Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Sangre wrote: »
    I won't be able to have a meal an hour later. I'll be in bed.

I plan on finishing up in the gym around 10, drinking a whey shake and eating banana. Then home to my leaba! I usually have a decent dinner about an hour before the gym. I don't think I'd have time to have it after.

Ah you train late. That used to be the only time i could get to the gym and couldn't be eating at that hour. Benefits you if you can get to the gym early. Especially if trying to bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

There is nothing wrong with caffeine tabs.

The 200mg ones are 4 times the strength of pro-plus. Some people may have a very low tolerance for caffeine and therefore find 200mg tabs a bit too strong.

I take a 200mg caffeine tablet every day at breakfast. I dislike coffee or tea and the caffeine tablet is my one caffeine intake per day and akin to 2 cups of strong coffee.

Were you complaining about caffeine tabs in general or just a specific brand of tabs?

As for the powder, better value but the dosing needs to be spot on. Definitely a case of accurate to 10mg scales a necessity IMO.

I for one cannot imagine taking a gram or two of caffeine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Im having some really good sessions on caffeine too, the 200mg pills. Whats the difference between waxy maize starch and vitargo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Davei - that is a can of worms that question.
    I will be smart and say apart from price not a lot.
    I shall however wait for the verbal onslaught saying otherwise.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Davei141 wrote: »
    Im having some really good sessions on caffeine too, the 200mg pills. Whats the difference between waxy maize starch and vitargo?

caffeine tabs defo give some performance boost but i find they take an hour or so to really kick in? if you can stomach a cup of coffee with three or four spoons of coffee:eek: it would prob be just as good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

corkcomp wrote: »
    caffeine tabs defo give some performance boost but i find they take an hour or so to really kick in? if you can stomach a cup of coffee with three or four spoons of coffee:eek: it would prob be just as good

The time taken to kick in doesn't bother me i just use it to warm up, my shed is colder than outside :eek:. I tried coffee a while back using just over the normal amount, felt like getting sick, admittedly it was cheap coffee and i am not a fan in general. I don't feel any ill effects off the tabs

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

im getting paid on thursday so i may put through an order then,im running low atm

thinking of getting 5lb of banana cream
    -5lb cookies and cream
    -5lb mint chocolate
    200 caffeine tablets
    kg of glutamine
    2.5kg of vitargo...

I used to get the myprotein l-glutamine and it seemed to help recovery. A few months ago I ran out and never reordered. I didn't notice any ill effects even though I was training harder than ever before. I guess eating more compensates for the glutamine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Hi guys. Just looking for a recommendation for a protein powder. Just need a basic one, nothing fancy. Only preference I'd have is for one that mixes easily in a shaker.

I've seen this recommended a few times in this thread. Would that do the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hi guys. Just looking for a recommendation for a protein powder. Just need a basic one, nothing fancy. Only preference I'd have is for one that mixes easily in a shaker.

I've seen this recommended a few times in this thread. Would that do the job?

I've used it before and it's fine - mixes very easily and the chocolate is nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Many conflicting reviews about regarding gluatamine, i just started using it now as i hear its good at preventing colds, and if it helps with recovery then great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭alder

i've heard caffeine+ephedrine is a good boosting mix. however the second one is illegal in ROI, isn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

alder wrote: »
    i've heard caffeine+ephedrine is a good boosting mix. however the second one is illegal in ROI, isn't it ?

ye its great wit caffeine but as you said it is illegal, ive ordered these

http://www.desirablebody.co.uk/products/FORZA-XLR8-%28250%29.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Add aspirin to it and you have whats called an ECA stack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

in ur experience doesn't mean in everyone's experience ;)

Obviously.
    Davei141 wrote: »
    The Guvnor wrote: »
    Davei - that is a can of worms that question.
    I will be smart and say apart from price not a lot.
    I shall however wait for the verbal onslaught saying otherwise.:)

I prefer Vitargo cos it goes down easier. The difference in price isn't really a whole lot either.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭solway

hi g'em,
    was wondering what your take is on nutritionx xxx.Im taking it now for about 4 weeks and find the recovery side of it not to be great. After doing weights (especially chest exercises) my pecs would be sore for 2 to 3 days and as a result i cant do chest exercises for those few days. Where am i going wrong?

Great thread by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

solway wrote: »
    Where am i going wrong?

I dont understand how you expect to train your chest again the next day or day after if you've trained them hard already, unless its pushups which you can do every day if you like
    It doesnt matter what supplement you use, your body has its own healing time

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ah you train late. That used to be the only time i could get to the gym and couldn't be eating at that hour. Benefits you if you can get to the gym early. Especially if trying to bulk.

