Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I meant to ask, actually; does anybody know how long (in months) it normally takes from the beginning of training until the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

i think it takes a good 6-8 months thats how long it took for a friend of mine..not certain of that doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

How long before I hear back from the interview? I heard about a week in some cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 darren__fallon

I was just wondering did anyone apply from exemption from an educational qualification for the
    Gards Reserve?? i passed the interview stage and now im on the background checks but i don't haver the maths qualification so now ive to fill out a form im just wondering did anybody have the same problem as me as the girl said there only granted in extreme circumstances. any feedback would be helpful im really worried about this thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi, if you have no leaving cert but have other qualifications it will be considered, you must have something comparable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 darren__fallon

oh i have a leaving cert alrite i just didnt get the grade in maths. I meet every qualification except the required grade in maths and now i have to do this exemtion form i just think its rediculous i passed the interview stage and im deemed suitable and now there judging me on a maths grade hows that gonna effect me in the garda reserves????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

oh i have a leaving cert alrite i just didnt get the grade in maths. I meet every qualification except the required grade in maths and now i have to do this exemtion form i just think its rediculous i passed the interview stage and im deemed suitable and now there judging me on a maths grade hows that gonna effect me in the garda reserves????

o you ll need maths big time in this game you have no idea i ll give a short example
    flash has a tenner and buys chips and curry now this costs 5.30 how many cups of tea and galaxy bars can he buy on the rest of da shift;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

da__flash wrote: »
    o you ll need maths big time in this game you have no idea i ll give a short example
    flash has a tenner and buys chips and curry now this costs 5.30 how many cups of tea and galaxy bars can he buy on the rest of da shift;)

That's actually very witty.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭chippy12

very good flash got a good laugh from that????

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Usually it's the one closest to your home address

In my experience it depends on what Sgt is assigned the role of liasing with potential reserves in each district. In my case I dropped the application into my local station but the Sgt responsible was based in a different station within the same district.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

I have the same issue barney i had my sergeant interview about 5-6 weeks ago although my local station is fairly busy im getting a bit worried theyve forgotten about me.
    my sergeant said the super would be in touch ina few weeks?
    how was your interview?

I felt she was very nice and basically went through my br form.how was yours?

It's been 4weeks since I met the seg do ye tink I should ring to see if they have forgotton about me

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    (For me at least...) I had the interview with the super and he said during the interview itself that he'd be backing my application (i.e. that he'd be sending it back to HQ with a thumbs up). Got the call to arrange the medical within 2/3 weeks after that. Good luck with it.

Well done quick question how long was it from the time you met the seg to time you met super?I'm waiting four weeks and no word so far

Well done quick question how long was it from the time you met the seg to time you met super?I'm waiting four weeks and no word so far

ahh god im nervous now if he doesnt recommend me thats the end of the line..
    i suppose it wouldnt do you any harm to give them a buzz barney but maybe give it a week or so as my sergeant interview was 5 or 6 weeks ago even 7?

just to egoshea..hopefully im the same as you getting a call for a medical a couple of weeks after the interview :)

ahh god im nervous now if he doesnt recommend me thats the end of the line..
    i suppose it wouldnt do you any harm to give them a buzz barney but maybe give it a week or so as my sergeant interview was 5 or 6 weeks ago even 7?

just to egoshea..hopefully im the same as you getting a call for a medical a couple of weeks after the interview :)

Man don't worry you got this far so keep the cool head ull be fine

Man don't worry you got this far so keep the cool head ull be fine

the wait is unbearable isnt it!the not knowing kills me :L
    when was your initial interview?

Interestingly, I didn't actually meet the sergeant 'in the flesh' at all, so to speak. I contacted him over the phone to check up on the progress of my application and we chatted very briefly at that point. He was very helpful in terms of getting on to them himself to move things on and I got a phonecall to arrange the super interview very shortly after that - too much of a coincidence not to have had anything to do with his call, I'd say. But I never actually met him - except for when I handed my application in to my local station, but this wasn't an interview of any sort - he really just signed the form and agreed to send it off.

All of this took place over way longer than 4 weeks though - it was about 2/3 months, I'd say, at least. Never any harm to give people a shout - without annoying them, of course - if you're in doubt. All the best with it.

