browser, we get no referring URL and can't tell what site you were on previously.

I get a "404 Error" for www.asiteyourmammywouldntlikeyouon.com. Can you tell me how to browse it? Please help, I'm new to this site.

This may come across harsh but you wanted frankness.

Some of us are not talking about holiday snaps some of us are professional photographer, these T&C's put or careers in very dodgy legal frames, I request to have all my photos removed its my legal right to have them removed.

I can point to loss of income, loss of licensing rights on that image, people have no legal right to copy any photo I post that has my copyright on it, if they did so I can and have broght them to court over it, this is my livelyhood and that of a good number of other on these boards and we have a difficult enough time with copyright issues everyday, most of us don't have a copyright laywer on speed-dial for the sake of our health.

The way that these T&C's are worded makes it so anyone who makes an income from photography no longer has absolute control over their work posted here, and we come here for criticism of our work, insights of other photographers and for the community spirit. But at the end of the day jepordising my copyright is not worth it for those things.

I didn't thank that was harsh at all.

Thanks for airing your opinion, but regretfully that'a all it comes down to unless you can enforce the copyright.
    This is a public forum, not a private BBS for photpgraphers only, where you might be more respectful of it. :(

People post to these forums to garner interest in their work amongst other things.
    People read these forums because they have an interest in your work.
    I cannot see them appreciating it if you remove all your work.

I've seen artists on other websites throw wobblers every few months and remove their work and then return.
    I used to think it was a roundabout means of crating interest in their work, but reading your post now I'm not so sure.
    But I point out again, that this is a public forum and you can cry "copyright" all you want but people who want to will still download you photos.

I should state at this point that I haven't read the photography forum and AFAICR haven't downloaded any of your photos. :)

FWIW

ONQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Just read the new terms of use & dont like this as it is a bit vague,

"You may be held liable for losses incurred by us or any other party as a result of someone else using or accessing your password or account."

Am I to take it to mean if someone gains access to my password through my own fault?

If so then that should be clarified & is perfectly understandable.

What is the situation if someone gains access to my password & subsequently then my account through a security breach of Boards.ie's database?
    Am i still liable for whatever may ensue even though it is Boards.ie's fault for not having adequate security?

I am hoping it is the former & not the latter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If you link to a website that hosts your photo that you do have control over as opposed to attaching a photo to a thread here (and therefore having boards.ie store and host the image) - does this remove any of the ambiguity over the copyright?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Conor wrote: »
    We only receive that information from you if you click on a link on the previous site.

So, if you go to Google type in "boards feedback" and boards.ie turns up in a search result and you click on that link, we'll see something like [NOPARSE]http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=boards+feedback&btnG=Search[/NOPARSE] as the "referring URL". This tells us that you came from google.ie and the terms you used were "boards feedback".

Now, if you went to [NOPARSE]www.foo.com[/NOPARSE] and saw that they had a link to [NOPARSE]www.boards.ie[/NOPARSE] on their site and you clicked on it, we'd see something like: [NOPARSE]http://www.foo.com/[/NOPARSE] as the referring URL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referrer has more information about this.
    Excellent! On with the naughtiness!

"You may be held liable for losses incurred by us or any other party as a result of someone else using or accessing your password or account."

Am I to take it to mean if someone gains access to my password through my own fault?

If so then that should be clarified & is perfectly understandable.

What is the situation if someone gains access to my password & subsequently then my account through a security breach of Boards.ie's database?
    Am i still liable for whatever may ensue even though it is Boards.ie's fault for not having adequate security?

I am hoping it is the former & not the latter.

Definitely the former. Don't worry - it's written to be extreme, but obviously we couldn't hold you responsible if it was our fault and not yours :)

Is there a better way we could phrase it to make it more understandable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

I don't want to bring more heat than light to the table, and I also don't want to talk through my hat-so I have looked at this closely over the last few days when I've had a few minutes here and there.

And an awful lot of the anxiety from users (coupled with reasonable responses from yourself Darragh-I have to say) seems to consistently run along the following lines:

ToU Policy: "You can't do this! If you do, we'll slap you on the nose with a rolled up newspaper, take your post, and run away with it. We (Boards.ie Ltd.) reserve the right to take your post and make off with it in any event. We also reserve the right to beat you with paper truncheons in perpetuity."

User: "But I don't want you taking my post into your garden and playing with it."

Boards: "We won't do that. We just want permission to put it on that wall there so our friends can see. We might take it in to show the Aunty if she visits."

User: "Sound. But it's still mine, yeah?"

