Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Is there any time limit on getting the BR form back? Havin trouble gettin the references..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I got a letter today saying my application was rejected.... I just cant figure it out... I have 7 days to appeal the decision.. My brother was in a few incidents but 3 weeks ago the chief super sent a letter off to hq and assured me it wouldnt be rejected that it was noting major of noting to worry about...no one else in my family was ever in trouble so im so disappointed but ill defiantly appeal...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tommy-Kerry I am sorry to hear this. Can I ask you what date was put on your letter, as in was it a recent decision by HQ or was it back-dated?

If it were me, seriously, if it were me, I would NOT appeal this decision. I am certain that their is a strong valid reason behind this letter and I would trust they made the right decision. They are advertising for reserves continually and they wouldn't just reject an application without just cause.

It must feel like a kick in the guts right now, but their is still plenty of time, you are still young with alot more to learn and bring to the force later on down the line. I would take this hit but keep the chin up and stay positive, as hard as that may be to do right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

funkyflea wrote: »
    Is there any time limit on getting the BR form back? Havin trouble gettin the references..

I don't think their is a time-frame as such. Obviously though, the sooner you hand in your BR form, the sooner the background-checks can commence and your application gains some momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I got a letter today saying my application was rejected.... I just cant figure it out... I have 7 days to appeal the decision.. My brother was in a few incidents but 3 weeks ago the chief super sent a letter off to hq and assured me it wouldnt be rejected that it was noting major of noting to worry about...no one else in my family was ever in trouble so im so disappointed but ill defiantly appeal...:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Sorry to hear that, Tommy. I hope your appeal goes ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

5 months and 6 days from the day i submitted my BR, and today i got a call with my date for my medical. cant believe it. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭barneycotter

DK47 wrote: »
    5 months and 6 days from the day i submitted my BR, and today i got a call with my date for my medical. cant believe it. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

How long was it before ya met the super

Does anyone find it takes longer in the city for the super to ring you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

How long was it before ya met the super
    handed form in on 17 of july, meet the super on the 29th of july

DK47 wrote: »
    handed form in on 17 of july, meet the super on the 29th of july
    thats fair quick i had to meet the serg first to go through my br

just got a call to meet the inspector 6 january woooooooooobiggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

hi, just wanted to ask is joining the reserve force of any advantage
    when applying to AGS, and is it benificial in terms of experience,
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

yes its a great experince and will give you an insight into the job itself whether its for you or not... it is a double edge sword do if mess up badly in the reserves it cuts your chances for full time... my advice would be to join them and see how you get on:cool:

da__flash wrote: »
    yes its a great experince and will give you an insight into the job itself whether its for you or not... it is a double edge sword do if mess up badly in the reserves it cuts your chances for full time... my advice would be to join them and see how you get on:cool:
    thanks for your reply, do you have any idea how many
    hours the reserves work, i would be relatively flexible
    with college.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

miss5 wrote: »
    thanks for your reply, do you have any idea how many
    hours the reserves work, i would be relatively flexible
    with college.

GR's do a minium 16 hours during each roster period which is 28 days long, 13 roster periods in the year = 208 hours.

You will decide on an individual basis with your unit sergeant how the hours break down, but its usually two toutrs of 8 hours in duration and sat night is the time you're needed most.

lehanemore wrote: »
    GR's do a minium 16 hours during each roster period which is 28 days long, 13 roster periods in the year = 208 hours.

You will decide on an individual basis with your unit sergeant how the hours break down, but its usually two toutrs of 8 hours in duration and sat night is the time you're needed most.
    thank you, do you know what length the training is?

its 138 hours training total...
    broken down into 2 weekends in the college.
    56hrs of legal lectures in training station in your division which would be about 8hrs each saturday and sundays. equaling 7 days.
    then 40hrs opertaniol policing which is being out on duty. which would be 5 8hr shifts. thats it then

Anyone have a bmi over 30 and still pass the medical?

its 138 hours training total...
    broken down into 2 weekends in the college.
    56hrs of legal lectures in training station in your division which would be about 8hrs each saturday and sundays. equaling 7 days.
    then 40hrs opertaniol policing which is being out on duty. which would be 5 8hr shifts. thats it then
    I read that you need experience volunteering,
    I volunteer with the women's crisis centre about
    12 hours a month, and i'm in the amnesty
    society at college, do you think that's enough?

