Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Historic Dublin Pictures & Videos Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Rashers wrote: »
    That's the Ashtown Tin Box company in center picture?
    Me and my Da used to deliver to that building when it was owned by Kraft Foods I think.
    Now it's a car delearship.
    I must ask him if he knew what it used to be.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hermy wrote: »
    Me and my Da used to deliver to that building when it was owned by Kraft Foods I think.
    Now it's a car delearship.
    I must ask him if he knew what it used to be.

Strangley enough it was a factory for making tin boxes!! I dont recall Kraft owning it, though that's possible.
    Or you could be confusing it with another margarine company that was near there, further up the canal at the 12th lock. That factory is now a block of apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

An absolutely brilliant thread, thanks all for the wonderful pictures and videos. A Dublin I'd prefer to know by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Gaspode wrote: »
    Ashtown @ Halfway House in the 1940s:
    AshtownCrossroads1948.jpg

Great picture Gaspode, I wonder if they're goalposts behind Kellys pub, was there a sports field there? Although looking again the field might be too narrow for a pitch. A little further on that road, beside the canal, was a great place for catching frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Some great street scenes from 1960's Dublin in this British Pathe film.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=68382

• Advertisement

And a rather austere looking Dublin in 1948.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=64892

And Arthur Griffiths funeral in 1922,inc. some shots of Collins.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=18819

Apologies if these have been posted before,i haven't come across them in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

lord lucan wrote: »
    Some great street scenes from 1960's Dublin in this British Pathe film.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=68382

It's entitled See You At The Pillar (1960) though the voice over discusses how the pillar is gone from O'Connell St. a minute in which places the filming to at least 1966. On closer inspection it says "Issue Date: 1960 - 1969".

Quite confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

While I was out looking for 'ghost signs' I took a pic of this plinth in O'Connell Street.
    Does anyone know what it was for?
    Picture_086_Medium.jpg

See here also.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I believe they were for statues, i could be wrong though.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

From page 35 of this thread:

It's 1961 and at that time it had a taxi sign mounted on it
    Exit wrote: »

P12241.jpg

P12239.jpg

Rashers wrote: »
    It was a temporary altar that was used for mass during the Eucharistic Congress of 1932.

Here's a pic from a different angle and showing some of the crowd.

1932-2.jpg

Looks like a clock on it in this pic from earlier in the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OCllStClock2.jpg

The_Edge wrote: »
    It's 1961 and at that time it had a taxi sign mounted on it
    A bit ironic that and me driving a taxi the past few years.:p

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Copy_of_Picture_011_Medium.jpg
    I've been meaning to post a picture of what this area looks like now so here it is...
    Picture_062_Medium.jpg
    Picture_063_Medium_1.jpg

But here's something else from the same street which I spotted while looking for ghost signs...
    Picture_059_Medium_1.jpg
    Picture_058_Medium_1.jpg

The lettering in the ghost sign looks quite similar to that highlighted in the old picture.
    Would the sale of Exide Batteries have been commonplace back then?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

According to wikipedia, Exide released their first battery with that name on it in 1900 so its very possible it could be original lettering for the same period.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just as an aside, that site of Exide Batteries was the scene of great tragedy in 1936 when 3 firemen lost their lives fighting a fire there. There is a plaque commerating it in Trinity College.

Here's a link (see after Stardust) :http://www.irishfireservices.ie/pages/historicalfires.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

South Great Georges Street heading toward Camden Street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭ab20

Hermy that is a good one, can somebody tell the corpo that there are Luas tracks under the Tarmac so they don't have to go laying any on Pearse Street when they decide to run the Luas down that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 cliffie

humberklog wrote: »
    Ok I've come across over 500 hundred photos. Some haven't been seen and some have already found their way onto the net. Most are from East Wall and a lot will be of groups such as football teams and confo group photos etc, but some are just stock and trade old photos.

I have to give a very big thank you to Paddy the Butcher down in East Wall for gathering up the locals' memories and giving over the front window of his shop. He's a character that Dublin's by far the richer for and his meat is very good and at excellent prices.

These first lot have possibly been posted previously but I will gat around to sorting out others. So once again thanks Paddy, Paul and Tom...

Behan at the Reptile House...
    E858AFDBCFB14E5187F6CF93655DB29A.jpg

Outside Werburgh St dole...
    922F37D9391D4C73ABB68A50F0BD9A72-500.jpg

A4E1F8B48B2A41FB93A1BD7F02063DDC-500.jpg

48966211999143C1B4D35AC55BA6E72E.jpg
    johnny pushing cart, pat clifford in it,this photo was taking about 1966
    90E1132149F74AC88A5A5B2C0090E04C-500.jpg

Now I appreciate that some have been posted but it wont do any harm for reminders but I will get into the original stuff over the next few weeks. I'm chasing up a cracking story about a church that disappeared...so it's a work in progress. Remember...Paddy the butcher...great sausages!!
    johnny pushing cart, pat clifford in it,this photo was taking about 1966

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

P12241.jpg

Amazing pictures... this one stood out the most to me. Above the Taxi and "Cravens" sign on the second building in (now Pharmacy and G1 Skate) there's a sign for "Tattoo Artist". I didn't think that there would have been any tattoo artists around Dublin at that stage... let alone on O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

P12241.jpg

That's awesome :D Wonder who ran the "Tattoo Artist" shop on O'Connell St back in 1961! :D

(Thanks for pointing the thread + pic out to us Dord! :) )

I never knew that the Henry Grattan statue on College Green used to have four lamp posts surrounding it.

dublingrattanstatue.jpg

Picture from - http://www.libraryireland.com/Atlas/Dublin-Grattan-Statue.php

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Think those lampbases ended up on Grattan Bridge...
    essex2.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Think those lampbases ended up on Grattan Bridge...
    essex2.jpg

Wow. That's amazing. I also didn't know that either.

Are they sea horses? I wonder what's the connection there?

(Edit - It seems there's two of the sea horse statues still at the statue on college green and two on the bridge)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

"Did ya ever''.. By Pat McCann

Another earlier poem from Pat McCann

And here's a song I haven't heard in donkeys..

'Dublin town, 1962'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1968 wrote: »
    Wow. That's amazing. I also didn't know that either.

Are they sea horses? I wonder what's the connection there?

(Edit - It seems there's two of the sea horse statues still at the statue on college green and two on the bridge)
    Here's a larger image. They seem to be half horse/half fish as opposed to sea horses.

BridgeGrattan.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Here's a larger image. They seem to be half horse/half fish as opposed to sea horses.

Hippocampus

• Advertisement

Cheers for posting the larger image.

So, I wonder when the two lamps behind the Henry Grattan were removed and the hippocampus' attached to the Henry Grattan bridge (Capel Street)?

Or are the hippocampus' separate and nothing to do with the lamp posts on College Green?

Advertisement