Interestingly, I didn't actually meet the sergeant 'in the flesh' at all, so to speak. I contacted him over the phone to check up on the progress of my application and we chatted very briefly at that point. He was very helpful in terms of getting on to them himself to move things on and I got a phonecall to arrange the super interview very shortly after that - too much of a coincidence not to have had anything to do with his call, I'd say. But I never actually met him - except for when I handed my application in to my local station, but this wasn't an interview of any sort - he really just signed the form and agreed to send it off.

All of this took place over way longer than 4 weeks though - it was about 2/3 months, I'd say, at least. Never any harm to give people a shout - without annoying them, of course - if you're in doubt. All the best with it.

had my super interview felt it went well he was very nice but to be honest he never once mentioned he'd be recommending my application and he thought that the next step was for me to have my initial first public jobs interview until i informed him otherwise?? im very nervous now..
    anybody gone through the super interview and not been told they would be recommended?

had my super interview felt it went well he was very nice but to be honest he never once mentioned he'd be recommending my application and he thought that the next step was for me to have my initial first public jobs interview until i informed him otherwise?? im very nervous now..
    anybody gone through the super interview and not been told they would be recommended?
    Eliezer Powerful Signal: Sorry if me saying that worried you. I genuinely think that the particular super I was speaking to just happenend to say it - this doesn't seem to be some sort of 'procedural' thing at all. It's just something he happened to mention. Seriously, man, don't worry about it.

I don't understand what you mean by the next step being your "first public jobs interview". Wasn't that your first step? It seems to be up to the super to pass your application back to HQ and then you get called for your medical once your background checks are through.

J.C: Sorry if me saying that worried you. I genuinely think that the particular super I was speaking to just happenend to say it - this doesn't seem to be some sort of 'procedural' thing at all. It's just something he happened to mention. Seriously, man, don't worry about it.

I don't understand what you mean by the next step being your "first public jobs interview". Wasn't that your first step? It seems to be up to the super to pass your application back to HQ and then you get called for your medical once your background checks are through.

ahh no no not atal egoshea youv been nothing but helpfull :)
    yea exactly that was my first step??he then went on to explain the interview board will consist of a retired guard and so on??i just said i had passed that interview and the serg and super was the next stage?

• Advertisement

ahh no no not atal egoshea youv been nothing but helpfull :)
    yea exactly that was my first step??he then went on to explain the interview board will consist of a retired guard and so on??i just said i had passed that interview and the serg and super was the next stage?
    With the utmost of respect to your particular super, it sounds as though he may not be aware of the procedure regarding the processing of reserve applications. Depending on the station, some people involved (including those at my local one) aren't so used to the reserve yet. Maybe you could give him - or a secretary of his, etc - a call and respectfully enquire as to what the next step will be. You can then suggest that the application needs to be sent back to HQ if he/she starts talking about PAS interviews. Open to other suggestions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wouldn't worry about the Insp/Super meeting, Sgt said within the week to me and it was more like a month before I met the Inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I got my letter today

I passed interview and written exam stage!

Thanks for everyones help!! :cool:

funkyflea wrote: »
    I got my letter today

I passed interview and written exam stage!

Thanks for everyones help!! :cool:
    Well done!!!!
    garda_indo_308831t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Does anyone thing the interview & written exercise had gotten harder for the Garda Reserve ? Or does anyone think the Garda Reserve recruitment process should be made harder ? I ask this as there seems to be lots of people after passing lets say in the last 8months.... I ask this as ive mentioned before I'm waiting on background checks since Feb 08 but god knows how many more people are waiting aswell ? If they keep recruiting at a good rate and the majority of people pass then by the time applications like myself start coming through for the medical will it also create a backlog for the Garda Reserve?? As the recruitment is ongoing then im sure people that a good amount people that are applying might be held up " long term" like myself.... Any comments on this ?:confused::D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Does anyone thing the interview & written exercise had gotten harder for the Garda Reserve ? Or does anyone think the Garda Reserve recruitment process should be made harder ? I ask this as there seems to be lots of people after passing lets say in the last 8months.... I ask this as ive mentioned before I'm waiting on background checks since Feb 08 but god knows how many more people are waiting aswell ? If they keep recruiting at a good rate and the majority of people pass then by the time applications like myself start coming through for the medical will it also create a backlog for the Garda Reserve?? As the recruitment is ongoing then im sure people that a good amount people that are applying might be held up " long term" like myself.... Any comments on this ?:confused::D;)

Of course, but they need numbers and fast to reduce the effect of the recruitment freeze on full time numbers.

