Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    I have no idea regarding the logic underlying the timing of the application process. Why it takes some people so long and myself and others so short makes no sense to me. Haven't a clue. Sounds like your medical will be arranged shortly but, as always, don't hold your breath.

Maybe we could all leave something like this below to be able to work out an average length of time/variation for the application process?

July (early) '09: Initial interview and report-writing.

July (mid) '09: Informed that I passed and instructed to fill out BR form and bring it in to my local station.

Completed this around late Jul/early Aug and had very brief chat with sergeant - not at all an interview; just discussing what he has to do next with the form.

Nov (early-mid) '09: Called sergeant to check up on progress - he tells me that someone from the super's office said they had tried phoning me (I didn't have anything on my phone about this) and said he'd look into it for me. 1 week later I call him back (as instructed by him if I hadn't heard from them by then) and he calls them back again. This time I get a phonecall about 15 minutes later from someone to arrange the super interview for the next week.

Nov (mid) '09: Superintendent interview.

Nov (late): Medical arranged.

Dec (mid) '09: Medical to be held.

Feb '10: Training begins.

Heres how im doing EOSHEA....:D

Applied Oct - 07
    Interview/written report start of Feb 08
    Handed in Gr2(at the time) in Feb 08
    Waiting on medical since!! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Heres how im doing EOSHEA....:D

Applied Oct - 07
    Interview/written report start of Feb 08
    Handed in Gr2(at the time) in Feb 08
    Waiting on medical since!! :D;)
    Wow - that makes no sense. Have they given any idea why that might be the case? I won't lie and say that I'm not happy mine took shorter but it does seem a bit unfair. I hope you get it soon.

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    Wow - that makes no sense. Have they given any idea why that might be the case? I won't lie and say that I'm not happy mine took shorter but it does seem a bit unfair. I hope you get it soon.

Thanks... said its being progressed... that's what they always say.... but hey they know im still here and there doin there job best as they can, id say there waiting on the vetting unit to send on the rest of the background checks... Ill wait and hopefully i will be called soon....;) i have only 4 relations abroad, 2 and England and 2 in America so hopefully the wait is nearly over... :) Thanks for the support :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

July (mid) '09: Informed that I passed and instructed to fill out BR form and bring it in to my local station.

August/September: handed my BR form into local station.

Late October: metting with sergeant

Late November: detective calls out to the house for a chat (says he'll report back everythings all good) wasnt from my local station it was as if part of my BR form had been sent to which ever department he deals with?

9th December: sergeant interview.

waiting for word back now :)
    fingers crossed.

In regards to relatives abroad your relatives local station would look after the matter not an garda siochana (obviously) so that could explain the delay.

just to egoshea do you have an relatives abroad?

August/September: handed my BR form into local station.

Late October: metting with sergeant

Late November: detective calls out to the house for a chat (says he'll report back everythings all good) wasnt from my local station it was as if part of my BR form had been sent to which ever department he deals with?

9th December: sergeant interview.

waiting for word back now :)
    fingers crossed.

In regards to relatives abroad your relatives local station would look after the matter not an garda siochana (obviously) so that could explain the delay.

just to egoshea do you have an relatives abroad?
    Well my wife's family (then my fiance) were all listed and they're Danish. One of my uncles is living in England for years now. And my brother and his wife live in New York.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mitchell75

I applied in Oct 09 (Dublin)
    Did interview and exam in early November
    Completed Background check form by late November and
    Had my interview with the Supt yesterday.

I thought it would be a slower process.

I have been told that the next lot of medicals will be in Jan 10.

Mitchell75 wrote: »
    I applied in Oct 09 (Dublin)
    Did interview and exam in early November
    Completed Background check form by late November and
    Had my interview with the Supt yesterday.

I thought it would be a slower process.

I have been told that the next lot of medicals will be in Jan 10.
    That must be the quickest application I've heard of yet! Sounds like about 4 months from initial interview to commencement of training.