Boards: "Sure it is. My dad's a lawyer, and he made me put that in."

User: "And I can get it back whenever?"

Boards: "Well, you couldn't up to now, anyway it might ruin the look of the wall if we keep taking stuff down."

User: "I kinda get ya. Thing is, you never asked to take it away to show others before either."

Boards: "No, but we're doing that now. It is *our* wall, like. But it's still your post."

User: "So let's update the agreement then."

Boards: "Cool, but I'll have to talk to my dad about that..."

Anyway, I think the phraseology of this document has caused a lot of the problem. Without knowing which legal person/entity put it together, it seems that they had little idea of the nuances of these communities-which I admit is no small thing to get your head around anyway.

The point being. The initial thrust of all this was presumably to cover boards' backside. Can you guys now look at it from a users pov wrt allowing the removal of what one might deem "creative works", like pictures, programming code, poems, anything that goes outside the remit of conversational discussion? There are enough mods here to do this on request, which surely won't be that often if things run as they have, and it won't mean granting users delete permissions after the 48 hours either.

Without negating the document (because lawyers fear any departure from legalese, I've found), can you, Darragh, in the plain language you have expressed the intent of the site in this thread and others, not insert a couple of lines enshrining the fact that users own their own works, that boards aren't going to make a buck off the contributions, (I know you've suggested amendments in this line and some others already), that users can be moved to a dormant usergroup on request, signifying their withdrawal from the site without breaking threads, in short that the ethos of the site hasn't changed.

Unfortunately, the initial draft-which I assume is now in force, and will be applied retrospectively, and the way it was/is worded has negated in many people's eyes, a lot of the things that they would have previously taken for granted about b.ie. I'm sure this is not intentional, but neither is it clear that many things remain the same, because this ToU policy has created doubt in many minds that this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Definitely the former. Don't worry - it's written to be extreme, but obviously we couldn't hold you responsible if it was our fault and not yours :)

Yes.

Put what you've just said in there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭col123

i was always under the impression that you could delete/edit any post you made at any time you wished...lol... when does the edit icon disappear at the foot of posts ?

i also presumed there would be an option to get a mod to delete all your posts if you wished this action taken when closing your account, replacing each post with some standard blurb stating your gone and you took all your words with you.

imho this seems to be the correct ethical position that boards should take, the 'continuity of the conversation' should take a lesser preference over the wishes of the member who contributed his/her content even if they are only words.

imo you should not have the ability to delete your own content if it was copied into another post, eg. if you were quoted, those words should stay, or if other formats of content that you posted like photos ended up in someone elses posts as a copy they should stay also.

im not sure if this would create some sort of legal minefield for boards, i would of thought the opposite to be honest. it emphasizes that the content creator is solely and indefinitely responsible for the legal implications of the content published.

didnt facebook or mypage try to 'own' all content once by changing the TOS and had to do a quick u-turn after a community backlash ?

it wont affect me either way but i believe online community growth can stagnate by the wrong ethos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't agree with that at all - I honestly think it could compromise the whole point of the site if content could just be wiped like that. Google caches most, if not all, of the posts here anyway, so it will never be truly wiped away. I think that if there are specific posts that could get someone into trouble with their employer, or might interfere with an ongoing court case or something - then the mods/admins can look at wiping them, but not a blanket deletion of all the posts.
    imho this seems to be the correct ethical position that boards should take, the 'continuity of the conversation' should take a lesser preference over the wishes of the member who contributed his/her content even if they are only words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

On the one hand, it is a legal document and needs to be written in a legal manner. On the other, maybe we could look at taking a leaf from the Creative Commons people and posting a plain English interpretation as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Thanks for that but my line of thinking is following if Passwords are stolen through Phishing of Boards.ie also, how can i be held accountable for password theft if i am not aware of it simply by logging into Boards.ie?

I undersatnd fully that each point in the terms of use could equally be scrutinised to the very end as i am doing here but it is something i feel that needs to be clarified for users if they are to be held responsible for any activity under there username which could be hijacked by less scrupulous folks than our selves that have the IT knowledge how to do such things.

I do think that the wording of that point should be expanded to encompass Phishing etc. & what responsibility falls with who i.e. User, Boards.ie, Hackers, Phishers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

I cant find option to edit my avatar.:/

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Wow. Some scary stuff in there.

# post Material that contains violence, or offensive subject matter

Define 'offensive'.
    By posting any Material on or through Boards.ie, you grant us a limited license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Materials in connection with Boards.ie or the promotion thereof.