Unfortunately 3 out of 4 of my training sessions will be late. Not ideal but I don't have much choice at the moment. I'm going to try and not worry about it. Its not like I'm nearing my peak and trying to optimise my routine! Hopefully hard work and diet will get me 90% of the way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rory16

Could me anything about Syntha 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

What is the best protein drink for building muscle??

Thanks

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

What is the best protein drink for building muscle??

Thanks

been banned on google ?

• Advertisement

so, has anybody tried the above and any feedback? I was reading about its benefits for endurance more than strength but it looks like it has a benefit there also?

edit: thanks for mods for moving, asleep today!

just bumping this .. only looking for replies from people who have used this ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

so, has anybody tried the above and any feedback? I was reading about its benefits for endurance more than strength but it looks like it has a benefit there also?

edit: thanks for mods for moving, asleep today!

I've used it a few times and i think i'm gonna buy some now soon. it's great in a few ways. it essentially works as a pH buffer in your muscles, i.e. it keeps acid from building up while you exercise, which is what causes muscular fatigue. doing weights you'll find you can get a few more reps out (at lower weights) and at higher weights (around 3rm or 5rm) you'll get more sets out. I've never used it while doing cardio workouts but the rowers i know that take it say it's great for shorter sessions, less than 40 mins, and especially for HIIT sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

been banned on google ?

I am looking for what experienced users here think rather than random results on google.

thanks.

Parsley wrote: »
    I've used it a few times and i think i'm gonna buy some now soon. it's great in a few ways. it essentially works as a pH buffer in your muscles, i.e. it keeps acid from building up while you exercise, which is what causes muscular fatigue. doing weights you'll find you can get a few more reps out (at lower weights) and at higher weights (around 3rm or 5rm) you'll get more sets out. I've never used it while doing cardio workouts but the rowers i know that take it say it's great for shorter sessions, less than 40 mins, and especially for HIIT sessions.

ah, so it slows lactic acid build up? it sounds good already because that really kills me during longer sessions and it feels totally different to glycogen depletion i.e. I end up totally f****d for a few minutes before being able to continue

let me know if you know where this can be purchased, either online or in Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

ah, so it slows lactic acid build up? it sounds good already because that really kills me during longer sessions and it feels totally different to glycogen depletion i.e. I end up totally f****d for a few minutes before being able to continue

let me know if you know where this can be purchased, either online or in Cork!

it's not just lactic acid buildup, far as I know. It's just the H+ ions that result from working muscles. I'm not too sure bout the exact science cos it's a long time since i read up on it but it feckin' works anyway :pac:

I'd order from myprotein.co.uk. Before i used the ON threshold stuff, looked for it in the cork supplement shop but they didn't have it a couple weeks ago, yer man said i'd be better off getting it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

what supplement are ye guys talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

beta alanine, the question was about 2 pages back or more. I was confused too.

K09 wrote: »
    I am looking for what experienced users here think rather than random results on google.

thanks.

alrite man. what i can say is u won't find an answer. there isn't the best protein drink. even if there was, no way each n every person would recommend the same one. to me, i can say Nitroprogen (Trec) is very good as it's a complex of proteins (whey, caseine, egg protein). most of protein supplements have whey only. let's not forget that the best protein for a human being, save for mother's milk, is egg white protein. therefore Nitroprogen is one i can franly recommend to you, and i do.

Parsley wrote: »
    it's not just lactic acid buildup, far as I know. It's just the H+ ions that result from working muscles. I'm not too sure bout the exact science cos it's a long time since i read up on it but it feckin' works anyway :pac:

I'd order from myprotein.co.uk. Before i used the ON threshold stuff, looked for it in the cork supplement shop but they didn't have it a couple weeks ago, yer man said i'd be better off getting it online.

Job done, ordered 180 capsules from myprotein.co.uk (pain in the butt to register on that site - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055469370&page=3).

O/T, did the supplement shop at the back of coal quay move / close down or is there more than one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

alrite man. what i can say is u won't find an answer. there isn't the best protein drink. even if there was, no way each n every person would recommend the same one. to me, i can say Nitroprogen (Trec) is very good as it's a complex of proteins (whey, caseine, egg protein). most of protein supplements have whey only. let's not forget that the best protein for a human being, save for mother's milk, is egg white protein. therefore Nitroprogen is one i can franly recommend to you, and i do.

Nitroprogen is great, and not too expensive. (If you buy anything in the Vitamin Shop in the Moore St Mall on Thursdays you get 15% off, and they sell a lot of Trec stuff.) It's also a good mix with Porridge in the mornings.

If it's not to your taste though, then BSN True Mass comes highly recommended from myself.

As the Op said, there is no 'Best Protein Supp,' it's all down to what you need, what kind of physique you have and what your goals are.

Advertisement