Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

mloc wrote: »
    Whey is just a food. You'll need more food in general to put on weight. Supplements might help a little, but nowhere near as much as simple eating more.

I find i cant eat more then i am already eating so i was wondering would creatine help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Looking to purchase whey, would NutritionX big whey be a good choice and at 49.99euro, good value? (6lbs)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

enviro wrote: »
    Looking to purchase whey, would NutritionX big whey be a good choice and at 49.99euro, good value? (6lbs)
    Nothing wrong with that brand, but if you want a cheaper alternative go here http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supplies/flavoured-protein/impact-blend/

Lots of the guys here use this crowd and even when shipping is taken into account, im sure its still chaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

I recently started weights and was wondering what sort of supplements i should be taking. I am a vegie so dont eat meat or fish but do eat dairy.

Whey protein is a good place to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Debating using a supplement after my workout (5/3/1). I work out quite late after work and usually I'm not home for food until 10ish. I don't enjoy eating or preparing much at that hour especially when Im up at 7.30 the next day. I usually have a dinner about 1-1.5 hours before the gym. Ideally I would have had a banana in the locker room and then some tuna or some protein at home.

As a first supplement should I just start with whey or would I be better off with a PWO? I'm thinking of keeping it simple and having a whey before I go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Sangre wrote: »
    I'm thinking of keeping it simple and having a whey before I go to bed.

yeah, good plan
    get some fish oil and a multi vitamin and you'll be set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Sangre wrote: »
    As a first supplement should I just start with whey or would I be better off with a PWO? I'm thinking of keeping it simple and having a whey before I go to bed.

As a PWO you would be taking whey. I find 2 scoops of whey in water mixed with some dextrose does the trick of putting the nutrients my body needs back in. If i have no dextrose i usually use grapes or pure grape juice. Sometimes i'll also eat a banana. An hour after taking your PWO there is an important meal in the form of PPWO. I usually have 2 chicken breasts and a cup of brown rice and some veg. Both are a ritual for me after a heavy session and have supported good muscle growth since i got my diet right.

Also for the consumption of whey before bed you should mix it with milk and maybe try look into cottage cheese. Releases the protein slowly throughout the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

so, has anybody tried the above and any feedback? I was reading about its benefits for endurance more than strength but it looks like it has a benefit there also?

edit: thanks for mods for moving, asleep today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dezki

does anyone know what shops in dublin or good online stores sell Scivation Xtend?
    thanks

• Advertisement

corkcomp wrote: »
    so, has anybody tried the above and any feedback? I was reading about its benefits for endurance more than strength but it looks like it has a benefit there also?

edit: thanks for mods for moving, asleep today!
    Whats your goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Esse85 wrote: »
    Whats your goal?

increased endurance, mainly for cardio .. my lifts are progressing okay but wouldnt mind doing a bit better .. i seem to be dropping fat and adding a little muscle simultaneously right now but im not looking to add much more or drop much more fat ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I find i cant eat more then i am already eating so i was wondering would creatine help

It doesn't have any calories afaik so doesn't suit your goals. You can always eat more, it just takes some effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Esse85 wrote: »
    Whey protein is a good place to start.

Thanks what dose it exactly do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As a PWO you would be taking whey. I find 2 scoops of whey in water mixed with some dextrose does the trick of putting the nutrients my body needs back in. If i have no dextrose i usually use grapes or pure grape juice. Sometimes i'll also eat a banana. An hour after taking your PWO there is an important meal in the form of PPWO. I usually have 2 chicken breasts and a cup of brown rice and some veg. Both are a ritual for me after a heavy session and have supported good muscle growth since i got my diet right.

Also for the consumption of whey before bed you should mix it with milk and maybe try look into cottage cheese. Releases the protein slowly throughout the night.
    I won't be able to have a meal an hour later. I'll be in bed.

I plan on finishing up in the gym around 10, drinking a whey shake and eating banana. Then home to my leaba! I usually have a decent dinner about an hour before the gym. I don't think I'd have time to have it after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just got the following off myprotein.co.uk for £140 shipped;

-3 tubs of protein (15lb)
    -2.5kg of vitargo
    -500g of glutamine
    -3 shakers
    -90 caps of thermopure - http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-tablets-softgels/weight-loss/thermopure/

I love how great value it is.