My medical's next week and the impression I got from the reserve office is that they're ongoing all the time. Good luck with yours and hope to see you in february.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mitchell75

Thanks! Hope it goes well in the medical.
    I would love to be there in February.

I asked the Supt about possible locations for postings and he mentioned that it may be possible to be based in my own town given that I am a blow in. (only there for the last 7 years).

Can only wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

That's crap for example certain high profile rugby stars are in the 40 bracket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I applied March 09
    Test & Interview May 09
    Submitted BR form June 09
    Sgts interview Nov 09, said BR completed and all clear (had a couple of relatives in UK)
    Said would be in touch soon re Inspector / Super interview (no word yet)
    Hopefully medical then and training in Feb (fingers crossed...!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pure_mule

spartan - id be getting on the phone to try and arrange your supt's interview. Try and get it sorted befor christmas so you wont be held up in Jan!

Spartan09 wrote: »
    I applied March 09
    Test & Interview May 09
    Submitted BR form June 09
    Sgts interview Nov 09, said BR completed and all clear (had a couple of relatives in UK)
    Said would be in touch soon re Inspector / Super interview (no word yet)
    Hopefully medical then and training in Feb (fingers crossed...!!)

Hey der so your saying the sergeant told you the backrounds complete. As for me I applied July. interview late september .confirmation passed start october. Br form handed in by 13 October. I met the sergeant 7 November and nothin heard back since then. Should I ring Hq or just wait for the super to ring me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hi all, quick question about the BR form, my employer doesn't give references however they can provide me with a letter confirming my employment, what can I do in this case?

I have some family that are unreachable as haven't spoken to them in years and none of my family have their address, what can I do in this case (specifically an uncle), don't know their date of birth exactly, or known address..

Hey der so your saying the sergeant told you the backrounds complete. As for me I applied July. interview late september .confirmation passed start october. Br form handed in by 13 October. I met the sergeant 7 November and nothin heard back since then. Should I ring Hq or just wait for the super to ring me

Barney - if i were you I would ring the supt's office and explain that you have been waiting for an appointment and try and meet him before chistmas so he can reccomend your application and you can get your application moving again.

I see from a previous post that you are concerned about the bmi...as am I, do you mind me asking what is you weight/height? P.M me if you dont want to say in thread.

Pure_Mule :)

pure_mule wrote: »
    Barney - if i were you I would ring the supt's office and explain that you have been waiting for an appointment and try and meet him before chistmas so he can reccomend your application and you can get your application moving again.

I see from a previous post that you are concerned about the bmi...as am I, do you mind me asking what is you weight/height? P.M me if you dont want to say in thread.

Pure_Mule :)

I'm 6"2 and 17 stone usually abit heavier ting is I play alot of rugby and I'm fit enough not overweight I'd say.would the supers office no that I'm waiting on an appointment.would you just ring the station and ask to be put through to the supers office. Or would ringing Hq help

I'm 6"2 and 17 stone usually abit heavier ting is I play alot of rugby and I'm fit enough not overweight I'd say.would the supers office no that I'm waiting on an appointment.would you just ring the station and ask to be put through to the supers office. Or would ringing Hq help

no need to ring hq - the supts meeting is to do with the local station only. they shoud know but just tell them that you want to meet him as part of your reserve application.

good to hear from another simialar sized fella. im 6ft 4" and 16 stone at the moment. want to be down to to 15 1/2 at the most though by the medical. just worked out your bmi on this...

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

puts you at 30.6 - 30 being the maximum allowed for the medical. Do you think you could get it down? of are you muscular without much bodyfat to lose?

no need to ring hq - the supts meeting is to do with the local station only. they shoud know but just tell them that you want to meet him as part of your reserve application.

good to hear from another simialar sized fella. im 6ft 4" and 16 stone at the moment. want to be down to to 15 1/2 at the most though by the medical. just worked out your bmi on this...