Going to course problems down the road. God knows who's being rushed thought the gates

With the utmost of respect to your particular super, it sounds as though he may not be aware of the procedure regarding the processing of reserve applications. Depending on the station, some people involved (including those at my local one) aren't so used to the reserve yet. Maybe you could give him - or a secretary of his, etc - a call and respectfully enquire as to what the next step will be. You can then suggest that the application needs to be sent back to HQ if he/she starts talking about PAS interviews. Open to other suggestions though.

yea thats what i thought maybe the super interview is first regarding full time members and he assumed it was the same?i think il give it a few weeks and then give them a ring..
    i rang HQ and the girl there said that he will have to fill out a confidential form anyhow and send it to them?
    ill jus live in hope :L

how long have you been waiting egoshea?
    the process seems to be moving alot faster than before :)
    just hope they ent forgettin about some of the folks on here waiting over a year, two in some cases.

yea thats what i thought maybe the super interview is first regarding full time members and he assumed it was the same?i think il give it a few weeks and then give them a ring..
    i rang HQ and the girl there said that he will have to fill out a confidential form anyhow and send it to them?
    ill jus live in hope :L

how long have you been waiting egoshea?
    the process seems to be moving alot faster than before :)
    just hope they ent forgettin about some of the folks on here waiting over a year, two in some cases.
    I did my first interview in Killarney at the very start of July '09 following a wait of about 2/3 months for that interview to be arranged. My medical is next week and (assuming I pass it) I'll then begin training in February '10. So, from the very first interview to the beginning of the training, I guess that'll have taken 7-7.5 months in total.

Yourself and some of the others' view that the processing is accelerating sounds fair enough - even the email inviting me to the medical said very clearly to respond "ASAP". But if they are beginning to speed things up - because of the recruitment freeze or whatever other reasons - why do they not also speed up the processing of older applications? If they were in a rush to get as many people as possible, and this was going to result in such a 'rush', why wouldn't they give preference to those who've not only been waiting longer but whose applications should also have been 'further along' anyway. Hard to see why.

I did my first interview in Killarney at the very start of July '09 following a wait of about 2/3 months for that interview to be arranged. My medical is next week and (assuming I pass it) I'll then begin training in February '10. So, from the very first interview to the beginning of the training, I guess that'll have taken 7-7.5 months in total.

Yourself and some of the others' view that the processing is accelerating sounds fair enough - even the email inviting me to the medical said very clearly to respond "ASAP". But if they are beginning to speed things up - because of the recruitment freeze or whatever other reasons - why do they not also speed up the processing of older applications? If they were in a rush to get as many people as possible, and this was going to result in such a 'rush', why wouldn't they give preference to those who've not only been waiting longer but whose applications should also have been 'further along' anyway. Hard to see why.

im basically in the same boat as yourself done my interview in dublin in july and have gotten this far although i havent been asked to attend a medical and only had my super interview today..when did yours take place?
    it seems odd that yours could only take 7 or 8 months when others are waiting nearly two years?what could possibly delay it that much?
    hopefully i get the call soon :)
    do you wish to get into the fulltime or is it just for experience?

• Advertisement

im basically in the same boat as yourself done my interview in dublin in july and have gotten this far although i havent been asked to attend a medical and only had my super interview today..when did yours take place?
    it seems odd that yours could only take 7 or 8 months when others are waiting nearly two years?what could possibly delay it that much?
    hopefully i get the call soon :)
    do you wish to get into the fulltime or is it just for experience?
    I have no idea regarding the logic underlying the timing of the application process. Why it takes some people so long and myself and others so short makes no sense to me. Haven't a clue. Sounds like your medical will be arranged shortly but, as always, don't hold your breath.

Maybe we could all leave something like this below to be able to work out an average length of time/variation for the application process?

July (early) '09: Initial interview and report-writing.

July (mid) '09: Informed that I passed and instructed to fill out BR form and bring it in to my local station.

Completed this around late Jul/early Aug and had very brief chat with sergeant - not at all an interview; just discussing what he has to do next with the form.

Nov (early-mid) '09: Called sergeant to check up on progress - he tells me that someone from the super's office said they had tried phoning me (I didn't have anything on my phone about this) and said he'd look into it for me. 1 week later I call him back (as instructed by him if I hadn't heard from them by then) and he calls them back again. This time I get a phonecall about 15 minutes later from someone to arrange the super interview for the next week.

Nov (mid) '09: Superintendent interview.

Nov (late): Medical arranged.

Dec (mid) '09: Medical to be held.

Feb '10: Training begins.

Advertisement