I've no idea what the thermopure's like, just gonna get it and give it a shot for the craic. Can't do any harm and it was cheap enough. I'm gonna tighten up my diet a lot again over the next month so it should be a nice boost. Gonna be hitting the cardio hard so may as well try to lose some fat while i'm at it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

what does glutamine actually do? its been in every whey ive ever had but ive no clue.

oh and can anyone reccomend a good myprotein flavor, i used to like the old chocolate by optimum nutrition and last time i got unflavored from myprotein

Hanley wrote: »

-3 tubs of protein (15lb)

what type of protein do you use?
    I'm definitely going to out in an order from myprotein when my current batch of supps runs out.
    currently taking:
    reflex whey protein
    kre-alkalyn creatine
    animal flex
    Eskimo 3 fish oil

why take glutamine ahead of L-Leucine?

what does glutamine actually do? its been in every whey ive ever had but ive no clue.

It always helps me recover more quickly. I certainly feel better the next day with 10-15g in a post workout shake and 5g or so before bed.

I've been drinking Banana Creme for the las 5 or 6 months and havent' got sick of it yet. The MP Max True Whey is the one I use. REALLY nice flavours in it. Cookies and Cream is good too.
    what type of protein do you use?
    I'm definitely going to out in an order from myprotein when my current batch of supps runs out.
    currently taking:
    reflex whey protein
    kre-alkalyn creatine
    animal flex
    Eskimo 3 fish oil

why take glutamine ahead of L-Leucine?

I'm just using an 80% whey, the MP Max True Whey one.

Glutamine because it makes me feel good... always noticed positive results, so reluctant to change!

I'm just using an 80% whey, the MP Max True Whey one.

Glutamine because it makes me feel good... always noticed positive results, so reluctant to change!

thanks for that.
    Will try that type of protein so.
    i was taking glutamine for a while but didn;t really notice any difference.

is it the L-Glutamine isomer you take?
    or the glutamine peptides?

• Advertisement

It always helps me recover more quickly. I certainly feel better the next day with 10-15g in a post workout shake and 5g or so before bed.

Have you tried zma or zinc&mag yet? The first week or two that I was taking it it was almost like a sleeping tablet.

Cardio, I liked strawberry from myprotein, chocolate was a bit too strong for my tastes, raspberry isn't great especially with water. You could get unflavoured and add nesquik or something either if you wanted to change it around every now again instead of having to order different flavours (note to self get some nesquik tomorrow!).

thanks for that.
    Will try that type of protein so.
    i was taking glutamine for a while but didn;t really notice any difference.

is it the L-Glutamine isomer you take?
    or the glutamine peptides?

Just regular L-gluatmine dude.

And Brian, I'm back sleeping ok now so I didn't bother. Once I'm able to sleep, the lights literally go out and I die, it's great. That's why not sleeping was so hard!

im getting paid on thursday so i may put through an order then,im running low atm

thinking of getting 5lb of banana cream
    -5lb cookies and cream
    -5lb mint chocolate
    200 caffeine tablets
    kg of glutamine
    2.5kg of vitargo...

so pretty much copying what hanleys doing yea...

Don't get caffeine tablets. They're an absolute disaster in my experience.

really? im on them now, really liking them, ive never tried the powder form but i definitly get a kick from the pills

oh and can anyone reccomend a good myprotein flavor, i used to like the old chocolate by optimum nutrition and last time i got unflavored from myprotein
    http://articles.muscletalk.co.uk/article-glutamine.aspx

And choc mint is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Have you tried zma or zinc&mag yet? The first week or two that I was taking it it was almost like a sleeping tablet.

Cardio, I liked strawberry from myprotein, chocolate was a bit too strong for my tastes, raspberry isn't great especially with water. You could get unflavoured and add nesquik or something either if you wanted to change it around every now again instead of having to order different flavours (note to self get some nesquik tomorrow!).

a friend of mine gave me half a tub of ZMA caps, i thought they just gave you a deeper sleep as opposed to making you fall asleep??

Some weird ass dreams from them tho!!

a friend of mine gave me half a tub of ZMA caps, i thought they just gave you a deeper sleep as opposed to making you fall asleep??

Some weird ass dreams from them tho!!

Well they do give you a deeper/more refreshing sleep but at least some people find they will make you really drowsy, although as I said this loses effect soon enough. T-nation claim this doesn't go away with theirs of course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭alder

Don't get caffeine tablets. They're an absolute disaster in my experience.

in ur experience doesn't mean in everyone's experience ;)

• Advertisement

alder wrote: »
    in ur experience doesn't mean in everyone's experience ;)
    but on about 4-5 things ive questioned him on his experience tends to be the right one, usually.

Advertisement