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

puts you at 30.6 - 30 being the maximum allowed for the medical. Do you think you could get it down? of are you muscular without much bodyfat to lose?

I'm no body builder but I'm toned I need my size for rugby and being honest I'm only puttin back on the weight after an operation. If they do the athletes bmi test I'm fine that's when they use thecallipers.the sergant gave me her number. Would you think giving her a call first would be advisable

I'm no body builder but I'm toned I need my size for rugby and being honest I'm only puttin back on the weight after an operation. If they do the athletes bmi test I'm fine that's when they use thecallipers.the sergant gave me her number. Would you think giving her a call first would be advisable

Ya of course give her a call. Im sure she would be happy to accomodate you. Its not an athlethes bmi btw. But if you are fit and toned I cant see the doctor refusing you if you are slighty over the reccommended bmi.

Ya of course give her a call. Im sure she would be happy to accomodate you. Its not an athlethes bmi btw. But if you are fit and toned I cant see the doctor refusing you if you are slighty over the reccommended bmi.

Thanks for the help I'll give her a call in the morning let's hope
    she's working. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

dunno about this, there's 100's of people applying, if you're over the 30 mark you're out and it's back to the start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

funkyflea wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question about the BR form, my employer doesn't give references however they can provide me with a letter confirming my employment, what can I do in this case?

I have some family that are unreachable as haven't spoken to them in years and none of my family have their address, what can I do in this case (specifically an uncle), don't know their date of birth exactly, or known address..

Have a simlar problem regarding a family member.I rang HQ and they basically told me to put down what I did know but if I didnt know there address for example just put down 'unknown whereabouts'.So thats what I put down on the BR form,just hope it does'nt hold up my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I am not looking forward to not knowing if I'll get a call for my medical in early January, right after this 'oh so tempting & I can't always pass' festive food combined with the frrrreezing mornings and evenings making it even more tempting to pass on the walking/jogging and kick back inside instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I am not looking forward to not knowing if I'll get a call for my medical in early January, right after this 'oh so tempting & I can't always pass' festive food combined with the frrrreezing mornings and evenings making it even more tempting to pass on the walking/jogging and kick back inside instead.

Same here...though have a cold or something to keep me from doing some fitness...well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :D

kerry4sam wrote: »

Second that kerryforsam. Try my position - returning home after 3 months abroad. . . to my girlfriend who has planned a weekend break, and various meals etc, and then the lads who will be on the phone relentlessy dragging me on a session. Its easy to avioid the demon drink out here but I fear home will be a different story!

Crash Diet/Detox from Jan 1st!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Another factor which may hold up peoples applications a little is your references, the Sgt who processes the application has to contact each of your references to make sure that they actually wrote them and to double check that you're who you say you are and are ok so if there's any delay in the referee getting back to the Garda that could slow things down. I prepped both my references that the Garda would be contacting them and to get back in touch as soon as possible.

I got a letter today saying my application was rejected.... I just cant figure it out... I have 7 days to appeal the decision.. My brother was in a few incidents but 3 weeks ago the chief super sent a letter off to hq and assured me it wouldnt be rejected that it was noting major of noting to worry about...no one else in my family was ever in trouble so im so disappointed but ill defiantly appeal...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I got a letter today saying my application was rejected.... I just cant figure it out... I have 7 days to appeal the decision.. My brother was in a few incidents but 3 weeks ago the chief super sent a letter off to hq and assured me it wouldnt be rejected that it was noting major of noting to worry about...no one else in my family was ever in trouble so im so disappointed but ill defiantly appeal...:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    MAN HARD LUCK YOU CAME THIS FAR DONT GIVE UP APPEAL IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Well Tommy,

A big sorry to here about that news...See can you find out Why? :eek:

Keep the chin up - Oooh yeah Happy Xmas...:( McJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

MAN HARD LUCK YOU CAME THIS FAR DONT GIVE UP APPEAL IT.

Don't post in all capital letters please on this forum.

Advertisement