I read that you need experience volunteering,
    I volunteer with the women's crisis centre about
    12 hours a month, and i'm in the amnesty
    society at college, do you think that's enough?

yes that is sufficent enough to be honest i didnt have much voultneer work behind me when i started this and i managed to get in so you should be fine :cool:

yes that is sufficent enough to be honest i didnt have much voultneer work behind me when i started this and i managed to get in so you should be fine :cool:
    thanks for all your advice and happy xmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I can back up this statement, I found the interviewer wasn't pleased that I hadn't much volunteer work but I still passed. Probably because I found the written exam very easy though!

what length did you have to wait after applying to
    begin training?

what length did you have to wait after applying to
    begin training?

well it varies for different groups you could be waitin 2 weeks to start training or a month but its all pretty quick like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

well it varies for different groups you could be waitin 2 weeks to start training or a month but its all pretty quick like

I don't think that's an accurate answer if I'm thinking the way miss5 is thinking. We've had plenty of examples of people who register their interest on publicjobs one month, wait three months or whatever for their test and interview date, and so on. I would say it's more accurate to say it can take anything up to a year, and if you're unlucky, even longer. The biggest problem is getting vetted, and there's no definite timeframe for that, as it depends on personal circumstances.

:pac:
    klong wrote: »
    I don't think that's an accurate answer if I'm thinking the way miss5 is thinking. We've had plenty of examples of people who register their interest on publicjobs one month, wait three months or whatever for their test and interview date, and so on. I would say it's more accurate to say it can take anything up to a year, and if you're unlucky, even longer. The biggest problem is getting vetted, and there's no definite timeframe for that, as it depends on personal circumstances.

a sorry i miss read the question i read it as she was asking how long after the medical do you have to wait which would be about 2 weeks to a month.

but upon re reading yes its anywhere between 6 months and a year or more. i myself only waited 3 months from applyin to start training but there is others i know who have waited a year and a half so theres really no accurate time scale to be honest luck really

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

well all,

just back from the local inspectors interview,he said he would be recommending me:D progress...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Guys I got an email alert from Public Jobs there a few days ago, re the Garda Reserves. I had to log in and confirm my interest in the role, select my locality and confirm it. I did this and everyhting went through ok.

Im a little confused about the whole thing, does this indicate they will be recruiting reserves again? Or is it a periodical check on registered members to ascertain their continued interest? Really appreciate any help. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

rookie09 wrote: »
    well all,

just back from the local inspectors interview,he said he would be recommending me:D progress...

Hey great news, delighted for you, still waiting on mine, might give the Sgt a little reminder call next week re organising mine, still hopeful of trying to get in for Feb intake, anyone hear of what dates in Feb it might be??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

Spartan09 wrote: »
    Hey great news, delighted for you, still waiting on mine, might give the Sgt a little reminder call next week re organising mine, still hopeful of trying to get in for Feb intake, anyone hear of what dates in Feb it might be??

Thanks Spartan;)

I never done the Sgt interview probably too busy, just the Inspector one.I handed in my BR form 2 weeks before xmas so not too bad of a wait.

that would be great if we made the Feb intake but I would'nt hold my breath...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NiamhL

Hi All

I have just sent in my declaration of interest form, and am a bit worried about the medical (should I reach that point) Do they do the bmi height test in feet or cm. I am 5.67 in feet or 173 in cm it would make a big difference to me if they put me as 5.6.

Many thanks:confused:

Advertisement