The license you grant to us is non-exclusive, royalty free and fully paid, sub licensable, and worldwide.

You are responsible for making sure that you have all rights to what you post, including the rights necessary for you to grant the foregoing licenses to same.

You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Material posted by you or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of the Material does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person

You agree to waive any moral rights in your Material for the purposes of its posting on Boards.ie and the purposes specified above.

Waiving moral rights ? I don't think so ! Are you sure this is legal ? It's certainly not something I'd be comfortable with.

Granting license ? You might want to drop into the songwriters thread and see what they think about that.

Based on what I've read thus far I'm not so sure I want to retain my username here and may consider making a request that all of my posts are removed.

Care to elaborate on why this is necessary ? A pre-emptive strike? Risk mitigation ? Or is there a commercial interest here ?

Ok. I've just read the updated TOU and I'm not happy with them.

I withdraw any permission implied or otherwise to use my posts.
    I assert my moral rights and have not waived them.

I would like to know how to have them removed. Please send me a PM.

Ok. I've just read the updated TOU and I'm not happy with them.

I withdraw any permission implied or otherwise to use my posts.
    I assert my moral rights and have not waived them.

I would like to know how to have them removed. Please send me a PM.

I'm going to have to get back to you on that one, I'm afraid. I don't have an answer to this straight off.

I'm going to have to get back to you on that one, I'm afraid. I don't have an answer to this straight off.

That's fair enough Darragh. However I will be insisting that the posts are removed in their entirety - this is not something I'm willing to negotiate on.

For what it's worth , I truly hope the team you're working with have conducted a proper legal review of this new TOU and the Privacy Policy. There are some very real concerns there for anyone who owns or creates IP.

I don't envy the job being done, if I were involved I would not have recommended this approach.

Thanks for the quick response.

eoin wrote: »
    If you link to a website that hosts your photo that you do have control over as opposed to attaching a photo to a thread here (and therefore having boards.ie store and host the image) - does this remove any of the ambiguity over the copyright?

I'll start with this one...

Over in the photography forum I've been heavily involved with a discussion about rights and so on with the photographers there. Following a suggested amendment to the terms, it now looks like I'll have a seperate section entirely for creative works, clarifying exactly what it is Boards.ie Ltd needs someone to grant us for us to continue the service and for our members to keep the rights to their work.

With regard to your exact query Eoin, please see here and the subsequent conversation.

Thanks

Darragh

• Advertisement

That's fair enough Darragh. However I will be insisting that the posts are removed in their entirety - this is not something I'm willing to negotiate on.

For what it's worth , I truly hope the team you're working with have conducted a proper legal review of this new TOU and the Privacy Policy. There are some very real concerns there for anyone who owns or creates IP.

I don't envy the job being done, if I were involved I would not have recommended this approach.

Thanks for the quick response.

I don't mean to jump across you, but I agree here - as per this post - we'll be including a completely seperate section for those with "creative work" (be that music, lyrics, photos, writing etc) in the TOU that states VERY CLEARLY:

1. Boards.ie Ltd does not "own" your work - you retain all rights to it - you just grant us permission to display it
    2. Your permission will only be for the piece to be displayed as you intended it:
      By posting any Material - including creative writing pieces, photographs or graphics on or through Boards.ie, you grant us a limited license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Materials in connection with Boards.ie, solely for the purpose of providing, displaying, distributing and promoting the Boards.ie forum to which such Content was submitted, or, in the case of photos or graphics, solely for the purpose for which such photo or graphic was submitted to Boards.ie.
    3. For Submissions to Boards (section 7.1 of existing) - that needs to be changed, as was orginally intended to "Submissions to Boards.ie about Boards.ie" and have the following:
      This term is not intended to apply to photographs, creative writing or similar. Boards.ie Ltd does not claim ownership of photos that you choose to post to or link to on Boards.ie. Boards.ie Ltd neither has nor wants any ownership of your work.

In this respect, for photographs or other creative or copyrighted work created by or owned by you, you retain full ownership of same. For the purposes of providing the Boards.ie service, we require you grant us a non-exclusive, royalty free and fully paid, sub licensable, and worldwide license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Materials in connection with Boards.ie, solely for the purpose of providing, displaying, distributing and promoting the Boards.ie forum to which such Content was submitted, or, in the case of photos or graphics, solely for the purpose for which such photo or graphic was submitted to Boards.ie.

Long discussions have already taken place about this - now, if you have any suggestions to offer, either in plain English or in legalese, that you want to see included in the TOU, please do post them below or via PM to me. Happy to hear them and include them if we can :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement